A little Advice

I have owned a Garmin Nuvi for a few years now. While I mainly use it for auto routing, I have used it to find a few Geocaches. I am in the Market for a more Geocaching friendly GPSr. I have been researching for a while now, and I am leaning twords the DeLorme PN-40. My question is since I have been using a Garmin, and have the programing on my computer, etc. should I mabey reconsider going with the Garmin Oregon 300 so then I would have both units compatiable? Or does in not matter that much since I would be using both units for different applications. or should I stick with my first choice and go with the DeLorme? Any advice would be great. I want to order the unit soon and get some Geocaching time in this fall.

It doesn't matter. :blink:

I use mapsource to load the Garmin 60, and I use gsak to load the Nuvi.

It's gonna be personal preference. :huh:

Since you will use the handheld unit for the majority of the time, I suggest you pick the one you like. The software won't be much of an issue (based on the fact that you figured out how to load the Nuvi).

:anicute: I have a Garmin 60 CSX, and would not trade it for any other. A friend who recently got into Geocaching, did weeks of research and ended up with the 60 CSX :anicute:

Personal preference. And maybe sweet bliss of not knowing what you're missing out on! :huh::blink:

Seriously though, I love the PN-40, it is a great unit packed with features! The paperless feature and the aerials are probably my favorites, but the routing is right up there...love the fact I can actually find the parking spot without circling several times first.

It's all about what you prefer is the answer I give. If aerial imagery isn't important to you, either unit is fine.

Personally I'm a HUGE fan of the Delorme PN-40 and I think it is definitely the best GPSr for me. Of course your tastes may differ, but I think it really is a sweet geocaching machine. There are definitely some pros and cons with it and if you'd like to hear more about what I see the PN-40s pros and cons as being please feel free to contact me and ask for more information. Just be forewarned though if you look at my forum posts talking about the PN-40 I get very talkative and I have to warn you that my E-Mails about the Delorme PN-40 are just as wordy. In case you're curious this is a very short message for me.

I'm not familar with the Oregon so I'm not in any position to critique it's pros and cons, but if you want to know what I love and what I wish was different about my PN-40 feel free to contact me. You can click on my screen name and then at my profile page click the link to send me a message. Just make sure that before you send the message you make sure leave the little box checked to allow me to see your E-Mail address so I know where to reply to.

Good luck on finding the best GPSr for your needs. Happy caching!!!! :blink:

In my opinion, the Garmin Oregon is the easiest to learn and easiest to use Geocaching unit on the market right now. The touchscreen interface is wonderful, intuitive and bright (with the backlight turned on). Some units get better reception due to better anntena design but the Oregon is quite firendly and easy to use for Geocaching.

I slightly perfer my Garmin Colorado for reception in tough condtions and I like some of the geocaching options available on the Lowrance Endura units but I really believe the Oregon out of the box is the easiest to use for Geocaching.

My suggestion is to find a store that carries both and .......

I used to make this suggestion, also.

However, now that the Hi Res City 133 and the Color Aerial Photo Imagery is available for the DeLorme models,

I have come to prefer to use that for my geocaching.

Unfortunately, that is one characteristic that I don't expect that one could check out in a store.

I have owned a Garmin Nuvi for a few years now. While I mainly use it for auto routing, I have used it to find a few Geocaches. I am in the Market for a more Geocaching friendly GPSr. I have been researching for a while now, and I am leaning twords the DeLorme PN-40. My question is since I have been using a Garmin, and have the programing on my computer, etc. should I mabey reconsider going with the Garmin Oregon 300 so then I would have both units compatiable? Or does in not matter that much since I would be using both units for different applications. or should I stick with my first choice and go with the DeLorme? Any advice would be great. I want to order the unit soon and get some Geocaching time in this fall.

I have a Nuvi 500 and a Delorme PN-40. The -40 is a very easy unit to use. My Wife loves it. I have had both Garmins and the -40 and it takes a little while to load the caches but it is not bad. I would recommend that you get the cache register from Delorme for loading caches. Topo 8 is not that bad but takes time to learn.

I have a Nuvi 500 and a Delorme PN-40. The -40 is a very easy unit to use. My Wife loves it. I have had both Garmins and the -40 and it takes a little while to load the caches but it is not bad. I would recommend that you get the cache register from Delorme for loading caches. Topo 8 is not that bad but takes time to learn.

Hi. I hope The Yinnie's don't mind me jumping in for one piece of info. Cache Register is a very good little program and really very low cost at a one time only fee of just $10. However, if you are a GSAK user GSAK now also supports the PN series of GPSr's so if you wanted to save the $10 and if you have already paid your $25 or whatever the paid version of GSAK is then you can just use GSAK to load your cache data. If you are wanting information on the GSAK Beta version there's a thread in this forum that I believe is titled GSAK to PN. Or if you can't locate that feel free to ask me and I will give you a link to that thread. Sorry to have stuck my nose in, but I wasn't sure if the OP is a GSAK user already and if he/she was aware of fact that GSAK can now support Delorme's. Have a good night everybody! :blink:

My suggestion is to find a store that carries both and .......

I used to make this suggestion, also.

However, now that the Hi Res City 133 and the Color Aerial Photo Imagery is available for the DeLorme models,

I have come to prefer to use that for my geocaching.

Unfortunately, that is one characteristic that I don't expect that one could check out in a store.

It's sad, but it's become quite difficult to get any good advice or help in a store anymore. When I purchased my PN-40, I initially drove to REI, which is about 30 miles from me, only to find the clerk had no knowledge of the PN-40, and couldn't be bothered to change out the dead batteries in the unit so I could actually fire it up and try it out. I ended up saying ..... with them and ordered over the internet being as how I didn't want to drive another 20 miles to Cabelas, the only other store in this area that carries the Delormes.

Fortunately, when I decided to get the Dakota, the "Different" REI clerk was much better, albiet not at all familiar with the unit other than it was new and looked a lot like the Oregon.

........I want to order the unit soon and get some Geocaching time in this fall.

........Topo 8 is not that bad but takes time to learn.

Don't worry about the Topo USA 8.0 application at this time if your first interest is geocaching.

Actually, the installation of Topo USA 8.0 on your PC is not required to start geocaching with a PN-20, -30 or -40.

The easiest and quickest approach is to load the Region, detail maps of your areas of interest onto the PN-XX directly from one of the four DVDs included for that purpose.

Don't worry about the Topo USA 8.0 application at this time if your first interest is geocaching.

Actually, the installation of Topo USA 8.0 on your PC is not required to start geocaching with a PN-20, -30 or -40.

The easiest and quickest approach is to load the Region, detail maps of your areas of interest onto the PN-XX directly from one of the four DVDs included for that purpose.

I'm not a big fan of Topo USA, but TCP is right that it's not required for geocaching.

Personally, I prefer the Oregon series, but the PN-40 is a great unit and I expect you'll be very happy with it.

I use both I am sure you will be happy which ever unit you choose.

I use GSAK to Organize my PQs. Then do a filter to weed out the caches I want to go for. With Gsak If I am loading my Garmin I just send to GPS if I am loading my Delorme I export my filtered caches to a GPX file then use Cache Register to put them on the PN.

I use GSAK to Organize my PQs. Then do a filter to weed out the caches I want to go for. With Gsak If I am loading my Garmin I just send to GPS if I am loading my Delorme I export my filtered caches to a GPX file then use Cache Register to put them on the PN.

There is a beta version available now that will direct load to the PN. I've read it's doing well.

I could be mistaken, but wouldn't you be able to send the GSAK filtered PQ straight to the PN with T8? Or is the way you're doing it more convenient or better??

I could be mistaken, but wouldn't you be able to send the GSAK filtered PQ straight to the PN with T8? Or is the way you're doing it more convenient or better??

