Ever got into it with another geocacher?

pimp my taco

The first person to find a cache is the (ready for this?) First To Find. It doesn't matter about paper logs or online logs or published dates or any of that crap.

I think I will start taking pictures of empty log books instead of signing them. Then when we go to an event I will put 'em on a poster as proof of who was the real first to find. :D

Add to that: flip to the last page or inside of back cover, sign and date.

If it wasn't for the purist part of me yelling "No sign = no find" I would call your idea absolutely brilliant.

scubasonic seems pretty peeved at me over how I sometimes sign fresh logs. They seem really upset. I'm not upset or anything but maybe they'll "adjust my attitude". (Borrowed - RK :D )

I try to let it all slide off. I'm a people pleaser but I don't shy away from speaking my mind.

I am quite sure speaking my mind has got me into hot water a few times. I can't stand bullies, and refuse to back down to them.

So today I had a run-in with a fellow geocacher that was less then pleasant. I hid a cache in the woods behind the townhouse complex I live in. The cache is GC1Z3T0 if you want to check it out. So it got reviewed pretty quick and published.

I was at home with a sick kid so I was watching the back and saw the first group come a looking. Me and my daughter were watching them as they were looking for the cache. We decided to bring some loot to the new cache and chat with the FTFers. They were very nice folks. They are fairly new as well and I stood by as they found the cache. While waiting for them to find it, a good friend came coming to find it. It was becoming a party.

So while they were searching we saw someone on the other side of the stream. I asked him if he needed help to get across the stream since he was on the wrong side. He started to complain that the are wasn't clearly marked and the cache was misrepresented. I though this was kind of odd since I did clearly say that it was behind the houses and even gave a parking cords. Didn't seem to matter. He kept arguing how the cache was not done correctly.

When we got back home my friend posted her field notes and the person wrote a log that the cache was in a poorly marked property area. I responded with a note quoting the description that the cache is behind the houses and is public to anyone who wants.

Everyone else who found had it no issue. And my friend suspect that he's just mad because he didn't find it first. I am a very peaceful person and made sure to remain very calm. But if two people have found it within 20 minutes of posting, what seems to be the issue?

So today I had a run-in with a fellow geocacher that was less then pleasant. I hid a cache in the woods behind the townhouse complex I live in. The cache is GC1Z3T0 if you want to check it out. So it got reviewed pretty quick and published.

...<stuff snipped>

From UnNamed's note: "CO says is pubic area" :D Could that be the problem? :blink:

BTW: I thought that you handled it well by posting a nice non-confrontational note on the cache page. Well done.

Edited by knowschad

I don't know if I would say, get into it.

We found a cache yesterday on a electrical utility meter. I found it from the back. As I was signing the log my wife noticed the "No Trespassing" sign inches from the cache on the front of the meter box. Another cacher had mentioned it but the owner thought they were talking about one on a building about 200' away.

Anyway, I mentioned it in my log and an upset email was sent to me quickly. They basically told me to sod off and that they were sorry but they were going to keep it.

Then they realized that I posted a NA log with a picture of the sign. (Immediately after my find log.) They deleted both of my logs and archived the cache.

I had already emailed them telling them what was up. I was sure that they didn't see the sign. I didn't when I found it.

We've talked before a couple times. No problems. I think it was just a misunderstanding.

I'm not sure what it is but I've noticed several times that when we mention anything about "No Trespassing" signs near the cache, it irritates most cache owners.

To me this is absolutely bizarre! If someone pointed out a No Trespassing sign near one of my caches, I would thank them for pointing it out to me and then I would go check it out.

It's like many cache owners are saying, "Gee, I didn't research a cache site very well. So I put it on private property. But NO ONE is allowed to remind me of this! I would rather other cachers get arrested or attacked by guard dogs rather than inconveniencing me in any way."

I don't know if I would say, get into it.

We found a cache yesterday on a electrical utility meter. I found it from the back. As I was signing the log my wife noticed the "No Trespassing" sign inches from the cache on the front of the meter box. Another cacher had mentioned it but the owner thought they were talking about one on a building about 200' away.

Anyway, I mentioned it in my log and an upset email was sent to me quickly. They basically told me to sod off and that they were sorry but they were going to keep it.

