What happens when a geocacher dies? (somewhat morbid subject please don't open if your offended)

Matt_B_Good

Just added this line to my profile.

In the case of my untimely demise (or timely demise depending on your point of view) I here by authorize Groundspeak to allow the first cacher to ask adopt any or all my caches.

Think it's good enough to let TPTB transfer ownership?

What would be used for proof of demise?

In the case of my untimely demise (or timely demise depending on your point of view) I here by authorize Groundspeak to allow the first cacher to ask adopt any or all my caches.

Poke 'em with a stick?

pokey.gif

Poke 'em with a stick?

pokey.gif

Please, be fairly certain I'm dead before you start sharpening your corpse poking sticks.

BD, I suppose they could ask me. Certainly they could ask any cachers that showed up at my wake. I can think of a few who will show up, one or to just to make sure I am dead.

Which part of my post annoyed you? The parts where I answered your question? or the one brief sentence where I suggested a better way of phrasing your question?

Remember me? In your "Stag Muggler" thread that I was the only one that you felt understood you. Now you are suddenly annoyed by a suggestion?

You see knowschad, that is where you nailed it.

Many people give there opinions and that is OK. Many disagree, and that is cool too. But you suggest how people should act, indicating that you believe you are better than they are.

You nailed it. Right on the head!

I don't want to argue with you. I'm just trying to help the OP put things into words.

Thank you, Bittsen. I was wondering what my problem was. I appreciate you pointing it out for me. I promise I will try to do better in the future.

PS: Are you suggesting how I should act? (indicating, of course, that you believe yourself to be better than me)

Edited by knowschad

Which part of my post annoyed you? The parts where I answered your question? or the one brief sentence where I suggested a better way of phrasing your question?

Remember me? In your "Stag Muggler" thread that I was the only one that you felt understood you. Now you are suddenly annoyed by a suggestion?

Many people give there opinions and that is OK. Many disagree, and that is cool too. But you suggest how people should act, indicating that you believe you are better than they are.

I don't want to argue with you. I'm just trying to help the OP put things into words.

Thank you, Bittsen. I was wondering what my problem was. I appreciate you pointing it out for me. I promise I will try to do better in the future.

PS: Are you suggesting how I should act?

Hey Pitbull,

Go chase a ball! That rag is allll tattered and slobbery. :o

Some of us are actually interested in the topic. :unsure:

Edited by Snoogans

I was talking about knowschad being annoying, how he made such a big deal about the word corpse. People need to know when to shut up.

I was talking about knowschad being annoying, how he made such a big deal about the word corpse. People need to know when to shut up.

Agreed.

lol.....stag

In such cases, Groundspeak defers to the wishes of the geocacher's surviving family members. As in all other cases, there would not be any "forced" adoptions.

Well, I am a single guy. There is my mom, I have sisters, nieces and nephews but as far as I know none of them geocache. Some don't even know how to use a computer. When I geocache I go with some friends. I wouldn't mind leaving my caches to a friend or someone I know from the community if I die unexpectantly. Can't Groundspeak set up some kind of cache will or something? The person or people in the will could send a notice that the person died. After conformation of death then all caches would be handed over. It can be done. I think the best way now is to hide your account info somewhere and let someone know where it is just in case. Also one of the biggest group of geocachers is retired persons usually up in age. Not a bad idea to have something set up for them.

I'll just bet the the Groundspeak lackeys are waiting for the chance to review death certificates in order to transfer caches! Or would they have to dig up the deceased (or corpses) and poke them with a stick?

Edited by doingitoldschool

lol.....stag

lawl......Mugglers

I'll just bet the the Groundspeak lackeys are waiting for the chance to review death certificates in order to transfer caches! Or would they have to dig up the deceased (or corpses) and poke them with a stick?

don't you mean "passed-on-ness scrolls"?

someone here might be recently bereaved and not be able to take the word "death".

or "certificate".

lol.....stag

lawl......Mugglers

stagmuggle.jpg

I still think the idea of giving the account information to a trusted geocaching friend, whether before kicking off or in some sort "upon the event of my demise" letter, is by far the simplest solution. It avoids any requirement for gc.com to become involved in such matters. Retention, adoption or archiving can all be managed in whatever way your friend things appropriate for each cache.

lol.....stag

lawl......Mugglers

stagmuggle.jpg

How the heck did you get a picture of my cat?

f42a3e37-25ae-4ff3-8ecf-00c3913ac8eb.jpg

I still think the idea of giving the account information to a trusted geocaching friend, whether before kicking off or in some sort "upon the event of my demise" letter, is by far the simplest solution. It avoids any requirement for gc.com to become involved in such matters. Retention, adoption or archiving can all be managed in whatever way your friend things appropriate for each cache.

ayep.

