Need Advice on Placing My First Cache

HarmonicaHead

I've been geocaching for a few weeks, have about a dozen finds, and now I want to place my first cache. Specifically, I would like some insight on WHERE you actually need to get permission to place a cache, and WHAT is the best way to EXPLAIN it to a land owner or land manager without confusing the heck out of them. I can envision myself trying to explain geocaching to someone and either completely confusing them or having them ask me why they would want random strangers snooping around their property for a hidden container.

Being an outdoorsy person, I have some great ideas for spots I'd like to use in public parks and wooded areas that are special to me. Do you really need to speak with someone and get permission to place a cahce if it's on public land? This is what I'm not sure about. I wouldn't even know who to ask.

As pertains to private property, I would generally try to stay away from placing caches there, but if I did, what advice can anyone give me on explaining geocaching to the landowner and convincing them that it is safe and nondisruptive?

Thanks for your help! :D

Edited by HarmonicaHead

Many public lands already have some form of a geocaching policy in place. Follow it closely. Sometimes it is published and printed, sometimes verbal. Ask other area local cachers. If the land generally already allows casual recreational use and does not already have a policy - usually not much of a concern.

For private lands, always ask. Ask who is the hard part - finding somebody with enough authority to grant permission can be tricky. Just be prepared to anser questions and show them materials about Geocaching. here are a few resources: http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/

and

http://www.geocaching.com/resources/guide_to_geocaching.pdf