Then they realized that I posted a NA log with a picture of the sign. (Immediately after my find log.) They deleted both of my logs and archived the cache.

I had already emailed them telling them what was up. I was sure that they didn't see the sign. I didn't when I found it.

We've talked before a couple times. No problems. I think it was just a misunderstanding.

I'm not sure what it is but I've noticed several times that when we mention anything about "No Trespassing" signs near the cache, it irritates most cache owners.

To me this is absolutely bizarre! If someone pointed out a No Trespassing sign near one of my caches, I would thank them for pointing it out to me and then I would go check it out.

It's like many cache owners are saying, "Gee, I didn't research a cache site very well. So I put it on private property. But NO ONE is allowed to remind me of this! I would rather other cachers get arrested or attacked by guard dogs rather than inconveniencing me in any way."

Ohhhhhhhhh yes,

Was called out a couple of years ago by a number of cachers who shall go nameless. The flap centered around myself an another cacher putting out ADA caches ( Americans With Disabilities ).

From UnNamed's note: "CO says is pubic area"... Could that be the problem?
Depends. What are we talking about here, a Micro? Or is it a...

<gulp>

large??

The cache is a oversized pill bottle. The stream itself is public property owned by the township. So far three people have found it so I'm happy.

...<stuff snipped>

From UnNamed's note: "CO says is pubic area" :) Could that be the problem? :rolleyes:

BTW: I thought that you handled it well by posting a nice non-confrontational note on the cache page. Well done.

The steam itself belongs to the township and not our townhouse community, so it's public.

I didn't think I should get confrontational because I didn't want to deter people from going to the cache. People were able to find it from the description I gave and I'm sorry he didn't feel the same way. I've a very peaceful person after all.

I had a minor run in with a cacher .

I have a cache GC1GXRA Christchurch Gardens which is a nano.

I know people do not like nano's but try hidung anything else with in 100 yards of Scotland Yard.

Any way some body posted a log saying they had found the cache but not not signed the log book as it was full. I had that morning replaced the log book . So I emailed him pointing out the log book was fresh that morning and I might have to delete his log. He emailed me back and said he had not signed the log as he found opening nano fiddlerley. He offered to send me a photograph of the hide so I let his log stand.

Given that people are always llosing the magnet from the nano or leaving it out in the open instead of tucking it neatly out of sight it was proabably best he had not tried to open the nano and made a mess of it!

Any way some body posted a log saying they had found the cache but not not signed the log book as it was full. I had that morning replaced the log book . So I emailed him pointing out the log book was fresh that morning and I might have to delete his log.

Out of curiosity - were you tempted to delete the log just because the logbook hadn't been signed, or because you doubted the cache had actually been found?

Any way some body posted a log saying they had found the cache but not not signed the log book as it was full. I had that morning replaced the log book . So I emailed him pointing out the log book was fresh that morning and I might have to delete his log.

Out of curiosity - were you tempted to delete the log just because the logbook hadn't been signed, or because you doubted the cache had actually been found?

The statement that the logbook was full was not true so I had doubts as to whether the cache had actually been found!

I have had a finder claim one of my caches was illegal because you had to jump a fence to get to it. Yes the quickest route was to jump a fence. The route described in the cache listing did not require jumping a fence. I have even heard of finder pressing the should be archived button because they believe the cache is on private property only to find out the cache owner had permission to place the cache there. Or worse yet, reporting in their found it log that they crossed multiple no trespassing signs to get to the cache, get their smiley, and then report the cache is on private property and it should be removed.

The other day we had an event called the vegas valley georally.the cache owner made me jump through hoops to sign up for the event and two other cachers didn't even follow the rules and they got in easy. It took three days just for me to sign up for the event, and the event holder was very snotty to me before during and after the event. She's just being a total bit**.

...<stuff snipped>

From UnNamed's note: "CO says is pubic area" :) Could that be the problem? :D

The steam itself belongs to the township and not our townhouse community, so it's public.

Uh... I don't think you read the section that I quoted carefully enough.

OH YES.

The local FTF chapter here does not like to have any level of humor implied on their FTF obsessions. I even had one of them email me and let me know he knew where I lived. I never met him before. And me with young kids and a wife, I was more than concerned. That was something special.

I have to wonder how much a person must hate themselves and or hate other people to go to the lengths I have seen and experienced personally. Are these people really this miserable or do they feel threatened in some way by the other person / people they take it out on? Could it be they are trying to win approval from others thinking their acts are justified?

Edited by Keith Watson
Does it matter? No signed log/and or cache not actually found = no find.

It matters to me, because I'm interested in the protocol by which other cachers play the game.

In any case, the equation no signed log = no find is by no means obvious, unlike cache not actually found = no find which seems logically unassailable.

I thought I did give you the answer/protocol, but....

After x number of finds, cachers start to get to know where things are and some styles can now be spotted from some distance off, ammo cans in the woods for instance. What is to keep someone from working a forest preserve with 40+ caches from seeing that pile of sicks or lone hollow log and saying it is found so I can move on quickly and never actually touching it.

Another instance that happened to me is I was sure I found the cache, however the lid was screwed on so type (PVC pipe) that I could not get it off. I contacted the CO, included a pic, to tell him and got back the response that many had contacted him to tell him about it and it was not the cache. If I had just said to myself the lid was froze so it is a find, I would not have been correct.

Of course, there are CO's that will allow other forms of verification, but you asked more in general.

From the "Getting Started" page at GC, it seems the acceptable protocol is:

1. Register for a free membership.

2. Click "Hide & Seek a Cache."

3. Enter your postal code and click "search."

4. Choose any geocache from the list and click on its name.

5. Enter the coordinates of the geocache into your GPS Device.

6. Use your GPS device to assist you in finding the hidden geocache.

7. Sign the logbook and return the geocache to its original location.

8. Share your geocaching stories and photos online.

When you list your hide you agree to monitor for bogus online logs, bogus being GS's word. It is safe to say no signature, especially without some extenuating circumstances where the CO agrees to accept some other verification, would be bogus. i.e. full log or soaked log.

So the obvious is...sign log=get credit.

Sorry to the original poster for getting so OT.

Edited by baloo&bd

we firstfound a cache and then a subsequent finder wrote me a hostile note flat-out calling us liars since he hadn't seen our names in the logbook.

i responded by politely asking him to which address i should send his first finder prize that i had inadvertently taken from the cache while i was there.

to his credit, he made the hike again the next day and found that he had gotten the logbook backward and therefore not noticed our signatures on the first page. his apology was very lovely.

I thought I did give you the answer/protocol, but....

You gave me an answer, for which I am grateful, but an answer is not necessarily the answer.

What is to keep someone from working a forest preserve with 40+ caches from seeing that pile of sicks or lone hollow log and saying it is found so I can move on quickly and never actually touching it.

Absolutely nothing. But I'm not particularly interested in stopping anyone doing anything, but in discovering the variety of current practices.

From the "Getting Started" page at GC, it seems the acceptable protocol is:

I am aware of the letter of the law. I am also aware that many people have the sense not to be entirely constrained by the letter of the law, and so behave slightly differently, in various mutually acceptable ways.

When you list your hide you agree to monitor for bogus online logs, bogus being GS's word.

A log is 'bogus' only when the cache has not been found.

It is safe to say no signature, especially without some extenuating circumstances where the CO agrees to accept some other verification, would be bogus. i.e. full log or soaked log.

Broken pencil? Heavy rain? Impatient children? Swarm of bees? Muggles? Absentmindedness?

Or would those constitute bogus finds too? :)

I understand you are trying to just be contrary, but, yes they are bogus. Remember, you asked for the common etiquette/view points.

Broken pencil?

As you will see in other threads the no pencil argument does not hold water, there is always something you can make a mark with. Not to mention, poor planning on your part to not bring something to write with does not negate your obligation.

Heavy rain?

Wasn't too heavy for you to go looking, why would it be too heavy to sign?

Impatient children?

Why is the cache owner responsible for a parents lack of parenting skills?

Swarm of bees?

You forgot meteor shower, Armageddon, broken hand. military invasion, heart attack, bear chased away, sun burning out, second coming and of course, my dog ate it. :)

Muggles?

I doubt you will find many who wouldn't consider this an excuse, not a reason.

Absentmindedness?

You remembered to mark it found in your GPSr or personal logbook and to log it online. I have realized when I got back to the vehicle once or twice that I did not sign the book. It was a simple matter of walking back to the cache.

Most cachers do not audit their logbooks. Also, it is up to the individual CO how they decide to handle it. On the other hand, one of the few, legitimate reason for deleting an online log is no signature. If a online log is deleted for no signature, there is nothing to whinecomplain about.

Bottom line: You asked for common practice. It has now been asked and answered.

Back to the topic please.

I understand you are trying to just be contrary, but, yes they are bogus. Remember, you asked for the common etiquette/view points.

There was no intention to be contrary. I asked (someone else) a civil question, to which a couple of other posters have had the decency to contribute their varied opinions without feeling the need to shout loudly.

Unfortunately, the possibility of any further discussion and the likelihood that any additional opinions will be forthcoming has now been killed stone dead by the (slightly comical) ferocity of your own uber-literalist convictions. All rather ironic, given the thread's original topic. That's how it goes, I suppose. :)

Edited by agentmancuso

The other day we had an event called the vegas valley georally.the cache owner made me jump through hoops to sign up for the event and two other cachers didn't even follow the rules and they got in easy. It took three days just for me to sign up for the event, and the event holder was very snotty to me before during and after the event. She's just being a total bit**.

For anyone reading this, I apologize for the lengthiness, but I don't appreciate being called names without having first earned them, and I don't feel I earned this one, so I'm going to defend myself.

You call me a bit** on a public forum and make me out to be the "bad guy." You really see that you've done nothing wrong?

1) When we first published the event, we were only allowed to publish it as a breakfast event, not as the georally. To help us determine who was attending the breakfast and who wanted to participate in the rally, we specifically made a note in the description that if you wanted to participate, you had to say so in your log AND you had to list TWO members of your team. Your second team member stated that they were unable to be there and you NEVER mentioned that you would be participating in your initial log--you said you'd be there, nothing about participating. When your second team member said they wouldn't be there, you were dropped. When you finally posted that your dad would be your second team member, you were immediately added back to the list. Regarding the two people that "didn't follow the rules," one of their logs said that they would be COMPETING. "Competing" tells me that they were participating, and so they had no need to update their logs, but to appease YOUR log about my showing favoritism, they posted a new log. You jumped through no more hoops than anyone else did. Besides posting rude logs, you never bothered to e-mail me and ask me why I hadn't posted your team.

2) I was NOT snotty to you before the event or during the event. In fact, I remember introducing myself to you and that's about it. I was extremely busy the day of the event, so if I was rude to you, I was, by no means rude to you on purpose. Please, tell me how I was rude to you, because this is now the second time you've accused me and you won't say what I did.

Did you feel that you deserved extra special attention or something? Should I have held your hand, or drawn you a map or given you extra points because you were one of the younger participants. One of my closest friends was participating in the rally and I think I said two sentences to her the entire time. Heck, I hardly spoke to my co-organizer! (yes, I wasn't the only "event holder," I'm just the one taking the brunt of one angry cacher's actions).

3) Rude to you after the event, perhaps. Are you talking about at Whole Foods? Because I never spoke to anyone--I sat there tallying scores for two hours--so I'm not sure how I could have been rude to you. But if you're talking about a few days later, after you started posting your finds, yes I was, but since you want to air this in the public, I want to make sure everyone knows what happened so no one thinks I'm some evil "bi***." Here's your original log for one of the caches:

Bmxer11 found It's Your Cache (Traditional Cache) at 9/21/2009

Log Date: 9/21/2009

Found during the event.had lots of fun.I buried this back in there during the event so no one could find it.lol.tftc

BURIED a cache--something completely against the guidelines and yes, it was BURIED. (And I've recently learned that you've hidden a few caches that you bury underground, so this shows you have a pattern.) When I e-mailed you and asked you to, in the future, put caches back EXACTLY as you found them, not in a way that you think is better, you posted this note to the cache page.

Bmxer11 posted a note for It's Your Cache (Traditional Cache) at 9/21/2009

Log Date: 9/21/2009

I went back and left the cache out in the open, so vegaschick would quit bitching. She accused me of rehiding it too good. There was a mystery cache affiliated with this cache that no one could find. She is blaming me for everything that went wrong with this one cache. The mystery cache was the problem, and she needs to pay better attention next time.

You completed took my e-mail out of context and then made it sound as if I were harassing you. Because of both of these comments, BOTH logs were deleted, and I was even nice enough to send you a note and tell you that I had done so. The following weekend, you found a few caches and then complained about me in THOSE cache logs, caches which had NOTHING to do with the rally or with me, cache owners that had NOTHING to do with me. And you said in one of your logs for OST5 that I was an idiot, and that I had ruined your motivation for caching. Wow, I ruined your motivation, but it only took you a week to get it back? I'll be more than happy to quote your original logs for those two caches because I got phone calls about your logs before you went back and revised them.

You have had a few run-ins with a number of our local cachers, either because you didn't like their online logs or because you didn't like the type of cache they've hidden. A LOT of your online logs are negative, complaining about how a cache is hidden, or how a cache is in a terrible area. If you think so many of us cachers are idiots and don't know anything, perhaps you should start reviewing your own actions or find a new hobby where you don't have to be surrounded by us idiots. Maybe you should check your own attitude. You were the ONLY person that has complained about me at the rally, and out of 65-70 attendees, I don't think it's me that has the problem.

OH YES.

The local FTF chapter here does not like to have any level of humor implied on their FTF obsessions. I even had one of them email me and let me know he knew where I lived. I never met him before. And me with young kids and a wife, I was more than concerned. That was something special.

What is the deal with FTFs? I mean, I sort of understand it, but those that comprise the FTF chapters (I LOVE that phrase) are out for blood when it comes to an FTF! One of our local FTF hunters has been chewed out (in e-mail and in person) for being a FTF hunter on several occasions. I just never really thought it was such a big deal--a smiley's a smiley and there's no icon for FTF.

For anyone reading this, I apologize for the lengthiness, but I don't appreciate being called names without having first earned them, and I don't feel I earned this one, so I'm going to defend myself.

I almost said something after that message was posted. I checked the online logs for your event, and it sure seemed to me that all you were trying to do was to know how many were attending vs. how many were participating. Seemed pretty clear to me.

[

What is the deal with FTFs?

I was wondering the same thing. I was the FTF on a cache a couple of weeks ago, and was very pleased about it, in a distinctly childish sort of way. But it hadnever occurred to me to be disappointed at not being the first at any other cache I've visited. :drama:

There people out there that may think they are better cachers than others because they got there first. Maybe a way to show off that their toys are better than others because they got the alert and were able to act on it before anyone else.

Anyone can find a cache. Only one person can find it first.

There people out there that may think they are better cachers than others because they got there first. Maybe a way to show off that their toys are better than others because they got the alert and were able to act on it before anyone else.

Doesn't it just mean they have fewer responsibilities, too much spare time, or little else that's worth doing? :drama:

Doesn't it just mean they have fewer responsibilities, too much spare time, or little else that's worth doing? :drama:

Oh, I like that response!

Does it matter? No signed log/and or cache not actually found = no find.

What if there is no log in the cache because the cache had been recently muggled, contents dumped, original container taken, but contents of cache (no log book, it probably blew away) put in a temporary cache by the last person to find it (the person before me)?

3) Rude to you after the event, perhaps. Are you talking about at Whole Foods? Because I never spoke to anyone--I sat there tallying scores for two hours--so I'm not sure how I could have been rude to you. But if you're talking about a few days later, after you started posting your finds, yes I was, but since you want to air this in the public, I want to make sure everyone knows what happened so no one thinks I'm some evil "bi***." Here's your original log for one of the caches:

When vegaschick does anything she puts her whole heart in it...she gets so focused, none of us exist...you should see her at Girl Scout Cookie Time! :drama:

I am really sorry I missed this event, I heard it was a blast and the best event ever.

Oh and back on topic...I have never got into it with another cacher...Thank goodness, this game is supposed to be FUN!!!

