Looking for an easier way to.....

Hello everybody...

I am looking for an easier way to cache. No I am not looking for easy cache's or a way to find caches easier as far as the actual hunt goes.

Equipment used:

Garmin 530hcx GPSr

iPhone with geocaching.com's iPhone app.

Netbook with AT&T wireless. (Used only when I am out caching in my truck)

Mapsource software that came with upgraded map software for my Garmin GPSr.

My S&R trained Beagle named Sara. :blink: (Not always used)

Currently this is my process...

I download using PQ's the new caches for DFW with the following filters. Within 250 miles, Traditional & Multi, New within the last 48 hours, Active, Not Mine, Not Found by me.

I then import these into a pre-existing mapsource file. This pre-existing mapsource file allready contains all of the geocaches for the DFW area that I had download previously. Minus any geocaches that I have previously found. Once I find them, I delete them from this mapsource file & move them to a new mapsource file I call "Geocaches Found".

Currently in that main mapsource file, I have about 12,000 geocache sites. Obviously including more than just DFW.

Now... My Garmin 530hcx GPSr will currently hold no more than 1000 waypoints. Doesn't matter how big a microSD card I have installed. Currently I have a 16gb microSD card installed. It would be great if my GPSr could hold all 12,000 plus waypoints. But currently it is unable to do so. Who knows maybe in the future Garmin will store the waypoints on the microSD card instead of internal memory.

I use Mapsource to transfer those waypoints/cache sites to my GPS. I also use it to transfer back to Mapsource any "potential cache sites" that I may find & have marked for possibility as a future cache site.

Here is my problem and why I am looking for a better way to do things.

I travel frequently for many different reasons the entire DFW metroplex. For those who have a map, or live in DFW. I travel as far north as Denton, to as far south as Waco, to as far east as Rockwall, to as far west as Weatherford.

Most of the time I am in my Truck, but not all the time. About 20% of time I am in my wife's car. (With or without her)

Now if my GPS held all 12,000 plus waypoints (Cache sites) I wouldn't have a problem. As a result, each day before I leave I quickly download about 850 waypoints/caches to my GPSr for the areas that I might be in for that day. (I leave a space for about 150 waypoints in case I need to mark a location for anything. Geocaching related or not)

One of the problems with Mapsource and importing PQ's to it, is that it adds new cache sites to my database, but it does not delete those cache's/waypoints that have been archived. As a result, when I transfer those 850 waypoints/caches to my GPSr some of them will have been archived or disabled.

Of course I could use my iPhone to check for each cache prior to going, but realize how time consuming that would be to check 850 caches to see if they have been archived or disabled! Same thing applies to using my Netbook with AT&T 3g internet.

So right now... when I see I am near a cache on my GPSr that I think I might want to get. I stop and look at my geocaching iPhone app to check it out. (&/or my netbook as well). I will then take some time for the small area I am using either my iPhone or Netbook to see what I want to get & put them in my GPSr que.

As you can tell a very tedius process sometimes. I would use my iPhone alone, however as we all know it isn't as accurate. Besides that sometimes (especially when I am camping, hunting, or doing some hiking in the unknowns) I don't have 3g access. I am sure anyone with an iPhone or AT&T can relate to that. In which case all I have is my pre-loaded GPSr, hunting for a cache that might be disabled or even worse archived!

Anyone have any ideas of how I could do this in an easier way, using the equipment/software that I allready own so I don't end up looking for non-existant caches?

I was thinking is their a way to get a list of those caches that have been archived in the last "X" days so that I could then delete them from my Mapsource file on a weekly basis?

Or maybe someone who has a Garmin 530hcx knows how to use the microSD card & load more than a 1000 waypoints on the unit?

Another ideal solution I thought of, besides having a GPSr that could hold an infinite amount of waypoints (Based only on the amount of memory available via microSD card) would be to have a program that could load all 830,000+ geocache sites into it, then automatically load all the new cache sites on a daily basis and & the same time remove all the ones that were archived. (Using filters of course) Have it do all this automatically on a daily basis. That way I could quickly & easily download/update my GPSr & know that all the cache sites I updated my GPSr were active and available.

Problem with PQ's is that they are only limited to 500 caches, You only get 5 PQ downloads per 24 hours. As far as I can tell PQ's won't give you a list of archived/disabled caches & even if it does. Mapsource &/or the GPSr can't use that list to automactically delete those waypoint/caches.

Anyways... any ideas?

TGC

Hello everybody...

I am looking for an easier way to cache. No I am not looking for easy cache's or a way to find caches easier as far as the actual hunt goes.

Equipment used:

Garmin 530hcx GPSr

iPhone with geocaching.com's iPhone app.

Netbook with AT&T wireless. (Used only when I am out caching in my truck)

Mapsource software that came with upgraded map software for my Garmin GPSr.

My S&R trained Beagle named Sara. :blink: (Not always used)

Currently this is my process...

I download using PQ's the new caches for DFW with the following filters. Within 250 miles, Traditional & Multi, New within the last 48 hours, Active, Not Mine, Not Found by me.

I then import these into a pre-existing mapsource file. This pre-existing mapsource file allready contains all of the geocaches for the DFW area that I had download previously. Minus any geocaches that I have previously found. Once I find them, I delete them from this mapsource file & move them to a new mapsource file I call "Geocaches Found".

Currently in that main mapsource file, I have about 12,000 geocache sites. Obviously including more than just DFW.

Now... My Garmin 530hcx GPSr will currently hold no more than 1000 waypoints. Doesn't matter how big a microSD card I have installed. Currently I have a 16gb microSD card installed. It would be great if my GPSr could hold all 12,000 plus waypoints. But currently it is unable to do so. Who knows maybe in the future Garmin will store the waypoints on the microSD card instead of internal memory.

I use Mapsource to transfer those waypoints/cache sites to my GPS. I also use it to transfer back to Mapsource any "potential cache sites" that I may find & have marked for possibility as a future cache site.

Here is my problem and why I am looking for a better way to do things.

I travel frequently for many different reasons the entire DFW metroplex. For those who have a map, or live in DFW. I travel as far north as Denton, to as far south as Waco, to as far east as Rockwall, to as far west as Weatherford.

Most of the time I am in my Truck, but not all the time. About 20% of time I am in my wife's car. (With or without her)

Now if my GPS held all 12,000 plus waypoints (Cache sites) I wouldn't have a problem. As a result, each day before I leave I quickly download about 850 waypoints/caches to my GPSr for the areas that I might be in for that day. (I leave a space for about 150 waypoints in case I need to mark a location for anything. Geocaching related or not)

One of the problems with Mapsource and importing PQ's to it, is that it adds new cache sites to my database, but it does not delete those cache's/waypoints that have been archived. As a result, when I transfer those 850 waypoints/caches to my GPSr some of them will have been archived or disabled.

Of course I could use my iPhone to check for each cache prior to going, but realize how time consuming that would be to check 850 caches to see if they have been archived or disabled! Same thing applies to using my Netbook with AT&T 3g internet.

So right now... when I see I am near a cache on my GPSr that I think I might want to get. I stop and look at my geocaching iPhone app to check it out. (&/or my netbook as well). I will then take some time for the small area I am using either my iPhone or Netbook to see what I want to get & put them in my GPSr que.

As you can tell a very tedius process sometimes. I would use my iPhone alone, however as we all know it isn't as accurate. Besides that sometimes (especially when I am camping, hunting, or doing some hiking in the unknowns) I don't have 3g access. I am sure anyone with an iPhone or AT&T can relate to that. In which case all I have is my pre-loaded GPSr, hunting for a cache that might be disabled or even worse archived!

Anyone have any ideas of how I could do this in an easier way, using the equipment/software that I allready own so I don't end up looking for non-existant caches?

I was thinking is their a way to get a list of those caches that have been archived in the last "X" days so that I could then delete them from my Mapsource file on a weekly basis?

Or maybe someone who has a Garmin 530hcx knows how to use the microSD card & load more than a 1000 waypoints on the unit?

Another ideal solution I thought of, besides having a GPSr that could hold an infinite amount of waypoints (Based only on the amount of memory available via microSD card) would be to have a program that could load all 830,000+ geocache sites into it, then automatically load all the new cache sites on a daily basis and & the same time remove all the ones that were archived. (Using filters of course) Have it do all this automatically on a daily basis. That way I could quickly & easily download/update my GPSr & know that all the cache sites I updated my GPSr were active and available.

Problem with PQ's is that they are only limited to 500 caches, You only get 5 PQ downloads per 24 hours. As far as I can tell PQ's won't give you a list of archived/disabled caches & even if it does. Mapsource &/or the GPSr can't use that list to automactically delete those waypoint/caches.

Anyways... any ideas?

TGC

I didn't read anything about GSAK in your post. Importing into Mapsource, from what I read, will not archive or disable your cache list when you get a new PQ from Groundspeak. Gask, on the other hand, will mark the caches as disabled or archived (depending on which has happened) and then you can upload a select few to your GPSr as needed.

I understand using Mapsource as it is shipped with most Garmin units, I just don't use it myself. GSAK with Microsoft Streets & Trips and/or Google Earth seems to work better for me, whereas others might be used to Mapsource with something else. Either way, most people seem to use GSAK as the way to upload waypoints from their computer to their GPSr as the program will mark those unavailable as such.

