What's your favourite thing about geocaching?

Angusp2

The enjoyment is being jostled out of my comfort zone and being put into a situation where I'm forced to deal with conditions that are not on my own terms. I'm forced to problem solve, observe, work with those around me and think on my feet.

It puts me in places I would never have normally ended up. It allows me to have some quiet time with a goal that is the net result of my own actions.

...that and occasionally I come across naked people doing things that naked people do in the woods.

The enjoyment is being jostled out of my comfort zone and being put into a situation where I'm forced to deal with conditions that are not on my own terms. I'm forced to problem solve, observe, work with those around me and think on my feet.

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Plus I like the feeling of doing something secret... going on a secret mission that all the dog walkers and joggers have no idea about. Trying not to be seen while I poke around in some bushes.

Plus its good exercise!

The beautiful women.

Maybe I should try geocaching in NE Ohio...

For me... the hunt, I guess. Haven't really analyzed this. But to go somewhere, look for something another person hid, and to find it, that's a large part of the thrill. The others - getting out, finding out new places, learning new things - that's all fringe benefits.

But when I'm not in my home area, doing a geocaching run usually brings me to a lot of interesting places different from the usual tourist route. Instead of doing the usual stuff at Tokyo earlier this year, I went geocaching instead. Saw lots of interesting temples, got lost in interesting ways, asked for help from the locals, was forced to learn the subway system. Saw lots of temples I wouldn't otherwise have even known existed, and found out where Hachiko is buried.

Edited by Chrysalides

It puts me in places I would never have normally ended up. It allows me to have some quiet time with a goal that is the net result of my own actions.

...that and occasionally I come across naked people doing things that naked people do in the woods.

Great post (apart from the last bit, arguably!). I'd agree with pretty much all of the above.

My favourite thing is the find itself, closely followed by finding a TB or GC. I dunno why I get a thrill out of them, but I do, and feel a little disappointed if there's not one there (as you can deduce, I don't exactly check beforehand to see whether one is or isn't as it's part of the surprise). It's a bit like seeing whether you've got anything interesting in the mail - more often than not, no, nowadays. Sad, I know!

The thrill of the find is accentuated if it's ultra quick, or if you've spent AGES looking for something, like I did a couple of days ago. Then you get the "duh - why did that take so long?" feeling!

:shocked:

Yesterday I found myself visiting on old "mineshaft" (for want of a better description). Later in the day I took my dog to hike to a ridge on a trail that I had never known about. Both experiences reminded me of the reasons I started caching. The places it could take me. The adventure along the way. The people I could meet.

Hi Geocachers!

I was just wondering what is your favourite thing about geocaching?

From

Angus.

Oh My!!! Let me count the ways!

:Gets me outside with my family, friends...neighbours! (I could be a cause of GPS sales spikes in our area!)

:We see places in our own city we had no idea about. Found new parks, bike paths and cuddle spots! Nothing like watching a sun set together after a 6 hour geocaching hike!

:Connects me with people from across the world...geocoins, TB and one day, my own hide!

Last but not least....I am no longer a home body. My Hubby is amazed that I am always wanting to rush out the door for our next find!

Only bad thing....tough to be productive at home, so many caches so little time!

Seragilo

Being new to Geocaching just since the Labor day weekend, Thanks to our Daughter my favorite thing is the fact that you can stay close to home and see places you wern't even aware were there. We like to be able to take the dogs with us for these outing and are having a blast of fun and getting exercise at the same time. We are anxious to place our first cache and are working on putting it together. We placed our first trackable and then to be able to watch it go places that is so cool.

I was just wondering what is your favourite thing about geocaching?

The women!

Haven't found any yet but I know they are out there!!

:o

I happen to know that all the good ones are taken now that Mrs. Captain Picard is off the market. :D

Unless Miss Jenn is still single. :blink:

Not all of them.

Point the way!!

Best thing about caching?

Last Sunday, late afternoon, I realise I'm standing beneath a bridge, by a quiet stream and awarded a view of a place I'd never be if not for the micro I'm seeking. I have these moments from time to time and even if briefly frustrated by too much cover to search or bad satellite reception, I do love it. It gets me out and about and exploring more places thant I would have otherwise.

On a somber note, yesterday evening I was standing by the memorial erected where the remains of Christina Williams were found, along Imjin Road in Marina, California, a young girl abducted and murdered and found 6 months after her disappearance.

Sometimes it's a moment of quiet reflection.

The main thing for me other then all the other great reason above is simply.

Cost.

All other activities here in the UK, i.e Tennis, Indoor rock climbing, Golf etc all cost and arm and a leg for perhaps a couple hours worth of fun? whereby I can go out ALL day and spend maybe £5 to £10 in swag and a little fuel (if on my motorbike) or if I ride/walk/hike it costs me nothing.

Thank you for such a great hobby/sport.

Not to hijack the thread but are there any other hidden treasures like Geocaching out there that I have yet to find?

Edited by Safanese

Geocaching gives me the incentive to get out of the house, even if for just a little while. Whether I'm going for a quick park and grab, or a more involved cache in a park or on a trail. It's much better then wasting away in front of the computer or TV. :blink:

I also like the feeling of being in on a secret. I love driving by an area and knowing there is a cache hidden there, unseen by most of the world, but we know it is there. :D