Oh, when I die, please bury me

In my high top Stetson hat.

Put a twenty dollar gold piece in my geocache,

So the boys will know I died stading pat.

- St. James Infirmary

I suspect that when I die, and pass on to the great ammo can in the sky, that I will probably not care about my caches. There is, however, someone with access to my account who will probably try to sell them to the highest bidder! Has this ever been seen on E-Bay?

Can we get a custom-made LOL Cat for The_Bell_Dingers? Thanks in advance. :o

OK, I posted 3 examples of well-known Geocachers who passed away who had family members take over the accounts (and I've personally found caches by all three of them). I found out about all three of them passing in these forums, and they were well-known, well-connected Geocachers. There are many more casual lesser-known Geocachers out there though. Joe Schmuck or Jane Doe who placed 5 or 6 caches in 2007 or something, and have never attended an event, or went out group caching. But if they passed away, I suppose it wouldn't be any different than any of the boatloads of abandoned caches already out there as it is, we just wouldn't know the owner is really no longer part of the Geocaching community.

Edited by TheWhiteUrkel

An incredibly simple solution...much too easy!

Even a corpse (carcass, cadaver) could do it!

I only wish I could be around to see who wanted to adopt which cache.

With any luck I will realize my time is near and be able to take care of this myself.

I'd rather see the caches archived than adopted. Adopting a cache out makes it disappear from the original dead cacher's profile, somewhat erasing history.

Well, that isn't entirely true. The cacher owner's name on the cache page can be edited to say whatever you want. It can either say the original cacher's name, or, more commonly, say the adoptor's name followed by "Adopted from <original hider>" or something similar.

That said, in general, I agree with you. I'm not a big fan of cache adoption unless there is a sound historical reason to do so.

I'd rather see the caches archived than adopted. Adopting a cache out makes it disappear from the original dead cacher's profile, somewhat erasing history.

Well, that isn't entirely true. The cacher owner's name on the cache page can be edited to say whatever you want. It can either say the original cacher's name, or, more commonly, say the adoptor's name followed by "Adopted from <original hider>" or something similar.

That said, in general, I agree with you. I'm not a big fan of cache adoption unless there is a sound historical reason to do so.

Chad is right. One cache I adopted I could have taken out the former owners name. Instead I left it but put adopted by Matt_B_Good. It still links to my profile though.

In such cases, Groundspeak defers to the wishes of the geocacher's surviving family members. As in all other cases, there would not be any "forced" adoptions.

Well, I am a single guy. There is my mom, I have sisters, nieces and nephews but as far as I know none of them geocache. Some don't even know how to use a computer. When I geocache I go with some friends. I wouldn't mind leaving my caches to a friend or someone I know from the community if I die unexpectantly. Can't Groundspeak set up some kind of cache will or something? The person or people in the will could send a notice that the person died. After conformation of death then all caches would be handed over. It can be done. I think the best way now is to hide your account info somewhere and let someone know where it is just in case. Also one of the biggest group of geocachers is retired persons usually up in age. Not a bad idea to have something set up for them.

Where do I submit my application/resume?

I'm a dead ringer for the job, no pun intended.

Chad is right. One cache I adopted I could have taken out the former owners name. Instead I left it but put adopted by Matt_B_Good. It still links to my profile though.

Unfortunately, it's not Chad that's right.... Just someone who claims to know him :o I think that the best solution suggested thus far is to leave login/account info with family (who are aware of the hobby)...

Edited by mrbort

Have it in their will that their head stone is a giant ammo can with an access panel containing a log book and GC number chiseled on the front.

I've visited a cache with a geocoin tracking number engraved on the tombstone. The coin owner is holding onto the original coin, with a six foot altitude difference.

My daughter has promised me that my tombstone will have a large traffic cone engraved on it, along with the word "ARCHIVED." :o

I wonder if you could get the cache reviewer to write "Interred" instead of "Published"....

Since we do not have dual ownership of geocaches and I see no way we can will them to someone what happens to a geocacher's Geocache when he or she dies?

When I pass away... my husband will archive them all as he does not prefer to geocache without me.

When my husband passes away... I have no idea at this time what I would do. :o

If we both pass away at the same time our caches will die a slow death until the listings become full of NM logs & then eventually NA logs. The end.

What happens? The geocaches begin to deteriorate
Right, like the ... um ... Newly Minted Sky Cacher.

My mom died a few months ago (and yes, she died, she didn't "pass"). Her will contained a paragraph, which I'm told is fairly standard, saying

I contemplate making a separate writing in which I give certain items of tangible personal property, other than money, coins, or property used in trade or business, to those persons designated in the separate writing. The writing will be in existence at the time of my death, signed by me, and will describe the items given and the beneficiaries with reasonable certainty.

There was no such "writing", and the evidence is that she never gave the will another thought after writing it in 1995, including not after my father's death in 2000 -- their wills were essentially identical and I'm sure they made the decisions together.

It's easy to see that such a "writing" could be used to give ownership of a gc.com account (though it's intangible rather than tangible, but I doubt that would be a problem) to someone if you don't want to make the prior arrangements of providing someone else with your login info. Even if you want your caches archived rather than adopted out, this would enable someone else to clean up your caches in an orderly fashion.

Makes it official with no need to modify the will, which is a relatively big deal. You might find that your will already contains such a paragraph.

Edward

don't you mean "passed-on-ness scrolls*"?

someone here might be recently bereaved and not be able to take the word "death".

or "certificate".

So it's official - Geocachers have to log off before shuffling off this mortal coil?

* Otherwise known as The Groundspeak Sign-off Log.

:shocked:

Although the name can be edited the cache still shows in the owners profile, no the past owners.

Here is a point I made in an earlier "corpse" thread and it belongs here:

Which brings me to an interesting question...at least to me...

I wonder if anyone has ever designated cache ownership to someone else in a will.

:blink:

THAT would be interesting ;)

GPSCache passed away and all of his caches were adopted by his sister, Trail Angel.

886b911d-ad8d-43fe-bbe9-8e7d23c3678a.jpg

I only knew Robert through email, but I actually met his sister on the trail while I was maintaining this cache near 10,000 feet. I think it was her first cache, though she never logged it.

Robert hid some pretty cool caches. I really enjoyed the ones of his that I did. This one is STILL on my to do list. Has been for YEARS.

Which brings me to a point.... He hid some great caches, but his profile doesn't show his contribution to the community, because his caches have been adopted out...... :shocked:

There should be a way to carbon copy a cache when it is adopted from a deceased cacher so their stats are left intact. Just a small token of respect. :(

Edited by Snoogans

I've been giving this post of mine some thought and I think a reviewer note on the cache would work to convey my wishes as well as a "dead letter" for my local geocaching group at the time of my demise.

That way a reviewer would be able to see my wishes for each of my remaining active caches and a dead letter would release my wife of that burdon and let local friends handle the details for passing on my caches.

Does that sound like it would work? :shocked: I don't see why it wouldn't.... :blink:

When I'm gone the physical caches won't mean much to me, but I wish them to go on until they need maintenance. Anyone that wants to adopt one can do so after that BUT my waypoints will be archived as soon as they need maintenance.

The adoptors will need to submit their own caches and get them approved. WHY? Because my stats are MINE. When I adopt out a cache I lose credit for and most importantly the history of my contribution. No thanks on adoption of my waypoints. The location and the cache yes, but not my history.

What happens? The geocaches begin to deteriorate and eventually will get archived.

No big deal. It just takes time.

I have a few remote hides that could last 100+ years due to being hidden in an ammo can in high desert and on BLM land that will never be developed due to historical indian relics rock paintings within .25 of them.

An ammo can will last a looooong time up there and at the rate it's getting found it will be roughly 40-50 YEARS before I need to replace the large log book inside.

Edited by Snoogans

I've been giving this post of mine some thought and I think a reviewer note on the cache would work to convey my wishes as well as a "dead letter" for my local geocaching group at the time of my demise.

That way a reviewer would be able to see my wishes for each of my remaining active caches and a dead letter would release my wife of that burdon and let local friends handle the details for passing on my caches.

Does that sound like it would work? :shocked: I don't see why it wouldn't.... :blink:

Only that it is my opinion that an active cache requires an active owner. If you are willing to have the cache archived once it reaches the point of no longer being a usable cache, would you be ok with having the cache archived immediately? Is there something about keeping it around for a while longer?

Edit: Say for example I wanted to manage the site could I request that it be archived since the reviewer knew you were...ahem somewhere else.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Only that it is my opinion that an active cache requires an active owner. If you are willing to have the cache archived once it reaches the point of no longer being a usable cache, would you be ok with having the cache archived immediately? Is there something about keeping it around for a while longer?

Edit: Say for example I wanted to manage the site could I request that it be archived since the reviewer knew you were...ahem somewhere else.