PQ's are limited and don't seem to be changing anytime soon. Deleting archived caches isn't something that any program I know does. Unfortunately, you seem to be stuck.

Good luck though. Try GSAK though. You get 30 days free and then nagged until you buy. Worth a shot I guess.

Edited by Riverwolf

If your are looking to get all 12K caches into your GPS, one of those custom POI loaders would be useful. I don't use them but have seen posts about them in the past and even tried it once, but I didn't find it necessary for my caching style. Don't know if all 12K will go in but you can get 1000s more caches in as POIs.

:blink: For me I decide where I want to hike, look for caches on the website,write down coordinates in a notebook,leave house. Four easy steps.

Irrelevant, in this case. The OP says that he never knows where, in his general area, he might find himself having to travel to on any given day, and so wants to have local caches preloaded.

I have played with several different ways of manipulating PQs. I find that for me there are two things that make my caching much more fun. First is to pull up the Google Earth viewer, look for a place that looks like it will be fun to visit and then see what caches sound like fun in the near by area. The second is to ask fellow cachers. What caches they enjoyed. What ones to avoid. Who hides the best or worst.

I find that loading a bunch of caches in GSAK, even if filtered through a PQ, doesn't give me useful information, just tons of it. I can't find all those caches and no longer want to. I'm happy just finding a couple that are fun.

:blink: For me I decide where I want to hike, look for caches on the website,write down coordinates in a notebook,leave house. Four easy steps.

Irrelevant, in this case. The OP says that he never knows where, in his general area, he might find himself having to travel to on any given day, and so wants to have local caches preloaded.

Not sure of CD's motives but as my reply expands on the same points I'll field this. While not what the OP is looking for it is offered as food for thought. An alternative that may net him an improved caching experience.

So far all very very good points to ponder. Thanks for everybodies input so far.

I will tell you this. When I have a camping/hunting/hiking trip coming up. I do just as many of suggested. During my normal research for where I want to go. Such as making reservations, & other normal travel plans & arrangements. I do scope out the caches in the area that I am going too &/or be in. I take the time to read each of the cache pages before I have even left home. So I know what caches I want to attempt before my family even gets there.

When I am there, thats when I use my iPhone, Netbook to see if any of the caches I am interested in have been disabled or archived. (Assuming I have 3g/internet access when there of course)

Very easy process when I know exactly where I am going to be & when. Same thing I do for all the caches that are within a 10 mile radius of my home. Those I am still slowly working on. :blink:

Just haven't found an ideal solution yet for when I am out & about & have no idea what "sub" area (of the larger area) that I am going to be in.

I will check out GSAK and see what I can make of that program.

I will also check out Garmins POI loader. I don't know if it will work with my 530hcx unit or not.

Thanks so far.... Will also stay tuned for anyone elses replies as well..

TGC

While the number of waypoints that I manage is much smaller (I think 12,000 would cover almost all of the state of NY), here is what I do.

I have a bunch of different PQs set up. One of them is all of the non-puzzle caches that I have not found within 15 miles from home (max, 500 caches). I also have a PQ that has all of the puzzle caches that I have not found (max, 200 caches). I use GSAK and have a NotYetFound and a Puzzles database. I replaced the NotYetFound database everytime I download a new PQ. I leave the old waypoints intact for the Puzzles PQ as that database also has "corrected coordinates" for puzzles that I have all ready solved. I combine the two databases into an "All" database which I download to my GPS (after deleting all waypoints in the GPS). This provides a large number of caches that I can search for when I'm not sure where I'll be traveling in a 50 mile radius.

I also have several other PQs in areas East, North, South, and West with center points which cover areas with a large cluster of caches. They tend to overlap my main PQ somewhat and usually contain a max of about 200 waypoints. When I know I'll be traveling (or just want to go caching) in specific direction I'll download a GSAK database for the East/West/North/South location and the regular PQ (so I can find caches along the way). I also maintain a couple of "travel" databases that I use when I travel outside my local area.

I also have a laptop that I copy all of my PQs to so that I can upload waypoints as needed when traveling. I also have the iPhone app and one of the features I really like is the ability to see waypoints from my pocket queries. That way I have full descriptions for all caches in my GPS and don't have to use the "search for nearest" feature. Once the PQ is downloaded, cache descriptions can be quickly found in a "list".

I didn't read anything about GSAK in your post. Importing into Mapsource, from what I read, will not archive or disable your cache list when you get a new PQ from Groundspeak. Gask, on the other hand, will mark the caches as disabled or archived (depending on which has happened) and then you can upload a select few to your GPSr as needed.

