The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly of GC's

In my experience, generally speaking (and I mean generally) this is how it breaks down:

Undisputed First Place: The .30 (or .50) Cal Ammo Can

Legendary durability. Cheap. Very camouflage-able. Great capacity. About as water tight as you can hope for, assuming your chosen can isn't a total rust bucket, average intelligence of the operator and a willingness to cooperate with the design (read: close the thing the way it was intended to be closed). Simply put, the Undisputed King of the Geocache Container Universe. The only perceived drawbacks I can think of are: 1. They are not transparent (and some GZ's absolutely require a transparent container for perceived safety/security/anti-Bomb Squad reasons) and 2. The limited number of sizes available makes them unsuitable for some, particularly more urban, GZ's. Still, all things considered, and solely in my opinion, there simply is NO better container. All hail the King!

Second Place: Lock 'n' Lock Containers (Accept no substitutes (This means no Gladware, Rubbermaid orrrr Tupperware!))

Light, cheap, transparent and pretty much watertight (assuming average intelligence and a willingness to cooperate with the design) under normal circumstances (whatever those are). The plastic "ammo can". Only dethroned by a true .30/.50 cal ammo can and has the advantage of having many different shapes and sizes allowing it to potentially go where no true ammo can... can (go).

Third Place: Nalgene Straight Jars/Nalgene Wide Mouth Water Bottles

Pretty much neck-and-neck with Lock 'n' Locks and for all the same reasons.

Beyond this I think we're getting into Micro Cache territory... And I hate Micros.

In my experience, generally speaking (and I mean generally) this is how it breaks down:

Legendary durability. Cheap. Very camouflage-able. Great capacity. About as water tight as you can hope for, assuming your chosen can isn't a total rust bucket, average intelligence of the operator and a willingness to cooperate with the design (read: close the thing the way it was intended to be closed). Simply put, the Undisputed King of the Geocache Container Universe. The only perceived drawbacks I can think of are: 1. They are not transparent (and some GZ's absolutely require a transparent container for perceived safety/security/anti-Bomb Squad reasons) and 2. The limited number of sizes available makes them unsuitable for some, particularly more urban, GZ's. Still, all things considered, and solely in my opinion, there simply is NO better container. All hail the King!

Second Place: Lock 'n' Lock Containers (Accept no substitutes (This means no Gladware, Rubbermaid orrrr Tupperware!))

Light, cheap, transparent and pretty much watertight (assuming average intelligence and a willingness to cooperate with the design) under normal circumstances (whatever those are). The plastic "ammo can". Only dethroned by a true .30/.50 cal ammo can and has the advantage of having many different shapes and sizes allowing it to potentially go where no true ammo can... can (go).

Beyond this I think we're getting into Micro Cache territory... And I hate Micros.

Are you discounting the value of an otterbox type container? What about a plastic lined thermos?

Are you discounting the value of an otterbox type container? What about a plastic lined thermos?

Otter Boxes/Pelican Cases make superb containers yes. The reason I don't put them on my list is because they are so expensive. Since I don't hide Micro or Small caches, personally, I'd be looking at $20+ easy for a decent-sized Otter Box, more for a Pelican Case of the same size. I can get three .30 cal ammo cans for that kind of outlay.

If cost is not a consideration then yes, I would put Pelican Cases right up with actual GI ammo cans. Otter boxes would be right there as well but given the choice, I'd take a Pelican Case over an Otter Box, all other things being equal. However, for me, cost IS a consideration and that's why I don't list either Pelican Cases or Otter Boxes. I wouldn't be at all ticked-off if my $7 ammo can got toasted in a wildfire (quite probable here in S. California) but seeing a nice $35 Pelican Case melt into the surrounding back country might just bring a tear to my eye. There's a place for Pelican Cases in my life (like transporting my highly customized target pistol), but GZ for my latest and greatest cache is not one of them.

Just my two-cent's.

Not to be a numbers nut, but that's a pretty strong opinion for four physical finds and a month's worth of caching.

I'm assuming that you've either not logged all your finds or you cached under a different account/name in the past?

Not to be a numbers nut, but that's a pretty strong opinion for four physical finds and a month's worth of caching.

I'm assuming that you've either not logged all your finds or you cached under a different account/name in the past?

Surely not a

Sock_Puppet_3_small.JPG

Edited by bittsen

There are two things that all the best containers seem to have in common. The first is a compressible seal. Ammo cans, Lock-N-Locks, Bison tubes, and even match safes all have 'em. The second is that good containers have a locking mechanism capable of compressing the seal. Ammo cans and LnLs have latches, the ammo cans is by far the superior. Bisons and match safes have the threaded covers that compress their o-rings.

Surely not a...
LOL... My assurances to the contrary. Sometimes I simply crave a fresh start.

That being said, if someone finds fault with my container assessment post, or has other thought's on the topic, please, let's discuss! Jupiter Jack is all ears...

Also, if my previous post/s come off as trying to sound... authoritative, allow me to say that I'm only expressing my own opinion, based on my own experience, and I certainly don't claim any degree of authority on the topic beyond that! I'm all in good fun, all the time.

