"True" Paperless Caching

user13371

Every now and then, someone mentions one GPS or another as supporting "paperless caching" -- and someone else chimes in with "That's not TRUE paperless caching."

In the simplest form, "paperless caching" just means you have a way to carry all the cache information you need, without having to print it out. This is often done using a GPS to find the coordinates, in conjunction with a PDA (or even a netbook or laptop computer) to carry all of the other information. Many current GPSRs have geocaching features built-in to make it less necessary to carry around a PDA for this.

When someone speaks of "true" paperless caching, they usually mean a GPSR (by itself, without carrying a PDA into the field), that meets these criteria:

• Can display detailed maps, geocache waypoints, and extended information to include cache descriptions, hints, and logs.
  • Includes software to load cache inforamtion.
  • Is capable of displaying the information in a convenient way.
  • Has the ability to add/change geocache data in the field, such as modifying waypoint coordinates for multi & puzzle caches.

• Able to log caches as found/not found/etc and to enter field notes; and to upload these to GC.com.

As an aside, I'd really rather use a word like "complete" or "intergated" to describe such a system. Some geocaching setups (for example, carrying along a PDA) might be truly paperless but not as complete and integrated as the description above.

Does those criteria adequately and fairly describe a COMPLETE (ahem, "true") paperless caching system? Or are there other requirements?

---

edits: clarified logging and field note comments at snow-rules suggestion.

Edited by lee_rimar

Snow_rules: Fair enough -- I've gone back and modified the original post. It was part of what I meant about being able to add/change/modify, etc, but I broke it out as a seperate line item for you.

Did you mean actually post these logs to GC.COM from the field? Or just once you get back home and tethered to your computer?

Edited by lee_rimar

Snow_rules: Fair enough -- I've gone back and modified the original post. It was part of what I meant about being able to add/change/modify, etc, but I broke it out as a seperate line item for you.

Did you mean actually post these logs to GC.COM from the field? Or just once you get back home and tethered to your computer?

I would say either way, but if would have to be done with the same unit that you are caching with. So if caching with a GPS unit it would have to be tethered, but if with a phone type GPS you can do from the field.

How about a definition built around functional requirements as derived from a Concept of Operations?

1. Wipe device of all geocaching information,

2. Connect to PC or wireless service to download several dozen cache descriptions with all of the information with the exception of:

2a. The trackable, travel bug, geocoin inventory (to include this would result in a null list, AFAIK),

2b. Logged comments older than three months (or some reasonable, non-zero limit)

4. Leave with no paper whatsoever.

3. Starting with a random cache:

3a. Go into the field and work consecutively down the list for two dozen (roll back to the first if needed)

3b. Record results for each cache in the device including picking up anr/or dropping of trackables

4. Return with no paper

5. Connect to PC or wireless service to upload results

The number is totally arbitrary but should be set beyond what an average person should recollect.

I would concede allowing use of temporary paper notes for involved puzzle caches or those requiring some calculations as a matter of convenience.

I'm waiting for the next-and-final evolution of GPS gadgets that will allow not only paperless but computer-less Geocaching!

Running home to a PC/Mac to sync your day seems a normal thing to do today, but hopefully soon some company will make a GPS/smartphone type device that is as rugged as current outdoor GPSr's. No one makes one yet as far as I know, at least not at reasonable cost. And no I don't think "sticking a PDA into an OtterBox" is quite what I mean B)

Just think how GREAT this sport/hobby would be if you could go literally anywhere and Geocache! No pre-planning, no worrying that your pocket query data has gone stale.. just fun Caching! Get up-to-the-minute info on all nearest Caches whereever you are, find them, and log them instantly!

(editted) Your point 2a suggests you would exclude trackables, etc... from your downloaded items, but 3b has you recording actions on trackables. I'm confused.

I agree, I need to rework that, Lee.

AFAIK, there are none now that download the trackable inventory in the description.

Certainly, Cache Register does not pick it up from the PQs (I dont think that it is in the PQs).

Therefore, to insist on trackable inventory download, would exclude all units as there are none at this time which do that, again AFAIK.

So to define downloading of that trackable data would exclude all for a list of zero.

OTOH, if I leave off a trackable, I should not have to rely on memory for that 8 digit alphanemeric, somewhat random number.

Therefore, without paper, the device should accommodate that trackable ID number, if I drop several.

I realize that GC keeps my inventory, but if I have several, and some have screwed up my bugs due to not keeping adequate paper notes in the field. B)

But I managed to fix and reconstruct when another found them where they were not logged in but was conscious enought to notify me that he had them.

Interesting though, that in the dozens of posts talking of true paperless, including many of mine,

the handling of trackables has never come up.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa
...computer-less Geocaching... hopefully soon some company will make a GPS/smartphone type device that is as rugged as current outdoor GPSr's ... and no, I don't think "sticking a PDA into an OtterBox" is quite what I mean B)
Short of the ruggedness requirement, the iPhone comes closest to that now. Mainly because of the available s/w for it.

And I think that would a very reasonable add-on to the iPhone: Not necessarily an OtterBox or AquaPack, but a sled containing a battery, case seals, and a protective cover that would allow the touchscreen to still be used. There are a few part-way there offerings now but none quite put it all together. Take either of these and add a connector for a pair of AA batteries, and the iPhone would be much more field-usable:

- iPhone specific Waterproof Case

- DryCase (fits iPhone and other devices)

Might also need to a re-radiating antenna like Embra wears in his hat, too -- smartphones generally don't get the best reception.

Going forward, I expect future generation iPhones (or Android, PalmPre, Garmin nuviPhone, etc) will be built with a weatherized housing and a longer life battery.

Edited by lee_rimar
AFAIK, there are none now that download the trackable inventory in the description.
The Groundspeak iPhone app does download the trackable inventory, and lets you log finds/field notes/etc live from the field -- or store them on the phone for later upload.

BUT: There isn't a built-in function in the current version to log that you picked up or dropped a trackable. The only way to do that is to leave the Geocaching app, and log into the Groundspeak webpage. You can do that from the iPhone's web browser, but you shouldn't have to. Several iPhone app users have commented on this omission.

Edited by lee_rimar

John E., you wouldn't BELIEVE how long my original post was -- before I whittled it down. It was mostly a ranting screed about debasing the language.

"True" is a too slippery, multivalue wor for use in technical descriptions -- which is funny because its most literal form it simply means honest, not false.

And "paperless"? A GPS+PDA combination can skip printing as wel (but you carry two devices)l. Many Garmin device without specific geocaching functions can go paperless with the help of GSAK and other POI loaders (but the listings aren't as easy to read). And so on -- none of these are "false" or "dishonest" paperless systems, they're just not as well integrated.

I'll stop (or at least pause) now before I end up reproducing the entire original rant...

Edited by lee_rimar

John E., you wouldn't BELIEVE how long my original post was -- before I whittled it down. It was mostly a ranting screed about debasing the language.

"True" is too slippery, multivalue for use in technical descriptions.

I think paperless in all its variations should be defined somehow for the benefit of newcomers for sure.I'm new and it took "alot" of reading before the fog of paperless "units" and paperless "systems"started to make sense.I know theres a learning curve regardless you cant get around that,I just think it would be a great resource for someone chomping at the bit to buy thier first gps only to have some regrets.Some may have devices already they can combine with unit "x" and be quite happy with a mid range unit etc etc.I say make it a sticky!

Well my personal understanding, "by definition" B)

"Paperless" geocaching is having the ability to avoid printing the cache page, so you can SEE the information that is on that page but without the need for paper. Obviously that means being able to see the description, hint, past logs, etc to aid your quest.

Recently a few GPSr manufacturers have raised the bar to add.....

..."Penless" geocaching ;) which incorporates all the features of paperless caching, and adds the ability to jot down (via the 'e-pen' lol) your geocache notes while out in the field

I think you need an acronym like PGCS for "portable GC system". Something better than that though.
Okay, let's try...

Integrated GeoCaching System? IGCS, IGS, ICS?

