ngs>>gpx

flask

where can i get the datasheets in a format that will convert properly?

You can start here at the NGS site. Just click the DATAHEETS button and there will be various options for retrieving datasheets. The text result can be copied and pasted into notepad and saved as a .txt or .dat file. Then use that file with ngs>>gpx.

You can download datasheet files for a whole county here at Holoscene's site.

good luck and welcome to the forum

I start with http://benchmarks.scaredycatfilms.com/index.html to browse benchmarks in my area.

Build a list of PIDs that I would like to look for and [submit] the list, which returns a result at the http://www.ngs.noaa.gov website, then click [select All] followed by [Get Datasheets].

I save that result as a text file to my hard drive, run it through NGS>>GPX, then import the GPX into GSAK.

Edited by fegan

I start with http://benchmarks.scaredycatfilms.com/index.html to browse benchmarks in my area.

Build a list of PIDs that I would like to look for and [submit] the list, which returns a result at the http://www.ngs.noaa.gov website, then click [select All] followed by [Get Datasheets].

I save that result as a text file to my hard drive, run it through NGS>>GPX, then import the GPX into GSAK.

That'll work! I download state-wide archives from the NGS's FTP and keep all states in seperate GSAK databases. :)

Unfortunately, unless somebody has another method, it looks like I'm back to processing in smaller quantities.

I downloaded the Florida archive and pre-processed with NGS>>GPX then attempted to load it into GSAK...Out Of Memory. :lol:

If I can ask (since I'm the author of the program) - which program gave you the error - GSAK or NGS>GPX? I'm working (slowly, especially now due to having to move) on v3, which will stop all the memory usage, but I thought it was a rare issue that ony I was coming up with.

Thanks!

Mike

I downloaded the Florida archive and pre-processed with NGS>>GPX then attempted to load it into GSAK...Out Of Memory. ;)

If I can ask (since I'm the author of the program) - which program gave you the error - GSAK or NGS>GPX? I'm working (slowly, especially now due to having to move) on v3, which will stop all the memory usage, but I thought it was a rare issue that ony I was coming up with.

Sorry 'bout that...I thought my reply was pretty clear that GSAK was the program that bombed.

I think there were 46,000+ benchmarks in the output from NGS>>GPX. Since I know people have GSAK databases with over 100,000 records I wasn't expecting an error. I don't really need the entire state...just figured it would be easier than loading them a few at a time by browsing then at http://benchmarks.scaredycatfilms.com and generating a list of datasheets to download.

I have tried downloading an archive for my county from the NGS website, but it always says no archive is available for Volusia county Florida...not sure why. So I figured I would move up to downloading the entire state. Perhaps if they had an FTP for county, rather than state?

I might try again...perhaps if I started from a clean boot and fresh load of GSAK. I know GSAK has issue with IE not releasing memory and if I scroll through a lot of caches it will bomb unexpectedly. So, starting off a fresh re-start of my system...and using a split screen mode that doesn't use IE (or simply turing the split off)...could allow me to load the entire state.

Thanks for your help!

P.S. was going to try again but that FTP site doesn't seem to be working right now.

Unfortunately, unless somebody has another method, it looks like I'm back to processing in smaller quantities.

I downloaded the Florida archive and pre-processed with NGS>>GPX then attempted to load it into GSAK...Out Of Memory. :lol:

Thanks!

Mike

Downloaded the archive and ran it through NGS>>GPX...on a clean start of GSAK was able to get the entire state of Florida to load (46,764 stations).

Thanks again!

Downloaded the archive and ran it through NGS>>GPX...on a clean start of GSAK was able to get the entire state of Florida to load (46,764 stations).

Thanks again!

Cool, good to hear.

I believe the state of Cali has the most stations, and on a system with under a gig of memory, my program NGS»GPX will suck up everything it can and possibly crash on that state. I believe Florida's the next largest and that will bog the program down.

The next version will use a temporary RDB to store the working fine on disk, instead of in memory. This means a slightly longer processing time, but less system overhead.