For some of my caches in city parks and urban environments yes. It would be okay. For my remote caches hells NO!

I have a few remote hides that could last 100+ years due to being hidden in an ammo can in high desert and on BLM land that will never be developed due to historical indian relics rock paintings within .25 of them.

An ammo can will last a looooong time up there and at the rate it's getting found it will be roughly 40-50 YEARS before I need to replace the large log book inside.

I have caches in place NOW with the serious potential of outliving me and possibly even my son given a good long life.

What better way is there of being rememberd as a cacher than to say "Hey, that Snoogans did it right. 100+ years and he STILL has an active listing that doesn't need maintenance long after his death."

It's not outside the realm of possibility. :(

Have it in their will that their head stone is a giant ammo can with an access panel containing a log book and GC number chiseled on the front.

I've visited a cache with a geocoin tracking number engraved on the tombstone. The coin owner is holding onto the original coin, with a six foot altitude difference.

My daughter has promised me that my tombstone will have a large traffic cone engraved on it, along with the word "ARCHIVED." :D

I would make it a point to go see that if I wasn't archived first.

I'd also leave behind offerings of Lock-N-Locks,logbooks, trinkets and sprigs of poison ivy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Closer to topic kinda sorta maybe.

Why should GS have to have any kind of pre adoption process on the off chance one may unexpectedly start caching in the great beyond?

So that more money has to be spent because people are lazy?

Her is an ancient novel idea...

It is called a Will!

§4. Geocaching.

All gps receivers are to go to ______

An event should be held to distribute the contents of my cache bag.

My ground speak user name are ______ and ______, all geocaches should be adopted out to the individuals noted in addendum X.

Addendum X

GCXXXXXX

GCXXXXXX

GCXXXXXX

Are to go to _____

GCXXXXXX

GCXXXXXX

Are to go to _____

ETC ETC

All caches not listed or excepted for adoption are to be archived and their containers removed from play.

Rewrite the will once then use an addendum that can easily and regularly be updated.

If somebody cares that much about their hides then they wont leave it up to GS to do something about them.

Since we do not have dual ownership of geocaches and I see no way we can will them to someone what happens to a geocacher's Geocache when he or she dies? Some people have hundreds of placements and sure they will stay active for awhile even after they die but nobody is obligated to maintain them. I know people abandon Geocaches at times and don't go pick them up per the guidelines but that is unlikely with a person who dies. If they become disabled chances are they can put many of them up for adoption but no corpse is going to maintain a geocache.

A good friend and geocaching buddy of mine recently passed away. What we are doing is picking up where he left off. His hides will be maintained by me and a small group of his caching friends who have bookmarked or are otherwise watching his active hides. Even his unfound, difficult unknown caches will be maintained with help from his family and his hand written notes on each.

For his family's sake, we have requested that his caches not be adopted out because as soon as they are adopted by someone else, they are no longer a part of his geocaching history. His young daughter will this way have the opportunity to visit his account to read and remember.

If/when the time comes that one of his caches can no longer be maintained and they have to be archived, it's likely that one of us will place a memorial cache nearby to bring others to a place where he once thought would be a nice place for another to enjoy.

As we've discussed before, it would be very good to have a distinction between "hider" and "current owner". Two IDs attached to a cache instead of one. (And of course there are caches where it would be good to have multiple IDs for each role.) This applies when only the caching impulse has died as well as when the cacher him/herself has died.

Edward

Since only 2 examples were given.....

Here in the NY area there was an old hiker who went on GC.com as "BigBill6" and while I think he didn't find or seek any caches, he hid dozens of them along the beautiful lower Hudson River western shoreline from Palisades Park in NJ up to and past Bear Mountain, perhaps a string of 50 miles.

When he passed away I believe his brother took over the caches, but asked any who wanted to adopt them to do so and many in the local caching community did.

On 9/25/2009 at 2:30 PM, Zop said:

A good friend and geocaching buddy of mine recently passed away. What we are doing is picking up where he left off. His hides will be maintained by me and a small group of his caching friends who have bookmarked or are otherwise watching his active hides. Even his unfound, difficult unknown caches will be maintained with help from his family and his hand written notes on each.

For his family's sake, we have requested that his caches not be adopted out because as soon as they are adopted by someone else, they are no longer a part of his geocaching history. His young daughter will this way have the opportunity to visit his account to read and remember.

If/when the time comes that one of his caches can no longer be maintained and they have to be archived, it's likely that one of us will place a memorial cache nearby to bring others to a place where he once thought would be a nice place for another to enjoy.

Be honored to join in THAT effort!