Your favorite cache...

texasgrillchef

After reading who knows how many number of posts and threads about people not liking this cache or another. Including not liking nano's, or micros, or in some cases even smalls. My curiosity has peaked and now wonder what you do find fun, good interesting in a cache.

I also ask this, because at the time of writing this post, I have 22 cache hides. Several are multi's, I have some Deadend (Dead end, Dead-end) caches, gaurdrail caches, LPC's, Garden caches, Some in Parks on the trail system. Some are PNG's, Some require some hiking time, some require thought. I have micro's, small, & regular.

Of my most popluar caches (Being with those that have found/DNF'd the most) one is micro, one is a small, one is at a dead-end (Deadend, dead end), the other is an LPC.

My least poplular with only a few finds, is a multi, is in the park, requires a little brain power, and good 15 min hike (one way). The final is also in an ammo can. All other stages/waypoints aren't physical, but questions to answer.

The ones in the park on the trail system aren't the most popluar nor are they the least. They are hovering around middle of the road.

So I kind of scratch my head when people say they don't like micro's, LPC's and gaurdrails as those caches of mine that are getting the most hits are what everybody says they hate! :blink:

So now I ask... Think back (I know this might be hard for those of you with several thousand finds or more). But what one cache is your alltime favorite? By favorite, is I mean the cache that you have found to be the most enjoyable cache you have ever found. (Provide a link to that cache if possible, please) and tell us why that particular cache you found to be the most enjoyable.

Also, if you wish to add & I hope you do. What are the 3 most important criteria that you look for in a cache that helps you determine if you will pursue that cache or not.

Thanks... :huh:

TGC

P.S. I don't want this thread to be about the caches you hate, but to be about the caches you love & why.

Edited by texasgrillchef

Wow, hard one. I don't think I can limit it to one cache so I'll give you some of what I like in a cache. Beauty, solitude, history, and uniqueness. A cache need not have all of them to be fun, but the more the merrier.

Often you will find that the easier to get to caches acquire the most logs. People can grab 'em while at the store or getting gas or on their way from one place to another. Take a look instead at the length of the logs. You'll see that the best caches have the most average words per log.

Wow, hard one. I don't think I can limit it to one cache so I'll give you some of what I like in a cache. Beauty, solitude, history, and uniqueness. A cache need not have all of them to be fun, but the more the merrier.

Often you will find that the easier to get to caches acquire the most logs. People can grab 'em while at the store or getting gas or on their way from one place to another. Take a look instead at the length of the logs. You'll see that the best caches have the most average words per log.

Exactly. What makes you savor the moment at a certain cache? Where is it? What is it? Why is it? That is what we would like to know. So go ahead, and tell us. As for mine, it is my first find. The inexplicable, unexplainable joy in finding out what it is, and what you can do in it. So many possiblities. Aaaaaahhh..... The joy the feeling that you are now included in a very fun and diverse sport/hobby that is sure to bring you many adventures, and many lessons and joys. Try to lean back and remember what it is that you felt when you found your first cache. Drink in the feeling that you had. That is what I think is my favorite cache. Thanks. :blink:

Just asking here.... so for you. It's more about where the cache takes you, not so much about the challenge of finding the cache itself?

Good thing to ponder. So before I wrote this I went back to check logs. Funny thing. The cache with the longest "Average" log was my Multicache LPC, in a micro.... My other most popular cache is long logs as well.

Go figure.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c6d5-452b-9cda-

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ba-f4bbd9fcc4cc

TGC

My curiosity has peaked and now wonder what you do find fun, good interesting in a cache.

Caches that result in me ending up someplace I otherwise probably would never have gone to. Recent favorite: Temple of Doom, in Santa Cruz, CA. I've lived in this area for decades, and my Santa Cruz buddies had never mentioned this. I went WILD when I saw the cache listing, and spent at least as much time photographing what I could as I spent looking for the cache.

Caching has me exploring wonderful parks, like Natural Bridges (again, in Santa Cruz). If you're headed the right way on the trail you find the cache, walk around the corner and BOOM there's the rock formation right in front of you. It's spectacular! Same for Earthcaches, which show me fascinating things that I didn't know about or recognize.

For the actual cache itself I adore uncommon and cleverly rigged caches. I'm a noob, so I haven't even touched on the variety of ways caches can be hidden, but I'm constantly amazed at how things can hide in the open...and how things can be hidden. There's some seriously creative people out there!

My caching regret? That caches in airports have become things of the past. I don't get to travel often anymore, but this summer I found myself in six different states (gotta love those layovers) without the time or the money to depart the airport and hit the closest cache. Only managed to cache at my destination.

This is a really good post. The question really depends on the individual cacher and what brings them to the sport.

For me, I am trying to get my find count up. For those who want to do that, would prefer the easy to grab traditional caches that are park and grabs or at the least, take 15 or 20 mins to find.

With that said, I have recenly enjoyed doing day hikes and hitting several caches on a trail. I live in Washington State and well we have countless areas that serve the day hiker/cacher and we have the only APE cache left in the U.S. If you choose to stay with the park and grabs, then you miss out on a whole another deminision of the sport.

There has been a couple of multis that I have done in a nature area with well established trails that I have thoughly enjoyed. The multis that are most memorable were multis that brought you to an area with some historical value to it. I seem to like mutlis where the cache brings you to an area that you would not normally go AND gives you a bit of a history lesson as well. In those instances, I dont mind doing a 5 point multi where I am learning about an historical event that took place in the area that I am standing in.

Earthcaches are also fun for me. Washington has quite a dramatic landscape and as such we have tons of earthcaches here. Again, these caches bring me to areas I would not normally go AND have some sort of educational value to them. I find that enjoyable.

So for me, I suppose its the mood I happen to be in and what I kind of cache day I want to have.

So now I ask... Think back (I know this might be hard for those of you with several thousand finds or more). But what one cache is your alltime favorite?
My favorite was the one I saved for my 500th find (and my 100th puzzle/mystery find), ANX: The Angle of Eternity. It's part of workerofwood's Assume Nothing series (ANX = Assume Nothing 10), which he describes as "common hides with a twist".

ANX is a puzzle multi-cache, and each stage is creative in a different way. It starts in a parking lot (but not with your typical LPC), and ends at a nice wooded spot a few miles away. I found it with two friends, including the person who introduced me to geocaching. It works really well with a small group (say, 3-6 people).

What are the 3 most important criteria that you look for in a cache that helps you determine if you will pursue that cache or not.
Well, that depends...

Sometimes I'm in "blast radius" mode. When I'm taking a detour to find a cache on the way to work or on the way home after work, I just pick a cache at the top of my "nearest caches" list and go find it. It's an excuse to ride my bike a few extra miles, as much as anything.

Or perhaps I've got some unexpected time to go caching. I pick a cache near the top of my "nearest caches" list that I think will be interesting. I might pick a cache near/on a public sculpture, or a well-hidden cache that will be a challenge to find (one of catomcat's "Somewhere" caches, for example). Or I might just pick whatever's closest.

Or perhaps I'll be traveling, and I've got some time to research caches near my destination. If I'll be caching on my own, or with other puzzlers, then "on-site" puzzles catch my attention. If I'm with my wife, or with other non-geocachers, then I look for caches at interesting locations. And I often solve some of the local puzzles, hoping the finals are somewhere that I'll be able to visit.

My favorite caches are those that require a good solid hike to a remote wilderness area with wildlife and awesome views all around!! I've seen lots of cool cache containers and hides in the city, but my favorite caches are still the ammo cans and tupperwear containers that are hidden way up in the hills.

This cache might be my all time favorite cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...63-05ea4c12a38d

This was definately my 2nd favorite cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...1d-6a6b4e1680c9

Edited by LUCKYSTRIKE1

'Subway Cache' in Rochester, NY

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bf-42ac96e50e50

I can't even put into words how amazing of an experience that was!

History nerd that I am, one of my favourite fields is the physical history of cities - What used to be here? In the case of Rochester's abandoned Subway line, it is still there, and I had the opportunity to explore it! :blink:

If you have any interest whatsoever in Urban archaeology, this is simply a must do. I'd suggest bringing someone along, though...

My favorite cache so far was probably GC12AJ6. I don't really care for park & grabs, so I guess I'm all about the location. Landmark caches are great. I also like caches that have a bit of a walk to them too. Nothing crazy, but a good leg stretch is always welcome. As for hides, I'm not really a big fan of really well hidden caches. Maybe this is a side effect of living in the mountains (ie poor coordinates on hider), but combing through 200 square meters of forest for a size 2 cache gets old.

Very interesting. What I noticed so far with the posts in this thread is that everyone here finds that WHERE a cache takes them to be the most important part of what makes the cache enjoyable. A couple listed but I took it as their second most importat part of the cache is the cache itself and the challenge of finding the cache. Even then the way I understood it though, was even they said that where the cache takes them is the most important part of making a cache enjoyable.

I find that very interesting! That it takes a cache to get someone off their butt to discover something new & what got them off their butt isnt what they find the most enjoyable. ie the challenge of finding the cache.

In that case... it shouldn't really matter if you log a cache as a found or dnf. You just discovered somethign wonderfull! :blink: right?

Anyways... keep going folks I want to hear more.... And anybody have links to some of their favorite caches?

To date, my all time favorite find was The Dark Place.

I know that there is no definitive measure of cache value, as each of us play this game for different reasons. Some of us like to increase our smiley count regardless of what awaits us at the end of the hunt. Some of us like sharing unique places that Joe Public doesn't know about. Some of us like scenic hikes. Heck, at least one ole fat crippled guy in here likes sloshing through alligator infested swamps. :blink: Some of us like combinations of all of the above. Some of us like entirely different things. It's all good. As Father Snoogans, of The Church Of Dudeism once opined, "If you're not having fun while caching, you're doing something wrong".

One measure of cache quality which seems to lead me to the types of caches I enjoy the most is average log length. While it's not a perfect measure, it certainly helps guide me to adventures. When I see someone who typically writes half a sentance for their finds, and at one particular cache they write half a paragraph, I like to ask them about it. The most common response if for their eyes to light up, as they happily recount their quest, indicating to me that they really enjoyed themselves at that one.

Just asking here.... so for you. It's more about where the cache takes you, not so much about the challenge of finding the cache itself?

Good thing to ponder. So before I wrote this I went back to check logs. Funny thing. The cache with the longest "Average" log was my Multicache LPC, in a micro.... My other most popular cache is long logs as well.

Go figure.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...c6d5-452b-9cda-

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...ba-f4bbd9fcc4cc

TGC

If I was to give you a list of my top ten favorites there would actually be an LPC on it. It is in a historic place with a well written cache page that explains the history you are seeing. It isn't about the size of the cache, it is about how enjoyable the experience is. Your average LPC has nothing to interest me.

I will admit that there was a time when I would log any cache I was near. It became monotonous. Now days I am much more selective about my cache hunting.

... it shouldn't really matter if you log a cache as a found or dnf. You just discovered somethign wonderfull! smile.gif right?

Not at all. I have had just as much fun on a hunt ending in a DNF as I have had on finds.

It isn't that we wouldn't get off our buts before but that there are places we never knew existed. Everyone knows of a cool place that most people don't. GC.com is a long list of those places. The list just happens to also have a bunch of less interesting places.

First, a comment on the popularity of a cache.

I don't measure the quality of a cache by it's popularity; that is, if you measure popularity by the total number of finds. I've got 26 hides and the most frequently found caches are the caches that are the most accessible. My most frequently found cache is 100' or so from one of the major roads that comes into town. There is a easy access pull off spot just across the road that makes the cache really accessible. Despite the fact that it's on a waterfront and has a pretty nice view the logs are usually not that interesting.

