Is Geocaching legal in Inyo National Forrest, CA?

BlackbeardBear

I am headed up o Onion Valley tomorrow and I would like to stash a cache. Before I do so, does anybody know if Geocahing is allowed in the Inyo National Forrest? Specifically Onion Valley? I know that physical caching is not allowed in National Parks. Is there a place on the web that has a good compilation of areas in which geocaching is supported/not supported?

Thanks for your help!!

-B

To the best of my knowledge there is ABSOLUTELY (that's just making a point, not yelling) no caches allowed in National forests. Sorry but it is a HUGE no-no.

That would be incorrect. No caches allowed in National Parks and another lands owned and operated by the National Park Service (NPS). National Forests have no catch-all restrictions, however individual forests can enact their own rules as they see fit. Easy way to find out would be to call or email a local forest ranger.

We cache heavily in the Los Padres, Angeles and San Bernardino NFs and are not aware of any such restrictions on geocaching.

Edited by ShowStop

To the best of my knowledge there is ABSOLUTELY (that's just making a point, not yelling) no caches allowed in National forests. Sorry but it is a HUGE no-no.

That would be incorrect. No caches allowed in National Parks and another lands owned and operated by the National Park Service (NPS). National Forests have no catch-all restrictions, however individual forests can enact their own rules as they see fit. Easy way to find out would be to call or email a local forest ranger.

We cache heavily in the Los Padres, Angeles and San Bernardino NFs and are not aware of any such restrictions on geocaching.

Plenty of caches in the Cleveland NF, as well.

Probably the most definitive answer can be found by contacting the Inyo National Forest Service Office. I'd probably start with this contact number:

Jeff Marsolais

Rec/Lands Staff Officer

+17608732515

And if that didn't work, there's a whole page of contact information:

Inyo National Forest Contact Page

Good luck! :D

BTW...my calls went unanswered on the subject.

Edited by Touchstone

Probably the most definitive answer can be found by contacting the Inyo National Forest Service Office. I'd probably start with this contact number:

Jeff Marsolais

Rec/Lands Staff Officer

+17608732515

And if that didn't work, there's a whole page of contact information:

Inyo National Forest Contact Page

Good luck! :)

BTW...my calls went unanswered on the subject.

Isn't there also a bit of an issue with getting "vacation caches" approved? Not being close enough to maintain the cache? BTW, Onion Valley is a nice campground, thinking about heading up there myself.

Isn't there also a bit of an issue with getting "vacation caches" approved?

I would assume so, considering what is stated in the Guidelines:

It may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan.

What an "acceptable maintenance plan" is, may vary a bit from one area to the next, but I can think of several examples of caches placed in Northern California that have local maintainers. An extra hoop to jump through? Perhaps, but not impossible.