I need a new flashlight

I have just been given executive approval from the VP of Household Procurement to go ahead and buy a new flashlight / spotlight / caching searchlight

(translation - SWMBO says 'Yes')

This will need to do double duty for caching & dog walking and must also be suitable for the smaller, more delicate hands of SWMBO

What can anyone recommend as a medium duty, LED option ?

The 'Tactical' brand options have already been rejected <_< but I'm holding out for a remote controlled spotlight as a gift from Santa :D

Edited by SaltercreaseRangers

I have just been given executive approval from the VP of Household Procurement to go ahead and buy a new flashlight / spotlight / caching searchlight

This will need to do double duty for caching & dog walking and must also be suitable for the smaller, more delicate hands of SWMBO

The 'Tactical' brand options have already been rejected <_< but I'm holding out for a remote controlled spotlight as a gift from Santa :D

Price range?

Price range < $100 USD / £75 GBP

WOW - quite the budget for a flashlight.

I've been using a fairly generic Rayovac 3 LED flashlight - about $12 at Wal Mart. Very bright and the batteries last a very long time. Sealed with an Oring and rugged - i've dropped it a few times out on the trail and used it in the rain. I supplment with a simple 2 LED headlamp when I need to.

No need to spend that kind of money unless you want to.

My suggestion, go to Home Depot and look for this Husky brand 2 D-cell flashlight:

sideviewqu8.jpg

This is an awesome 200 lumen LED flashlight, very white light and a crisp circle. It'll set you back about $25 or so. I keep a smaller 3AAA version in my grab 'n' go cache bag and another in my day-pack. Highly recommended.

My preferences.

2 Modes. High/Low. High 80 Lumens Low 10ish.

High for when you need bright (like police do to folks) to blind someone or just to light up the area fairly well. Low for close up work, or to extend the duration of your battery like a nice long hike at night for a night cache.

AA Batteries. Prefered. CR123 are expensive.

Fenix makes a light like this about 50-59 bucks. Easy to operaate.

I like that jupiter Jack light, I'd love it it had a low mode. I've been looding for a D sized LED for extended use during a power outage so I'll check it out. I've read about some D' sized LED's lights that could run for a month in low mode. The one I had read about was discontinued.

The Mag LED's are ok. I wish they were brighter, and had a low mode, but I've always liked Mag.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I love my 2D cell MagLED. Works great, not as big and heavy as the 3 or 4 D cell versions. Has a lifetime warrenty. Only costat about $30CND ($25USD)

I have several Flashlights within arms reach in the Truck, and this is always the one I grab at first. Mag is the only one I know that has an adjustable beam for an LED

I upgraded my old Mag 2D and 3D to LED. It's worth the upgrade. Brighter than before with longer life on the battery.

I only own one relatively high end flashlight, and that's the Fenix LD 20. About US$50 - US$60 around here, not sure what it goes for in the UK.

What I like about it :

Solid build, waterproof

Bright. Very bright. Great for searching dark holes in a bright day.

6 different levels in case you don't need to blind someone else. Lowest level just right for navigating in pitch darkness (tested in caves)

Light is not the irritating bluish tint of cheaper LED light - it's a bluish tint

Uses 2 AA batteries (cheap, interchangable with other equipment) and accepts NiMH

Light level is electronically regulated so it stays bright until the end

Front lens is glass

I love my 2D cell MagLED. Works great, not as big and heavy as the 3 or 4 D cell versions. Has a lifetime warrenty. Only costat about $30CND ($25USD)

I have several Flashlights within arms reach in the Truck, and this is always the one I grab at first. Mag is the only one I know that has an adjustable beam for an LED

I upgraded my old Mag 2D and 3D to LED. It's worth the upgrade. Brighter than before with longer life on the battery.

I found those Official upgrade bulbe on clearance for about $6 once. I bought several, since the regular price was $19.99. Do you think they'll make good swag?

I think that you can just change the bulb to the LED bulb.

An added benefit of the Mag light/Mag LED is that it doubles as a baton/night stick (for self defence). Never needed to use it as such, but when doing late night caching, somewhat comforting.

