Questions about "Discovered" TBs

THE_Pondog

I noticed a cache online that had several TBs. In looking through them I noticed that people had just logged "Discovered" and left the TB in the cache. Can somebody explain this "Discovered" aspect of Geocaching to me? I'me relatively new and have discovered caches where there were several TBs. I took one TB to move it on, but left the others. I only logged the TB I moved and didn't consider the others. Should I have logged them as "Discovered"?

Thanks,

The_Pondog

Should? No, but you can. Some people like to say they are simply letting the bug owner know the bug is still in the cache, which in my opinion, is nothing but a big bunch of hooey.

The Discover option came about when coins came on the scene. People wanted to share their coins (and icon) at events and the only method to do this has to Grab the coin away from another and maybe drop it back into the event listing. Well the person who actually had the coin kept having it grabbed away from them as people caught up on their logging. Sometimes if the coin was really sitting in a cache it would have a hard time staying listed there as people yanked it away and didn’t Drop it back in.

So Groundspeak provided the Discover option so people didn’t have to move the coin around to get credit for seeing it. (And I can tell you that prior to this option I never really did see people posting notes letting bugs owners that the bug was still in the cache. Hmmmm, interesting.)

So now you have the option to Retrieve a traveler from a cache, Grab it away from another cacher, like for a hand-off, or Discover if you want the stat/icon but didn’t move the traveler yourself.

Should? No, but you can. Some people like to say they are simply letting the bug owner know the bug is still in the cache, which in my opinion, is nothing but a big bunch of hooey.

The Discover option came about when coins came on the scene. People wanted to share their coins (and icon) at events and the only method to do this has to Grab the coin away from another and maybe drop it back into the event listing. Well the person who actually had the coin kept having it grabbed away from them as people caught up on their logging. Sometimes if the coin was really sitting in a cache it would have a hard time staying listed there as people yanked it away and didn’t Drop it back in.

So Groundspeak provided the Discover option so people didn’t have to move the coin around to get credit for seeing it. (And I can tell you that prior to this option I never really did see people posting notes letting bugs owners that the bug was still in the cache. Hmmmm, interesting.)

So now you have the option to Retrieve a traveler from a cache, Grab it away from another cacher, like for a hand-off, or Discover if you want the stat/icon but didn’t move the traveler yourself.

Interesting. A paradox; do I log it so I can see how many different TB's I encounter through my caching career or do I not log it since I never really contributed to it's movement. I recently finished the Alabama County Cache Challenge (finding a cache in every county in Alabama). A week later I received an email from someone who had an Army geocoin in one of the cache's I visited. He was wondering if the coin was still there. Since I was pressed for time (33 counties in 2 days) the only thing I looked for in the cache was the log book. I didn't consider TBs. I did collect one down in southern Alabama which I brought home and deposited in a local TB hotel, but that was the extent of my TB adventures. I could see where logging TBs would have paid off in in this instance by letting the owner know. But this is the first time I've ever had someone question the TB status of a cache I've visited.

I prefer to only take credit for a bug I actually assisted. If someone wanted me to verify if a bug was still in a cache I would have checked and sent them an email, or maybe posted a Note on the bug/cache.

It certainly will assist the bug and cache owner if you can note when a bug is listed on the cache page but was not found in the cache container.

I "discovered" a bunch of bugs on time because I didn't know their missions and assumed that they were headed out of the country (near the airport). I've always felt that it's a way of helping a bug owner know their bug is still there (especially if it's been in a very long time - but you don't know that till you see the logs).

However, I found that it's a hard task to keep track of the tracking numbers and writing the individual logs that I don't think I'll do it again - actually, I haven't since.

I prefer to only take credit for a bug I actually assisted.

This is also how we feel & what we do.

The 'discovery' option would mean more time at a cache to write down the numbers... thus the possiblity of muggles seeing you the longer you are at the location. Probably some people like to do it just to add more numbers to their TB list, or icons in the case of GCs. Another personal preference.

