I need a new flashlight

Thats a nice looking flashlight with 215 max lumens. The major drawback, though, is that it uses cr125A batteries. Those aren't cheap. If they had rechargable cr125 batteries then it becomes more economical. With only 1.8 hours operating time on the standard CR123A lithium batteries (at max power), this light would cost me a lot to operate.

mini_maglite_2_AA_LED_flashlight_2aa_gray.jpg

Maglites are quite durable... this one is quite nice. A single super-bright LED with a great beam. The two AA batteries should last quite a long time. Cost a little less then 20$.

The flashing-modes are gimmicky, but oh well. Maybe someday I might have a use for a SOS flash.

Edited by Arrow42

mini_maglite_2_AA_LED_flashlight_2aa_gray.jpg

Maglites are quite durable... this one is quite nice. A single super-bright LED with a great beam. The two AA batteries should last quite a long time. Cost a little less then 20$.

The flashing-modes are gimmicky, but oh well. Maybe someday I might have a use for a SOS flash.

I wish that Maglite would list the lumens on their LED light. I like my C-cell maglite but, as I keep saying, the batteries get expensive. The rechargable C batteries are only 2.4v total (2X1.2) and the light isn't as bright with only 2.4v.

I'm shopping by lumens and battery specs. There are way too many options out there.

Regarding the comments on "too much light" from flashlights and "cost of CR123 batteries":

You can definitely have too much light, I agree. I typically wear a Petzl headlamp that puts out something like 45 lumens and I have the TK-11 R2 in a holster attached to my belt. When you need/want to look way down the trail, the much brighter light comes in very handy. Throws a long, penetrating beam. When you can't tell which branch of the trail has the Fire Tacks, the brighter light helps out.

I use rechargeable 18650 batteries, because of the cost of the CR123s. But that's a good point, too.

Good thread, always fun to talk about flashlights and/or night caching.

StumpWater

Regarding the comments on "too much light" from flashlights and "cost of CR123 batteries":

You can definitely have too much light, I agree. I typically wear a Petzl headlamp that puts out something like 45 lumens and I have the TK-11 R2 in a holster attached to my belt. When you need/want to look way down the trail, the much brighter light comes in very handy. Throws a long, penetrating beam. When you can't tell which branch of the trail has the Fire Tacks, the brighter light helps out.

I use rechargeable 18650 batteries, because of the cost of the CR123s. But that's a good point, too.

Good thread, always fun to talk about flashlights and/or night caching.

StumpWater

Am I missing something? The CR123A and 18650 batteries aren't interchangable in voltage or size, are they?

One of my favorite geocaching gadgets:

Petzl ZIPKA® PLUS²

zipka2_1.jpg

http://www.petzl.com/us/outdoor/headlamps/...ries/zipka-plus

Ultra-compact headlamp with retractable cord, 1 high-output LED, 1 red LED and five lighting modes (three continuous and two blinking)

The ultra-compact ZIPKA PLUS² headlamp is equipped with the ZIP retractable cord system. This feature allows the headlamp to be worn on the head or wrist, or attached to any other support, like a tent pole, a bicycle seat post, etc. This headlamp integrates two light sources for versatility: one white, high-output LED and one red LED. The white LED delivers 50 lumens in maximum mode and lights up to 35 meters. In economic mode, it can reach a burn-time of 140 hours. The red LED provides lighting to preserve night vision or to become a blinking light for increased safety, for example in an urban environment, etc. The ZIPKA PLUS² can be used with lithium batteries to decrease weight or increase performance in cold weather.

And how many lumens do the aforementioned flashlights have?

The Fenix LD20 has a maximum of 180 lumens, runs on 2xAA, and can use rechargable NiMH. It also has a lower light level for normal use (9, 47 and 94 lumens) and two flashing modes, one designed to induce epileptic seizures.

I found a 37 (!) minute video review on the Internet. I like the light, but not that much. You can google for more reviews if you like. I did my research and I didn't find a better light that uses 2 AA batteries, and I'm reluctant to get CR123 or 18650 lights.

I got it for slightly below $50 by shopping around. I'd buy another one if I need another similar light.

One thing that may put some people off is that it is made in China. I'm not going to debate the merits or otherwise of made in China products, so if it puts you off, look for something else.

Edited by Chrysalides

I see on ebay you can get rechargable cr123's. I wonder if they actually work.... The lack of brand names certainly makes me weary though.

You mean leery, right? Otherwise the thought of the batteries makes you tired. I suppose if you were running on substandard batteries, you could be tired from them.

:)

I've been looking at flashlights the last few days due to this thread.

So far I have come up with the "Coast P7" or "Coast T7" as the flashlight I would choose with a $100 budget.

It has an aluminum body, runs on 4XAAA batteries, up to 200 lumens, adjustable beam, and depending on the sub-model it has multi position switches (though not as versatile in adjusting how much light as others).

It can be purchased at Fry's for about $70.

Edited by bittsen

The CR123A is a 3V battery. The 18650 is a 3.7V nominal battery with a fully-charged resting voltage of 4.1V.

Typical dimensions for the CR123A are 17x34.5mm and dimensions for the 18650 are 18x65mm.

So a single 18650 will fit where 2 CR123A cells do if a ~4mm filler plug is used or the spring is stretched, but under a best case situation the single 18650 will be at a 1.9V disadvantage and that will quickly drop to a 2.3V disadvantage once 10 to 15% of the 18650's capacity has been used.

That's not half, but close. :D

See the post by HKJ in this thread on candlepowerforums (a GREAT board, by the way) for an explanation of why an 18650 is essentially equivalent to two CR123s. Bottom line is that all LEDs yield max lumen output at some voltage below the peak they can tolerate. Past the peak, more volts do not yield more output. For many LEDs (like the TK-11 R2 I own) the peak lumen output occurs at around 4 volts. (This relationship is essentially why a 4D maglite has roughly the same lumen output as a 6D. Don't quote me on that, as I don't know a lot about Maglites. I own a 4D and it would be great for whacking an assailant, that point made above is true!)

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=242497

Here's the chart he includes just in case anyone can't access the thread:

http://www.lygte-info.dk/pic/OLight/M20%20...nessCurrent.png

And his point about the CR123s rattling around is true, too. My TK-11 R2 feels much better with the 18650 in there.

I actually just took the light outside just a few minutes ago and did some beam-shot style comparisons on a neighbor's tree (maybe 60m away). With the 18650, the light was, in fact, a bit brighter. But the 18650 was fresh out of the charger, so I'd call it a draw.

Cool thread, always fun to talk about flashlights and night caching!

StumpWater

Bottom line is that all LEDs yield max lumen output at some voltage below the peak they can tolerate. Past the peak, more volts do not yield more output.

Thats why digital regulation is a good thing.

The TK-11 R2 is designed to use either 2 CR123 or 1 18650. However, it is not the same as saying 2 x CR123 is the same as 1 x 18650.

Been pretty happy with the Inova light. Uses 2 CR123 batteries. For its size, it casts a long beam. Seems to last less than 3 hours. Sometimes you just need a bright light...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00076U2L...x_ya_oh_product

I also have the Black Diamond headlamp. Runs a long time on two AA batteries. Has Led's and a halogen lamp also. Very good light.

Usually take both.

Steve.

Edited by gpsgeology

(What can anyone recommend as a medium duty, LED option ?)

I strongly recommend that you standardize batteries. If you GPS uses AA then a AA flashlight, ( I use the Energizer Night Strike) I also tend to take walkie talkies with use they also run off of AA.

011309_energizer_3.jpg

It is always best to have the same battery for everything. That way you only have to carry one set of batteries.

As for the night strike being a good flashlight, it is one of the best I have ever owned. Got it for $65 online. The batteries last a long time, and can run on 1 or 2 AA batteries

Edited by Team Galvan

I just bought a Brinkman tactical light. Nice and beefy with 140 lumens but no wrist strap so I modified the flashlight a little to give one.

It's a great light that runs on standard batteries and is beefy enough to be used as a weapon but light enough to put in your pocket.

At $22 (Home Depot) I couldn't beat the deal.

I just bought a Brinkman tactical light. Nice and beefy with 140 lumens but no wrist strap so I modified the flashlight a little to give one.

It's a great light that runs on standard batteries and is beefy enough to be used as a weapon but light enough to put in your pocket.

Which model? Google didn't turn one up. I found a 3xAAA 140 lumens, but the only way it can be used as a weapon is if you get the other guy to swallow it...

Which model? Google didn't turn one up. I found a 3xAAA 140 lumens, but the only way it can be used as a weapon is if you get the other guy to swallow it...

I think I know which one you are talking about. This is the one I bought.

flashl.jpg

It weighs 7.4 ounces and the tip is beveled so if you hit someone with it, it would likely draw blood.

I'm not implying it would be as effective at defense as a 6xD Maglite but it's as good as a roll of pennies in your fist.

i got a maglite 2xAA led torch off ebay brand new last week, about £8 including p&p and its better than my 2D cell maglite with genuine maglite led bulb and better than my 2AA maglite with no led, i certainly think it was worth the money and certainly adds no weight or takes up any extra space in the bag.

i got a maglite 2xAA led torch off ebay brand new last week, about £8 including p&p and its better than my 2D cell maglite with genuine maglite led bulb and better than my 2AA maglite with no led, i certainly think it was worth the money and certainly adds no weight or takes up any extra space in the bag.

I did some research on the maglites. A standard 2xD maglite will produce about 36 lumens at peak battery performance but the new generation of AA (or AAA) LED maglite produces about 100 lumens and the new 2XD LED maglites produce close to 140 lumens.

For the study it was noted that the batteries don't last much longer, about 30% or so,

And, they have a combo LED Maglite pack with a 2xD plus a 2xAAA for $23 at Costco (in Portland, Oregon)