Found cache, signed log. was this wrong?

Okiebryan

Last night my GF and I went to the State Fair. We were admiring the various exhibits entered by kids from around the state, when some camo tape caught my eye. HEY! That looks like a cache! Sure enough there were a few kids who had entered cache containers and a short explanation of geocaching into the fair.

While nobody was around, I opened up a lock and lock, grabbed the logbook, and quickly signed the log. Then I put it all back just as I had found it. Since it's the opening day of the fair, I wonder if any other cachers will find it and sign the log before the fair is over?

I guess the better question is, will the kid who entered this find the signature funny, or did I just vandalize their project? I hope not. It's not like there's anything I can do about it now. It seemed like a great idea at the time, and if I hadn't done it, I'd be sitting here now wishing that I had. B);)B)

Last night my GF and I went to the State Fair. We were admiring the various exhibits entered by kids from around the state, when some camo tape caught my eye. HEY! That looks like a cache! Sure enough there were a few kids who had entered cache containers and a short explanation of geocaching into the fair.

While nobody was around, I opened up a lock and lock, grabbed the logbook, and quickly signed the log. Then I put it all back just as I had found it. Since it's the opening day of the fair, I wonder if any other cachers will find it and sign the log before the fair is over?

I guess the better question is, will the kid who entered this find the signature funny, or did I just vandalize their project? I hope not. It's not like there's anything I can do about it now. It seemed like a great idea at the time, and if I hadn't done it, I'd be sitting here now wishing that I had. B);)B)

I think the added signature will be a benefit in his project. It was a geocache and someone found it, signed the log and returned it to it's spot. How could that be wrong?

I think the added signature will be a benefit in his project. It was a geocache and someone found it, signed the log and returned it to it's spot. How could that be wrong?

Until... in a few weeks time, someone posts a thread on the forum "Log signed on unpublished cache!". Outraged that they went to get FTF and discovered someone had logged it OMGZ!!?!?B)!!?! before it was published!

Until... in a few weeks time, someone posts a thread on the forum "Log signed on unpublished cache!". Outraged that they went to get FTF and discovered someone had logged it OMGZ!!?!?;)!!?! before it was published!

That's ok... I'm already known as a bit of a FTF Whore in my local area, anyway. I even have "FTF" on the license plate of my motorcycle... B)

OMGZ!!?!?B)!!?!
Too funny. I don't know how people who live like that function. Edited by Okiebryan

Yes, it was wrong. :D

Please stay out of the school supply section of your local stores.

Your lack of willpower may cause you to log ALL those logbooks too. :laughing:

Now, that's funny.

First thought No, I would not have done that, it's someone's display, after all.

Second thought - Why not? It's a cache with a logbook, and right there in front of me, after all.

about 48% on either side, with 4 percent pondering.

Please stay out of the school supply section of your local stores.

Your lack of willpower may cause you to log ALL those logbooks too. :laughing:

Now, that's funny.

First thought No, I would not have done that, it's someone's display, after all.

Second thought - Why not? It's a cache with a logbook, and right there in front of me, after all.

about 48% on either side, with 4 percent pondering.

Something called respect and self-control.

While nobody was around, I opened up a lock and lock, grabbed the logbook, and quickly signed the log. Then I put it all back just as I had found it.

Did you write FTF! in the log?

(I think the cache owner will think it's funny and be happy another cacher spotted his cache.)

Of course I claimed FTF! Wrote that I found ti at the state fair, and thanked them for the cache. :laughing:

While nobody was around, I opened up a lock and lock, grabbed the logbook, and quickly signed the log. Then I put it all back just as I had found it....

Personally I think this is one of those serendipitous moments that are far too rare in life. You seized it. Well done.

Now go log an event cache to claim your find and post if that was ok and start another debate. :D

I guess the better question is, will the kid who entered this find the signature funny, or did I just vandalize their project?

I don't know. That's up to him. Myself, I wouldn't have presumed it was okay.

It's one thing to claim a find on a cache you've stumbled upon. Quite another to claim finds on caches that haven't been placed.

What's next, you're going to go hunt down Clan Riffster's truck and sign the yet-to-be-hidden caches in the bed? :D

What's next, you're going to go hunt down Clan Riffster's truck and sign the yet-to-be-hidden caches in the bed?
Been there, done that! :huh: Walking past the owner's jeep at an event one time we spotted a few ammo cans in the back. Never did get the gc# to log them though.

Back OT-I think it was OK to sign the log on the display at the fair. I hope the owner of the display takes the gesture in the spirit in which it was done. After all, you signed the log, not the outside of the container. :blink: