TFTC and the grumpy log.

CapeDoc

So you do the cache and you have absolutely no idea why you are being taken to the utterly boring location. There is nothing of interest, the cache listing says nothing. (OK so the hide might be a bit cheeky...but still!)

Which camp do you fall into?:

;) The camp that gives the slap in the face log......"TFTC." (Or perhaps.... "Found it"). The logic here is: well if you place a dull cache, your punishment will be dull logs,

OR

:) The grumpy log camp. Here you make a comment "that the cache is terrible" and "what were they thinking?" Hopefully this comes out as constructive criticism, but not all of us have the literary gift of the gab to keep it gentle.

Which camp are you in?

(I find myself doing a little of both. The more grumpy I am on the day, the more likely I am to be in camp grumpy log.)

grumpy.jpg

A GRUMPY LOG

So you do the cache and you have absolutely no idea why you are being taken to the utterly boring location.
Well, uh... I guess I always cache under the assumption that the cache, and by extension its location, was my choice... So no, I've never been struck by the idea that I have no idea what I'm doing at a "boring" GZ. I choose my cache hunts carefully, however, and have a pretty good idea what to expect well before I leave the house; whether it be a quick one over my lunch hour at work, or a half-day on a weekend to do, say, an interesting Earth Cache or some such. I also typically appreciate that someone has placed the cache period, so no, I've never left a "grumpy" log entry. Sorry, I'm just not seeing where you're coming from on this. But maybe that's just me. I'm a pretty happy-go-lucky sort of guy.

I get grumpy logs. "I must say this is the worst cache ever"

I emailed them back. "That was perfectly worthless information. Why was it the worst cache ever? Put that in your log" (Turns out they didn't like the stinging nettle I warned them about in the cache description).

OTOH if I hate your cache I may log it TFTC or FI for Found It. Then again, maybe your cache is great but you were the one who wrote that first log I talked about. Then I may log FI, or a grumpy log about your lamp post.

It's hard to resist sometimes.

Edited by Renegade Knight

There have been times that I wanted to rant about a cache, but always think "maybe I missed the point of the cache", so I rather then tone down the log, and keep it civil.

My shortest log is "Great event" for the one of CrystalFairy's "Sp"ring Event". I can kick myself now for writing such a stupid short message on what turned out a great event. I have been tempted many times to go "fix" it, but am leaving it there as a reminder to myself to write something decent and proper, on all future logs.

I might also be, that it was that persons first "Lamp pole" cache, and he/she was excited to place one there. But it is your 50th micro/lamp pole cache find.

The way I see it. Some or for sure better then others, but all of them got me out of the house, and took me to a spot I most likely have never been before.

I normally just say TFTC

On my recent scottish trip with Bats, there were some pretty feeble ones, so I had to make some comments.

Here is my comment about a cache boasting of its view

"The view seemed to be mainly of the freeway though B)("

"we were hoping for more spectacular Scottish scenery than parking lots! TFTC"

"I am sure there are more scenic spots in Kilwinning than this"

Ooh check out Bats post for this one - "This would rate as in my top 5 least favorite caches i have done, really this is not what its about."

Well said Bats!

And I also was quite annnoyed by a local cache in the chrurch grounds right near the door entrance, and driveway, and fairly suspiciously hidden so you couldn't search without digging in the bushes, where anyone could surprise you at any time.

I posted 2 or 3 DNFs, asking if the church had given permission for this very suspicious hide. After no reply from the owner, I eventualy posted a should be archived, and was glad that it was!

It was a bit weird when I bumped into the cache owner a month later, while searching for one of his other caches he was checking on ;)

OK - I'll rise to this one

I have written what I thought was a polite grumpy log but then it is so polite the "doc" says it is not grumpy at all... A succession of short logs probably also does quite a good job of getting the message across without saying out loud. A Single short log might just be a cacher not inclined to log writing, but several of them might be making a suggestion.

I have sent (very polite) PM's on caches - I think that is better than saying too much via the logs or forums.

It is a fun free activity, and one does not want to discourage people or put them off.

So who can see the cache in the photo of the OP :laughing:

Probably both camps. However if it starts tending towards the grumpy log camp I take a deep breath and try to give some constructive criticism rather than just a grumpy log which wouldn't serve any value

I might also be, that it was that persons first "Lamp pole" cache, and he/she was excited to place one there. But it is your 50th micro/lamp pole cache find.

True.

I think that if you can make your grumpy log gentle, it hopefully will be construed as constructive criticism, and will do more for the game than a simple TFTC.

Maybe their next cache wont be a "Lamp pole" cache if a bit of criticism is given.

Do you also suffer from "Giving it back" TFTC's? You hide a cache that takes effort, cunning, research, capital input and lots of time. Most cachers take the time in their logs to acknowledge your efforts. There is always a cacher who only manages a "TFTC". Just like they have on all of your caches.

They then hide a good cache. Do you give the "TFTC" log back to them?

"I am sure there are more scenic spots in Kilwinning than this"

Ooh check out Bats post for this one - "This would rate as in my top 5 least favorite caches i have done, really this is not what its about."

Well said Bats!

Well it took me a short while to remember this cache, normally i would not such a harsh log but you had to do it to experience it. I try to write my logs with a view of conveying my journey and experience in finding the cache, not always possible but i try

Edited by batsgonemad and his squirrel