Aqua Cache?

off-camber

I have a spot for a cache that is either under water in knee deep water or some how a clue for a land based cache is in the water.

Those that have found or placed these caches, how have they held up being frozen in ice?

I had an idea for a mechanism that will allow a sign to pop up out of the water with a hint for the caches coords. Basically the searcher will need to find a line that they can pull on that will raise the sign out of the water. I am open to other ideas on this.

Thanks

I have created a number of Hydro-caches and I have found hust as many. Most are created using a nalgene bottle (but ive seen other containers). They are usually clipped using a Carbiner to a ring attached to a rope tied to an anchor. It is probably best to make sure that it suspends below the approximate ice thickness for that particular body of water. Also, if motor boats frequent the water, you need to be sure you take that into consideration on how far you suspend the cache under water. Hydro-caches are fun to find and hide!

Abanakee Hydrocache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...40-48753733c34d

Rock Island Bay Hydro-cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...63-0b3048142495

Pack Forest Lake Multi-Hydro-Cache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...12-dbb09b233a3f

Moose Pond Hydrocache

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...f2-2621a9921252

Edited by GeoLobo

This is not a cache that would be required to use SCUBA to retrieve. The water would be waist deep at most. Water will most likely freeze right to the bottom.

I'm leaning twords a mechanism like a described that won't require the caher to get wet or require a water proof container. Just a sign of sorts with a clue on it to lead them to the cache somewhere on shore.

This is not a cache that would be required to use SCUBA to retrieve. The water would be waist deep at most. Water will most likely freeze right to the bottom.

I'm leaning twords a mechanism like a described that won't require the caher to get wet or require a water proof container. Just a sign of sorts with a clue on it to lead them to the cache somewhere on shore.

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but I think the only places where waist deep water freezes to the bottom are Nunavut and Siberia. :blink: I know of two ammo boxes that have stayed under the ice in the Northeast at 43 Degrees North Longitude. I guess the whole "mechanism" thing makes this a hard question to ponder in this case.

Not trying to be a smart aleck, but I think the only places where waist deep water freezes to the bottom are Nunavut and Siberia. :huh: I know of two ammo boxes that have stayed under the ice in the Northeast at 43 Degrees North Longitude. I guess the whole "mechanism" thing makes this a hard question to ponder in this case.

Oh trust me here in Norther New England the ice can get several feet thick.....January temps are routinely below zero...that's Fahrenheit

I have a cache about 8 feet underwater using a Nalgene bottle. It's not available during the winter, though, the dock it's hanging off of get's pulled out of the water then, so I can't tell you how well it holds up. It's held up very well during the other seasons, though.

Maybe if you were determined? :huh: C'mmon. You can totally see a cacher out there drilling/sawing a hole in the water, can't you? B)

I have a cache about 8 feet underwater using a Nalgene bottle. It's not available during the winter, though, the dock it's hanging off of get's pulled out of the water then, so I can't tell you how well it holds up. It's held up very well during the other seasons, though.

Maybe if you were determined? :huh: C'mmon. You can totally see a cacher out there drilling/sawing a hole in the water, can't you? B)

around here people do that anyway....ice fishing is very popular.