Doesn't mention "paperless," which is historically how these systems are thought of.

Integrated Paperless Caching System? IPCS?

No, too close to IPSC, a different kind of activity I'm also interested in. Maybe that's just me but I think too many folks would transpose the letters.

Hmmm....

Can anyone come up with a usable, evocative acronym not easily mistaken for something else?

Edited by lee_rimar

Well my personal understanding, "by definition" B)

"Paperless" geocaching is having the ability to avoid printing the cache page, so you can SEE the information that is on that page but without the need for paper. Obviously that means being able to see the description, hint, past logs, etc to aid your quest.

Recently a few GPSr manufacturers have raised the bar to add.....

..."Penless" geocaching ;) which incorporates all the features of paperless caching, and adds the ability to jot down (via the 'e-pen' lol) your geocache notes while out in the field

e-pen for notes...!Hey call me crazy but I like that idea!As long as it traces your writing unlike some of the early UPS delievery gadgets that you had to sign blindly...Ya! I like that! Anything that cuts down on scrolling and clicking with these units.touchscreens help...but that would be quick and dirty for sure,but I think it brings us back to some of the above posts,you cant upload that kind of note and that brings the PC back in the loop.

OK, how about this for future geocaching tech: all caches have barcodes and all receivers have built in scanners. Better yet: RFID tags. Just wave the GPSr near the container and you're good to go. Of course you wouldn't even need a traditional container anymore, just hang a tag on a tree in the woods. Who needs a pen? Heck, in the future we won't need to even bother going into the woods. We'll just send our robot drones out to find caches for us. Now I've gone down a dark path haven't I.

Edited by Pax42

Just think how GREAT this sport/hobby would be if you could go literally anywhere and Geocache! No pre-planning, no worrying that your pocket query data has gone stale.. just fun Caching! Get up-to-the-minute info on all nearest Caches whereever you are, find them, and log them instantly!

And then loose the thing in the heather, or drop it in a stream, or leave it at the top of the last hill. :laughing:

Well I'm a pretty simple person and to me the answer really is simple. Paperless caching is the ability to go geocaching without printing off papers or writing out information to take with you. I know some say it has to be one unit doing it all and numerous other "requirements", but at the end of the day if your system, whether it be one piece of hardware or multiple pieces of hardware, allows you to go caching without written notes or printed pages then you are paperless caching. It's caching without papers, sorry but it just seems obvious to me and I don't see where it needs to mean anything other than what it obviously means. Yes, to me some forms of paperless caching are superior to others, but just because your particular paperless caching hardware isn't my preference doesn't diminish that it allows you to cache without hauling along papers which to me seems to be paperless caching. Ok, I'll shut up and let you folks hash out the details. Have a good day everybody! :laughing:

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

Well I'm a pretty simple person and to me the answer really is simple. Paperless caching is the ability to go geocaching without printing off papers or writing out information to take with you. I know some say it has to be one unit doing it all and numerous other "requirements", but at the end of the day if your system, whether it be one piece of hardware or multiple pieces of hardware, allows you to go caching without written notes or printed pages then you are paperless caching. It's caching without papers, sorry but it just seems obvious to me and I don't see where it needs to mean anything other than what it obviously means. Yes, to me some forms of paperless caching are superior to others, but just because your particular paperless caching hardware isn't my preference doesn't diminish that it allows you to cache without hauling along papers which to me seems to be paperless caching. Ok, I'll shut up and let you folks hash out the details. Have a good day everybody! :laughing:

:laughing: All interesting!! after that will the GPSMAP 60csx I just bought allow me to download and view cache info such as difficult, terrain, description, hint, and maybe even log info as this info would be "Paperless" enough for me in a single unit

If so what steps are needed or should I take it back and purchase the oregon model?

ZGMahana, here are a couple of GSAK macros that might serve your needs:

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry81818

http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=...amp;#entry84484

These give "paperless" solutions, though not as neat/complete as you would get with a GPSR designed with these geocaching features built-in.

Edited by lee_rimar