I have three caches in an "Ihaca Scenic View" series that are also very accessible and the views are really nice. They get the second most finds and the logs almost always mention the wonderful view (especially Ithaca Scenic View III).

However, I'd have to say that my most popular cache, in terms of what people are writing in the logs, is one that is about 300' down a trail that starts in a parking lot. It's one of those "I would never have known that this was here" caches and the spot where the cache is located is really pretty.

My favorite cache, based primarily on location, would have to be "Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe". There is a statue of Dr. Livingstone close to the cache, and the waterfalls are just amazing.

My favorite "I"m glad I was finally able to find this cache" would be "The Spot" (GC39). There is just something special about a really old cache.

Best puzzle cache that I've found: Gilligan's Island in Central New York. A fun, and not too difficult puzzle, followed by a 1/2 mile paddle out to an island...and I got FTF on this one.

Best puzzle (that I solved but not found): Key to Cryptonomicon. Nothing else has come close.

Best Earthcache: Jockey's ridge. It on some sand dunes in the Outer Banks. I'd driven by many times but had never climbed up to the top. It's just a really cool spot and has a really interesting logging requirement.

Best micro: Colosseum (just outside the Colosseum in Rome). This cache is used as an example of a micro on the geocaching page on wikipedia.

The 3 criteria that I look for are:

1) Kid friendly. If the cache is kid friendly it's going to be much more enjoyable for the whole family.

2) Intricate. I love caches with multiple dimensions to them, whether it be a puzzle, multi, or maybe it's a totally different experience at night.

3) Well-maintained. Recent logs stating that the cache is in great shape are a big plus for us.

I’m gonna go against the grain here; my favorite (so far) was completely unplanned and unexpected. Was out finding the second half of a multi that was part of a state-wide challenge. It was August. It was hot! It was humid! It was miserable! During the walk through the Tall Grass prairie, a Turkey vulture followed me most of the way to and from the cache, and I was getting worried that he might know something I didn’t! :o When I got back to the truck, I noticed another cache kinda nearby, at least near to the road out of there. The only reason I had that cache loaded was it’s in my standard PQ radius. I’d never previously looked at it, read it, or even seen the cache name. It was just another icon out in the middle of nowhere. But there I was, out in the middle of nowhere. The chiggers and ticks I already had from the previous walk weren’t going to get any worse because of this. I quickly checked the cache page on my phone, only looking at the name, D/T, and size. "Cool, an ammo can, don’t need to know anything else!" Click GO TO, and off I go.

The end of the walk took me over a small hill, from the top of which one could see thousands of acres of remnant Tall Grass prairie; as far as they eye could see. Things got even better from there. At the bottom of the hill was a fair-sized spring-fed pond, surrounded by cottonwoods, which were capturing the first hints of a breeze on this otherwise miserable day. Found a spot on the edge of the pool in the shade, sat down and enjoyed the sweet relief! What a great spot, totally hidden in the midst of the prairie, not much of a hint of its presence visible from much more than 400 feet away! Just a perfect spot to be on a day like this! Had absolutely no plans to find this cache; great to be here! Oh yeah; found the cache and signed the log, almost an afterthought at that point. Stayed for a while, then back to the truck and back home.

Several hours later I’m recording the finds, and finally get a chance to read the cache description and previous logs for GCGOQ3: Log Cabin Neighbor. Turns out I managed to find that cache exactly one year after the previous find (which was then quickly followed by a DNF)! And still only 4 finds in the following 13 months! Got me hooked on trying to find “lost and forgotten” caches. :unsure:

I’ll always contend the best caches are the ones that surprise you!

I think that different types of caches suit different needs for different people. I don't understand people that whine about too many of one type, or that they hate other types. If you don't like them, don't find them; it's pretty simple.

Personally, I love the ones that I have to trek out along a deer path for, or that take me to cool places. There are plenty of them around, but I don't do those as often. I usually cache at lunch, and often have work clothes on, and/or limited time. My lunchtime caches tend to be fairly close to the trail, and no more than a 15 or 20 minute walk from my car.

