What GPS should I buy? (tired old question, I know)

dglorioso

I apologize for asking this question for what is surely the millionth time in this forum. I read the FAQ, and surfed the forums, but I have too many answers that are sometimes contradictory. My head is going to 'splode. Any advice anyone can give would be much appreciated.

So... I'm a poor college kid, and so is my spouse. We just started Geocaching recently and we have been using an old Garmin Nuvi 200 which works well in urban settings and single cache runs, but due to battery limitations and poor accuracy, I'd never take it on a hike. The problem I've been having isn't the lack of available information on GPSrs, but rather I have a case of information overload. There seems to be a crap ton of GPS units on the market with hundreds of vague details that I don't understand as a noob to GPS games. (Im a map and compass ex-boy scout, electronic outdoor devices confound me.) I'm looking for 5 things in a GPS:

1. The device must connect to a PC through a USB cable and take Pocket Queries, whether automagically or through 3rd party software. Manual input is worthless to me as I never know where I'm going to be on a given day, and I'm too cheap/poor to drop a hundred bucks a month on an internet phone.

2. The device must be able to store data on at least 500 caches in an area. It doesn't have to have logs, but I'd like to know the size and difficulty and maybe a hint so I can skip carrying 10 pounds of wasted paper on a hiking trip.

3. The device must allow me to mark caches as found in some fashion, this is of vital importance because I visit local areas that have a cache every 10 inches and I don't want to hit the same one five times in a row.

4. The device must have at least 6 hours of battery life, but the more, the merrier.

5. Most importantly, the device must cost less than $150 (used or refurb is great). I figure that if a hobby costs more than I have in my bank account at any given time, I need a new hobby. (I'm just not ready to give this one up yet.)

That's all. I don't need a color screen, dots and arrows are fine. I don't need a compass, I have one already. I don't need a touch screen, a ruggedized shell, a topographical map, or 500ft water resistance. Those things are nice, but not necessary for my needs.

Anyone know of a GPSr that fits this criteria?

... Pocket Queries... load at least 500 caches ... must cost less than $150 (used or refurb is great)...
If you're really firm on those details, look for a used DeLorme PN-20 (or possibly keep an eye on WalMart, Amazon, etc for a sale). That's the only thing I can think of that's going to give you pocket queries conveniently loaded onto the device at that price point.

But I almost never recommend that model. While it looks similar to the PN-30 and PN-40, the -20 is an older design internally and is a MUCH slower, less accurate GPS. If you can drag yourself up to $200 or a bit more, a PN-30 (if you can find it on sale) would be a much better GPS for your money.

If you're really stuck at the $150 price point, you should also consider the Garmin Venture HC - easy to find for $130 new. But you'd have to give up a couple of things:

- Full paperless caching. You could still load Geocache waypoints from PQs, just not all of the associated info. You'd have to print the descriptions out, and that's sooo 20th century.

- Detailed street and topo maps in the box. It comes with a simple basemap and you can get free maps at gpsfiledepot -- or buy Garmin's maps later when you have more money.

In this price range, the Garmin is the better GPS overall, but DeLorme is a more complete "geocaching system."

Edited by lee_rimar

I use a Magellan Triton 400

1. I connects via USB and you just have to download, unzip and load the PQ into Magellans software. It will store 2,000 caches.

2. It's mostly paperless. It just doesn't give the size or logs.

3. There is no "Found" Icon, but you can change the icon to something else that you don't use. There are many different icons to choose from.

4. Battery lasts 8-10 hours.

5. It does cost $159, but the Triton 300 is under $150, it just doesn't have an SD card slot

Yea, unless you find a used one, I doubt you'll find a gps that meets all your criteria for less than $200 (at the very least)

Well, here is one and as Lee says in Post #2,

it meets the performance requirements listed as 1 - 4 and looks like less than $200:

http://cgi.ebay.com/DELORME-PN-20-REMAN-HH...d=p4295.c0.m299

Looks like $170 inc S&H and then another $10 for DeLorme's Cache Register widget to give him automated download and transfer to PN-20 of 500 cache PQs, and upload Field Notes for those marked as found.