I understand using Mapsource as it is shipped with most Garmin units, I just don't use it myself. GSAK with Microsoft Streets & Trips and/or Google Earth seems to work better for me, whereas others might be used to Mapsource with something else. Either way, most people seem to use GSAK as the way to upload waypoints from their computer to their GPSr as the program will mark those unavailable as such.

PQ's are limited and don't seem to be changing anytime soon. Deleting archived caches isn't something that any program I know does. Unfortunately, you seem to be stuck.

Good luck though. Try GSAK though. You get 30 days free and then nagged until you buy. Worth a shot I guess.

While GSAK can make the process easier (even a whole lot easier), it will not automatically mark caches as archived as this information is not included in the .gpx files. If you set-up PQ's to update the whole DB you can check/delete those that don't update as those are probably archived (note: to update 12K caches would take 24 PQ's - about 5 days worth). And no PQ will include info on disabled caches if you have the "Is Active" box checked.

The Rino isn't listed on Garmin's site as being compatible with POI Loader, but according to some other websites, it is compatible. Therefore, you just need to buy a huge micro SD card and dump all of your caches into it.

Ahhh... so that's what the 530hcx GPSr is.. a Rino. I was wondering (should have taken a sec to Google it!)

I'm not sure if this has been covered, but here's an idea (if your GPS works with POI Loader):

1. Set up as many PQ:s as you need to cover the entire area (at least 24) and run them on a specific day of the week. Max 5 per day so this will take most of the week. Make sure to filter out caches that are disabled and archived.

2. When you want to update your database download the last weeks' worth of PQ:s to a folder, and run the program mentioned in this thread with whatever settings you want (considering its 12000 caches and that you can use your phone you might not want to include hint and such).

3. Run POI Loader to get the results to your GPS in Custom POI form, as mentioned earlier. This will allow you to load as many caches as you want.

Alternatively you can obtain the same result using GSAK as well as several other programs, but this is the fastest and easiest method I can think of. Also, it is a piece of shameless self-promotion :shocked:.

While GSAK can make the process easier (even a whole lot easier), it will not automatically mark caches as archived as this information is not included in the .gpx files. If you set-up PQ's to update the whole DB you can check/delete those that don't update as those are probably archived (note: to update 12K caches would take 24 PQ's - about 5 days worth). And no PQ will include info on disabled caches if you have the "Is Active" box checked.

When I do a PQ, I do not put any filter in place for when I want to upload those .gpx files to GSAK. I can perform all of my filters in GSAK and upload those caches that I want to find or are for the area I am going to as needed. GSAK WILL mark those caches as disabled (changes the background color of the GC Code column) or archived (change of color AND a line throuh the GC Code) and you can then filter those particular caches out as needed.

I usually don't run my PQ until the night before or the morning of the day I am going caching for the expressed reason that I want the most updated information to upload to my GPSr and PDA from GSAK. Since the OP has a netbook with wi-fi and an iPhone, thre's no reason why he can't grab a PQ for the area he is headed to on that day, assuring that he has the most recent information possible and uploading the caches that are needed from GSAK. Seems simple enough as long as you aren't filtering your PQs.

I have tried many of your suggestions. But I still haven't found a truly decent workable solution yet.

1. GPS only holds 1,000 waypoints/geocache's. POI's are NOT uploadable to the unit.

2. Pocket Queries are limited to 500 caches, and you can only create/produce 5 queries per day. This means you can only produce 2500 caches per day in queries. DFW metroplex that I travel around on a daily basis has OVER 5,000+ cache sites.

I have downloaded GSAK, and it appears to be an interesting program. I just haven't quite figured out how to use the darn thing yet. I also haven't figured out how to get it to access the internet and my geocaching account either. I will figure it out though. Just been really busy lately.

It would be nice if PQ's weren't limited to 500 caches, &/or 5 per day. It would also be nice if my GPS unit could handle more than 1,000 waypoints as well. But at least it's alot better GPS than what I started out 15 years ago using!

I do thank each & every person for thier suggestions & input. Thank you very much for the time & effort each of you have made.

I am actually using some of the suggestions & have changed the way I do some things as well. It has helped. Just not at the perfect solution yet. I do realize that a perfect solution may not be acheivable at this time. At least not until a better GPS unit or better software or upgrades to geocaching.com have been made.

Again thanks...

TGC

P.S. I do love my iPhone & the geocaching.com app. Just wish it could be more accurate. It would also be nice if my Garmin GPS unit could accept waypoint uploads using Bluetooth from the iPhone app as well. Maybe someday in the future. :D