Hennessy Hammock

GeoQuester11

I was looking around to find a shelter of some kind (as light as possible :laughing: ) when I found this hammock/fly combo, "Hennessy Hammock Expedition A-Sym Hammock" on REI.com. REI.com's description said it could be used as a tent on the ground, combined with your hiking sticks. Does that work? Depending where you go in my area, there aren't always trees... advice?

Edited by GeoQuester11

I was looking around to find a shelter of some kind (as light as possible :laughing: ) when I found this hammock/fly combo, "Hennessy Hammock Expedition A-Sym Hammock" on REI.com. REI.com's description said it could be used as a tent on the ground, combined with your hiking sticks. Does that work? Depending where you go in my area, there aren't always trees... advice?

I own the Hennesy A-Sym Ultralight (I beleive thats the name). I love the hammock. The one main drawback to me is that I am not comfortable in colder temps. I have tried pads and other suggestions but still get cold below 45 degrees. It is great for warmer temps......and comfy. I have set up the hammock on the ground using hiking poles and it can be done. I have never actually slept in it this way but it certainly is possible. Of course you would want a pad. Be sure to protect the bottom of the hammock. Go here to learn more about Hennesy hammocks>>>>> http://hennessyhammock.com/

Hennessy and similar hammocks are nice for warm weather camping in areas where trees are plentiful. I don't think I'd consider one some place where trees aren't always plentiful.

Hammocks tend to be cold, so they are only for warm or cool weather. If it's somewhere that the temps drop into the 30's and below then I wouldn't use one. I know there are some setups that allow for cold weather camping in hammocks, but once you add the weight of these things, you aren't saving anything weight or space wise in your pack.

There are many light solo shelters available. Check out the NorthFace Backpack bivy, the Big Agnes Seedhouse, the MSR Hubba of if you are on a budget, the Eureka Solitare

the two reasons everyone keeps saying that these hammocks aren't good in cold weater is:

1. The cold comes up throught the bottom of the hammock really bad.

2. They come only with a mesh covering under the rainfly so the heat escapes through the mesh.

It's like sleeping in a tent that is only made of mesh, only worse because you've got the problem of the cold coming in through the bottom that is much worse than standard tents.

I've actually been fairly successful in solving these problems.

1. You've got to have good insulation under your sleeping bag.

I've used an insulated pad under my bag, but had the added problem of it not staying under my bag throughout the night. I used a very lightweight bag, that is made for hot summer nights, and put my regular sleeping bag inside that and put the pad between the two. Held in place fast.

2. I sew and repair outdoor gear, so I was able to easily add a nylon layer to the top of the mesh fabric that velcro's on. Works fantastic. Holds the heat in well.

With this new "skin" on the hammock and the pad underneath, I have been very warm in very cold situations.

I have not posted here for a wile, been off doing other things more than caching lately. :lol: But this summer I came across somebody talking about the comfort of sleeping in a hammock and they recommended to check out Hammock Forums. So I have been spending a lot of time over there learning all about how to use a hammock for camping. There is a tone to learn about all the differences. I started with a Hennessy this summer and quickly found I did not like it one bit. But one of the vendors over at HF makes just about the sweetest hammock ever made for camping. And with some knowledge to back you up sleeping in a hammock is far more comfortable and lighter than a ground system. And warmer too. I actually started a small business a couple months ago making some accessories and gear for camping and hammocks. And for the first time in years I can wake up totally refreshed, with no aches and pains, no sore shoulders, sleep for 8 hours strait like I were in a coma. My pack weighs less than ever (about 15 pounds for weekend trips - full weight) Don't diss it if you don't have the full picture. Their are lots of us hangers that have camped in temps that would blow you mind and there are ways of staying perfectly warm, one guy has had his hammock to -26 in the Minnesota winter.

Their is a lot that goes into making a hammock system work and it takes time to learn how to make it work for you. But I can have my hammock and tarp set up and ready to relax in within 2-3 minutes. And as to the OP's question yes a hammock can be used effectively on the ground like a bivy (the hennessy is the worst one to do it with, but doable) but that is last resort for most of us hangers. But that's JMO

Paul

agreed with the last two posters... ive been to an easy 10*f with out Any problems...using a 20* bag only as a blanket.... HF is a great source of info... if you do it right it'll weigh less and keep ya just as warm as a tent FOR SURE.. just test it out and get some underpad for drafts and such....

-26?? PG+LT+WD+AD?? WhoooHooo!!!! Thats crazy!!! Good Job!!!

Fyi Ive had alot of luck expanding my hanging spots using my rock climbing gear.... Nuts and cams and ya can go from rock-to-rock or Tree-to-rock....

then again thats weight YOU might not want... personally ive always got my climbing gear...Never know when youll find a sweet route!!!

25lbs with full climbing gear, rope,nuts,cams,and all and 10 days worth of gear and food... just back from the high sierras a few days ago... :lol: