Communicator 2.8.1.0 runs but cannot detect eTrex Legend H

Rivergoat

PC (and laptop) running XP sp3; when I had an older Win 2K hdd I was having similar issues (probably though earlier version of Communicator), but it eventually (and intermittently) worked. Problem is that Communicator loads and says it's fine, but cannot detect USB GPSr (eTrex Legend H), which has USB drivers 221. Have tried everything I can think of, but cannot get the device to be detected. This is true with IE7 or Firefox browsers. Tips? Thoughts?

Edited by Rivergoat

I have had a lot of problems with communicator. I have to update it each time I either get a new gps, or use one if I have not used it in awhile.

Then, even though I have updated communicator, it will tell me I need to update it. When I try it says I have the latest version.

I don't know the exact steps I went through to get mine to work, but it seems to be working for now. I also have easygps for managing my tracks and waypoints. It always works. Of course it's no good for updating a unit.

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it? I remember doing that once. Or restart your computer, I did that before too.

I don't know what the magic ritual is, I was going to butcher a rooster and scatter the feathers the last time, when it started working. There seems to be no logic.

Sorry I'm not more help. I'm just feelin' your pain.

Yeah, I've done about everything short of burning incense and flailing chicken blood at the screen. I sent a note off to Garmin, I think by others' problems with various flavors of this software that it must be seriously flawed.

Having the ability to "send to GPS" is very convenient, but it looks like back to the dark ages and download a .loc file to the PC, then upload it to the GPSr. I think technology will kill us all....

The chicken blood may help. I just finished uninstalling everything to the GPSr, even Easy GPS; ran a chkdsk, defragged (may not have been an issue, but worth doing once in a while anyway), restarted, re-loaded Easy GPS, along with Garmin drivers and Communicator, restarted (running a chkdsk again for the heck of it), and this time the Communicator worked with the unit! Go figure. Testing on the website, yes, it's downloading waypoint information as it should. Thanks for taking up most of my day to clear this up.... :D

Edited by Rivergoat

Try v2.8.2 just released. It may help even though the changelog states that it's "not required"...silly to release a new version that supposedly does nothing and is not required for Windows.

Changes made from version 2.8.1 to 2.8.2:

* Added compatibility with 64-bit Safari 4.0 on Snow Leopard. (This is not a required update for users on Windows operating systems.)

Windows version:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3607

Mac version:

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3739

Edited by SergZak

I am having maybe the same problem with my Garmin Colroado. It will not recognize the Garmin drive with my laptop that has a 64-bit Operating system. It recognizes my Garmin with my PC on the 32-bit. I just spent an hour on the phone with them which they could not help. One thing I have learned is that I have to reformat every drive that I want to use in the laptop before it works. It is asking me to do this with the Garmin. I thought about backing up/or copying all the files to my PC & then reformat to the NTFS on the laptop. Then I was thinking I should be able to use my Garmin with the laptop after copying files back on to it. It recognizes the plug-in but I have an error 1005-had the same error with the SD card inside until I reformatted it. I am able to write a geocache to that drive but can't find it my geocaches. Any suggestions?