The 'discovery' option would mean more time at a cache to write down the numbers... thus the possiblity of muggles seeing you the longer you are at the location. Probably some people like to do it just to add more numbers to their TB list, or icons in the case of GCs. Another personal preference.

A quick picture with the camera on my phone is all that I do.

Altho, I try to help out bugs, so I usually don't leave them in the cache.

A quick picture with the camera on my phone is all that I do.

Altho, I try to help out bugs, so I usually don't leave them in the cache.

Wow, never even thought of taking a picture.

Good idea... for those who want to 'discover' all the trackables they come across.

Still, only the ones we retrieve do we log.

Just had one of my bugs dropped into an event.

After 10 Discovers (and counting) I get this log:

Log Date: 9/19/2009

It's really a shame. There so many people on the event, but they just 'discover' the TB instead of taking it with them. This task is really not too difficult, so I hope I have helped to avoid some more these annoying logs.

My kinda cacher! :laughing:

Eh...

I don't see the harm in discovering something. Let's say that I know I won't be going back out for several weeks (or months?) Or I simply don't have space for a larger bug...

In those cases, I might discover the bug (and yes, I use the cameraphone method mentioned earlier). I figure that if the bug does go missing, it gives the owner a reference point for tracking down the TB. (Of course, he's going to contact me first... thinking that I should have logged a "retrieve" instead of a "discover").

I also like to watch bugs travel... and even if I don't pick a bug up, I'm interested to know its story, and might even come back later to see where it's gone.

But... should I see one of BD's bugs, I'll do my best not to "discover" it! :laughing:

Let's see if we can help BlueDeuce out. . .

There is no harm. While I prefer people to move bugs the only real complaint purpose I have about Discovering is.... to allow us to log those big vehicle travel bugs. They are so darn hard to move, let alone find a cache big enough to drop them off.

eh.....Sorry! Off to dinner with the wife.

More later. :laughing:

Edited by Knight-Errant

I like the "discovered" option, that way I know my trackable is still within the cache it's logged to.

I say that if I haven't heard from my bug for so long that I wonder if it's still there, it's about time for someone to pick up and move the freaking thing.

"This bug has been sitting in this cache for 14 months, I'm logging a Discover so that the owner will know it's still there."

What really happens is that your bug is logged on a fairly regular basis, but few have the guts to admit that: "I'm logging this bug for the stat".

Still looking for an older post where I said more of the same.

...that people can't simply admit they are logging the bug just to log it.

"I'm helping the owner" No, if there wasn't the Discover option you wouldn't have posted anything unless you moved it.

More seriously this time. . .

Do we log discoveries of travelers JUST for numbers? No, but we do admit that is AMONG the reasons we log discoveries.

In addition to the nearly dead horse of "I'm helping the owner," we like to keep a record of the travelers we encounter, so if and when we encounter them again we can verify that it is the same traveler. (Yes we have encountered several look-alike travelers.) This doesn't include the cases where we have actually moved the same travelers more then once.

Also, while a note log could serve the same purpose, our discovery notes often serve to let the owner know why we didn't move the traveler (for example, "going the opposite way of the traveler's goal", "traveler is in a race and we may not be able to drop it in as timely a maner as desired", etc.).

On a related note, we also try to post notes on the traveler's web page (not just the cache's) for travelers that are obviously no longer in the cache and don't seem to have been logged for some time after we have verified they are no longer in the cache.

One more reason for logging discoveries is the one alluded to in our previous post, some travelers simply CANNOT be moved in the normal fashion. For example, vehicles (we discovered a semi truck once), very unique travelers (the Groundspeak Signal HQ Geocoin, O.C.B. [the original can of beans], etc.), human travel bugs, travelers that specifically request a "discovery only", etc.

...that people can't simply admit they are logging the bug just to log it.

"I'm helping the owner" No, if there wasn't the Discover option you wouldn't have posted anything unless you moved it.

More seriously this time. . .

