City Navigator Software Issue

Old-Man

Last year I got a Garmin 60CSX, it's a great GPS but I broke it because of a bad crash on my motorcycle. So I went out and got a new one last week and when to install all the software that I got for my other GPS. I went to hook my GPS up to the computer to load it into my new GPS and it will not let me load it. It's telling me the serial numbers don't match. I take it that it's reading the serial number off of my old damaged GPS. It there a way to load this program into my new GPS?

Thanks!

Last year I got a Garmin 60CSX, it's a great GPS but I broke it because of a bad crash on my motorcycle. So I went out and got a new one last week and when to install all the software that I got for my other GPS. I went to hook my GPS up to the computer to load it into my new GPS and it will not let me load it. It's telling me the serial numbers don't match. I take it that it's reading the serial number off of my old damaged GPS. It there a way to load this program into my new GPS?

Thanks!

Yes, you need an unlock code for every GPS you want to load City Navigator onto. The maps are unlocked for your old GPS and you need a new unlock code for your new GPS.

Did you register both units on the Garmin website?

Contact Garmin (a Toll Free call in the US) and explain your situation. They should (might) give you an unlock code for the new unit. When they replaced my GPS a few months ago it only took a few minutes on the phone to obtain a new unlock code to transfer my maps.

Thanks!

Yes, you need an unlock code for every GPS you want to load City Navigator onto. The maps are unlocked for your old GPS and you need a new unlock code for your new GPS.

Did you register both units on the Garmin website?

Contact Garmin (a Toll Free call in the US) and explain your situation. They should (might) give you an unlock code for the new unit. When they replaced my GPS a few months ago it only took a few minutes on the phone to obtain a new unlock code to transfer my maps.

Thanks I will call them on Monday.

Just be aware that they will typically permit a free registration swap for GPS units replaced under warranty, but not for new units purchased regardless of the reason. The reason is that the unlock codes are "consumable" items. (ie once they are used, they cannot be used again. And the unlock is typically only good for a single GPS unit. It really can't be transferred because they have not way to know that the previous unit is not still in use).

So, don't be surprised if you do not get the maps unlocked for free to the the new unit.

Posters are advised to ensure that all use and communication on Groundspeak sites are governed by the site TOU.

http://www.geocaching.com/about/termsofuse.aspx

You agree not to:

(c ) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationship.

(l) Promote or provide instructional information about illegal activities, promote physical harm or injury against any group or individual.

Edited by Motorcycle_Mama

Posters are advised to ensure that all use and communication on Groundspeak sites are governed by the site TOU.

You agree not to:

(c ) Upload, post or otherwise transmit any content that you do not have a right to transmit under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationship.

(l) Promote or provide instructional information about illegal activities, promote physical harm or injury against any group or individual.

So "helpers" would need to contact eachother outside of the GS site, correct?

~snicker~

:laughing:

Just be aware that they will typically permit a free registration swap for GPS units replaced under warranty, but not for new units purchased regardless of the reason. The reason is that the unlock codes are "consumable" items. (ie once they are used, they cannot be used again. And the unlock is typically only good for a single GPS unit. It really can't be transferred because they have not way to know that the previous unit is not still in use).

So, don't be surprised if you do not get the maps unlocked for free to the the new unit.

According to the laws of software, the user owns ONE copy of the maps when they buy it. True, it is only licensed to them but they own the license once purchased. Microsoft faced lawsuits based on their licensing policies that were restricting OS's to be transferred from one machine to another.

If the OP can prove that the map on the original GPSr is no longer usable, then Garmin would be wrong to not allow an install on the OPs new unit since it is a "transfer" of purchased license from one unit to another.

I'm sure I could have worded this better but you get the point.

You agree not to:

So, is asking a user to check his PMs a TOU violation, too? :laughing:

Edited by scotthsi

You agree not to:

So, is asking a user to check his PMs a TOU violation, too? :laughing:

No but giving them the information that (I believe) you intend to give them, in GS PM, might be.

You can ask for their Email so you can help them, without being specific, in a GS PM and it's probably going to be OK. As long as you don't do anything, or advise anything, that is illegal on the GS sites.