Edited by Team CowboyPapa

You know dglorioso I'm going to go in a different direction with my recommendaton. There are 2 GPSr's that I really love. One is the PN-40 and that's a fair amount over your budget so instead I'll talk about my other favorite GPSr. It's called a Geomate Jr.. If you're interested in seeing what other Geomate Jr. owners are saying about their GPSr's you can CLICK HERE .

Let me give you a brief rundown of what it can do and then maybe that will help you decide whether you want to click the link above to see what others say about this awesome little caching machine! Basically it's a small GPSr that tells you where the 20 nearest caches are to you at any given time. Basically the main part is an arrow pointing which direction you need to go to find the cache and it also tells you the distance to the cache. Other info it will give you is:

The difficulty rating of the cache hide.

The difficulty rating for the terrain

What size the cache is.

HINTS ARE NOT AVAILABLE ON THIS GPSr

There are no maps at all on this unit just real old school follow the arrow to the cache location.

You are able to mark caches as found so that you don't repeat caches unless you choose to.

It gives you the GC # for each Found cache so you can update it on gc.com and get your smiley.

It has the capability that you can mark one position as "Home". So say for example whe you get out of your car you mark that location as "Home". Then at the end of your geocaching adventure you tell Jr. to take you home and it's arrow will point you to where your car is.

It's a rugged constructon on it so it won't just fall apart on you.

My experience is that this little GPSr actually out performs a very well known and popular GPSr that costs 3 times as much.

It really is so simple that a young child could easily use it.

The best part is it comes with 250,000 (that's not a typo it is about a quarter million geocaches proloaded onto it) geocaches already preloaded into it so you literally put batteries in it, let it find the satallites and lock on to them and then you're off on a geocaching adventure.

What are the cons of this unit? I'll list them out below:

If you want to use the GPSr for anything other than geocaching then you won't want this one. It gets you to the caches and back to your car and that's all.

If you want to update the 250,000 geocaches in it you need to buy a special update kit that sells for I think it is $25 . Yes the update cable is a USB that connects to a PC.

Well I think that pretty much sums up why this particular GPSr might be just the thing you're looking for. Check out the for in the link above and that should answer any remaining questions you may have.

Good luck in your search for a GPSr that will meet all your needs! ;)

EDIT TO ADD: There's an important con I forgot to mention last night when I wrote this recommendation. That con is that you can not read any cache descriptions out in the field and you also can not manually input coordinates so because of those limitations the only type of caches you can find with this unit are traditional geocaches. Even with this extra information I still say this is one awesome little caching machine and I love it!

Edited by Michigan Cacheman

No question at all. Go to ebay and buy a Delorme PN-20. Now I prefer garmins and hate the small screen but

I bought one there and found it ok. With the firmware updates and paperless caching it was a fine backup to my oregon until someone lifted it from my truck. For your requirements it is by far the best compromise. It will do a poor college boy well. ;)

Edited by kentwoodkrew

I might be over simplifying what the requirements are but I see no reason why a Venture HC would not work.

1. The device must connect to a PC through a USB cable and take Pocket Queries, whether automagically or through 3rd party software. Manual input is worthless to me as I never know where I'm going to be on a given day, and I'm too cheap/poor to drop a hundred bucks a month on an internet phone.

The Venture HC has a USB connector so you can upload geocaches to it directly from the gc.com webpage or another third party program (ie GSAK)

2. The device must be able to store data on at least 500 caches in an area. It doesn't have to have logs, but I'd like to know the size and difficulty and maybe a hint so I can skip carrying 10 pounds of wasted paper on a hiking trip.

The VentureHC holds 1000 waypoints. With software like GSAK, you can load the terrain and difficulty into the waypoint Name. For example, I have GSAK rename all my waypoints as GCXXXXX 12, where the 1 would represent difficulty 1 and the 2 would be terrain 2. There are several GSAK macros already written to do this for you. Also the hint could be loaded into the note field (max 30 characters).

3. The device must allow me to mark caches as found in some fashion, this is of vital importance because I visit local areas that have a cache every 10 inches and I don't want to hit the same one five times in a row.
Just mark the cache as found and it won't show up next time in the list of caches to search. It is still stored on the device, so it is still available if needed.