Generally speaking, I also do not take my three young kids trekking through the woods. Some people do, but my 3 little girls start to whine and complain the first time they hit a nasty spider web, their mom is almost paranoid about poison ivy, and the little one doesn't do well with a long trek. PNGs are GREAT for my kids, and they love those. Anything that is easy to get to, low terrain rating, little to no bushwhacking, and not too far of a march is great for a family outing, and we do the most of that those types. I also grab those at lunch or while driving about.

I have a very hard time imagining an occasion in the next 5 years where I will be able to get out to a cache of any type that involves a multi-mile hike, no matter how cool the scenery. It just isn't going to happen anytime soon.

My favorite was GC1169 - Mission 9: Tunnel of Light. I was able to do this historic and unique cache before the tunnel was closed, and, beyond being the last A.P.E. cache in North America, it was definitely a first for this Kansas boy to emerge from the long, dark tunnel onto the side of a mountain with a waterfall next to me. Wish I could have shared this, but I was the only one sent to the conference I was skipping. :o

To the OP:-

I think it's interesting that most of your post equates popular caches with being the most found ones. I'm guessing that most people will describe favorite caches that are rarely found due to a difficult/clever puzzle or hide or perhaps a cache that takes people to a remote location. These kinds of favorites cache provide an interesting experience of one kind or another.

The numbers game that lots of high-find-count cachers play is something quite different and results in lots of finds on easily accessible caches. So, in my mind, favorite caches are rarely going to be the most commonly found caches.

Anyway, to your question, I have a favorites bookmark list that has a random assortment of favorites but here's the cache location comes to mind as being amongst my very favorite:

ad3918f2-7459-42a9-b0df-64c674ed0610.jpg

"Welcome to the Dance" - GCNJMX. It's probably 10 or 15 miles from San Francisco but it has the feel of a very very remote northern location.

If I had to pick just one, it would be this one: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...4d-0674a335144d

It is on a trail, and the camo is amazing. I'm not going to say what it is, just in case someone wants to find it and hasn't yet and reads this, but email me if you want to know.

I love great camo. I love hides that make me think, and I do enjoy hiking to a cache.

We also found one that we had to look all over a huge lime wall in a state park. It took forever, and finding it finally was amazing. Like I said, I love great camo.

I also enjoy multi's.

Keep going everybody... I have loved reading all your comments about what you enjoy as far as caches go.

I have learned alot by just reading what I have read so far.

Of all the caches I have found so far. There have been serveral I have enjoyed and liked very much. Some that I haven't. However, in defense of the caches I didn't enjoy very much at the time were mostly because I wasn't in the "mood" to find those. I am not a quiter and hate to quit in the middle of a search just because.

In the upcoming weeks, I am taking this vast knowledge and submitting a number of caches that incorporate a few of the following items.

1. To be a challenging cache to retrieve. Something clever (I hope)

2. Placing a few caches that make for something as an easy PNG yet provide something of a challenge in finding the cache or be an interesting place to go. At least from my perspective.

Thanks... and keep going I enjoy reading & hearing about what you have enjoyed in your finds. Sure beats reading those who have rants about caches! :D LOL

TGC

After reading who knows how many number of posts and threads about people not liking this cache or another. Including not liking nano's, or micros, or in some cases even smalls. My curiosity has peaked and now wonder what you do find fun, good interesting in a cache.

So now I ask... Think back (I know this might be hard for those of you with several thousand finds or more). But what one cache is your alltime favorite? By favorite, is I mean the cache that you have found to be the most enjoyable cache you have ever found. (Provide a link to that cache if possible, please) and tell us why that particular cache you found to be the most enjoyable.

Thanks... :D

I won't narrow it down to one cache, so I made a list:Kit Fox's Top Finds Bookmark.

Also, if you wish to add & I hope you do. What are the 3 most important criteria that you look for in a cache that helps you determine if you will pursue that cache or not.

*1 Scenery / remoteness of cache / caches with very few found it logs.

*2 Historical value

*3 Long found it logs, and large picture galleries.