;) <--- See?

/that IS a well-done sock puppet though!

instead of having one topic per container, you can say what containers are good, bad, or just plain ugly for GC's! ;):)

Match the container to the location and you are good no matter what you use. By way of example. Most folks say glass sucks and pottery by extension also sucks for the same reason. Yet caches of grain stored in pottery that is thousands of years old are being found every now and then. Location, Location, Location. The key to this king of thing though is to hide your grain so muggle relic thieves don't find it.

Bisons and match safes have the threaded covers that compress their o-rings.

Beware the quality of the o-rings on typical cheesy Chinese "bullets". The very "compression" that makes them work well also tends to cut them pretty easily.

While the the containers themselves work well enough and can be had VERY inexpensively, I keep a full supply of o-rings to replace the originals before placing a cache. I picked up a bag of 50 made of EPDM online for $9 at www.allorings.com - but they're available at some decent hardware stores, too. You can get silicone even cheaper.

instead of having one topic per container, you can say what containers are good, bad, or just plain ugly for GC's! ;):rolleyes:

Match the container to the location and you are good no matter what you use. By way of example. Most folks say glass sucks and pottery by extension also sucks for the same reason. Yet caches of grain stored in pottery that is thousands of years old are being found every now and then. Location, Location, Location. The key to this king of thing though is to hide your grain so muggle relic thieves don't find it.

See? Match containers. Isn't that what I said? :)

Regarding glass containers, I've recently had reason to change my stance after finding several good, thick ones that were hidden in places where they were not likely to 1) get dropped on hard stuff, and 2) not get frozen in a pool of water that might crack them. I'd like to re-cast my vote as "appropriate where appropriate" if I may.

What about the knock-off Pelican cases at Wal-Mart?

Are you talking about the clear ones with the blue seal? A couple blue compression latches? A rubber fob woth a keyring thingy?

I thought they'd make good containers. Bought one, put a couple trinkets in it. Tossed it in the bed of my 'Yota.

Within a month, it had about a film can's volume of water in it. ;)

I checked the seal, and it appeared fine. Didn't see any obvious fail points in the body or lid.

Not sure why it proved less than water resistant.

PS: <peeve>Can we please call them "geocaches", and not "GC's" (and if you insist on the latter, avoid the possessive apostrophe 's'). Thank you. </peeve>

hmm... you dont like the "GC's" shortning? how do you think GC's feel? I'm sure the GC's are sad. :P:D:D

plus it saves room on forum posts and topics, take this one for example if it was called "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Geocaches" that would be too long for what most people want in a title, so we shortened it up.

:):D:D:antenna::cry::ninja::rolleyes::sunsure::cool::santa::drama::);)

PS: <peeve>Can we please call them "geocaches", and not "GC's" (and if you insist on the latter, avoid the possessive apostrophe 's'). Thank you. </peeve>

hmm... you dont like the "GC's" shortning? how do you think GC's feel? I'm sure the GC's are sad. :P:D:D

plus it saves room on forum posts and topics, take this one for example if it was called "The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly of Geocaches" that would be too long for what most people want in a title, so we shortened it up.

:):D:D:antenna::cry::ninja::rolleyes::sunsure::cool::santa::drama::);)

I'm thrilled with "geocaches", if that helps. Thanks for the diverse smilies audience, by the way. Very impressive. I don't think, by the way, that most people are too bothered by the length of a thread title.

Why do you hate micros?

Is it because of their size & that makes it so much more difficult to find, or is it because of the locations that most micros end up getting placed?

I love micros that are intelligently placed in urban locations. Such as a few that are magnet mounted to various interesting places.

TGC

Why do you hate micros?

Is it because of their size & that makes it so much more difficult to find, or is it because of the locations that most micros end up getting placed?

I love micros that are intelligently placed in urban locations. Such as a few that are magnet mounted to various interesting places.

TGC

It's a shame but the few well planned micro caches in interesting locations get lost in the sea of lame parking lots and guardrails and such.

I've seen geocaches made from memory card cases - soft, translucent plastic, hinges that break easily, not even remotely watertight, and can hardly hold a micro log.

Something like this:

Plastic-Secure-Cover-Case-For-SD-TF-Memory-MMC-Card.jpg

I couldn't understand why someone thought it was a good idea, until one day it dawned on me that this is the modern equivalent of the film canister, and this is probably meant as a joke.

Or maybe they really thought it would make a good container and I'm over analyzing it.

I've seen geocaches made from memory card cases - soft, translucent plastic, hinges that break easily, not even remotely watertight, and can hardly hold a micro log.

Something like this:

I couldn't understand why someone thought it was a good idea, until one day it dawned on me that this is the modern equivalent of the film canister, and this is probably meant as a joke.

Or maybe they really thought it would make a good container and I'm over analyzing it.

Believe it or not, I thought of using one of those yesterday. Decided against it though because it wouldn't weather well, but if placed in a crack, under cover, it would work.

I'm surprised I haven't seen a DVD case out there, or an old Nintendo cartridge case.

OOPS, I probably am giving some people ideas.

Something like this:

Sorry, but that's just hating memory card cases. And used in an appropriate spot, say, in a picnic shelter or bus stop, it would probably be just fine. Of course, you may have issues with the muggle problems at both of those spots, but I think you get my drift, nontheless.

Edited by knowschad

Brief topics, apparently. ;)

OMG, ROFLMAO!

Ok, now that's over.

I suppose if I mention film cannisters I'll get lynched... Calm down, I'm only kidding. I'm archiving my film cans as they need maintenance or get muggled and have a nice, clean, ready to go 50 Cal ammo can just begging to be put out.

I've had a few dollar store lock and locks with a compressable seal, they've been out a year and doing good, but I think this year will be the true test. On top of that, I painted them either flat black or cammo, I wonder if that helps protect the plastic from UV degridation...

Anyways, if you're going to set a micro, a bison tube works real good. (you can even buy replacement o-rings in the plumbing area at Home Depot)

I agree that Gladware (worst) Rubbermaid (bad) and Tupperware (not very good) don't come close to Lock&Locks, but I've used "Snap-Locks" from Costco with pretty good success. Not as good as L&L's, but I have had some in the field for 3+ years and still no problems. Usually camo duct taped, especially along the top of the hinges

if you call over 60 brief, what topics have you started with more? Wait, don't answer that! ;)

P.S. I did that to save everyone time by looking at one form topic instead of 3+ :rolleyes:

also: do you always pick on the new guy?

We're (I'm) just having fun with you, Bell Dingers. Your original post ("OP". remember?) said that you were "moving topics". It takes a moderator to move topics, and after you stated that, there were as of yet, no further postings to this thread, thus my good-natured (in intention, at least) jab. There still are only 30-some posts to this thread, not over 60, so that bit is puzzling me, but don't worry about me... I'll be fine. :)

{edited to add: yes. We try, at least, to always pick on the new guy. I hope you take it with the grain of salt that is intended}

Edited by knowschad
Believe it or not, I thought of using one of those yesterday. Decided against it though because it wouldn't weather well, but if placed in a crack, under cover, it would work.

Well, if you end up using it in a suitable location, try to reinforce the hinge somehow. I think CF cases are better than SD cases because they don't have the tabs inside to hold a SD in place.

DVD case... hmm... I think I can find an 8 track catridge in a thrift store. That should make for an interesting in-theme container, if I can think of the theme ;)

for the over 60 part, I meant "pill bottle Geocache" (not GC) and the moderators probably wouldn't do it so I posted a note to respond here instead of there to make it easier on all of us.

I know, my friend (and fellow Minnesotan). I'm just ribbing you, and mostly based on your "How to become a moderator" post. I hope you take it in with the humor that was intended. Consider it a mile hazing, if you must.

{edited to add: yes. We try, at least, to always pick on the new guy. I hope you take it with the grain of salt that is intended}

grain of salt?

(With) a grain of salt is a literal translation of a Latin phrase, (cum) grano salis.

In common parlance, if something is to be taken with a grain of salt, it means that a copious measure of skepticism should be applied regarding a claim; that it should not be blindly accepted and believed without any doubt or reservation. According to the Oxford English Dictionary "to take 'it' with a grain of salt" means "to accept a thing less than fully". It dates this usage back to 1647. According to the The New Dictionary of Cultural Literacy, the phrase also means to "view a statement with a skeptical attitude."

The phrase comes from Pliny the Elder's Naturalis Historia, regarding the discovery of a recipe for an antidote to a poison.[1] In the antidote, one of the ingredients was a grain of salt. Threats involving the poison were thus to be taken "with a grain of salt" and therefore less seriously. An alternative account says that the Roman general believed he could make himself immune to poison by ingesting small amounts of various poisons, and he took this treatment with a grain of salt to help him swallow the poison. In this version, the salt is not the antidote, it was taken merely to assist in swallowing the poison.

The Dutch language has a similar phrase; een korreltje zout.[2]

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grain_of_salt

What about the knock-off Pelican cases at Wal-Mart?

Are you talking about the clear ones with the blue seal? A couple blue compression latches? A rubber fob woth a keyring thingy?

I thought they'd make good containers. Bought one, put a couple trinkets in it. Tossed it in the bed of my 'Yota.

Within a month, it had about a film can's volume of water in it. ;)

I checked the seal, and it appeared fine. Didn't see any obvious fail points in the body or lid.

Not sure why it proved less than water resistant.

I've had one of these sitting on my bookshelf for... over a year. The seal has become cracked. I don't know if it would crack in the wild, but cracking in my climate controlled bedroom doesn't bode well.

I can't tell what the seal is made of, but it looks to be a lesser creature compared to say an ammo can seal.

I'm tempted to replace the seal with some silicone caulk and see how that holds up.

Generally, .50 cal ammo cans are cheaper and larger, but not as easy to consistently find in these parts (without a 1+ hour trip to the nearest military surplus store.)