The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly of GC's

Generally, .50 cal ammo cans are cheaper and larger, but not as easy to consistently find in these parts (without a 1+ hour trip to the nearest military surplus store.)
If you're interested in shopping for them online, Army Surplus Warehouse is the best online source I've found for ammo cans because they don't charge sales tax or screw you on the shipping.

.50 cal cans are $10 and .30 cal cans are $7.

I'm in California and I regularly get orders within 2-3 days via UPS. The cans I've gotten from ASW have all been in very good condition with excellent gaskets. Dirty often times, but take the lids off, run them through the dishwasher (yeah, seriously) and, voila; they sparkle about as much as OD green ever will.

Ammo Cans Galore at Army Surplus Warehouse

Do yourself a favor, though, and don't uh... don't mention my name. <cough>

Generally, .50 cal ammo cans are cheaper and larger, but not as easy to consistently find in these parts (without a 1+ hour trip to the nearest military surplus store.)
If you're interested in shopping for them online, Army Surplus Warehouse is the best online source I've found for ammo cans because they don't charge sales tax or screw you on the shipping.

.50 cal cans are $10 and .30 cal cans are $7.

I'm in California and I regularly get orders within 2-3 days via UPS. The cans I've gotten from ASW have all been in very good condition with excellent gaskets. Dirty often times, but take the lids off, run them through the dishwasher (yeah, seriously) and, voila; they sparkle about as much as OD green ever will.

Ammo Cans Galore at Army Surplus Warehouse

Do yourself a favor, though, and don't uh... don't mention my name. <cough>

Thanks for the info, but my hide rate pretty closely matches the rate at which they become available around here for $5 for a single or $9 for three cans. Condition varies from "freaking beautiful" to "slightly dinged".

I do agree with you, that the .50 cal can is the King of Containers. They don't work in all situations, but they seem to out-last and out-perform most any other container for less cost than many other "water proof" solutions.

Funny you mention the dish-washer. I've done the same thing for different reasons.

I can't stand film canisters because everyone of them leaks. I have never come across a true dry log in a film canister. They are horrible for containers in GC'ing.

I do however LOVE Micros... Why?

Because alot of the time in my life I have about 30 min to an hour to spare while I am waiting on something else. Alot of this time I am in my vehicle sitting in my Armani suit. So I pull up geocaching.com on my netbook & see what PNG & LPC type caches are near me that WON'T mess up my suit & I can find in the time that I have available to me. For this... I love micros and PNG/LPC type caches. Something quick & easy without the worry of messing up my Armani.

I also love Micros when I am out in the wilderness of nature, dressed & prepared for some major bushwacking, jungle type excursions. Micros make it a little more challenging to find. Micros allow caches to be hidden in spots that you CAN'T hide an ammo can.

Ammo cans make great containers. I have a good dozen or so around my house that I use for various things around my house & when I go camping as well. Alot of them, if not most of them date back to the Korean / Vietnam war error. I even have 3 from the WW2 error that my grandfather brought back with him. For grins those 3 containers are also where I keep the 3 german lugars he brought back with him stored as well.

However one of the problems with ammo cans is the limited spots that you can hide such a large beast. Even out in the "Jungles" of our parks or forrests. This is one of the reasons that it also makes it alot tougher (but not impossible) to make an ammo can a higher difficulty. Depending on how you want to rate that based on finding, or retrieving as another thread there is a debate going on if retrieving a cache should be part of the terrain or difficulty.

What I will say about containers is that I have come across a quite a few that the CO really didn't choose the appropriate container for the location that he/she wanted to place their cache.

A container that is great for one location won't be in another. Enviromental reasons alone can make or break a container.

If you place a cache in Death Valley you aren't going to have to worry to much about water or freezing. On the other hand if you place a cache in Seward Alaska, you need to worry about freezing, and water!

TGC

Oh, and the problem with fancy geocache containers (such as otterboxes), is that they make better target for muggles.

Tell me, which are you most likely to take if you find in the woods:

An old peanut (plastic) butter jar

a film canister

or an otterbox?

People have been doing the challenge cache of old WA state caches, and they have been commenting that the caches that have lasted are the ones far from anyone, and the ones that have boxes no one wants to take.

Just a thought.