where are all the kiwi's

waiau

there seems to be a real lack of kiwi's on here, surely an absolute beginner like me and my kids aren't the only ones cruising through here.

it would be nice to touch base with some others about this crazy sport that seems to be taking over our lives.

Hi Waiau!

I am also a NZ cacher from Woodend in canterbury.

How are you?

I just started a month ago.

From

Angus.

there seems to be a real lack of kiwi's on here, surely an absolute beginner like me and my kids aren't the only ones cruising through here.

it would be nice to touch base with some others about this crazy sport that seems to be taking over our lives.

Hi Waiau!

I am also a NZ cacher from Woodend in canterbury.

How are you?

I just started a month ago.

From

Angus.

am doing well angus, i am located down south in te anau. if anyone uses yahoo or msn feel free to add me to their list, just use the id kiwitrouthunter@yahoo.com

i have a trip to invercargill coming up in the next week and plan to hit a few caches if the weather is halfway decent.

Most of the NZ cachers tend to hang out in the onshore 'local' forums at NZ GPS Society and Kiwicaching

I'm brand new too. The last link you used no-one has replied to a post for over a month. The first site is for general GPS stuff but is at least more active. Maybe kiwi's can't talk as well as fly? (shamed to say considering all the 'views' each post gets).

hey kiwiowl, good to see another new cacher. i do think that this forum is sadly neglected because it is often the first stop that many new cachers myself included make. one of those web sites as you pointed out is in my opinion also poorly supported and the other one while it is regular posted in it seems to be the same 5 or 6 people trying their best to keep it moving.

maybe it is just me and not knowing quiet what to expect but i was hoping for a more vibrant community of people willing to promote this new sport to the max.

A whole family of Geocachers here in West Auckland we started at the weekend and love it,

Using the Iphone software

how is everything going with the Iphone stuff ? i know very little about the Iphone in general. i am still using a cheap little nokia phone i bought about 7 or 8 years ago.

Most of the NZ cachers tend to hang out in the onshore 'local' forums at NZ GPS Society and Kiwicaching

The last link you used no-one has replied to a post for over a month. The first site is for general GPS stuff but is at least more active.

Hi there all, we have been caching for almost two years now. Do come on over to the GPS Society Geocaching forum. If you want to learn more about caching in NZ it really is informative, as many of the NZ cachers who have been involved from ' the beginning' read and post in that forum, including the reviewers. I have found that I can ask any question from simple to complex there, and there and I will get a quick answer. Also the Software and Hardware forums contain heaps of great information.

Kiwicaching is more focussed on their live chat that on their forums, so the best way to get to know people there is become a member and join in the live chat.

I am regularly on both sites and have found that there is indeed a vibrant, supportive and fun geocaching community in NZ.

The other thing I recommend is attend the next Event cache that is held in your area!! That is really the best way to get to know other cachers.

Happy caching and perhaps one day we will run into some of you at a cache.

Annie

Another NZ-er here, based in Invercargill.

Did my first hunt last night, and found 2 local caches too easily with my 'non-athletic' mum. At the end she asked me if I had another printout and where the next one was!

Am looking to do a road trip this weekend and find some more - and of course over the Xmas break too! A new hobby to give me plenty of reasons to leave Invercargill in the rear vision mirror....lol.

We have a great geocaching community in Auckland & Waikato! Go to the next event, as was suggested previously.

Also, I have a yellow Etrex for sale $150 to first taker.

Send me a message thru my profile on geocaching.com

Indiana Jill :anibad:

would love to cache in New Zealand

I've only started in the last month (since December 09) but I wish I'd done it sooner - I've always loved wandering through the bush as well as playing with gadgets and when I finally discovered that I could do both at the same time I was sold.

I've also convinced a large number of my friends that this is the best thing they'll ever do in their lives which make for some highly enjoyable afternoon strolls through the bush.

one here- relatively new cacher from Wainuiomata been at it about a month, notched a 2TF and a couple of thirds in 20 finds, -and let's not go there about DNFs :P lol.

waves to fellow cachers - would put a waving emoticon in here but doesn't seem to be one!

Edited by robnzh

Live in Wellington City and could probably still be considered a noob.

Was introduced to sport by my brother CumbyRocks in Dunedin, who's find tally makes mine look pitiful.

PS: While I'm here, RobNZH - do you know of the Wainui cache that's supposed to be the sixth oldest in existence worldwide? All I know is that it was hidden on May 26, 2000. Is it still active?

A whole family of Geocachers here in West Auckland we started at the weekend and love it,

Hi there kevsteam, i have just started or trying to start just wondered if i could get some help from you guys and some clues on what to look for ? I am in west auckland also I have all day every day to play this game apart from when my boy is asleep. regards Matt

Hi there kevsteam, i have just started or trying to start just wondered if i could get some help from you guys and some clues on what to look for ? I am in west auckland also I have all day every day to play this game apart from when my boy is asleep. regards Matt

Sorry for the late reply Matt, only infrequently check the forum. Unfortunately yesterday we went to the event out at Murawai which would have been perfect for you to attend.

I suggest to start with easy caches to begin with i.e. 1 star for difficulty. Read the description and hints for each cache.

The caches come in all sorts of sizes and disguises - the micro's can be especially tricky to find. Here is a nice easy cache I found today in Henderson - GC1TAVR http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...8b-ab1cf24cf8e3

Have lots of fun,

Kevs team

Hi there :ph34r:

We are a young couple in the tauranga area, we have known about geocaching but just started participating in the fun!!

unfortunately we do not own a GPS :ph34r: and with rates due soon we cant afford even the most basic GPS

but anyway we are trying to find all the easy ones

Edited by o0motorhead0o

Live in Wellington City and could probably still be considered a noob.

Was introduced to sport by my brother CumbyRocks in Dunedin, who's find tally makes mine look pitiful.

PS: While I'm here, RobNZH - do you know of the Wainui cache that's supposed to be the sixth oldest in existence worldwide? All I know is that it was hidden on May 26, 2000. Is it still active?

Yes, and it's 10th anniversary is coming up, we are working on it- keep an eye in here and in geocaching.com!

In the meantime I am on cache 48, hoping to log one more then go down to GC46 for my number 50- it's not too far from home. (I guess I could wait for 100 but I don't think so lol.)

Hi there :D

We are a young couple in the tauranga area, we have known about geocaching but just started participating in the fun!!

unfortunately we do not own a GPS :D and with rates due soon we cant afford even the most basic GPS

but anyway we are trying to find all the easy ones

Keep an eye on geocaching.org or contact me and i will endeavour to put you in contact with some local cachers and maybe someone in the same boat as you with no GPS :-)

Edited by Stretch0

c3c725ce-1195-4d1d-a22b-52961525ae89.jpg

There are now eight 10 Years!... cache events being held around NZ on the weekend of the 1st and 2nd of May - it's a great opportunity for old and new cachers to come along and catch up!

Auckland, GC2401K

Gisborne, GC25YJ6

Rotorua, G255AW

Wellington, GC253JN

Nelson, GC26CPB

Dunsandal, GC26B1R (30km south of Christchurch)

Oamaru, GC25855

Dunedin, GC25HVW

Cheers,

G.