Do we log discoveries of travelers JUST for numbers? No, but we do admit that is AMONG the reasons we log discoveries.

In addition to the nearly dead horse of "I'm helping the owner," we like to keep a record of the travelers we encounter, so if and when we encounter them again we can verify that it is the same traveler. (Yes we have encountered several look-alike travelers.) This doesn't include the cases where we have actually moved the same travelers more then once.

Also, while a note log could serve the same purpose, our discovery notes often serve to let the owner know why we didn't move the traveler (for example, "going the opposite way of the traveler's goal", "traveler is in a race and we may not be able to drop it in as timely a maner as desired", etc.).

On a related note, we also try to post notes on the traveler's web page (not just the cache's) for travelers that are obviously no longer in the cache and don't seem to have been logged for some time after we have verified they are no longer in the cache.

One more reason for logging discoveries is the one alluded to in our previous post, some travelers simply CANNOT be moved in the normal fashion. For example, vehicles (we discovered a semi truck once), very unique travelers (the Groundspeak Signal HQ Geocoin, O.C.B. [the original can of beans], etc.), human travel bugs, travelers that specifically request a "discovery only", etc.

Very good. So you do understand that most of the time you are logging the bug for yourself, for whatever reason that might be.

Update: So far this weekend I've had 24 Discovers and 1 Retrieve on my Tractor TB. None of the 8 watchers have unsubscribed yet.

We have 'discovered' 1 vehicle TB & 1 patch on a hat TB yesterday.

Making a 'discovery' of these kinds of TBs (in my opinion) are obviously different than just your normal TB & GC... for the obvious reasons you stated above.

Making a 'discovery' of these kinds of TBs (in my opinion) are obviously different than just your normal TB & GC... for the obvious reasons you stated above.

I'm beginning to decide that car TBs are a waste of a good number. Discovering a cacher has nothing to do with Travel Bugs. It needs to be part of The Friends portion of a profile account. I won't even complain if you log a cacher you have never met.

Leave travel bugs out of the equation.

So what if you TB goes say 3 or 4 months with no activity, you don't want a discover to let you know it's still there if that person can't help with it's goal?

If a bug has been sitting in a cache for 3-4 months it is highly likely that moving the bug would help it, even if you can't directly assist its goal.

How many bugs have you Discovered that you could have assisted?

How many were sitting there longer than a month?

Edited by BlueDeuce

So what if you TB goes say 3 or 4 months with no activity, you don't want a discover to let you know it's still there if that person can't help with it's goal?

If a bug has been sitting in a cache for 3-4 months it is highly likely that moving the bug would help it, even if you can't directly assist its goal.

How many bugs have you Discovered that you could have assisted?

How many were sitting there longer than a month?

I don't know. I've actually discovered more missing bugs than found bugs. The last 3 caches I've been to that says there is a bug hasn't had it. It's getting pretty frustrating.

For a little history on "Discovering".

Early on, people would attend events and see TBs. Everyone wanted to take them, but only one could. So, everyone decided "Let's all just log it, and you take it!" Back then they had to retrieve it from the event, and log it back in. But there was no order, it was chaos, and people were taking the TBs from each other right and left, and the logging was getting all messed up, and TB's were ending up in logging limbo, and add to the mix that you get people who don't understand how to log, and all heck broke loose in the TB logging world. More bugs went missing, or were left in events, because of logging snafus. So the "Discover" option was added for the number hounds to log them even if they didn't take them, and it wouldn't "move" the bug to another location. The person, or cache, actually holding the TB still had possession online.

It was not added so people could log them from their armchairs virtually, and it was not added so people could pass out a list of tracking numbers to others. Those virtual loggings can get a TB locked.

For a little history on "Discovering".

Early on, people would attend events and see TBs. Everyone wanted to take them, but only one could. So, everyone decided "Let's all just log it, and you take it!" Back then they had to retrieve it from the event, and log it back in. But there was no order, it was chaos, and people were taking the TBs from each other right and left, and the logging was getting all messed up, and TB's were ending up in logging limbo, and add to the mix that you get people who don't understand how to log, and all heck broke loose in the TB logging world. More bugs went missing, or were left in events, because of logging snafus. So the "Discover" option was added for the number hounds to log them even if they didn't take them, and it wouldn't "move" the bug to another location. The person, or cache, actually holding the TB still had possession online.

It was not added so people could log them from their armchairs virtually, and it was not added so people could pass out a list of tracking numbers to others. Those virtual loggings can get a TB locked.

First of all, thanks for the history.

Second, would you differentiate between "passing out [just] a list of tracking numbers" at an event and a cacher with a nice set of geocoins in a display binder that provides a printed list of the geocoin tracking numbers, but only to those who actually check out their geocoins? (Thus providing an accurate list without each cacher having to remove each geocoin from their encasements.)

Second, would you differentiate between "passing out [just] a list of tracking numbers" at an event and a cacher with a nice set of geocoins in a display binder that provides a printed list of the geocoin tracking numbers, but only to those who actually check out their geocoins? (Thus providing an accurate list without each cacher having to remove each geocoin from their encasements.)

This is my take on the situation. Events usually involve people sharing their geocoins and yes some of those people hand out a list of tracking numbers. It would be fairly difficult for gc.com to determine that the list was not presented along with a binder of geocoins or that the finder had actually flipped through pages.

If that list is being used in a situation where people could not have seen/touched/smelled the coin, you'll start seeing some guideline reminders.

I move TBs I can help or shuffle within a reasonable amount of time and discover others so that I can remember them and see where they travel in the future. The timing for moving a TB does not always match up with my short-term travel and caching schedule. But if I am heading to Las Vegas a couple of months later, I will remember that discovered traveler from the event wanting to go to Utah, for example. A quick check in my records will show if it is still local and in a cache where I could pick it up for a hop in the correct direction.

The watch list is used for ones that seem to be stalling in caches (yes, I revisit caches just to get them unstuck whether I have already moved it or not). Or to watch travelers that may be helped when I am more actively caching or during future business trips, but would only languish in my pack should I get them too far ahead of time.

Are my photos of TBs on an event table exciting for an owner? No, probably not. But photos, (even dull ones), occasionally spur other cachers to also add photos. And they help me remember what the traveler looks like and when and where we crossed pathes. I would love to meet up again with any of the TBs or GCs I have discovered or moved previously; in fact I have gone out of my way to attempt reunions.

It saddens me when discovers are assumed to just be tick marks, but I am not going to let it ruin my fun. The truth is likely few cachers use discovers the way I do. With all the dangers travelers encounter out in the wild, discovers for numbers doesn't register a blip on my fret meter.

This thread has been both amusing and enlightening.

I log discovers/not founds on travelers, both coins and bugs, as there are far too many of them going missing in this area. Case in point, I dropped a coin last night into one of my own caches... this morning it is gone and not logged out, no log entry for the cache either... my money says it is never getting logged. I now log every traveler I see. Sometimes I'll move them, sometimes I won't, but it leaves a current record of when/where the traveler was last seen/disappeared so the owner can do whatever they will. I have so far received either silence or thanks/info requests from the owners. Yep, logging "discovers" helps.

I have never attended an event. Stats? Is there a prize or something? Maybe a merit badge or goofy hat? Or is it just for bragging rights? I couldn't help but laugh as I imagined a mob of cachers trying to log a pile of coins/bugs at an event -- and bickering over who had "actually" discovered it first.

Just not my cup-o-tea. I'm in it for the hunt, the creative and evil hides, the adventure of finding new places, the outdoor fun and exercise, and I also log my DNF's cuz, yep, they help too.

Happy Hunting!

Edited by Wood_Rat

I just placed a newly activated TB into a cache I hid and before the cache was even published, I got a message saying someone had "discovered" the TB. How is that possible? And the cacher is in a state 1000 miles away. I wrote to the cacher, but have not received a reply.

Is there a way for people to search for recently activated TBs and then add them to one of their lists just for bigger numbers? What's the point of "discovering" a TB that is not even available to be "grabbed" yet? I don't get it.

Thanks for any clarification you can provide.

-damitro-

I just placed a newly activated TB into a cache I hid and before the cache was even published, I got a message saying someone had "discovered" the TB. How is that possible? And the cacher is in a state 1000 miles away. I wrote to the cacher, but have not received a reply.

Is there a way for people to search for recently activated TBs and then add them to one of their lists just for bigger numbers? What's the point of "discovering" a TB that is not even available to be "grabbed" yet? I don't get it.

-damitro-

Your bug has the tracking number showing in the photo. There are people who comb through photos and log any tracking number they find. If they start sharing the number with others gc.com could end up permanently locking your bug down.

So far you're lucky, some people have had their bugs virtually Grabbed away and dropped into caches on the other side of the planet.

You can use microsoft paint to smudge the number out of the photo. Then I would delete the Discover log.

Never post the tracking number anywhere online or show it in a photo.

-damitro-

Your bug has the tracking number showing in the photo. There are people who comb through photos and log any tracking number they find. If they start sharing the number with others gc.com could end up permanently locking your bug down.

So far you're lucky, some people have had their bugs virtually Grabbed away and dropped into caches on the other side of the planet.

You can use microsoft paint to smudge the number out of the photo. Then I would delete the Discover log.

Never post the tracking number anywhere online or show it in a photo.

Thank you for the enlightening information. I will "smudge" the tracking number directly and learn for the experience.

An example of a "helpful" use of the discovered log...

I was pleased to receive a discovered log on this TB a couple of days ago. It has been sitting in a Singapore cache since mid December and I was feeling a bit concerned for its welfare but at least I now know that it is still there. You could argue that it would have been far better if the cachers had picked it up and moved it along, but as it has a fairly specific mission I can only guess that they felt they would be taking 'in the wrong direction' if they'd taken it with them.

Postcard from the Kruger National Park TB.

MrsB :D

I don't know. I've actually discovered more missing bugs than found bugs. The last 3 caches I've been to that says there is a bug hasn't had it. It's getting pretty frustrating.

Thank you for mentioning it on the bug page.

Is that the proper procedure for an already taken bug? I went to a cache today, which took me a good long time to find, specifically because it had a travel bug in it. However, the person who was there before me said in the cache log that they took it but they didn't log it on the bug's own page. This made it look like it was still there, which is what the cache page still says.

So should I contact the bug owner, or should I enter a log on the bug page, or do something else? I guess the closest choice would be "Write Note", but I'm not sure if that's the right way to go about it.

Conversely, for a newbie it's not clear how to log this. I've ended up logging bugs three times. On my iPhone when I find the cache I log it, then when I get home I go back and add a note about taking out the bug and I also log it on the bug page. Then I did the same thing when putting the bug into the next cache. This seemed a little excessive, though, but wasn't sure how to handle it.

This might be a couple of good q&a's to put in the FAQ page as that's where I first looked to find out what to do.

Thanks,

Seth

PS The bug is Roadrunner (TB2ADMJ) and the cache is Cinema Cache (GC1WAQY)

For one thing, if the TB isn't there you cannot "discover" it. Likewise if it isn't there you don't have the tracking number to perform any other type of log with it.

You did the proper thing with posting a "note" saying that the TB is not there. It really should be left to the TB owner, or possibly the CO to contact the cacher that last retrieved the TB re: logging.

EDIT: You are correct in logging a traveler. Retrieving a traveler from a cache is a two-step process. One log for the cache, another separate log for the traveler. Logging a drop however, is a single-step process before you exit the cache log.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee

Will i have like a few other cachers just had a tattoo done so that I can be discovered as I have a travel bug and a ref no on my arm.

Though this could be an interesting thing to do as when at events people need to find me in amongst all the other cachers, then hopefully get a pic of them meeting - or discovering me