Navigation Charts for Lake Powell

pratzert

I am planning to rent a houseboat and cruise Lake Powell for about 3 days.

I have a 76CSx.

Problem is... I can't seem to locate any specific water navigation charts proper for Lake Powell.

I can't really tell if the Garmin Bluecharts Inland Lakes have any worthwhile chart for Lake Powell or not and I don't want to plop down good money for something that is useless for Lake Powell.

Does anyone have any experience with charts for Lake Powell ?

Thanks.

A little Google will take you a long way, ya know. Start here. ;)

http://www.wayneswords.com/gpsinfo.htm

1 Lake Powell GPS Maps

In 2008, Navionics has released two new GPS maps of Lake Powell.

The most exciting is a new high-definition GPS map of Lake Powell. This new map has contours at 10-20’ intervals. This is a huge increase in detail over previous GPS contour maps of Lake Powell. In addition it shows the correct location of each of the channel buoys, the location of the new Bullfrog Bay buoys, and location of many more on-the-lake objects including each of the light buoys surrounding all of the houseboat fields.

The other new Lake Powell GPS map includes 3-Dimensional bathymetric views, aerial photography, panoramic photos, port information and pilot books.

The Garmin, Lowrance, and C-Map Lake Powell GPS maps are based on the same data – USGS 7.5 minute 1:24000 topo maps. Unfortunately this topo map only has contours at 80’ spacing. The bottom contours for all of the maps are at elevations of 3700’, 3680’, 3600’, 3520’, 3440’, 3360’, 3280’, and 3200’. The maps typically label these contours as the depth below 3700’ elevation, which is the Lake Powell full level – the labels are 20’, 100’, 180’, 260’, 340’, 420’, and 500’.

A little Google will take you a long way, ya know. Start here. B)

http://www.wayneswords.com/gpsinfo.htm

1 Lake Powell GPS Maps

In 2008, Navionics has released two new GPS maps of Lake Powell.

Hi Scott.

Ya... I did a google search.... several times... and did run across that web site which got me to look into the Navionics charts.

Problem is.... although the Navionics look like they are really good and very detailed and exactly what I am looking for.... they are not compatible with the Garmin units.

I'd be happy as a clam if I could find something comparable to those Navionics charts.

The GPSFILEDEPOT stuff is OK.... but still more akin to TOPO and not so much for Water navigation. I prefer something that has the markers and marine points noted.

Oddly... I have the old Garmin Bluecharts "Fishing HotSpots" and it shows markers on it and POI's on the water... but the Old Garmin "Inland Lakes" I have does not show any of them.

I may have to buy the latest inland lakes from Garmin... but I still would not be real happy with the level of detail compared to their regular Bluecharts.

Edited by pratzert

I'd take Splashy's advice and checkout GPSfiledepot.com. Everything there is free and lots of people highly recommend it. I know they have topo maps for Arizona and I bet it just might have water/lake data, too. Can't hurt to check it out. Price is right!

I did take a look at GPSFILEDEPOT too and I don't see anything that is as detailed as regular charts.

It is geared toward TOPO.... I actually have the Garmin TOPO 2008 and it's about the same.

If it is about the depth, I won't worry to much, the houseboats have about 3 feet of depth and you will find a place selling paper waterwaymaps if you really want.

I'm not sure about lake Powell, but on Lake Meat a depth map is useless, because of variable waterheight.

So I stiil think a Topo is more usefull.

If it is about the depth, I won't worry to much, the houseboats have about 3 feet of depth and you will find a place selling paper waterwaymaps if you really want.

I'm not sure about lake Powell, but on Lake Meat a depth map is useless, because of variable waterheight.

So true with the droughts. I remember the lake and seeing boats dry grounded because the water level was so low. Now, is Lake Meat rare or medium well these days? B)

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=208...mp;locale=en_EN

Garmin Inland Lakes-- West... That is the official Garmin product, I have it in my Oregon 550 and it has good coverage for Lake Powell as far as water depths. Should work for your 76CSx just fine, if you buy the card you should be able to transfer it between other Garmin compatible units.

Ya... I guess that may be what I have to do. Does that one show the markers too ?

And What is the difference between the cartridge(mem stick) that has the 3-4 separate regions -vs- the one DVD that has the entire US ?

They are about the same price but the DVD would be usable with MapSource.

It's about the depth but more importantly it's about the marker's and any other specific "water" features.

So true with the droughts. I remember the lake and seeing boats dry grounded because the water level was so low. Now, is Lake Meat rare or medium well these days? B)

I know Lake Powell was down a couple of years ago by something like 37 feet or so.

From what I've read lately, it's come back up a good bit because of a big winter snow pack melt.

There is one of the "cuts" on the waterway that had been closed for 4-5 years due to low water that is now open and saves about 12 miles in transit since you can use it now.

But the levels are still down so much that a several Marinas and ramps are still closed.

I know Lake Powell was down a couple of years ago by something like 37 feet or so.

From what I've read lately, it's come back up a good bit because of a big winter snow pack melt.

There is one of the "cuts" on the waterway that had been closed for 4-5 years due to low water that is now open and saves about 12 miles in transit since you can use it now.

But the levels are still down so much that a several Marinas and ramps are still closed.

"Lake Powell is 63.78 feet below Full Pool (Elevation 3,700)

By content, Lake Powell is 63.98% of Full Pool (24,322,000 af) "

http://lakepowell.water-data.com/

If you take a laptop, you can connect your 76CSx to it an display your position on a USGS geo.pdf that has the data you want. have the 76CSx send NMEA data to the computer. Might be fine for your use on a houseboat. Looks like this

9faf2c75-6170-4f8a-a21f-2df52176ef22.jpg

Edited by JDiablo

I just use TOPO maps when I go to Lake Powell. Over the various times I've been down there, the water level has varied by about 100 feet. Because of the level fluctuations, depth charts and such are pretty much useless, and you'll also find hazards aren't marked. I've trashed a couple props on days when the lake surface was rough, making it hard to see the color changes that indicate shallow water.

If you're traveling with a GPS, the channel mile markers etc aren't all that important. They're of great value if you're just using a map and compass though. You'll find the GPS works great for keeping you informed of where you are, and helping you find the places you're looking to explore. Keep an eye on your fuel, it's easy to get quite some distance from the pumps down there, and have a blast. It's a fantastically beautiful area.

If you take a laptop, you can connect your 76CSx to it an display your position on a USGS geo.pdf that has the data you want. have the 76CSx send NMEA data to the computer. Might be fine for your use on a houseboat. Looks like this

That graphic is exactly what I'm looking for.... no... it's BETTER than what I'm looking for.

So... where do I find that and load it onto my 76CSx and/or Oregon 400t ?

I just use TOPO maps when I go to Lake Powell. Over the various times I've been down there, the water level has varied by about 100 feet. Because of the level fluctuations, depth charts and such are pretty much useless, and you'll also find hazards aren't marked. I've trashed a couple props on days when the lake surface was rough, making it hard to see the color changes that indicate shallow water.

If you're traveling with a GPS, the channel mile markers etc aren't all that important. They're of great value if you're just using a map and compass though. You'll find the GPS works great for keeping you informed of where you are, and helping you find the places you're looking to explore. Keep an eye on your fuel, it's easy to get quite some distance from the pumps down there, and have a blast. It's a fantastically beautiful area.

Thanks for the info..... It looks like I may invest in the most up-to-date 24k maps from Garmin and anything else I can get my hands on.

We're going to book the houseboat for 3 days in the middle of FEBRUARY ! Ya... I know... C-O-L-D.

Looks like the average high temp in Feb. is 56 degrees. At least it is "Budget Season" and rates are lower.

It would be really nice to get the houseboat that has a hot tub on it... but there are only 4 of us and the "Luxery" houseboats are by the week only AND very expensive if you only have 4 people.

Our plan is to pick up in Wahweap and get to the Rainbow Bridge ASAP.... after that. just cruise and enjoy the sights.

That graphic is exactly what I'm looking for.... no... it's BETTER than what I'm looking for.

So... where do I find that and load it onto my 76CSx and/or Oregon 400t ?

You can get these free from the US Government. LINK Now the "usual suspects" will claim that they may have read somewhere that free maps will mess up your computer, GPS or the family car, but in truth they are paying to use the very same free maps.

I use this with my GPSMAP76CSx and it's serial cable just fine.

Is there a way to actually load these on to the 76CSx ?

Or do you have to keep it hooked up the the laptop ?

Thanks.

They are displayed on the laptop, in Adobe Acrobat with the TerraGo Desktop plugin. You send NMEA from the GPS and you get a crosshair at your location. Maybe you can use a Colorado in Spanner mode but I'm not sure.

The topo you're looking at can't currently be displayed on your 76 and has to be used in conjunction with a laptop. Unfortunately, the 24k type maps that can be loaded into don't show the elevation profile for below the surface of the water. Don't tell Roddy I said this, but the only easy way I know of to display a raster map like you're looking at on a handheld is if you use one of the Delorme units, with a subscription to download the raster maps.

As far as the Garmin 24k you mentioned buying, Garmins 24K topo is based on DEM data which doesn’t show contour lines for the area covered by water, so the map doesn’t show where the main channel is. The old 1:100k topo shows them, and that’s what I use when I’m down there, but they switched that to a DEM model as well, right after version 3 I believe it was, so I don’t know where you might find a version made from old scanned USGS maps. Since you are only going to be in the area for a short time, I’d just download one of the free 24k maps for Utah and Arizona (The free southwest TOPO has the best data for Lake Powell, and shows the channel with a line), or go with TOPO 2008 rather than buy the 24k, which is somewhat pricey in large part because of the street data which you don’t need. Garmin has some other maps available for lake use, but I haven't ever tried or used them.

Even though it will be on the cool side while you’re down there, I think you’ll love it. Some of the best scenery in the world, and unlike the summer months when boat swarm the lake like ants, you’ll probably find some quiet and solitude. Be advised, Rainbow bridge is about 50 miles or so from Wahweep, and those houseboats only putter along at between 5 to 10 mph so it will take you awhile to get there.

Another plus about your going in the off season is that entering the canyon where rainbow bridge is, it gets narrow, enough so only one boat at a time can go through in one spot. In the summer, you can have dozens of boats jockeying for position in there, many driven by people who’ve enjoyed an adult beverage or two too many. The boats end up kicking up quite the waves due to how the wakes bounce off the cliff walls. As a result, it can be somewhat uncomfortable to get through during peak summer times, especially if you happen to get a little wind involved as well.

A couple more pieces of advice would be to pick up one of the Lake Powell guide maps at the marina; you’ll find many points of interest on some of them. Also, be advised that while some of those big open areas of water can be quite scenic, when it comes time to camp, the wind can kick up fairly stiff in the evenings, which can result in some pretty big waves, so the smaller tighter areas tend to work out better to spend the night in.