Well... if you want to go super light, we use these on-water for marine SAR work:

http://peakbeam.thomasnet.com/item/mbs-410...?&forward=1

A little out of your price range though, but, there's something to be said for 7.5 million candlepower. Just dont touch the lens when it's running (that and they tend to interfere with VHF radios also)

Seriously though. We just bought a two-pack of 3-AAA LED flashlights from Costco - something like $12.99 CAD. They're compact made from aluminum with watertight gaskets, have little lanyards and are shockingly powerful. I may never go back to a mini-maglight again!

I found those Official upgrade bulbe on clearance for about $6 once. I bought several, since the regular price was $19.99. Do you think they'll make good swag?

Yes I do. It would be a wonderful find.

I think that you can just change the bulb to the LED bulb. ...

Good catch. That's what I did. No need to buy the LED version unless you are buying them new. Then I'd look at teh LED vs regular with upgrade bulb prices and buy whatever is cheaper.

My preferences.

2 Modes. High/Low. High 80 Lumens Low 10ish.

High for when you need bright (like police do to folks) to blind someone or just to light up the area fairly well. Low for close up work, or to extend the duration of your battery like a nice long hike at night for a night cache.

AA Batteries. Prefered. CR123 are expensive.

Fenix makes a light like this about 50-59 bucks. Easy to operaate.

I like that jupiter Jack light, I'd love it it had a low mode. I've been looding for a D sized LED for extended use during a power outage so I'll check it out. I've read about some D' sized LED's lights that could run for a month in low mode. The one I had read about was discontinued.

The Mag LED's are ok. I wish they were brighter, and had a low mode, but I've always liked Mag.

Yes yes yes,,, I have the Fenix TK20 and love it!

Two brightness levels, 45 and 150 lumens. The lower allows the light to run for over 8 hours while the brighter uses batteries up in a little under 2 hours. The lower is definitely bright enough for most situations and is pretty much all i ever use. The best part, it uses standard alkalines or rechargeable AAs!

Edited by Mudfrog

I a Surefire a2 Aviator most of the time... LEDs for average work and the high power for when you need it... but you really can't go wrong with an 8$ 2AA mag light and 4$ LED conversion both from walmart... I have those all over the place in the truck, and at home.... silver is the best for those, cause if you do scratch it, it scratches silver...

The 'Tactical' brand options have already been rejected :huh: but I'm holding out for a remote controlled spotlight as a gift from Santa :blink:

I'm using a 3 watt led light made by Brinkman. The amount of light this thing throws amazes me. The light is about five inches long and about an inch and a quarter in diameter at the largest end. It uses three AAA batteries and sells for about $25.00 at our Menards

Well... if you want to go super light, we use these on-water for marine SAR work:

http://peakbeam.thomasnet.com/item/mbs-410...?&forward=1

Erm, the OP wants to hunt for caches, not to guide the mothership in :blink:

Seriously though. We just bought a two-pack of 3-AAA LED flashlights from Costco - something like $12.99 CAD. They're compact made from aluminum with watertight gaskets, have little lanyards and are shockingly powerful. I may never go back to a mini-maglight again!

Generally I avoid anything that uses 3 cells - the reason is because they're not regulated, so you'll have light dimming as the batteries run down. I also avoid AAAs because they're more expensive than AA (comparing $ / mAH) and not a lot of capacity. I'm not sure about the particular lights you have, but the inexpensive ones are also either 1) bluish and / or 2) not very bright.

I also have a 3W 3xAA maglight (unregulated - but Target was selling a $25 light for $6 so I couldn't resist). I wouldn't have paid $25 for it - it is nice and bright, but it has no intensity control. It has the ability to focus or diffuse the beam though, which is nice.

2AA : for the price, the Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme™ 3W LED Flashlight can't be beat. (around 25$)

3D : and then there is the Sportsman Xtreme™ 4W LED Flashlight. Incredibly bright. (around 40$)

I highly recommend both of these because you can get the performance of a high end high priced light, at a fraction of the cost.

I just love my Pelican 7060. It's a little smaller than a double-D cell flashlight but it's unbelievably bright. My caching partner calls it the flamethrower.