4. The device must have at least 6 hours of battery life, but the more, the merrier.

14 hours

5. Most importantly, the device must cost less than $150 (used or refurb is great). I figure that if a hobby costs more than I have in my bank account at any given time, I need a new hobby. (I'm just not ready to give this one up yet.)
I see it is on amazon.com for $124.

I'm sure if I have something wrong someone will correct me, but I believe this will cover all you criteria.

Really? Where is this "cache every 10 inches" place? Don't want to hit the same one again? If they are truly that close, just load ONE. You don't need a GPS after finding the first one if they are less than a foot apart. Sounds very, "hmmm..." B)

Edited by scotthsi

Really? Where is this "cache every 10 inches" place? Don't want to hit the same one again? If they are truly that close, just load ONE. You don't need a GPS after finding the first one if they are less than a foot apart. Sounds very, "hmmm..." B)

I live in Lawrence, KS, right between Topeka and Kansas City and all three cities are covered in caches. There are far too many for me to remember which ones I've been to without a printed list of the ones I've visited. No, there aren't literally caches 10 inches apart, but there are some small parks and hiking trails with as many as twenty in a square mile, and that's a lot of printer paper and note taking without a paperless method of hunting.

No, there aren't literally caches 10 inches apart

Well, that is what you said. You did not say something to the effect of, "It seems like there are caches every 10 inches apart" or anything.

Why don't you just name each cache and delete it when you find it? Or use your God given memory?

There's just no pleasing some people, eh? B)

Thanks for your input folks! You've helped me narrow it down to 3 choices, VentureHC, Geomate Jr., or a PN-20. Now I have something to work with. In the meantime, I've had an epiphany, but I'll start a new topic for that. Thanks again.

Ok, I was going to write you a long reply here in this thread, but let me just say check your E-Mail account that is associated with your gc.com screen name. I'm sending you an E-Mail which I'm sure will change your plans. So if you're on the verge of spending money on a GPSr in the next few minutes wait until you read the E-Mail from me. Have a great day!!!! B)

Hey, you're the one who's "hard to please" with no budget for proper equipment. B)

Listen, friend, I may be new here, but I'm pretty sure that If you're looking to drop trou and grab a measuring tape, you've come to the wrong place. If you've got nothing constructive to add, you might want to save the rest of your act for your buddies, I'm done with you.

Don't fret, dglorioso, you've done nothing remiss.

Apparently, the other has some issues, however.

Managed to try to start a squable with me over nothing in another thread.

Oh well, .............

Apparently, the other has some issues, however.

Managed to try to start a squable with me over nothing in another thread.

Oh well, .............

NO, that was YOU responding to a question out of the blue that was NOT directed at you. You threw down with a smart a** comment relating GPS units to toy model train cars, which was waaaayyy off topic. B)

refurb

Seems you can get a refurbished unit from Amazon.com for under $150 (PN-20 that is).

Good catch on the refurbs, Roddy. I'll put in a good word for them in general, as people who have bought refurb PN-20's in the past have reported good satisfaction. The only caution that occurs to my eye is that it isn't Amazon per se, but Amazon resellers offering the refurbs. I don't recognize them as familiar vendors so I would feel a little cautious about them (maybe Amazon backs them up with a guarantee of good vendor fidelity, I don't know). Also, there are some resellers offering brand new PN-20 packages for as little as $20 more.

I do know that in the past TigerGPS had sold refurb PN-20s, and I see they are doing so now at $150. Personally I would have more confidence buying from them.

refurb

Seems you can get a refurbished unit from Amazon.com for under $150 (PN-20 that is).

Good catch on the refurbs, Roddy. I'll put in a good word for them in general, as people who have bought refurb PN-20's in the past have reported good satisfaction. The only caution that occurs to my eye is that it isn't Amazon per se, but Amazon resellers offering the refurbs. I don't recognize them as familiar vendors so I would feel a little cautious about them (maybe Amazon backs them up with a guarantee of good vendor fidelity, I don't know). Also, there are some resellers offering brand new PN-20 packages for as little as $20 more.

I do know that in the past TigerGPS had sold refurb PN-20s, and I see they are doing so now at $150. Personally I would have more confidence buying from them.

I've purchased from some of those Amazon associated resellers without a problem.

However, not for an item as costly as a PN-20.

I do note that they give % of postive rating and number of ratings of those resellers, which is comforting.