Geocachers Caught on Google Earth Cam ?

prospector27

I think the reference is the Google cars that run around taking poictures of homes - street level I think they call it.

My friend was standing on his front porch when the Google rig went by. Kind of funny to see.

what is the best or easiest way to capture a still frame from one the google maps street images? i think this would be the perfect thread to upload some funny and interesting spontaneous street images (i know of one, although it isn't geocache related).

Edited by Odyssey Voyager

You never know. The guy with his head stuck in the fence might have been a cacher - hasn't that happened to us all. The person climbing a fence might have been after an evil cache, or he may simply have been climbing a fence. The people moving a freezer with a shopping cart might have been placing a very large cache. And the young women sunbathing were acting very stealthy.

Then there has been speculation that this picture actually shows a cache.

Edited by Erickson

I used Google Street View to find the final location of a multi-stage cache that had me driving all around getting addresses off of buildings. Google Street view wouldn't help me doing the multi-stage part, as it figures out what is writing and people's faces and blurs them out. However, I *think* I can see the final cache in the tree that it's supposed to be in! :huh:

I used Google Street View to find the final location of a multi-stage cache that had me driving all around getting addresses off of buildings. Google Street view wouldn't help me doing the multi-stage part, as it figures out what is writing and people's faces and blurs them out. However, I *think* I can see the final cache in the tree that it's supposed to be in! B)

I did solve two out of three stages of a mystery cache using Google Street View. ;) And figured out what the hint meant on another...

I used Google Street View to find the final location of a multi-stage cache that had me driving all around getting addresses off of buildings. Google Street view wouldn't help me doing the multi-stage part, as it figures out what is writing and people's faces and blurs them out. However, I *think* I can see the final cache in the tree that it's supposed to be in! B)

I did solve two out of three stages of a mystery cache using Google Street View. ;) And figured out what the hint meant on another...

I solved an entire mystery cache with Street View. You had to drive from point A to point B without hitting a stop sign. Did it without using a pint of gasoline.

I wouldn't have a clue how to find the post. However, quite a while ago someone posted a Google satellite pic. that showed a car parked near a cache, and a couple people walking toward the the cache. They appeared to be holding something like a GPSr, but of course you couldn't see any of it well enough to more then speculate. B)

geocoins are too small to show up on Google Earth.

I'm taking this as a challenge.

Does anyone have a watertank, grain silo or rooftop in a populated area of the Puget-Willamette Trough they would donate for placement of the world's largest geocoin?

I had two thoughts.

#1 I could plow one then plant shrubs (I see them free in craigslist frequently)

#2 Make it a virtual coin using Cache placements. Technically it could be viewed from Google Earth.

what is the best or easiest way to capture a still frame from one the google maps street images?

A simple screen / selected-area grabber of any sort. I have a fondness for the flexibility of one called AnyCapture.

got one simpler for you.

Hit the print screen key.

open paint (or any image editor) and past it in.

crop it and save it.

Simpler, no. Cheaper, yes. AnyCapture lets you select just what you want the first time. It does have a nominal shareware charge, though.

what is the best or easiest way to capture a still frame from one the google maps street images?

A simple screen / selected-area grabber of any sort. I have a fondness for the flexibility of one called AnyCapture.

got one simpler for you.

Hit the print screen key.

open paint (or any image editor) and past it in.

crop it and save it.

Simpler, no. Cheaper, yes. AnyCapture lets you select just what you want the first time. It does have a nominal shareware charge, though.

let me guess.

Unlike paint, you have to find it, download it and install it.

Like paint you have to open it up.

Then you have to set it up to run with a hot key or click a start capture button.

Then you have to select the area you want to capture where as with paint you select the area you want to keep.

Come to think of it, they are neck and neck discounting finding, downloading and installing.

Wanna know something funny? I use Paint Shop Pro to take screen shots. :laughing:

It lets me do area, client area, window, object or full screen.

I can start it with a click, a hot key or set a timer.

It will also do multiple captures, and timed multi caps as fast a 1/10 a second.

sorry, thread jack done.

Drat! I was just about to post that picture, well, here it is anyway:

geo1.gif

I once saw the Google Streetview car as we were driving on the highway. I've checked the location, but it seems that it used other pictures.

For those using Windows 7 or Vista, the Snipping Tool is a good screen capture tool. Unfortunately, it's not available for XP.

The Print Screen button is pretty sick if you're using XP, but it's confusing and takes some experience to use right.

Usually i'd complain when you bring back an old thread. But this is the third time I literally laughed outloud during the reading of a forum post... Totally worth it!

I do believe I found where the GoogleSpyMobile caught a cacher in action.

The cache GC1CVW5is in San Diego, Calif.

eeb3c0d3-1692-4e89-ae99-9292952e114d.jpg

The red marker indicates Google's zero for the cache location.

Is there a geocache at those coordinates? Its hard to say these days if somebody is looking at a GPSr or a cellphone/smartphone. And even if they are looking at a smartphone, are they geocaching, or texting? But if there is indeed a cache at that spot, nice catch!

EDIT: Nevermind... I didn't see your link!

Edited by knowschad

Thought it was interesting how they just pop into existence for just one pic out of the series... Never new they edited the pics that much... I do know they used multiple versions of the pics, and several views. But to include the one frame that has someone in it?

hmmmm?

Doug 7rxc