altoids tins

I've run across two caches that used Altoids tins. Both were in sad shape, generally speaking (referring to the containers and the log books, not the quality of the enclosed swag). And this is in S. California where we've had drought conditions for... oh, about the past decade. My suggestion: Just don't use them; they were never designed to resist the forces of Mother Nature, are not even remotely water-tight and are just plain flimsy right from the start.

A quality cache starts with a quality container.

are altoids tins waterproof? and if so do they make a good geocache?
Not even close to waterproof.

We have quite a number of them here in Colorado, land of low humidity. IF the owner has kept them out of direct wet, they do very well here. No matter where they are, if they're allowed to see any rain or snow or any other direct moisture, they're lousy. So it depends on where you are, and how you choose to use them.

I see you're in Duluth. Forget it unless it's being placed somewhere that is itself waterproof for some reason (like indoors!)

Edited by ecanderson

The best place I saw an Altoids tin was under a pavilion at a rest stop. They person that placed it put magnets on the bottom of the can and stuck it in the eaves of the pavilion. The rest stop was in Wyoming. It doesn't have high humidity, but it's not as low as you'd think. Plus the pavilion kept the tin dry. It was painted rust color to protect the tin from rusting and make it blend into the rust colored eaves.

Edited by esseneth

The best place I saw an Altoids tin was under a pavilion at a rest stop. They person that placed it put magnets on the bottom of the can and stuck it in the eaves of the pavilion. The rest stop was in Wyoming. It doesn't have high humidity, but it's not as low as you'd think. Plus the pavilion kept the tin dry. It was painted rust color to protect the tin from rusting and make it blend into the rust colored eaves.

I have seen a couple good altoid tin hides. They didn't rely on the cache to keep its contents dry, they were placed under cover. Neither had wet logs.