Ever got into it with another geocacher?

pimp my taco

Ever get into it with another geocacher. Issues with deleted logs, cachers muggling caches, or just anything?

No, but an incident this morning tempted me for a couple seconds.

A cacher emailed the reviewer in my area asking that my cache get archived, or at the least rereviewed, because it was too dangerous. They said they wouldn't try my cache again and would tell everyone they knew to avoid this cache.

Their issue was that the cache area had no parking nearby and was too close to a highway with no shoulder for pedestrians and the speeders on the highway.

The funny thing is my cache is a few feet off of the sidewalk about 25 feet up the sidewalk from a bus stop and there is parking across the street.

They apparantly don't know of the road that runs next to the cache. Sure, its busy, but hardly "dangerous" to cache from this location.

I took the high road and just emailed the reviewer to let him know what was really the situation.

Perhaps you should do the same.

Today I ate lunch with some friends (no... not geocachers)... at one point, we commented on how well two of them (who have been friends for many years) got along. The dialogue went something like this:

a: yeah... but we can really get into it sometimes too...

b: really got going the other day

b's wife: what was it you went nose-to-nose about?

a: I don't really remember what it was.

b: Let me think and try to remember.

Me: perhaps we'd all enjoy our lunch more if you didn't try to remember what it was?

My point? Perhaps (now I could be mistaken here...) we'd enjoy the forums more without hashing out disputes that had their origins off the forums... just maybe...

:laughing:

Edited by PastorJon

Ever get into it with another geocacher. Issues with deleted logs, cachers muggling caches, or just anything?

A cacher emailed the reviewer in my area asking that my cache get archived, or at the least rereviewed, because it was too dangerous. They said they wouldn't try my cache again and would tell everyone they knew to avoid this cache.

Their issue was that the cache area had no parking nearby and was too close to a highway with no shoulder for pedestrians and the speeders on the highway.

The funny thing is my cache is a few feet off of the sidewalk about 25 feet up the sidewalk from a bus stop and there is parking across the street.

They apparantly don't know of the road that runs next to the cache. Sure, its busy, but hardly "dangerous" to cache from this location.

I took the high road and just emailed the reviewer to let him know what was really the situation.

Maybe it would help future cachers, especially ones that come in out of town and don't know the area(or people who need helmets :laughing: ) "do not attempt from highway." Then again I wouldn't get in such a huff about it and complain to the reviewer without contacting you first.

Overheard at the poker table a few years ago:

Ernie: "Bert, how have we stayed friends all these years?"

Bert: "Who said we were friends?"

I have had minor disputes in the forums. Someone else once commented that when they met their forum adversary in real life, they got along just fine. I suspect it would be the same with me.

There was one local person that I thought was so devious and underhanded and just plain mean to other cachers (both in person and in forums and personal emails) that I avoided his caches. Only time that ever happened.

A small quarrel at a geocaching event. My wife and I were the fastest ones out to the new caches, and grabbed ourselves more FTF's than others. But in our rush to find the next cache, we only signed our names, without putting the date or FTF. This lady decided that this was cause to chew our butts in a public park because we were not properly filling out the cache logs. I just let her vent, apparently this was a real big deal to her. I guess since she had more finds than us that she felt the need to give us this schooling. She even claimed she was going to take claim to the FTF for a couple of caches due to this "mislogging". Whatever floats her boat.

A small quarrel at a geocaching event. My wife and I were the fastest ones out to the new caches, and grabbed ourselves more FTF's than others. But in our rush to find the next cache, we only signed our names, without putting the date or FTF. This lady decided that this was cause to chew our butts in a public park because we were not properly filling out the cache logs. I just let her vent, apparently this was a real big deal to her. I guess since she had more finds than us that she felt the need to give us this schooling. She even claimed she was going to take claim to the FTF for a couple of caches due to this "mislogging". Whatever floats her boat.

Did you laugh so hard you spilled your (insert favorite beverage here)?

Maybe it would help future cachers, especially ones that come in out of town and don't know the area(or people who need helmets :laughing: ) "do not attempt from highway." Then again I wouldn't get in such a huff about it and complain to the reviewer without contacting you first.

Pretty much how I handled it. I added the first line of the description to include don't approach 100+ feet from the highway but the 5 or so feet from XXX road.

I'm guessing someone let their GPSr do the routing for them and it told them they were there when they were on the highway.

BUT, as you said...they should have approached me first instead of going to the reviewer asking for it to be archived. That was just silly.

man.

if i have to label myself in the log as FTF, then i guess i haven't had any first finds.

mislogging.

huh.