I have to say, out of all the defensive responses to someone on these forums, that was the most well balanced one I've ever read. A shining example to others of how to do it. Also...

294168009_b25decaddf.jpg

Boy, did they ever get told...

Ever get into it with another geocacher. Issues with deleted logs, cachers muggling caches, or just anything?

i have had one older cache email me and go off because on the online log i wrote that i thought i was the first to find but there was some number SCRIBBLED on the log that i did not know was. for all i knew it could have been a conformation number. turns out it was this "ladys" trail name. and she was really mad because i said she scribbled and felt she needed to tell me how geo cachers are suppose to treat each other. and to top it off she claimed stf and said her fiend got ftf but i dont remember seeing any other names on the log.hmmm. anyway i emailed her back apologized for hurting her feelings and that at her age i couldnt believe she had such thin skin and just let the rest go it isn't worth the hassle

My boys and I spend the summer with my parents up in Northern Michigan. My sister knows how much I like to geocache but I don't really get the oppurtunity with three boys and a traveling/hunting husband. She said she'd watch the kids and I could take a day and find some caches in my home state.

The night before my outing I found a cache had been newly published abd logged online by only two people. I headed out there with my Geodog Kit and found the regular sized cache under some boardwalk steps and opened it up.

I was surprised to find it completely empty except for the log, a penci and someone's "I was here" calling card. I wasn't all that upset because I was by myself and am perfectly fine with signing the log and claiming the find on the cache info page. However, when signed the online log, I did share my disappointment that a regular sized cache was so completely empty and that someone had left only their calling card. I mentioned I was out alone that day, but I often find caches with my kids and they would have been extremely bummed to find a cache big enough for their kind of goodies, but empty of fun.

Laer that day I got an email from the cache owner and the FTF, saying how rude I was to post such a thing, that the FTF prize was a t-shirt and that caches are often found empty and to put something in there and carry on.

I'm still new to this wonderful game, but I didn't think I owed them an apology. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I did say that a cache three days old should have had more in it than a FTF prize and who wants to trade something for a business type card with a stranger's name on it? I again said how disappointed my kids would have been, but they would have gotten over it.

They didn't reply back and I hadn't thought about it since until I read through this thread. What are your opinions?

My boys and I spend the summer with my parents up in Northern Michigan. My sister knows how much I like to geocache but I don't really get the oppurtunity with three boys and a traveling/hunting husband. She said she'd watch the kids and I could take a day and find some caches in my home state.

The night before my outing I found a cache had been newly published abd logged online by only two people. I headed out there with my Geodog Kit and found the regular sized cache under some boardwalk steps and opened it up.

I was surprised to find it completely empty except for the log, a penci and someone's "I was here" calling card. I wasn't all that upset because I was by myself and am perfectly fine with signing the log and claiming the find on the cache info page. However, when signed the online log, I did share my disappointment that a regular sized cache was so completely empty and that someone had left only their calling card. I mentioned I was out alone that day, but I often find caches with my kids and they would have been extremely bummed to find a cache big enough for their kind of goodies, but empty of fun.

Laer that day I got an email from the cache owner and the FTF, saying how rude I was to post such a thing, that the FTF prize was a t-shirt and that caches are often found empty and to put something in there and carry on.

I'm still new to this wonderful game, but I didn't think I owed them an apology. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I did say that a cache three days old should have had more in it than a FTF prize and who wants to trade something for a business type card with a stranger's name on it? I again said how disappointed my kids would have been, but they would have gotten over it.

They didn't reply back and I hadn't thought about it since until I read through this thread. What are your opinions?

I don't think I would have said anything. It's the cache owner's option to load the cache with swag, just as it's their option to hide an ammo can or an altoids tin. Most caches end up empty after a few visits anyways, because there will always be a few cachers that take something and leave nothing. If this is a something that bothers you, you could always stop by the cache and load a few goodies in there and I'm SURE that the cachers that find it after you do so would appreciate that!

...<stuff snipped>

From UnNamed's note: "CO says is pubic area" :P Could that be the problem? :o

Uh... I don't think you read the section that I quoted carefully enough.

Oh I think they certainly did. It's a well known fact that pubic areas can give off steam when friction generates enough heat and when...... :P:P:D