Creating routes from tracks - on a mac?

Hello,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but searching for "mac" doesn't work in this forum.

Yesterday I've been out caching by bike and I tracked the tour. Because I enjoyed the tour and would like to share it with some friends, I created a route in Garmins RoadTrip software by creating waypoints along the track (with autorouting turned off). When I sent the route to my device (a 60CSx) it informed me that the route has been truncated. When I view the route on the map it seems to be complete, though. The route has 294 waypoints.

What went wrong?

Creating the route was not very comfortable anyway - I had to turn off autorouting because it created hilarious detours to avoid normal streets with no apparent reason. Is there a way to create routes from tracks automatically? I'm on a mac, the software I found so far was for windows machines only.

Thanks in advance for your help!

best,

Pulvertoastmann

Hello,

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but searching for "mac" doesn't work in this forum.

Thanks in advance for your help!

best,

Pulvertoastmann

The search engine here won't accept terms less than 5 characters(better than nothing I guess).

Add the rest of the letters to fill out the word "Macintosh" & you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe even try "Apple", don't get too "tuckered-out" though! :laughing:

Norm

Groundspeak's search function limitation (and work-around) really needs to be a sticky at the top of every forum here.

Get thee to Google and type in your search phrase, and add...

site:forums.Groundspeak.com

...to the end of the search phrase.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your real question though. Maybe you could Google it :laughing:

If everything looks right I wouldn't worry too much about the error message.

When sharing tracks I find it's always easier, and usually at least as useful, to just share the track file rather than going to all the work to try to create a route. That's especially true if any part of the track is "off road". As you discovered, that will completely mess with the routing software, with some really entertaining results as it tries to make sense of the "off road" bits. :laughing:

...ken...

Your question really isn't OS specific. It's a reality of devices. Tracks and routes are different. Tracks can have thousands of points. Routes can have dozens. (You can look up the numbers in the FAQ if you want.) So of course, it gets truncated on send.

You can use something like GPSBabel (yes, available on a Mac) to simplify the track to the 50 (or whatever the number is) most mathematically interesting points then convert to a route before sending it to the unit.

Groundspeak's search function limitation (and work-around) really needs to be a sticky at the top of every forum here.

Get thee to Google and type in your search phrase, and add...

site:forums.Groundspeak.com

...to the end of the search phrase.

Sorry I don't know the answer to your real question though. Maybe you could Google it <_<

Thanks for that, I've always wondered. It is definately the dumbest limitation I've ever seen in any forum online. I could see possibly 3 letter limitation, but 5? It's preposterous.

... When I sent the route to my device (a 60CSx) it informed me that the route has been truncated. When I view the route on the map it seems to be complete, though. The route has 294 waypoints.

What went wrong?

The 60CSx routes can have a maximum of 50 waypoints if Follow Roads routing is used or 250 waypoints if Off Road routing is used. Similarilarly with tracks, if you import a track with more than 500 trackpoints you get an error message that the data was truncated.

Bob

Edited by Bob Morphew