The subject was urban micro size caches. I whupped his butt on every point. It was just too easy.

Oh it didn't change HIS behavior but I anticipated that going in. But one things for dead certain, he doesn't dare mention the subject in my presence.

Victory. :laughing:

That's just absolutely hysterical. Your log is the first one in the logbook. And you have to explicitely write "FTF"? BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

The question there is probably legal access rather than danger. And you satisfied the reviewer's question. Danger is seldom, if ever, a consideration.

I am having a problem with a cacher that logged one of my geocoins. The geocoin is in a collection that I only take to events, but have not done so since 2006. This person claimed in my log that I showed it to him after an event in 2007, though I am sure I have never met this person and know the geocoin was not at the event he mentioned. His account was not even created until 2009. I deleted the log and sent a note telling him I believe he was mistaken and why. His only response has been to repeatedly delete my legitimate log on one of his caches he has in my area. I found this cache with a group of people I regularly cache with, so I have 4 other witnesses. I have sent the info to one of the Groundspeak lackeys, but I am not really sure what to do in this situation. The cacher appears to live a couple hundred miles a way or so. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or knows the proper procedure to follow, I would appreciate it.

I don't know if I would say, get into it.

We found a cache yesterday on a electrical utility meter. I found it from the back. As I was signing the log my wife noticed the "No Trespassing" sign inches from the cache on the front of the meter box. Another cacher had mentioned it but the owner thought they were talking about one on a building about 200' away.

Anyway, I mentioned it in my log and an upset email was sent to me quickly. They basically told me to sod off and that they were sorry but they were going to keep it.

Then they realized that I posted a NA log with a picture of the sign. (Immediately after my find log.) They deleted both of my logs and archived the cache.

I had already emailed them telling them what was up. I was sure that they didn't see the sign. I didn't when I found it.

We've talked before a couple times. No problems. I think it was just a misunderstanding.

I am having a problem with a cacher that logged one of my geocoins. The geocoin is in a collection that I only take to events, but have not done so since 2006. This person claimed in my log that I showed it to him after an event in 2007, though I am sure I have never met this person and know the geocoin was not at the event he mentioned. His account was not even created until 2009. I deleted the log and sent a note telling him I believe he was mistaken and why. His only response has been to repeatedly delete my legitimate log on one of his caches he has in my area. I found this cache with a group of people I regularly cache with, so I have 4 other witnesses. I have sent the info to one of the Groundspeak lackeys, but I am not really sure what to do in this situation. The cacher appears to live a couple hundred miles a way or so. Anyway, if anyone has any suggestions or knows the proper procedure to follow, I would appreciate it.

Methinks your best bet is to move on and not worry about it. It takes all kinds, ya know.

You are going to find 'lumps', but probably more 'grapes'.

Mixing it up with another cacher isn't generally recommended - they know where you've hidden your stuff. It's usually best to just bite your tongue

.....and quietly plot your revenge. :laughing:

It is usually best to tell the truth and call a spade a spade and a shovel a shovel.

Revenge seems just a tad extreme to me. :laughing:

Edited by Team Cotati

If you haven't shown the coin since 06, then how did he get the number?

Maybe he dropped year off of his claim? I happens.

Don't forget about multiple accounts.

Yup. Back when I used to have ALR caches before I learned they are no fun to own, I would enforce the rules. One cacher absolutly refused to change a find to a note and threatened to adjust my attitude for me if they ever met me. I've had, who I suspect is a local cache maggot, infer that they packed a gun and would use it if it came to that. Another person jumped my ship about my posting style and threated to 'adjust my attitude for me (I love that term now) if they ever met me saying I only posed like I do because I can hide behind the computer. Oddly I've never made threates like that from behind a computer. A mode has busted my chops in a pre-emptive strike when I posted in their calm forum. I'm sure there are a couple more in the mix but I've fogotten.

In a nutshell, you can't let these folks own you via their threats. They aren't paragons in these moments even if they do think they are right (and even if they were the moment before the threats). Perhaps later they will pull their heads out and become stand up citizens.

I have let hiders have it a bit in a couple of logs, just to find out that they were kids and didn't know better - boy did I feel like a jerk.

We do have a local kid group that hides using google earth co-ords, and unbeknownst to each other, 3 separate cachers sent them long emails asking them to stop and use a GPSr for co-ords, all on the same day. We all had different rationales, and offered to help in different ways.

Never any public confrontations.

I always have a few choice words in my mind when I am looking for a bison tube hidden underneath moss far from the trailhead - or hiking along steep banks after bushwhacking from the top of a ridge to a lake along routes that are only accessible during droughts. But then again I have only myself to blame in such situations.

That would be very unlikely. His log referenced that he saw the coin after an event that the coin was not even physically at. It was a very small gathering so I know who all was there. My guess is he just randomly guessed some numbers and happened to hit on one of my coins All I can say is that this is frustrating, because I was just trying to follow the guidelines on deleting bogus logs and it seems like I am getting all of the trouble for it while someone who has relatively little time invested in geocaching can go out and throw monkey wrenches into the system with little consequence.

Our run-in was online of course as we almost never encounter other geocachers.

When the very first Jeep TBs came out, one was placed into one of our geocaches. They were a "hot commodity" to find. Once that one was placed, I went to our geocache and traded it out for a TB we'd been holding for a couple days.

A local geocacher started posting notes on all our geocaches warning people not to place TB's in our caches because we did not adhere to the rules of geocaching, etc, etc; We reviewed the geocaching guidelines to see we'd done nothing wrong since a TB goal is to move along.

We deleted the postings, he'd re-post them. We made all our caches member only caches for several days thinking he would stop but once we stopped that he continued his posts.

Finally on a local yahoo geocaching forum, there had been some topics that promoted heavy flaming and some of the comments were very similar to the ones posted in our caches. However in this forum, most people were not using their geocaching handles, they were using their regular email addresses. This particular forum poster seemed to be a constant rabble rouser, eventually dominating a topic until he was the only one posting.

I was able to put two and two together to discovered our flamer and forum flamer were the same guy. On one of the forum topics that he was dominating, I politely mentioned that I knew his identity and would expose him on the forum and whenever he posted a note on our geocaches. I also sent him an email stating the same thing. His response was a slew of profanity followed by a threat to report us to yahoo if we ever contacted him again.

He never flamed again on the yahoo forum and left our caches alone.

He was in his early 40s when he died of natural causes several years later and some other local geocacher created a cache in his memory.

That would be very unlikely. His log referenced that he saw the coin after an event that the coin was not even physically at. It was a very small gathering so I know who all was there. My guess is he just randomly guessed some numbers and happened to hit on one of my coins All I can say is that this is frustrating, because I was just trying to follow the guidelines on deleting bogus logs and it seems like I am getting all of the trouble for it while someone who has relatively little time invested in geocaching can go out and throw monkey wrenches into the system with little consequence.

What a coincidence. Somebody close enough to you who's caches you have visited inferring an increased probability that you would show up at the same event, just "guessing" a coin number that close to them. Imposable? No. Highly unlikely? Yes, so...

That makes my suspicion move towards you two having and individual in common.

Be it he saw a picture they may have posted someplace or they gave him the number directly.

When the very first Jeep TBs came out, one was placed into one of our geocaches. They were a "hot commodity" to find. Once that one was placed, I went to our geocache and traded it out for a TB we'd been holding for a couple days.

A local geocacher started posting notes on all our geocaches warning people not to place TB's in our caches because we did not adhere to the rules of geocaching, etc, etc; We reviewed the geocaching guidelines to see we'd done nothing wrong since a TB goal is to move along...

...He was in his early 40s when he died of natural causes several years later and some other local geocacher created a cache in his memory.

I hope you dropped off a Jeep TB at that cache.

Edited by Castle Mischief

A local geocacher started posting notes on all our geocaches warning people not to place TB's in our caches because we did not adhere to the rules of geocaching, etc, etc; We reviewed the geocaching guidelines to see we'd done nothing wrong since a TB goal is to move along...

...He was in his early 40s when he died of natural causes several years later and some other local geocacher created a cache in his memory.

That one was our first Jeep TB, and this was a TB for TB trade

That one was our first Jeep TB, and this was a TB for TB trade

Specifically going back and dropping a jeep TB in the memorial cache. That would have been good irony. Would have been even funnier if he was killed by a jeep. But that's just me.

Did you point out that if she saw your log, she could not be FTF? I don't get where do you claim an FTF and what you get for such a claim.

That's just absolutely hysterical. Your log is the first one in the logbook. And you have to explicitely write "FTF"? BWAH HAH HAH HAH HAH!

Well, some people do get the FTF, but aren't the first to log.

I don't get this -- chalk it up to being (fairly) new to this, but how can you be FTF without signing the log? Please educate me!

