Managing waypoints

kimgh

I'm using a Garmin GPSmap 60CS as my primary GPSr. I use MacIntosh computers at home, and I have GPSBabel+ and a few other relevant utilities.

I've found by experimentation that the 60CS will hold about 524 waypoints. There is nothing in the manual that says what this max number actually is, and, as far as I can tell, no way to get the GPSr to tell me how many I have directly; I have to download the whole set and use some Unix tools to "count" them.

All that is preparatory but incidental. The problem is this: I currently have my waypoint memory filled with waypoints from three different geographical areas: my home area in San Jose, the Kirkland and Tacoma area of WA (which I visit 2 or 3 times a year), and the Nampa, Idaho region, which I visit about once a year.

It's clear that I need to clear out the non-home areas for most of the time and only upload them when I'm going to be there.

However, the problem is: how to do that efficiently? I usually maintain waypoint files in GPX format, which is great for holding all the data, including even descriptions of the caches. But it's really difficult to edit and (in particular) to sort by latitude. So: is there a better format for that purpose (that preserves the names and all the data that the 60CS will hold. It doesn't need the description info, since the 60CS won't store that data).

I'm sure some of you have solved a similar problem before, so I'm looking to get ideas from all of you. I'm not unable to write Perl scripts to manage things, but I hope there is a simpler way and a simpler format to use than GPX for this purpose. Or even a utility I haven't encountered yet!

Hmmm, on reflection, it occurs to me that judicious use of Pocket Queries would probably make this problem go away altogether. Is that what you all do?

Thanks for your suggestions...

By using GSAK you can form data bases for each of your caching areas and you can keep them updated with Pocket Querys......If I'm caching in area "C", I only load area "c" in my 60CSx from my area c data base. By having ny data bases with all the gpx files I want, if I desire i can delete unwanted waypoints from my 60csx. Then load my 60csx with up to 999 waypoints for area "a" so on and so on..... GSAK, CacheMate, Pocket Queries are great caching programs and makes caching a fun trip.....

I found (also though trial and error) that my GPS holds 1000 caches.

I know a lot of people are going to recommend fancy tools (like GSAK) but mostly I just design my PQs around my needs and just load a new set each time I'm caching in a different area or when my data gets stale. So far adding another layer of complexity on top of that just hasn't been worthwhile to me.

My usual work-flow is...

* Decide where (I/we) are going to cache at.

* Set up PQs to grab ~900 caches

* Wipe the memory of my GPSr

* Load PQs into GPSr's software

* Load from the GPSr's software into the GPSr

* Go Geocache

* Use my blackberry's software if I wander outside of my PQ's area.

GPS will hold 1,000 caches.

Will hold more (I think*) as POI. These need to be loaded as POI with Garmin POI loader. They also need to be removed with the same POI loader.

I think the POI loader works on a Mac (Download from Garmin website)

Not sure what apps are needed to get the cache info into a format POI loader will accept. (I'm Mac, but have a windozy to run GSAK. GSAK sorts it for me!)

* Certainly holds 1,000 POI (Points Of Interest)

Will take 1,000 caches AND 1,000 POI

added.

Take a look at MacCaching linky

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I'm using a Garmin GPSmap 60CS as my primary GPSr. I use MacIntosh computers at home, ...snipped for brevity ...

Or you could do it the easy way with Mapsource, since it runs on Macs (so I hear). Open it up and download all waypoints from your GPS. Use the selection tool to drag a box around each group of waypoints. Select cut, then open another iteration of Mapsource, and paste the waypoints there. Save the second file with an appropriate name (Tacoma, Home, etc). Repeat until you have everything saved into appropriate files. Then you can erase all from your GPS and load those you need at the time. Also, once you have everything in its own file, saved as GPX, you can run POI Loader as suggested and the waypoints will be in their own database.

BTW, the 60 should hold 1,000 waypoints. Are you sure yours is only holding 524??

I'm using a Garmin GPSmap 60CS as my primary GPSr. I use MacIntosh computers at home, ...snipped for brevity ...

Or you could do it the easy way with Mapsource, since it runs on Macs (so I hear). Open it up and download all waypoints from your GPS. Use the selection tool to drag a box around each group of waypoints. Select cut, then open another iteration of Mapsource, and paste the waypoints there. Save the second file with an appropriate name (Tacoma, Home, etc). Repeat until you have everything saved into appropriate files. Then you can erase all from your GPS and load those you need at the time. Also, once you have everything in its own file, saved as GPX, you can run POI Loader as suggested and the waypoints will be in their own database.

BTW, the 60 should hold 1,000 waypoints. Are you sure yours is only holding 524??

It currently has 800 in it, so I stand corrected on the limit. I must have misapprehended the results of my testing!

I love the POI hack! I think MapSource is now available for Macs (Garmin told me it was coming 3 years ago at MacWorld; the fact they were exhibiting there at all was encouraging...). But trying to find it on the Garmin website seems difficult if not futile. At least last time I looked.. I should try again. That POI hack might be pretty useful...

It currently has 800 in it, so I stand corrected on the limit. I must have misapprehended the results of my testing!

I love the POI hack! I think MapSource is now available for Macs (Garmin told me it was coming 3 years ago at MacWorld; the fact they were exhibiting there at all was encouraging...). But trying to find it on the Garmin website seems difficult if not futile. At least last time I looked.. I should try again. That POI hack might be pretty useful...

Don't mix up/confuse Waypoints and Caches.

1 cache could have 1, 2, 3, or more waypoints.

eg.

waypoint 1 is the final coordinates.

waypoint 2 parking co-ords

waypoint 3 trailhead etc.

And if it's a 10 stage multi with a waypoint for each stage, parking, alternative parking, trailhead, etc...! :laughing:

1,000 waypoints does not mean 1,000 caches loaded.

Edited by Bear and Ragged

I think MapSource is now available for Macs (Garmin told me it was coming 3 years ago at MacWorld; the fact they were exhibiting there at all was encouraging...). But trying to find it on the Garmin website seems difficult if not futile. At least last time I looked.. I should try again. That POI hack might be pretty useful...

Two recommendations to try:

this: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-...-with-your-gps/

or this: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3825

I have been using easygps to export my tracks and waypoints, and saving them. I have a "master" file that I use to back up all by files, then I have subfiles so when I want to print out a map based just on those tracks and waypoints, I can.

This is useful for me because I have detailed maps for me and mine, and I can get rid of the hotspots and tralis I've discoverd to I can make general maps for other hunters, ones with just the major roads and trails, so we all know where we are.

I'm always looking for other ways so I'm watching this thread. :laughing: