What happens when a geocacher dies? (somewhat morbid subject please don't open if your offended)

Matt_B_Good

This is a old topic to be brought back up!

Now having played for around 7 years I have had friends who have caches hidden die.  Some are adopted and some taken care of by others.   Sad to see and most of them a sudden death so they didn't have time to figure out what they wanted to do with there caches.  My daughter has cached with me for the whole time.  I will have her take over the account but she wouldn't be able to take care of our many hides. I was thinking to adopt out our popular ones but now that I think about it I would want them on my account so if anyone wanted to look at my profile they could see all of our hide history.

We have a bunch of favorite points on our hides.  I would like for people to be able to look back and see that we had hides with many favorites.  A new trend I am finding is that cachers will go back threw archived caches and remove favorites from caches that are archived.  I wish there was a way to freeze a account when someone dies so that is how there profile will look forever but I know that isn't possible.

• Upvote 1
12 hours ago, WarNinjas said:

A new trend I am finding is that cachers will go back threw archived caches and remove favorites from caches that are archived.  I wish there was a way to freeze a account when someone dies so that is how there profile will look forever but I know that isn't possible.

Wow.  That's a shame... 

When those "points" first came out, the first thing we did was give favorites to archived caches. They were our favorites.   :)

On ‎9‎/‎23‎/‎2009 at 2:29 PM, Keystone said:

I've visited a cache with a geocoin tracking number engraved on the tombstone. The coin owner is holding onto the original coin, with a six foot altitude difference.

:D

Someone beat me to it.  I want a bench insteada headstone.  Had plans on having them cut in a drawer for a log, then realized the probable possible issues/expense of maintenance.   The code won't add much of anything to it in cost, just that it may have folks years later wondering what the heck that's about (unless you believe the hobby's around forever).   :)

More on-topic ... almost twice the age of the other 2/3rds, when we first placed caches on the team account,  it was agreed how that issue would be handled.

- 'Course the assumption is I go first...    ;)

It's also in my scanty will, with passwords and stuff to archive whatever's left but one.  

On our profile:

Now that we are getting older, and occasionally read about the death of cache owners it occurs that a note in our profile in the event of our demise would be useful. If our account goes suddenly dormant with no login and no response to NMs, NAs and reviewer notes, for at least 2 months, we would prefer our caches to be archived before they become junk. We always took pride in a good cache experience. Do not unofficially adopt or prop them up. Everything has its time, both people and caches. Thanks and happy trails. :)

• Upvote 1
57 minutes ago, L0ne.R said:

On our profile:

Now that we are getting older, and occasionally read about the death of cache owners it occurs that a note in our profile in the event of our demise would be useful. If our account goes suddenly dormant with no login and no response to NMs, NAs and reviewer notes, for at least 2 months, we would prefer our caches to be archived before they become junk. We always took pride in a good cache experience. Do not unofficially adopt or prop them up. Everything has its time, both people and caches. Thanks and happy trails. :)

Sounds good, but do you have a plan in place to have the caches retrieved?  They'll still "become junk" if archived and left in place.

Edited by The Jester
  • Upvote 1
24 minutes ago, The Jester said:

Sounds good, but do you have a plan in place to have the caches retrieved?  They'll still "become junk" if archived and left in place.

In my experience they'll become junk either way. Propped up junk, forever replaced by more junk, or archived forgotten junk. 

Good point though. I will have to add that we would like our caches removed and a note logged to say it was removed. There are enough people who know us that they will likely wonder what happened and will check our profile. Reviewers will also check and I hope they will post a note on our cache pages expressing our wishes to have someone remove the cache and log that they did so the reviewer can properly archive. Thanks Jester.