Good camping in western WA - last minute

ThePastafarian

I got this week off at the last minute, and want to take off for a few days to go camping, just to unplug before school starts back up. Usually I go with a bunch of people that want to go somewhere all developed, with bathrooms and roads. This time I want to go somewhere where I won't have to see anything human, so developed campsites are out of the question. I'll be taking my Jeep, so road conditions don't matter, but I don't plan on wheeling alone, so it doesn't have to be an off-road park or anything. Just basic middle of nowhere camping. On a lake I can fish would be a bonus, but not necessary. Some good moderate hiking with views would be nice too. Any ideas?

Hey there fellow Washingtonian! You might find more help if this was posted in the Northwest Forums--a lot of folks there can help point you in the right direction to some nice camping spots.

A few weeks ago I went on an overnight backpacking trip up to Lake Ann and it was AWESOME. ~4 mile hike to an alpine lake nestled between Mount Baker and Mount Shuksan. It's considered to be out in the backcountry so if you're looking into going to the middle of nowhere this would qualify. There's a really nice area to set up a campsite right next to the cache hidden there with some killer views. However, it might be a bit far from where you are, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

You can also check out this website: http://www.wta.org/go-hiking/hikes

Hope you find what you're looking for!

Camping or backpacking?

Car camping, I don't have immediate access to my backpacking gear. That's the snag, I want to avoid developed campsites and people, but at the same time need to be able to drive in. The Jeep can go anywhere, but I can't just drive anywhere I want. I know good spots to hike in, and I know some spots to car camp, but all of them are developed. I guess a developed campsite would be fine if it wasn't overly developed. Seems like all the car camping I've done with people lately had the sites all butted up against each other, rules against burning native wood, rules about how you park your vehicle, some even had :eek: paved roads to the campsites. I just want to get away.

Camping or backpacking?

Car camping, I don't have immediate access to my backpacking gear. That's the snag, I want to avoid developed campsites and people, but at the same time need to be able to drive in. The Jeep can go anywhere, but I can't just drive anywhere I want. I know good spots to hike in, and I know some spots to car camp, but all of them are developed. I guess a developed campsite would be fine if it wasn't overly developed. Seems like all the car camping I've done with people lately had the sites all butted up against each other, rules against burning native wood, rules about how you park your vehicle, some even had :eek: paved roads to the campsites. I just want to get away.

We often go out towards Mt Rainier on highway 410. there is a lot of car camping out there, and even better than that there are TONS of spots where you can just park a car along side of a dirt road or river. Lots of little forest roads. Lots of caches out there too.

I recommend the cache Yosemite Sam and Betty Boop http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...bf-5b9827e06bc1

if you're looking for adventure.

There is a sister cache "where the elks go". You can camp right at the end of the road near this cache even. Those two are a lot of fun, and it's a great area with hundreds of possibities. Bring good maps.