YemonYime V3 ~ Savor The Citrus!

YemonYime

Sorry folks for the delay. No winner has been announced just yet, so you might as well keep the thoughts coming if you have any opinions on the current and future state of geocoins.

Home projects have me buried under an avalanche of busyness. But there is an opening at the end of the tunnel this weekend, with some free time waiting for me. I really want to give these thoughts a good look-over and see what you all think.

Glad to see the YYv3 antique finishes are arriving. I finally got mine as well!

Thanks!

Yime

Sorry folks for the delay. No winner has been announced just yet, so you might as well keep the thoughts coming if you have any opinions on the current and future state of geocoins.

Home projects have me buried under an avalanche of busyness. But there is an opening at the end of the tunnel this weekend, with some free time waiting for me. I really want to give these thoughts a good look-over and see what you all think.

Glad to see the YYv3 antique finishes are arriving. I finally got mine as well!

Thanks!

Yime

Good luck with the projects...I definitely know the feeling!

Personally, I think that red coin looks stellar, and would LOVE to have one!

:blink: Yes! It is a beautiful coin and I love the poster and how you changed it!!! :blink:

as I said in my previous post, I like coins that are pretty and have a nice theme! I do not like coins that I can not understand what I see and what the coin is about!! Many cois are made only to be sold and get some money!

the best thing to buy a geocoin is to love it from the first site!!! Yes! this can happen!!! Even if I do not like talking about me, I am the best example of what I am talking about!!! Because of a geocoin I am here now, I am a geocacher! I accidently saw the first greek geocoin in Ebay, and since I am greek and I collect coins and banknotes, I wanted to learn more about this strange medallion!!! ....I found the game, I liked it and... here I am!

I also like some full metal coins!!! a couple of days ago, I went to drop a geocoin in a cahce and saw a coin that made my heart beat faster!!!! It was a full metal gold proof (so shiny that I can shave my face by looking at it, and use it as a mirror), that is like a huge real gold coin!!! It is the cache eagle, September 2009, from geocoin club! the design is so great... so perfect that it doesn't even need colors etc!!!! It is amazing!!!!!

I will soon drop it in a cache sine it doesn't belong to me, but I will watch its travells!!! :ph34r:

Now to come back to our talk....

I believe there is a problem with all these metal varietes!!!! Jesus!!! How you can understand if a coin is Polished silver or Shiny nickel, if it is antique bronze and not antique gold..... in some geocoins it is so difficult!!!! If things were more simple....

Except that... the problem is that there are too many geocoins minted in a year! Some are not advertized enough (the personals mostly) or some are so expensive that you can not even go near, even if they are lovely!!!!

the many different geocoins, may be nice for collections but it may not!!! what I mean... if there are so many geocoins be made, the time will come that the interest will be lost just because you can not buy all the coins you want!!! It happent here in greece with phonecard collectors! I was one of them! things were ok, but in 2001 there were more than 400 different phonecards! Some were almost the same, and only had small changes! This was the grave stone for our collections! Many lost their interest, they stoped collecting, they stopped buying... they didn;t even continued paying every year to be registered as a collector! I stoped that too! when the Organization finally understood that... it was too late! from the 15000 collectors.... only half are still registered! I do not want to see this with geocoins!!!

something else.... Why the companies take only paypal???? This is.... ;)

I do not have a paypal account, or a credit card... why I have to be out of all this??? and.... finally.....something for Groundspeak....

WHY Groundspeak doesn't sent or sell their coins in other countries???? why only USA cachers can buy Groundspeak coins??? Why not Europeans, Asians, Australians.... too??? It is not fair!!! :rolleyes:

Hmm... an other long post by me! :ph34r: Sorry my friends!!!

I know that I post things that are not only for companies and coins but they are some things that... :anibad:

I have to admit that I'm liking the way geocoins are going. I love intricate coins with lots of layers & detail. I love translucent enamels that show the details at the lower levels & textures beneath. I wish I knew how to do that kind of work. I have played with Gimp but only so far as how to curve text and only in one direction...

I'm in awe of the detail! ;)

CF30

missed this thread somehow, but want to get my traveling 2cents in :) .

I guess so far as colors are concerned I would like to see more of the shiny metals on metal coins...very striking to see a bright silver coin with bright gold font and pictures.

As I continue to get older, I also appreciate tracking numbers that are legible without the use of a magnifying glass...the rememberance coin I have (green of course,) is stored with a group of coins that are extra special to me (along side my Kathy's Coin,) so no offense inteded in any way shape or form, but I defy anyone to find a harder to read or find, tracking number (this could be another cointest!) In a nutshell I'm old with worsening vision!

And now, I'll get down from my little soapbox, with the help of my seeing eye dog and walker!

ILYK

For me it all boils down to design & colors. I like to see a well thought out coin design. Shaped or round, trackable or not, does not matter to me. Since coins are such small surfaces, I think it is easy for some of the more intricate designs to appear too busy. I hope coin designers will continue to push the envelope and produce wonderfully creative coins.

Climbing up on Dr. N's Soap box, Tee Hee.

COLORS and lots of them!!!!!!

I like The All Copper and the one s That have copper glitter in them, but

Plain metal can be cool for the right coin, but reminds me of money.

I don't know what I would think of an all Black Nickel Coin, Maybe with glow in it.

I love Glitter too for the right coin, Like Kathy's coin, Just Beautiful!!!

Climbing down from the soap box and trying not to step on myheinie.

LOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!

Opalsns

Coins which are artfully are nice. I am moving to non-round coins and ones with lots of detail. Metal doesn't matter as long as it compliments the colors/textures on the coin.

Some colors lend themselves to Antique metals, some to polished, etc.....and then also, the coin itself may make a difference. A template of the coin shape may make a certain metal appealing and also a coin theme.

As Dr.Neal said - please, tracking numbers which can be seen without a magnifier (no matter where their placement). Tis' awful getting old and being visually challenged. LOL

Thanks for the cointest and thread.

Doh! I just became aware of the Yemon Yime V3, and I think it's great. However Coins and Pins is not selling it anymore it would seem.

I am curious though, how did you come up with the design of the coin. Who is the woman? Do you live in Pittsburgh where the background is obviously the silhouette of? (The steel logo and the bridge)

Thanks

when I first saw geocoins, I loved gold and silver ones, but now, I strongly believe that the antique copper is the best metal for a geocoin! The details show perfect and complete! On the other hand, in black nickel, you can not see lots of details, and in case of small letters in inscription on the coin.... forget it! you can not read what it is writen!

Ok, I admit that I like coins with glitter and Glow coins a lot! :anicute: I am wondering... what will the next generation have? maybe geocoins with perfum??? :anibad: I mean... can you imagine a Yime Yemon coin that... when you are holding it in your hands... to smell... lemon? :)

I do not know if that is possible yet and if yes how it will last, but... :lol:

when I first saw geocoins, I loved gold and silver ones, but now, I strongly believe that the antique copper is the best metal for a geocoin! The details show perfect and complete! On the other hand, in black nickel, you can not see lots of details, and in case of small letters in inscription on the coin.... forget it! you can not read what it is writen!

Ok, I admit that I like coins with glitter and Glow coins a lot! :angry: I am wondering... what will the next generation have? maybe geocoins with perfum??? :angry: I mean... can you imagine a Yime Yemon coin that... when you are holding it in your hands... to smell... lemon? :blink:

I do not know if that is possible yet and if yes how it will last, but... :)

Be careful what you wish for Gatoulis!

