What happens when a geocacher dies? (somewhat morbid subject please don't open if your offended)

Matt_B_Good

Since we do not have dual ownership of geocaches and I see no way we can will them to someone what happens to a geocacher's Geocache when he or she dies? Some people have hundreds of placements and sure they will stay active for awhile even after they die but nobody is obligated to maintain them. I know people abandon Geocaches at times and don't go pick them up per the guidelines but that is unlikely with a person who dies. If they become disabled chances are they can put many of them up for adoption but no corpse is going to maintain a geocache.

Since we do not have dual ownership of geocaches and I see no way we can will them to someone what happens to a geocacher's Geocache when he or she dies? Some people have hundreds of placements and sure they will stay active for awhile even after they die but nobody is obligated to maintain them. I know people abandon Geocaches at times and don't go pick them up per the guidelines but that is unlikely with a person who dies. If they become disabled chances are they can put many of them up for adoption but no corpse is going to maintain a geocache.

I am aware of two separate situations like that. One, a very well respected local cacher... his caches were informally "adopted" and maintained by a few other locals. A few have since been archived, but others are still viable after about six years.

Another case I am familiar with, the cacher's next of kin requested that her husband's caches *not* be adopted and simply opted for them to be archived.

I'm sure each case is different, and I'm interested in hearing how other situations have been dealt with.

PS: I'd suggest you edit your post and change "corpse" to "the deceased"

I am aware of two separate situations like that. One, a very well respected local cacher... his caches were informally "adopted" and maintained by a few other locals. A few have since been archived, but others are still viable after about six years.

Another case I am familiar with, the cacher's next of kin requested that her husband's caches *not* be adopted and simply opted for them to be archived.

I'm sure each case is different, and I'm interested in hearing how other situations have been dealt with.

Hay I gave fair warning..

Edited by Matt_B_Good

In some cases a geocaching realitive could take it over. In my case I don't have my own gps and I have to borrow my daughters gps to get the cords for it. I can see where this could be an issue for some cachers.

What happens? The geocaches begin to deteriorate and eventually will get archived.

No big deal. It just takes time.

Yeah, but a couple hundred caches kinda make you wonder. I plan on providing information on how to adopt my few over to a fellow cacher. All part of the cache maintenance plan if you ask me.

Edited by BlueDeuce
  • Upvote 1

I merged two duplicate threads together, since both of them had replies.

I have a virtual "High on a Windy Hill" at Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic National Park. I am 84 and I will be having a ECHOcardiogram taken today to see how my aortic valve is doing. I realize I don't have that many years left and I tried to adopt it out but understand that virtuals can not be adopted. It is in a beautiful location and I hate to see it go when I do. There is a new earth cache nearby but the climb to it would exclude many of the older and handicapped visitors. Dick, W7WT

• Upvote 1
Yeah, but a couple hundred caches kinda make you wonder. I plan on providing information on how to adopt my few over to a fellow cacher. All part of the cache maintenance plan if you ask me.

I've seen instances where the community has continued to maintain the caches. They remain in good shape and continue being found for years.

I've also seen where, like BlueDeuce has mentioned, the cacher must have left their login info with someone. That person logged in and successfully adopted out the caches. In this case, the person died unexpectedly, but their caches were adopted by someone else (after the adoption rules had changed), so they must have left their info somewhere.

And then I've seen where the caches have been archived because they weren't being maintained.

I know of several cases. One in Ontario one in New York and one in New Jersey. All taken care of by family members (note 2009 log-ins on all three of them). I didn't know this was the official Groundspeak policy though. Not a big deal at all. The reviewers will be made aware of the situation by the community, and it will be resolved.

Could you hand your account over to someone else to take care of the caches in your absence? Adopt the account, instead of the cache, in other words.

As noted in a post just above, providing a fellow cacher with all of your login information can work as an adoption en masse. Your fellow cacher then has the option of how to manage each of your caches - archiving or maintaining or even formally adopting them out. Really no different than having an executor for anything else in an estate.
  • Upvote 1

Hey, no, you didn't. You warned us not to open the topic if we found it offensive. The person who replied to you did not find your topic offensive. They suggested that your terminology in the post could use some modification. These "corpses" you refer to are cachers that many people knew and appreciated. PC or not PC is not the question, it's a matter of respect for the dead.

You are already establishing a solid track record for being an offensive communicator (ie. Stag Mugglers); you can decided now whether or not to continue in this disregard for civility, or you can actually heed some well-intentioned advice from cachers who try to answer your questions.

Hey, no, you didn't. You warned us not to open the topic if we found it offensive. The person who replied to you did not find your topic offensive. They suggested that your terminology in the post could use some modification. These "corpses" you refer to are cachers that many people knew and appreciated. PC or not PC is not the question, it's a matter of respect for the dead.

You are already establishing a solid track record for being an offensive communicator (ie. Stag Mugglers); you can decide now whether or not to continue in this disregard for civility, or you can actually heed some well-intentioned advice from cachers who try to answer your questions.

Edited by doingitoldschool

The subject may seem a little morbid to some, but I bet there are a lot of cachers that have thought about it.

In such cases, Groundspeak defers to the wishes of the geocacher's surviving family members. As in all other cases, there would not be any "forced" adoptions.

This is good to know. I am only 62, but we do start thinking about these things as we get older. I have told my family to retrieve and archive my caches if, and when I die.

However, if they can adopt them out for me, I will leave instructions on that and let them try that first. :o

When I'm gone the physical caches won't mean much to me, but I wish them to go on until they need maintenance. Anyone that wants to adopt one can do so after that BUT my waypoints will be archived as soon as they need maintenance.

The adoptors will need to submit their own caches and get them approved. WHY? Because my stats are MINE. When I adopt out a cache I lose credit for and most importantly the history of my contribution. No thanks on adoption of my waypoints. The location and the cache yes, but not my history.

What happens? The geocaches begin to deteriorate and eventually will get archived.

No big deal. It just takes time.

I have a few remote hides that could last 100+ years due to being hidden in an ammo can in high desert and on BLM land that will never be developed due to historical indian relics rock paintings within .25 of them.

An ammo can will last a looooong time up there and at the rate it's getting found it will be roughly 40-50 YEARS before I need to replace the large log book inside.

Edited by Snoogans

[.......

Corpse is a noun, deceased is an adjective. The original poster is correct in his usage. [:o] and on topic.... In our area there are still a couple caches owned by a deceased person that are being maintained by local cachers.

Why? Is the word "corpse" offensive?

Man, this PC stuff is getting out of control.

This is not a matter of political correctness.. it is a matter of respect. Corpse in this context is a rather crude term to use when referring to someone's loved one. A synonym is "cadaver".

PS: Nobody that knows me would do anything but burst out laughing out loud at the thought of me being considered "PC".

Edited by knowschad

Corpse in this context is a rather crude term to use when referring to someone's loved one. A synonym is "cadaver".

I know someone that named their medical school cadaver Abby.

Get it?

Abby Cadaver :o:unsure::unsure:

Well, I'm sure they're going to hell for that too. :unsure:

Edited by Snoogans

Your "fair warning" : (somewhat morbid subject please don't open if your offended)

The subject did not offend me. I responded to the subject, and then I responded to your use of a word that could have been more delicately rephrased.

when i'm dead, i will have died. i will not have "passed away", "passed on", or "gone to a better place".

my remains are just that. corpse, body, cadaver, whatever.

there's no point dressing it up or making it fluffy.

additionally, there's nothing PC about attempts to make it all delicate.

"politically correct" does not actually refer to the most delicate or inoffensive terminology. it refers to terminology approved for use by any particular political group or movement.

what is politically correct is in fact often MORE offensive to many, depending on the politics of the group.

the fact that more an more people are using the term "politically correct" to mean "inoffensive to everybody" is just one more item on the huge offal pile of public misuse of language people don't really understand but use anyway.

[.......

Corpse is a noun, deceased is an adjective. The original poster is correct in his usage.

deceased

adjective 1. no longer living; dead.

noun 2. the deceased, a. the particular dead person or persons referred to.

b. dead persons collectively: to speak well of the deceased

This reminds me that I need to have a little talk with the Queen about what I want done with my caches.

Edited by Castle Mischief

Have it in their will that their head stone is a giant ammo can with an access panel containing a log book and GC number chiseled on the front.

I've visited a cache with a geocoin tracking number engraved on the tombstone. The coin owner is holding onto the original coin, with a six foot altitude difference.

My daughter has promised me that my tombstone will have a large traffic cone engraved on it, along with the word "ARCHIVED." :o

• Upvote 1

"politically correct" does not actually refer to the most delicate or inoffensive terminology. it refers to terminology approved for use by any particular political group or movement.

I was using it in the terms of someone suggesting that one word would be offensive, so use another word that will probably be less offensive, when the word used is an accurate and correct word to use. That's definitely being PC even if that's not where the term originated.

the fact that more an more people are using the term "politically correct" to mean "inoffensive to everybody" is just one more item on the huge offal pile of public misuse of language people don't really understand but use anyway.
Oh the IRONY of your posts where YOU point out the misuse of language. Heh.

I was using it in the terms of someone suggesting that one word would be offensive, so use another word that will probably be less offensive, when the word used is an accurate and correct word to use. That's definitely being PC even if that's not where the term originated.

Oh the IRONY of your posts where YOU point out the misuse of language. Heh.

no, it's not being politically correct. just because a bunch of people suddenly up and decide to use the words "banana-flavored" to mean "explosive" does not make it correct no matter how many people pile on and use it that way.

furthermore, i simply do not misuse language.

sorry.

no, it's not being politically correct. just because a bunch of people suddenly up and decide to use the words "banana-flavored" to mean "explosive" does not make it correct no matter how many people pile on and use it that way.

"Politically Correct" somewhere was adopted as code to mean "WHAT ARE YOU A FILTHY PINKO COMMIE?"

Sometimes people will soften their public language or ask that do the same just because it's a nice thing to do. It was a suggestion after all.

What was this topic about again?

Exactly. What is was NOT about is the definition of "politically correct", or whether or not my one-sentence suggestion was an attempt to be PC.

The question at hand is, "what happens when a geocacher dies". I'm surprised nobody has yet inquired if we are referring to a LPC hider vs. an ammocan hider. :o

This is not a matter of political correctness.. it is a matter of respect. Corpse in this context is a rather crude term to use when referring to someone's loved one. A synonym is "cadaver".

PS: Nobody that knows me would do anything but burst out laughing out loud at the thought of me being considered "PC".

Why, why do you care? I have never seen anyone offended so easily. You made your point in your fist post but really I don't care if your offended. I warned you before entering the thread. Knowing the word corpse may be used you entered anyway. So please drop it. This thread was suppose to be about what happens to caches when one dies. Let's put it back on that and stop with this childish nonsense. Your far to easily offended. next time when a thread indicates it may not be for the easily offended please don't open it up or at the very least don't post to it.

Why, why do you care? I have never seen anyone offended so easily. You made your point in your fist post but really I don't care if your offended. I warned you before entering the thread. Knowing the word corpse may be used you entered anyway. So please drop it. This thread was suppose to be about what happens to caches when one dies. Let's put it back on that and stop with this childish nonsense. Your far to easily offended. next time when a thread indicates it may not be for the easily offended please don't open it up or at the very least don't post to it.

Looked in the mirror lately? Seems to me that you are as least as easy to be offended as any other. If you want to stay on topic stop replying to off topic posts.

Who do you feel should be the other party in a dual ownership situation? A fellow cacher or Groundspeak?

In such cases, Groundspeak defers to the wishes of the geocacher's surviving family members. As in all other cases, there would not be any "forced" adoptions.

