HOUSTON: The Garmin has landed!

okie-wan

Finally, after waiting 12 days for my order to arrive after travelling a whopping 90 miles. I am now the proud and happy Dad of a 60CSx. I went through the quick start up guide and headed out to my first cache.

Wonder of wonders.......I found it!........a micro at that!

As I leaf through the owner's manual it becomes a little overpowering, and I wonder if I bought too much machine, especially for an un-tech 'ole geezer like me. I did manage, however, the initialization, calibrating the compass and altimeter.

I'm sure there will be many questions forthcoming and thank you all with the advice so far. :blink:

Finally, after waiting 12 days for my order to arrive after travelling a whopping 90 miles. I am now the proud and happy Dad of a 60CSx. I went through the quick start up guide and headed out to my first cache.

Wonder of wonders.......I found it!........a micro at that!

As I leaf through the owner's manual it becomes a little overpowering, and I wonder if I bought too much machine, especially for an un-tech 'ole geezer like me. I did manage, however, the initialization, calibrating the compass and altimeter.

I'm sure there will be many questions forthcoming and thank you all with the advice so far. :huh:

Congrats on your 60CSx purchase! I've had mine for more than three years now, and never regretted spending the money for it.

As far as using all the features is concerned, just use the features you need and learn about the additional stuff if and when you find the need. Heck, I still haven't used that Jumpmaster feature yet. :blink:

--Larry

Welcome to the sport/hobby/obsession okie-wan :huh:

"Let the force be with you"('re Garmin LOL) you're off to a flying start. Don't try to take all the technology in one big gulp, just learn things are you need learn them :blink: Yes it's a moderately steep hill to climb to get to the first step, but once you've got a foothold you're gonna LOVE Geocaching, and GPSr's!

Thanks Larry,

It's good to know I have a go-to guy with the same GPSr. Right now I'm taking it one page at a time and have not downloaded anything to the unit although it did come with a disc called MapSource Trip & Waypoint Manager, what ever the heck that is or does! :blink:

I usually put that in caches. There are better tools out there like GSAK that will do the same things better.

Thanks again everyone.

hukilaulau, Was jawin' with Yoda over a cold one after work last evening. He assured me that my Concealed Weapons Permit is valid for derringers, revolvers, autos, AND Light Sabres! :blink:

My unit came with a 64 MB disk but I do have a 2GB (that's a high capacity magazine in my world) should I bother with it or just go ahead and install the 2GB?