Bullet casing?

Wyatt45

I am sure it is on here somewhere, but is it a problem to use an empty cartridge case (shell) for a cache container?

I don't see why not as long as the primer is not live.

However there will be residue especially from the primer that will set off bomb detectors.

I wouldn't use one in an urban setting.

Not a big problem, BUT............ have you got a way to keep it dry inside?

Keep in mind too, that many people do not know the diff between a live and expended round........ to them it is a BULLET, therefore dangerous -- Cacher or muggle, either one.

You may want to note what the container is, in detail, on the cache page. I suspect that would certainly ruin the aspect or your "hide".

*I* don't have a problem with the idea, personally; but you just KNOW someone is going to come along and string together the following argument (or one very similar):

<insert klaxon sound effect here>

"Its a *bullet!" Bullet = Gun!!! Gun = Not Family Friendly. ZOMG!!!

You'll need to insert your own hysteria where appropriate but, mark my words, there WILL BE hysteria. Oh yes, yes there will. And the fact that your cartridge case is totally inert brass tube will be of no consequence my good man. Hysteria being immune to logic.

*I'm a reloader from the wayback so yes, I know the difference twixt bullets, cases, primers etc.

Just so everyones clear. The bullet is the part that leaves the barrel and hits (hopefully) the target. The case is the part that is ejected from the firearm after the round is fired. The round or cartridge is the bullet, case and primer together.

So no you wouldn't want to us a cartridge but a shell I think would be fine however I'd be interested to see how you keep it water tight. If your thinking of having the bullet seal the end I would say that's a bad idea.

Now if your idea is to hide the cache at a range among all the other spent cases..your just plain evil :o

Edited by off-camber

*I* don't have a problem with the idea, personally; but you just KNOW someone is going to come along and string together the following argument (or one very similar):

<insert klaxon sound effect here>

"Its a *bullet!" Bullet = Gun!!! Gun = Not Family Friendly. ZOMG!!!

You'll need to insert your own hysteria where appropriate but, mark my words, there WILL BE hysteria. Oh yes, yes there will. And the fact that your cartridge case is totally inert brass tube will be of no consequence my good man. Hysteria being immune to logic.

*I'm a reloader from the wayback so yes, I know the difference twixt bullets, cases, primers etc.

Calm down Charlton.

Awhile back I went searching for a geocache in the woods. It was rated a 3.5 for difficulty and specified as a micro so I know it was going to be difficult.

I didn't find it right off so I expanded my search area a bit and came across a shotgun shell laying on the ground. I stuck in my bag as CITO then continued my search. I eventually gave up, went on to find another nearby cache, then headed back to me car. As I was about to leave, another vehicle pulled up. It was the CO for the micro. There had been a couple of recent DNFs so she was checking on the cache. I followed her back into the woods, she looked a bit and said, "nope, it's not here any more". Then she described the cache as a shotgun shell, so I reached into my bag and said, "like this?". Before I handed it to her I looked inside, and what do you know...there was a log sheet inside.

It wasn't however in the original location, so somebody (or something) must have grabbed it and tossed it 50-60' away where I found it.

Awhile back I went searching for a geocache in the woods. It was rated a 3.5 for difficulty and specified as a micro so I know it was going to be difficult.

I didn't find it right off so I expanded my search area a bit and came across a shotgun shell laying on the ground. I stuck in my bag as CITO then continued my search. I eventually gave up, went on to find another nearby cache, then headed back to me car. As I was about to leave, another vehicle pulled up. It was the CO for the micro. There had been a couple of recent DNFs so she was checking on the cache. I followed her back into the woods, she looked a bit and said, "nope, it's not here any more". Then she described the cache as a shotgun shell, so I reached into my bag and said, "like this?". Before I handed it to her I looked inside, and what do you know...there was a log sheet inside.

It wasn't however in the original location, so somebody (or something) must have grabbed it and tossed it 50-60' away where I found it.

CACHE PIRATE!

:o:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Calm down Charlton.
???

What part of my post indicated I am anything but calm? Not too mention, cool and collected (as a proverbial cucumber, even)? Was it the "*I* don't have a problem with the idea, personally" part, or something else?

Oh, wait, this is this some obscure Planet of the Apes reference, isn't it?? Sorry, not a big fan...

Calm down Charlton.
???

What part of my post indicated I am anything but calm? Not too mention, cool and collected (as a proverbial cucumber, even)? Was it the "*I* don't have a problem with the idea, personally" part, or something else?

Oh, wait, this is this some obscure Planet of the Apes reference, isn't it?? Sorry, not a big fan...

Most likely referring to the late Charlton Heston, past NRA president.

Please help me to understand how it is possible to have unburnt powder in a spent shotgun shell?

Yeah I wanna hear this explanation.... :o

A spent casing is about as dangerous as a penny....

I agree with the last part of your post, but lemme splain that there CAN be unspent powder in any fired casing.... Uhhh usually it's a reloaded shell that got some moisture intrusion to the powder at some point before or after reloading. Never seen it happen with factory ammo though.

Not a big problem, BUT............ have you got a way to keep it dry inside?

I have caches that aren't water tight. Just use a Tyvek log and everything is fine. This is the answer to the dreaded film can!

On a related note...

My 7yo daughter helps me reload. (She enjoys it.) I let her make replica rounds. Case + bullet. They are left in a bag with a brief explanation of the reloading process. She likes it.

If you want to use a bullet case for a micro-cache, why not paint it a fluorescent colour to assure people it's safe?

Because a cartridge case isn't dangerous any way you slice it. Policeman on TV don't pick them up with a pencil/pen because they are dangerous. :o

As true as that is there are some people you will never get to believe you.

I dug up a portion of my yard this year to plant some tomato plants. While running the rototiller I hit an old shotgun shell. Guess what! It didn't go off.

There is a cacher who has a few of these down around Casa Grande.

Usually stuck in a hole in some sort of wood (fence-post, utility-pole, random log).

Around here, even if the logsheet gets wet, it will usually be dry again within a day or two.

The problems arise when the creosote from the utility-pole seep into the logsheet.

The one that I found was actually right in the open on the ground in a hunting-permitted area. I think it was probably a Bison tube inserted into the shell, but its been a while, so I could be wrong on that point.

I have used them. a 9mm and a 45cal + a #2 O-ring.

Then you'll need to make a handle on one of the casings to be able to remove one from another.

What did you use to seal the primer hole.

I would guess that the spent primer would be best left in place. That's a pretty water resistant fit.

If there's a "hole" won't water enter?

Then you'll need to make a handle on one of the casings to be able to remove one from another.

I would guess that the spent primer would be best left in place. That's a pretty water resistant fit.

I've never seen a firing pin put a hole in a primer. :shocked:

Guess that that means that being concerned over sealing the primer hole is mostly an unimportant issue. That's nice to know.

Thank you.

Guess that that means that being concerned over sealing the primer hole is mostly an unimportant issue. That's nice to know.

Thank you.

You could coat the bottom of the shell with super glue and let it dry if you are that worried about water intrusion.

Thank you.

You could coat the bottom of the shell with super glue and let it dry if you are that worried about water intrusion.

Great suggestion. Thanks again. :blink:

Did you just use friction to hold them together? I need handles on my brass when I put different sizes in the tumbler! LoL.

I also would be interested in seeing a picture.

Is this hidden in an urban setting so it doesn't look out of place? :blink::(:shocked:

Did you just use friction to hold them together? I need handles on my brass when I put different sizes in the tumbler! LoL.

I also would be interested in seeing a picture.

Is this hidden in an urban setting so it doesn't look out of place? :blink::(:shocked:

I just got a mental picture of that.

That would be a neat cache to find. ;)

Found one once (a spent shotgun shell as camo for a cache container). I didn't think twice about it. I've seen 'em in the woods since I was a kid. But since you felt the need to ask the question, I think you already know that somebody will have a problem with it. The real question is whether or not you care.

I know I wouldn't.

GC101B7 is a local cache of that sort here, difficulty rating of 3. Maybe could be rated a little higher as it is located in an area that local hunters use to sight in their rifles every fall.

It has been there since December of 06, no one has complained about it.

What's to complain about? If I'm ever in the area, I might even go for it. :shocked:

Chapter 269: Section 10 (h) of the General Law of Massachusetts states:

(h)(1) Whoever owns, possesses or transfers a firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition without complying with the provisions of section 129C of chapter 140 shall be punished by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $500. Whoever commits a second or subsequent violation of this paragraph shall be punished by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $1,000, or both. Any officer authorized to make arrests may arrest without a warrant any person whom the officer has probable cause to believe has violated this paragraph.

And the definition of Aummunition:

For purposes of this section, “ammunition” shall mean cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun.

Now don't shoot the messenger (pun intended), just pointing something out that has bearing on the discussion.

(h)(1) Whoever owns, possesses or transfers a firearm, rifle, shotgun or ammunition without complying with the provisions of section 129C of chapter 140 shall be punished by imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $500. Whoever commits a second or subsequent violation of this paragraph shall be punished by imprisonment in a house of correction for not more than 2 years or by a fine of not more than $1,000, or both. Any officer authorized to make arrests may arrest without a warrant any person whom the officer has probable cause to believe has violated this paragraph.

For purposes of this section, “ammunition” shall mean cartridges or cartridge cases, primers (igniter), bullets or propellant powder designed for use in any firearm, rifle or shotgun.

Now don't shoot the messenger (pun intended), just pointing something out that has bearing on the discussion.

That would be a real streeeeetch of that law to prosecute a cacher, especially if the shell was modified to be a container one could argue that it is no longer ammunition. It would also be a real waste of taxpayer money to pursue it and everyone knows Taxachussetts can't spare a dime. :shocked:

What does that say? It's probably just that you can't have these items if you have some sort of disability.

Get back to us.

Edited by Knight2000

Do you mind posting Section 129C of Chapter 140 so we can determine whether this container idea would violate it?