having trouble deleting a file from oregon 400c

fnq2

Hi, I'm having trouble deleting a file in the garmin / gpx / folder on my oregon 400 c.

I want to delete it and instal a backup copy of the folder that I made on the computer when I first got the gps.

The reason being I'm having trouble with street names disappearing of the map when in automotive profile.

The street names are on the map but when you start to drive the names disappear as the car gathers speed.

If I tap the map [pan mode] they reappear, but when I close pan mode and go back to the map they then disappear.

Stop the car, they appear, start to drive and they disappear.

I reinstalled the map on a new micro sd card but that didn't help.

The msg I get when try'n to delete the file is :

"cannot delete square symbal s symbal again ; symabal yes: the filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect."

Any hints on how to delete this stubbon file would be great.

Thanks Roger

When I first got my Oregon 400C and later a 400t I ran into a similar type problem 3 or 4 times where I had a GPX track file that was all jibberish for the file name (all types of strange characters). Mine was probably self inflicted due to some odd things I was attempting to do with it and maps. I tried all sorts of the more common ways of deleting the files (2 files that were tracks, but could not be viewed). The only way short of a Master Reset that I could delete the file was doing it using DOS commands.

Deleting Files with Syntax Errors (strange char. Names) using DOS in Windows XP

Start > Run > type "cmd" and enter Ok.

For Gamin Oregon type: "your Gamin drive letter:" and enter

For Garmin Oregon GPX Files type: "cd\Garmin\GPX" and enter

Type: "del *.gpx" and enter

Last command line should read: "your Garmin drive letter:\Garmin\GPX>del *.gpx" this will delete all GPX files in the Garmin GPX folder.

Hi and thanks for the reply.

I tried your instructions and managed to delete all the gpx files in the garmin folder bar the file with the strange characters!

The dos command thing says..are you sure...and I select y and hit enter

and the next line says

the filename, directory name or volume label syntax is incorrect.

All the other gpx files were deleted though.

I have tried a master reset and that didn't work either.

I'm stuck, any idea's?

thanks Roger

I had the same "file corrupted, syntax error" problem a few times when I selected the Track Manager on my Oregon 400t...trying to delete the file(s) was maddening. I had success with 2 methods, but neither one of those 2 methods worked with all instances of those errored files.

First I tried "Total Commander" a very powerful dual window file management program, you can read about it and download it if you wish here: http://www.ghisler.com/download.htm

Total Commander worked to delete the errored .gpx file on two occasions, but it didn't work the third time. (Have no idea why). The third time I had the errored .gpx file I tried this (below) and it worked:

1. Open a command prompt (Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt).

2. Change to the Oregon drive and "cd" to the directory with the messed up file.

3. Type "dir /x" (without the quotes)

4. The resulting directory list will have a column with the "old school" 8.3 version of each file name.

5. Make a note of the file name associated with your errored .gpx file - let's say your errored file is ly wa?Ú9 l clea ..gpx, and the associated 8.3 file name is LYWA9C~1.GPX

6. Type "delete LYWA9C~1.GPX" (without the quotes).

I haven't experienced an errored .gpx file since the new final Oregon software version was released...and I really hope it stays that way! Good luck.

Bill

Total commander is about the best way to get rid of some of these garbage files if the DOS trick doesn't help.

But note this won't fix your original problem. The Oregon removes certain street labels when moving to improve screen redraw times. You might be able change the behavior by increasing the map detail setting but in busy urban areas this can slow down screen redraws.

Setup>Map>Advanced Map Setup>Detail>Most (or More)

Thanks soo much for the help guys.

ATM the oregon won't start or connect to the pc!

so I have got it connected..care of the wiki :o

and have deleted all the contents of the garmin folder bar the file with strange characters which won't delete.

I have a mates 400c here which I have copied the contents of it's garmin folder to my computer and am now copy'n it to my 400c.

When it has transfered I will endevour to rid the bad file with the total commander.

oh how I wish it was fixed :unsure:

ten minutes transfer to go then I will try commander.

Thanks again I was really stuck

roger

Hi I got soo close :o

Commander wouldn't delete the file it said it was protected so I tried the command prompt way.

I got to the directory and could see the trouble file but couldn't figure out how to type the gibberish symbals into a delete command line.

It wouldn't allow me to copy and paste either, which would have been nice.

bahhhh :unsure:

I´ve had a similar problem with my Oregon 300, maybe a few weeks after I bought it. I´ve solved it by backing-up all the files to my PC (except the wrong named ones) and then I´ve formatted it (FAT16). It was all gone and I just have had to copy the files back to the unit. No more issues since then.

I remember that I´ve also tried to delete via DOS and downloaded some utilities that were supposed to get rid of strange-named files, but all to no avail.

Rgds,

WF

Yeah Scott I was a bit concerned!

I just formatted the drive as fat and it worked ok.

There must be a hidden system partition as the unit retained some settings and stuff that I thought would be gone.

But the format rid it of the pesky file I wanted to be rid of :lol:

I still have the street name issue that lead me to get rid of the gpx file though :D

I have map detail option set to most and zoom etc set to auto but the street names disappear on the map page when the car gathers speed.

Tap the screen to go in to pan mode and the street names work fine.

A new faster speed micro chip. didn't help, got me buggered!

Roger