Truth be known, my Pelican so bright that it occasionally draws unwanted attention to my caching activities, so I've gotten in the habit of using a little 2-AAA LED flashlight most of the time. I got one of the Eveready Hard Case Professional 2 AAA Inspection Lights from Home depot for less than $10; more as a "disposable" (read: loseable) light, but I've really come to like it a lot. Perhaps it's best attribute is it doesn't roll, so it stays where you put it when you set it down. That, and it slips very comfortably into a pants pocket. I've been using it almost nightly for a couple of months now and it still has the original batteries in it.

Pete

Edited by Curioddity

Wow, I'm suprised by a lot of the suggestions. The world of flashlights have changed and for a <$100 budget you should be able to get the exact light you want.

I'm assumming your GPS runs on AA batteries. If this is the case then you want a light that does the same. Forget the D and C cell flashlights, they weigh a ton and who wants to carry that around plus the huge needed cells for backup.

Things to consider.

1) Do you want a belt clip. Some lights come with a clip so you can clip to your belt.

2) Do you want a wrist/neck lanyard.

3) How would you feel about a headlamp instead?

Some lights to research. They're all BRIGHT so that goes without saying. All of these lights (except the H501w) will make a standard AA maglite look like you just lit a match.

1) Fenix TK20, comes with a clip and holster. You'll need to supply a lanyard but it does have a spot to attache if you wish. They are absolutely indestructible. See this link, post #51. Two modes Lo/Hi. Pretty easy to use with gloves. Efficient ~ 12 hours on Lo. ~ $55.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showth...TK20&page=2

2) EagleTac P100A2. No clip. Some shops will sell it with a lanyard and/or holster. Brighter but a bit less efficient ~ 8 hours on low. 2 Modes Lo/Hi. Easy to use with gloves.

3) Quark AA-2 (Sold by 4sevens). Includes clip, holster, lanyard and "handgrip". Currently, a very "hot" new AA light. Time will tell on rugedness. 5 modes. Super lo, lo, med, hi, turbo + strobe modes (SOS, beacon, strobe). Crazy efficient when used on med mode.

4) Zebralight H501w. This a pure flood headlamp. It will provide no throw. The light is only good out to about 20'. But it is great for searching.

There are many more .... this is just a start.

If I was in your situation I would stretch my budget and get the Zebra H501w + a handheld AA.

If you want indestructible (caves, mud, dirt, etc.) go with the TK20

If you want the do it all light and crazy bright, go with the Quark AA-2

If you want simplicity (2 modes) bright and durable go with the EagleTac.

Other brands to check out. Nitecore, Romisen, JetBeam, Olight, ITP.

Want to find out just about everything there is to know about AA x 2 quality lights? See this thread . . .

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=214890

Edited by Morning Dew

Fenix TK-11 R2

Best flashlight I own: very small, 240 lumens ~snippo~

I already mentioned this, but I think it bears repeating: When it comes to geocaching, you can definitely have too much light. My most powerful flashlight is a Pelican 7060 which is rated at 130 lumins, and far more often than not, it's too bright. First off, it attracts the attention of people I'd rather have not notice me like the police, security guards, and other muggles. I'm not a scofflaw, especially when I'm out caching, but I still prefer to not generate any unnecessary curiosity. The Pelican also tends to illuminate outer layers foliage too brightly which makes it hard to see into the interior of bushes and trees. Finally, when I turn it off, I can't see diddly-squat for a minute or so while my eyes adjust to the dark again.

I'm not saying that there's never a time or place for a powerful flashlight and when you need one a wimpy one won't do, but those situations are the exception instead of the rule. The rest of the time a low to moderate power AAA or AA light will actually serve you better than a flamethrower.

Pete

ALL THE FLASHLIGHT YOU WILL EVER NEED!

418J3MSWKAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

The HK5000XTR is the latest installment in the HK-Series and is the first to use an electronic LED! Based on Einstein's E=MC² and powered by a real and completely self-contained battery, the HK5000XTR boasts an intruder-blinding 630 "Luminz" of output! Get a grip and and say "Helloooooooo Kitty!" to the HK5000XTR's injection molded space-age polymer/acrylic and Kevlar/titanium reinforced housing. That's right, HK5000XTR is the ultimate portable, long-range illumination tool for the backpacker, explorer, and flashlight lover. Currently issued to all members of Israeli Special Forces!

