setting up a Route query

goonybird

So Im planning on another drive to Vegas in the next week.

And i'm pondering the best way of setting up the route-based pocket query.

Thing is, I want to take a detour or 2 along the way, so if I use the website's route planner, I apparently will have to use 1 query for each segment. i'd really like to have one query for the whole trip.

Basically I'm talking about driving from L.A. to Needles, Then to Vegas, taking i40 out of Barstow rather than i15. Then i'll come back on i15. So LA to Needles - 1 query, Needles to Vegas - 1 query, Vegas to LA - 1 query.

What i TRIED was submitting a gpx route with 3 waypoints - LA, Needles, Vegas. The website gave me a route with straight lines between the 3 - not even remotely following any roads between the 2 - just straight as-the-crow-flies lines.

I suppose AFTER i make the trip, I'll have a breadcrumb trail in my GPS that i could upload for the NEXT time i do this particular trip, but I might not actually ever do this exact trip again.

ANy of you have any thoughts?

I break my routes into sections, because getting near a city will usually max out the number of caches on the PQ. Just like running a route in a big circle through the mountains, I set up Salem to Eugene, Eugene to Sisters and then Sisters to Salem.

A little more hastle, but works like a charm. There is a way (I don't have the link) to combined the three routes, but it works for me.

I break my routes into sections, because getting near a city will usually max out the number of caches on the PQ. Just like running a route in a big circle through the mountains, I set up Salem to Eugene, Eugene to Sisters and then Sisters to Salem.

A little more hastle, but works like a charm. There is a way (I don't have the link) to combined the three routes, but it works for me.

That's what i'm doing now, but i'd rather be able to do it in one query rather than several segments. Thre IS a limit on the total # of queries. So after the drive, i think i probably WILL upload the breadcrumb trail, if i cant find a better way beforehand.

That's what i'm doing now, but i'd rather be able to do it in one query rather than several segments. Thre IS a limit on the total # of queries. So after the drive, i think i probably WILL upload the breadcrumb trail, if i cant find a better way beforehand.

Are you using Mapsource?

If so, set your routing preferences to "User Direct Routes, then create your own breadcrumb route. Save it as a GPX and upload it to the website.