Well, I am a single guy. There is my mom, I have sisters, nieces and nephews but as far as I know none of them geocache. Some don't even know how to use a computer. When I geocache I go with some friends. I wouldn't mind leaving my caches to a friend or someone I know from the community if I die unexpectantly. Can't Groundspeak set up some kind of cache will or something? The person or people in the will could send a notice that the person died. After conformation of death then all caches would be handed over. It can be done. I think the best way now is to hide your account info somewhere and let someone know where it is just in case. Also one of the biggest group of geocachers is retired persons usually up in age. Not a bad idea to have something set up for them.

Well, I am a single guy. There is my mom, I have sisters, nieces and nephews but as far as I know none of them geocache. Some don't even know how to use a computer. When I geocache I go with some friends. I wouldn't mind leaving my caches to a friend or someone I know from the community if I die unexpectantly. Can't Groundspeak set up some kind of cache will or something? The person or people in the will could send a notice that the person died. After conformation of death then all caches would be handed over. It can be done. I think the best way now is to hide your account info somewhere and let someone know where it is just in case. Also one of the biggest group of geocachers is retired persons usually up in age. Not a bad idea to have something set up for them.

Take the initiative. Leave behind a mechanism that give your friends your account name and password. I don't think that Groundspeak would get involved in "conformation of death".

Generally speaking, it is the individual's responsibility in these matters. I don't expect Volvo to "set something up" for me to make sure my car is passed on to Kuma, my Border Collie mix.

• Upvote 1

What on earth gave you the impression that I was offended. I was not offended. I was merely suggesting a softer, kinder (more mature) way of phrasing what you were trying to say. You never know... there may be some reading your question that just had a loved one die very recently.

Looked in the mirror lately? Seems to me that you are as least as easy to be offended as any other. If you want to stay on topic stop replying to off topic posts.

Who do you feel should be the other party in a dual ownership situation? A fellow cacher or Groundspeak?

Don't mistake my annoyance of a poster for being offended.

Don't mistake my annoyance of a poster for being offended.

Which part of my post annoyed you? The parts where I answered your question? or the one brief sentence where I suggested a better way of phrasing your question?

Remember me? In your "Stag Muggler" thread that I was the only one that you felt understood you. Now you are suddenly annoyed by a suggestion?

Which part of my post annoyed you? The parts where I answered your question? or the one brief sentence where I suggested a better way of phrasing your question?

Remember me? In your "Stag Muggler" thread that I was the only one that you felt understood you. Now you are suddenly annoyed by a suggestion?

You see knowschad, that is where you nailed it.

Many people give there opinions and that is OK. Many disagree, and that is cool too. But you suggest how people should act, indicating that you believe you are better than they are.

You nailed it. Right on the head!

I don't want to argue with you. I'm just trying to help the OP put things into words.

Take the initiative. Leave behind a mechanism that give your friends your account name and password. I don't think that Groundspeak would get involved in "conformation of death".

Generally speaking, it is the individual's responsibility in these matters. I don't expect Volvo to "set something up" for me to make sure my car is passed on to Kuma, my Border Collie mix.

I think this is the best way to think about the situation.

If we two disappeared off the face of the Earth tonight what would happen to The Blorenges' caches? :o

Although our daughter and her partner have a geocaching account they don't do much caching but at least they understand how it all works! I guess that at some point they might think, "What do we do about the caches?" and maybe they'd go out and collect them in. Maybe it's time for a codicil on the will. :unsure:

I wouldn't be bothered about making arrangements in advance for having them adopted: Although we like to think they're worthwhile caches (insert your own definition of "worthwhile") I'm sure other local cachers would soon fill up any gaps in the caching landscape.

MrsB

You see knowschad, that is where you nailed it.

Many people give there opinions and that is OK. Many disagree, and that is cool too. But you suggest how people should act, indicating that you believe you are better than they are.

You nailed it. Right on the head!

I don't want to argue with you. I'm just trying to help the OP put things into words.

rolleyes7cm.gif