...wouldn't you be able to send the GSAK filtered PQ straight to the PN with T8? Or is the way you're doing it more convenient or better?
Yes, you could save the GPX, then send it to to the GPS through T8. At least in theory; I haven't tried it.

More convenient or better to send direct from GSAK? If someone wants to use GSAK's filtering, being able to send the output directly to the device (instead of saving it to open in another program) is a little more convenient, just saving a few steps.

The flip side is that if you want to VIEW the GSAK results in T8, you'll end up there eventually.

Cache Register is alot easyer to use than tranfering through T7 or T8. But like was said I know there is a Beta version of GSAK out right now that has the send to GPS for the PN that has been doing very well once it is final I will start useing that all together then I only need GSAK for all my CACHE data base needs.

garmin's product is far superior to anything else out there. 'follow the leader'.

The leader ONLY because it's been around longer than the up and comers. Follow it...where? And, please, can you tell us WHY Garmin is "far superior" or were you just being a Garmin loyalist?

it is very well known that the QUALITY of the garmin product is far greater than other brands. that may be because they've been around longer, then again it may not be the only reason. stick with garmin if you want the best.

garmin's product is far superior to anything else out there. 'follow the leader'.

The leader ONLY because it's been around longer than the up and comers. Follow it...where? And, please, can you tell us WHY Garmin is "far superior" or were you just being a Garmin loyalist?

it is very well known that the QUALITY of the garmin product is far greater than other brands. that may be because they've been around longer, then again it may not be the only reason. stick with garmin if you want the best.

You're glossing over lots of known issues that has happened with previous models including (but not all inclusive):

Oregon (firmware)

Colorado (firmware and hardware)

60 series (firmware)

first generation E-trex series (hardware)

Each brand has its issues and each brand goes through a public flogging on the QC shakedown regardless of how much internal testing happens. DeLorme and Magellan are no strangers to this, but neither is the Garmin brand.

The two advantages Garmin has is longevity and sheer numbers of selections to choose from. You can infer all you want this is superior but I differ with that opinion. Garmin comes across as the 800 lb. gorilla these days. Too many models make for high support overhead making the resources thin. Fixes on one model usually come at the expense of other model issues as noted with fixes for the Oregon at the expense of the Colorado. It also means Garmin's presence has gone from very active on these forums to near non-existent if at all. Some models, such as the 60 series have become very reliable after several firmware fixes but they weren't superior quality out of the box.

...wouldn't you be able to send the GSAK filtered PQ straight to the PN with T8? Or is the way you're doing it more convenient or better?
Yes, you could save the GPX, then send it to to the GPS through T8. At least in theory; I haven't tried it.

More convenient or better to send direct from GSAK? If someone wants to use GSAK's filtering, being able to send the output directly to the device (instead of saving it to open in another program) is a little more convenient, just saving a few steps.

The flip side is that if you want to VIEW the GSAK results in T8, you'll end up there eventually.

The T8 method works very well. GPX loading only takes a couple of minutes for around 600 caches (a little longer if you're loading with aerials visible), and the transfer to the PN takes about 3 minutes from clicking the Export tab to completion of the transfer.

You're glossing over lots of known issues that has happened with previous models including (but not all inclusive):

Oregon (firmware)

60 series (firmware)

Each brand has its issues and each brand goes through a public flogging on the QC shakedown regardless of how much internal testing happens. DeLorme and Magellan are no strangers to this, but neither is the Garmin brand.

The two advantages Garmin has is longevity and sheer numbers of selections to choose from. You can infer all you want this is superior but I differ with that opinion. Garmin comes across as the 800 lb. gorilla these days. Too many models make for high support overhead making the resources thin. Fixes on one model usually come at the expense of other model issues as noted with fixes for the Oregon at the expense of the Colorado. It also means Garmin's presence has gone from very active on these forums to near non-existent if at all. Some models, such as the 60 series have become very reliable after several firmware fixes but they weren't superior quality out of the box.

