Ok? Distateful? or just plain wrong?

Knight2000

We found a historical cache that was interesting. It was near a monument for Colonel William Crawford. It explained the history of how he was tortured and burned at the stake by Indians in retaliation for another event.

Shortly down the road there is a state historical society marker near the actual location of this atrocity. There is a cache near each location. The cache near the historical marker is in a cemetery directly across from the marker.

The name of the cache is: "SQ-Smells like Burning"

Commence discussion.

That monument is just a jaunt down the road from where i grew up. lol good ol' T-county baby. Red necks, white socks, and blue ribbon beer! While i find the jokes to be in poor taste, I find it much poorer taste to erect a monument commemorating a person that could commit the small scale genocide he did. We learned all about the issue in various history classes in middle and high school. Native Americans, a large mallet, and a tree stump. Good lord, the human race never ceases to amaze me.

I don't think think the monument is glorifying the man. I think it is a historical marker reminding us of the areas history.

If you read the cache page, that cache owner is referencing the title to Ralph Wiggum. I had to google it. Ralph is from the Simpsons. Need I say more?

I read that and I understand it. Do you think the reference is just a coincidence? Because it is referring to Ralph does this make it any more appropriate?

I did comment on it in my log.

We found a historical cache that was interesting. It was near a monument for Colonel William Crawford. It explained the history of how he was tortured and burned at the stake by Indians in retaliation for another event.

Shortly down the road there is a state historical society marker near the actual location of this atrocity. There is a cache near each location. The cache near the historical marker is in a cemetery directly across from the marker.

The name of the cache is: "SQ-Smells like Burning"

Commence discussion.

Whatever the context of the title, makes me laugh. In fact, if it was unintentional then it's even funnier!

William Crawford participated in the Gnadenhutten massacre in which they killed 28 men, 29 women and 39 children with mallets as they were praying. And then scalped them. That's pretty distasteful right there.

It's called the 'Michael Jackson' effect. Once they're dead, forget all the dodgy stuff they did. They're a hero and roll model - give them a memorial!

:o

Me either. Low-brow humour, but I wouldn't even blink twice from the "shock" of it.

But remember, some people are ultrasensitive to like... everything. And naturally, those who complain the most get their way. Why do you think North America is the way it is?

Edited by Kabuthunk

What's an SQ?

Spirit Quest. For some reason unknown to me this is what many cemetery caches have in their title.

Must be a regional thing. I've never heard or seen it in New England before. But, now that you said it, a cacher recently moved here from a different area, and one of his first caches in this area is called "so and so's Spirit Quest." I never connected it to anything until now and don't think anyone else does it here.

What's an SQ?

Spirit Quest. For some reason unknown to me this is what many cemetery caches have in their title.

Our brand of "Spirit Quest" caches began in 2004 with the Indiana Spirit Quest series which now numbers over 600 caches placed in and around cemeteries, by numerous cacher teams., usually honoring veterans and local pioneers who may be buried there. The cache pages are characterized by photos and historical notes about the locale and prominent local people or events.

The Quest has spread to many other states, and hiders that are aligned to the original Quest agree to abide by strict guidelines, which generally include respect for the area of the hide and a prohibition on night caching in cemeteries.

The various series have spawned many copycat series, of which this cache may be one.

I suspect that most of our members would not have chosen the wording in this cache's title, as we are all about RESPECT.

Visit our profile page for more info about our cache series, if you are interested. :shocked: