Why do you think muggles seem to find vandalising caches so fun and amusing?

Angusp2

Hi Geocachers!

I was wondering what other geocachers think about cache vandalism and muggling.

I don't see what some muggles find so fun about destroying cache containers.

From

Angus

Down here in Hawaii, I would tend to think that it is bored teenagers who would do that kind of thing. I personally think it is

1. they don't understand what geocaching is about. People can be afraid of what they don't understand

2. they are afraid that if they don't do vandalize it, their friends will brand them as a "geek" or a "nerd."

Hi Geocachers!

From

Angus

Down here in Hawaii, I would tend to think that it is bored teenagers who would do that kind of thing. I personally think it is

1. they don't understand what geocaching is about. People can be afraid of what they don't understand

2. they are afraid that if they don't do vandalize it, their friends will brand them as a "geek" or a "nerd."

I think they come in 3 major categories.

1. Bored teenagers

2. Eco warriors who see geocaching as a scourge on the level of clear cutting and strip mining

3. Disaffected former geocachers with an axe to grind against an individual cache owner, the local community in general or this website.

4. Disaffected current geocacher with an axe to grind against an individual cache owner, the local community in general or this website.

I think they come in 3 major categories.

1. Bored teenagers

2. Eco warriors who see geocaching as a scourge on the level of clear cutting and strip mining

3. Disaffected former geocachers with an axe to grind against an individual cache owner, the local community in general or this website.

4. Disaffected current geocacher with an axe to grind against an individual cache owner, the local community in general or this website.

In attempt to elicit a reaction.

Simply because they can................

and knowing nobody can do anything about it.

:o

Both sentences are 100% correct. I think they're both sentences, the one has like 15 periods after it. :unsure:

I think it's mostly kids, and they're trying to be cool. I'd like to think most adult muggles will put it back after they figure out what it is. I've seen several caches that were put back, even a couple after being taken home.

I don't really think the "disaffected former Geocacher" thing is really that common. Unless of course it happens to your cache.

I think the majority are people who don't know what they are and pick them up, teenagers or otherwise. Also, animals, construction and maintenance equipment, groundskeepers, etc account for a number of missing caches.

There are an awful lot of "drunken idiots" in the world, though, who genuinely enjoy making other people unhappy, or who are just so wrapped up in their own selfishness that they don't care what impact that has on others. My perpetual example of this sort of idiocy is the person who throws the McD bag full of trash out of the window. There is no possible excuse. Nobody can honestly say they didn't know it was wrong. Unless the bag of trash spontaneously caught on fire, the only possible reason is idiots behaving badly because they feel like it. Because they can, as someone else said. The same thing is true for people who knowingly take or vandalize geocaches.

I detest people like this, whether caching or littering or other behavior. I can't even say it strongly enough. If I were an old-worlder, I'd spit every time I referenced these people.

Hi Geocachers!

From

Angus

Simple.............. it comes down to p-a-r-e-n-t-i-n-g.

Sorry if that offends anyone, 'tis the way I feel about today's society.

:unsure::unsure::o

You are dead on. The day that people stepped in and said you can't spank your kids was the day society went downhill.

Not sorry if this offends anyone.

Funny this should come up. On Sunday, we were at a family get-together, and we were trying to explain Geocaching to a friend's boyfriend. It was obvious that he thought caching was stupid, by the comments he was making. Someone told him that there are 3 caches on the trail that he walks his dog on every day, and he said he was going to find all three of them and destroy them.

I think there are just a lot of jerks out there, who don't understand that people aren't always interested in the same thing that they are. I think that they think they're being funny, and don't understand the financial part of it, either. People may think Geocaching is stupid, or whatever they think, but they need to remember this: some people do it for their health... hiking is a great way to lose weight, do cardio, and for me, keeps my knees from hurting (strange, I know). What better incentive than to have a Geocache at the end?

Maybe we should start a Geocaching Awareness Day.

Edited by Andrea106

Hi Geocachers!

From

Angus

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

You are dead on. The day that people stepped in and said you can't spank your kids was the day society went downhill.

I completely agree.... :o

Hi Geocachers!

From

Angus

:unsure::unsure::unsure:

Think of all the wars, crime and violence that hitting a person smaller than yourself has put a stop to throughout the years. :o

I think that attitude contributes more to a vandalism mindset than choosing to not smack your kid.

Edited by Castle Mischief