Nicely worded. Much better than anything I could have written, THANKS!!

Oregon (firmware)

60 series (firmware)

i don't believe any of that. for example, you say garmin has two advantages (there are many more than two) but then you say it's not an advantage. as long as you're having fun with whatever garmin wannabe gpsr you have, that's cool for you. i prefer to use the more highly rated, professional type garmin.

(i was just kidding around anyway. i was gonna see how far this would go, but i just can't do it anymore. gotcha)

I wouldn't think you would have to worry about the units being compatible. Your Nuvi maps have to be unlocked for each unit it’s used in, so you would basically have to buy two copies of your street maps with two garmin units, or get separate software for each unit if you go multiple brands. Kind of makes it 6 of one, or half dozen of another as to how that would work out. Having two options for maps can be a plus sometimes, or lead you more confused at other times. There is a learning curve involved with having mapping products from different vendors, but I’ve never considered that to be a problem.

Myself, I’d keep the nuvi, maybe update it’s maps if you haven’t already done so, then get the handheld with the feature set that suits you best, bearing in mind that whichever unit you get, you’ll have to get separate mapping software to use with it either way you go.

Myself, I’d keep the nuvi, maybe update it’s maps if you haven’t already done so, then get the handheld with the feature set that suits you best, bearing in mind that whichever unit you get, you’ll have to get separate mapping software to use with it either way you go.

Not the DeLorme, it'll have a nice TOPO for you right in the box. As well, for a mere $30, you can load it full of aerial imagery, 24k topo, Hi-res city aerial and even NOAA charts. You'll even get a basemap (routable, if memory serves) for Mexico and Canada! Of course, the routable maps won't matter much to you should you keep yur Nuvi, but you can always compare the two whenever the mood strikes you!

(i was just kidding around anyway. i was gonna see how far this would go, but i just can't do it anymore. gotcha)[/size]

Then all you did was pollute a thread asking for advise.

We call that Trolling.

i couldn't help myself, it's so funny the way people get their panties in such a bunch about brand v. brand. there's been much worse done in these forums than i've done in this thread, and i thought it would be obvious what i was doing to begin with, you know: joking.

(i was just kidding around anyway. i was gonna see how far this would go, but i just can't do it anymore. gotcha)[/size]

We call that Trolling.

i couldn't help myself, it's so funny the way people get their panties in such a bunch about brand v. brand. there's been much worse done in these forums than i've done in this thread, and i thought it would be obvious what i was doing to begin with, you know: joking.

Well, here is another troll that came through here recently:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?id=2652619

Maybe you two can PM each other with your frivolities and let the others be.

Just saying......(to mimic the latest).

We call that Trolling.

lighten up.

We call that Trolling.

It wasn't obvious. May I suggest the use of smilies next time? Folks *might* get a hint. :o

We call that Trolling.

lighten up.

HEY, you forgot the "just saying"...

:shocked::blink:

It doesn't matter. :D

It's gonna be personal preference. :o

Since you will use the handheld unit for the majority of the time, I suggest you pick the one you like. The software won't be much of an issue (based on the fact that you figured out how to load the Nuvi).

--------------------

Over 18,444+ caches found.

Creator of the 7 minute rule. Times up... get back in the jeep.

I found 413 caches in ONE day without cheating. Tell me again....why do you hate me?

That's a lot of found caches. I would think you know what you're talking about. :blink:

just saying....

It doesn't matter. :D

It's gonna be personal preference. :o

--------------------

I found 413 caches in ONE day without cheating. Tell me again....why do you hate me?

That's a lot of found caches. I would think you know what you're talking about. :blink:

just saying....

wouldn't ya just need the 'over' OR the '+' ?....just sayin'.

--------------------

wouldn't ya just need the 'over' OR the '+' ?....just sayin'.

I would think one or the other would be fine. Maybe he used his "7 minute rule" while editing his profile?

In any case this is a cat that knows the tools to find a cache.

just saying......

Edited by JDiablo