Fenix TK-11 R2

Best flashlight I own: very small, 240 lumens (which is very bright; 4D Maglite is about 120 lumens), about $80, Fenix-quality build (indestructible), throws a long beam, just great all-around.

I'm not pimping brightguy, but here are some pics and specs:

http://www.brightguy.com/products/Fenix_TK..._Flashlight.php

A nice light but those CR123 batteries will get expensive over time.

I already mentioned this, but I think it bears repeating: When it comes to geocaching, you can definitely have too much light.

The nice thing about the Fenix is that you can change the light level. I find that strong light is useful either for seeing long distance at night (rare), or for lighting up holes during bright daylight.

but unfortunately have been known to wipe credit cards if placed too close to wallets :shocked:

Amazon has the same effect on me...

Very true. That's why I think the sweet spot is the 2xAA lights like the LD20.

I already mentioned this, but I ...

Very true. That's why I think the sweet spot is the 2xAA lights like the LD20.

CR123 are about a buck each online. If the must have flashlight is in a CR123 only version. Like you I went to the AA version.

Edited by Renegade Knight
I don't see why people use anything BUT Maglites...

If you're caching on the trail and come up against ANYthing, snake, burglar, escaped convict, angry bear...

A Maglight will knock the holy poo out of it, no contest.

It's like a stronger version of a policeman's billy club. With a light in it.

Personally I think Maglite makes OK, but not exceptional flashlight.

Unless Maglite has a light saber, I doubt even a 6D is going to put the fear of God into an angry bear. Snakes just want to get away from you. Burglars and escape convicts - what's that phrase about bringing a knife to a gun fight again?

If you're caching on the trail and come up against ANYthing, snake, burglar, escaped convict, angry bear...

A Maglight will knock the holy poo out of it, no contest.

It's like a stronger version of a policeman's billy club. With a light in it.

I've always felt that a gun will get you through times of no club much better than a club will get you through times of no gun, so in situations like you cite I'd rather have a little Streamlight TLR-1 hanging from the barrel of a Desert Eagle.

Pete

Having in fact come into some... shall we say awkward social situations <cough> I can tell you a Maglite would not have been much comfort. Two instances stick in my mind, both involving "critters" of a two legged variety. The first time I had pure dumb luck on my side and I was able to talk my way out of things.

The second time I had to pull aside my un-tucked shirt to reveal a tastefully appointed and lightly holstered .45 ACP that is now my near-constant companion on such adventures. Two-on-one situations like this make me particularly nervous, you see, and while exposing my preferred traveling companion pretty much ended all further conversation with these gentlemen (after a period of sudden and profuse apologies, something about a misunderstanding etc. etc. etc.) my newly found acquaintances decided they had better things to be doing.

As I recall I waited a good two minutes or so after they left before losing my lunch in the bushes.

Maglite does make a decent flashlight for the price-point though. I have a few of them.

I really love my Mag Lites. Even more now that I got the LEDs for 'em. (By the way, I skimped on the 1st one and got the off-brand version. HUGE DIFFERENCE! Get the Mag version!!!)

I decided I wanted a smaller version to carry around with me regularly, so I picked up one of the C cell versions. The OP had mentioned wanting something suitable for smaller hands, this light would fit the bill!

I absolutely love my Inova. It's small enough to disappear into a pocket, but very bright. Seems pretty much indestructable too.

I'll second the Inova. I recently purchased an Inova Bolt at R.E.I for $39 and am very happy with it. It puts out much more light than I expected and, as anlyn mentioned, seems pretty indestructible. It uses two AA batteries. The only drawback is that it doesn't have an adjustable beam.

We're fans of Surefire and now own four. Two G2s, a G2led and a E2D.

Your price range would get you two G2s (his and hers) and a box of batteries

G2s are usually found on e-bay in the 35.00 range.

Nothing like having that mini spotlight leadin' the way. And they fit in a pocket.

Another vote for Surefire. The only downside to Surefire flashlights are the specialized batteries that aren't readily available at most stores. I also have to Mini-mags converted to LED.

Another good reference are the previous threads on flashlights:

What's The Best Flashlight

Flashlights

Geocaching Flashlights