New term: "Webwhacking"

DENelson83

I don't webwhack if I can avoid it but unfortunately, I can't seem to avoid it.

I sometimes use my flashlight to break spider webs in front of me whick leads to a really nice light show in the forest. If you see it the light really go nuts all of a sudden, that means I missed a web and caught it with my face.

Certain areas are more likely to be web infested. Central California seems to have those very large wolf spiders in the trees and bushes....I hate those. You get the web stuck all over yourself, and then have to figure out if the poor spider came along with the web.

There are some Southern California areas that have these strange wind blown spiders. You can be way out along a lake or stream with no bushes or trees around...and still get hit with a really thin wispy web. The spiders float on the web to get wind blown across very large areas.

Heck yeah I webwhack. You have to in the PNW. Especially around this time of year when the little vampires have bodies grown to the size of thimbles. I usually pick up the nearest stick before I get started on a trail and wave it around in front of me as I walk along. I am sure I look like an idiot, but I don't care. It beats getting a snoot full of web and worrying whether or not I have a spider in my hair or down my back.

Heck yeah I webwhack. You have to in the PNW. Especially around this time of year when the little vampires have bodies grown to the size of thimbles. I usually pick up the nearest stick before I get started on a trail and wave it around in front of me as I walk along. I am sure I look like an idiot, but I don't care. It beats getting a snoot full of web and worrying whether or not I have a spider in my hair or down my back.

That's exactly what I do except I use the hiking staff I bought for my geocaching adventures. My wife uses her hiking staff to beat the ground and scare away the snakes.

Hiking staffs - not just for helping you up and down the hills anymore! B)

"webwhacking" that brings up some sick images.

It also brings up images of cheating to get final coords.

When I'm using my VA08 (yeah I made it myself) 5 S-UB white T1-3/4 LEDs and 3 UB blue T1-3/4 LEDs. I do a great job of avoiding them.

It was the addition of the blue that increased the avoidance.

I don't know if it is refraction of fluorescing.

When I use the VA09 stealth 1 red T1-3/4 LED, I don't even bother to swat at my face, eventually it will make a mask.

I'd never heard it called "webwhacking" but I did know the guy at the front of a line of hikers is the "web master" 'cuz they clear out the webs for everyone following.

Unfortunately, since I stand at least a head above most others, I'm always my own web master.... B)

I'm in that boat as well -- I might as well lead on the trail, because even if the point man clears out a web, chances are there is a very large remnant I am going to come across. I can dance quite a jig, as it turns out.

Yes, I webwhack all the time. My most frequent Geocaching partner absolutely despises it. Actually I webwhack a lot walking up to suburban houses in the morning helping my daughter deliver a weekly paper route. Sometimes it's like every house. Too early for the homeowners to get up and walk through them themselves.

This is why I hike/cache with a ninja sword held in front of my face. Also reduces FTF competition.

Remind me to be careful when caching in Alabama...

Last week Devil Hunter and I were taking turns being the webwhacker, quite by accident. So I start to drive home and an hour into the drive, he starts wigging out, a large - and I mean large spider was crawling on his neck. I thought we were going to wreck.

LMAO the restof the way back.