I don't get this -- chalk it up to being (fairly) new to this, but how can you be FTF without signing the log? Please educate me!

It should have said "but aren't the first to log online"

You can only be FTF if you sign the cache log. Some get a kick out of being the first to log online. Some get a kick by being FTF and NOT logging online to make others think they will be FTF.

The first person to find a cache is the (ready for this?) First To Find. It doesn't matter about paper logs or online logs or published dates or any of that crap.

I think I will start taking pictures of empty log books instead of signing them. Then when we go to an event I will put 'em on a poster as proof of who was the real first to find. :shocked:

The first person to find a cache is the (ready for this?) First To Find. It doesn't matter about paper logs or online logs or published dates or any of that crap.

I think I will start taking pictures of empty log books instead of signing them. Then when we go to an event I will put 'em on a poster as proof of who was the real first to find. :shocked:

Perhaps I am confused, but it was my understanding that you should not claim a "Found It" (smiley) for a cache unless you have actually signed the log. In other words, if you don't sign the log, you didn't find it. At least, with regards to Geocaching.com and the normal procedure for finding, and logging, a cache. Thanks for the sarcasm, tho, it really helped with my education.

I tend to find most people will be a lot braver behind a keyboard or behind your back then they will in person. I have had one cacher try to get be banned for violating the terms of service, ground speak verified I wasn’t, and another cacher placed a Wherigo that would punish specific cachers by making them walk farther than other people by a mater of kilometres.

It is pretty sad when people take this hobby to the extent that they will take their own frustrations out on other people or even anyone who associates with a person they don’t like.

I once got a message from a geocacher I had never heard of before. He was very angry, telling me that he was the FTF on this one cache, but that I had written above his name and wrote that I was instead. He was telling me how horrible I was, etc. I wrote him back telling him that no, I was the 5th person to find it, that I had no idea what he was talking about, and that I didnt like being yelled at someone I had never heard of before.

He wrote me back a few days later saying it wasnt me, and that he was sorry, but that I shouldnt have responded as angry as I did. Ive met him a few times on the trail and he comes into where I work all the time and its been civil and we tell geostories.

And the only person who knows the fact of it is the second to find. :blink:

Of course if there is no paper log evidence of the FTF, then no one will ever know for certain. So I do think that those paper logs serve a purpose in this regard. Of course it is always possible for the STF to manage to squeeze their signoff into just that ever so tiny little bit of white space right there above the FTF.

Has anyone ever heard of someone logging online without actually having found the physical cache......yet? :( No, I didn't think so.

In the end, as usual, if the participants have little or no integrity and honesty, the whole thing counts for nothing.

This is exactly why I find it moderatly humorous to get so worked up over something so unimportant. It can become a total exercise in futility.

Guess that it must be really important to some to be known as the FTF top dog in a area, I do not know. I do know one thing, I haven't a clue who that might be around these parts. That is true today and I can pretty well guarantee that it will remain true for the foreseeable future.

<snip>

In the end, as usual, if the participants have little or no integrity and honesty, the whole thing counts for nothing.

This is exactly why I find it moderatly humorous to get so worked up over something so unimportant. It can become a total exercise in futility.

Guess that it must be really important to some to be known as the FTF top dog in a area, I do not know. I do know one thing, I haven't a clue who that might be around these parts. That is true today and I can pretty well guarantee that it will remain true for the foreseeable future.

Snipped and bolded for emphasis.

DING, DING, DING, DING, DING, DING, DING, DING, DING! We have a winner.

I couldn't agree more. I find it funny how those same people who have to brag about their claims to be the #1 whatever, usually are the ones with the lack of integrity. They have something to prove to everyone else. Why? I have no idea.

That being said, I know the number 1 cachers in my state for shear numbers. They're retired. They never brag, never gloat but are always friendly and helpful without giving things away. Very top notch people. Proud to know them. Would love to cache with them some day.

Me? I just want to be a Pepper (insert '70's commercial jingle here)

I couldn't agree more. I find it funny how those same people who have to brag about their claims to be the #1 whatever, usually are the ones with the lack of integrity. They have something to prove to everyone else. Why? I have no idea.

That being said, I know the number 1 cachers in my state for shear numbers. They're retired. They never brag, never gloat but are always friendly and helpful without giving things away. Very top notch people. Proud to know them. Would love to cache with them some day.

Sounds like some of the cachers we have in our area. You are right about the cachers with the highest numbers around here. They just go out and cache.