IMG_0003_NEW-1.jpg

ILYK

<snip>

I am wondering... what will the next generation have? maybe geocoins with perfum??? :angry: I mean... can you imagine a Yime Yemon coin that... when you are holding it in your hands... to smell... lemon? :angry:

I do not know if that is possible yet and if yes how it will last, but... :)

IMG_0003_NEW-1.jpg

LOL!!!

Ok, I admit that I like coins with glitter and Glow coins a lot! :) I am wondering... what will the next generation have? maybe geocoins with perfum??? :D I mean... can you imagine a Yime Yemon coin that... when you are holding it in your hands... to smell... lemon? :D

I do not know if that is possible yet and if yes how it will last, but... :lol:

IMG_0003_NEW-1.jpg

ILYK

:P Oh boy!!!! I didn't know that these coins existed...

Well... I hope not all coins will be smelly!!!!! :):angry::angry::blink::P

Thank God I didn't say anything else!!!! :P:P

I know that there are kinds of colors with perfume that when you rubb a little there (not damage the area...) the smell comes out for some seconds and then it stops... so this can last a little in coins... if you do not play with them all the time! :D

I think the current state of geocoins is good,, i meen we have alot of special features on coins now,, and i like that.

i like to see inventave coins being made, moving parts, special things we never seen before. i think as a coin designer weve been pushed to think outside the box.

for me, id like to see more multi level coins, designs stacked to create uniqueness. i really love a elegant design or one thats well put togeather,, and sometimes the most simple design can be soooo cool with a very well picked out combo of colors, as your red v3. ive seen some coins where i feel the colors just dont match up to the design, and sometimes i think , so and so's coin would be so awesome with this and that color scheme.

i love all metals if the right colors are applyed, sometimes, a metal can just ruin the color tho. and sometimes that ruin of the color can be fantastic, like scavoks green on copper,, ,, its green but when applyed to copper it looks brown.

for future, i think coins will have to become more and more unique, because an idea only lasts so long before its overdone, look how many celtic coins have been made. i love celtic design, but i think on a coin its been done again and again.

i think were in for some great susprizes as we keep evolving the coins, i know us cachers and coiners have great ideas, and i think our ideas will be applyed to coins in a great manner. look at some of the new nav coins, moving parts, real compasses,, is this just the begining???.......i think so.. weve seen what kind of things can be done with metals like the moga pistol a coin gun in a holster!! or the 3d coin fear no cache,, fantastic!! or when practical things have been applyed like the man vs cache coin fire striker. holly crap,, mark my words if coins continue the way they have been,, were in for some good upcomming stuff!!! and quite frankly i cant wait to see whats next!!

hummm back to the drawing board..... :laughing:

To tell you the truth... me too! Yemon ? Yimes are so pretty.....

I didn't post a Bump..... because I do not know what Bump is! :blink:

Is it something that words start from the letters of this word... like TFTC???

In the dictionary Bump is.. if you hit your head somewhere... at the excact spot of the hit a bump is created!

So.... ????

Let's hear what you (as collectors) are hoping to see in the future of geocoins. Is it time for a "revolution" in the hobby, or are we headed in the right direction? Is it time to get back to "old school" traditional thinking, or are we witnessing the inevitable evolution of geocoins into more than an instrument of geocaching? After three Mega-Events that celebrate these irresistible pieces of metal, is our "little hobby" finally growing up?

I'm doing this because I would really like to see where you think this is all heading. What's the future got in store for our metallic affections? What draws you most to any new geocoin being offered here, or anywhere in the market for that matter? What makes a design stand out in your mind enough to want to buy it? What type of geocoin has become less interesting, or redundant to you? Remember, this is an open discussion, so speak your mind freely. But please...there should be no offense given or taken here, because we're trying to all learn something useful. It's okay to be a little negative, but we ARE looking for positive answers to what keeps things interesting and lively to collectors.

Thanks again for everything, now let's talk about...the FUTURE!!!

Yime

It's been a while since we had a good coin discussion in the forums - yeah! Or maybe I've just missed them, as I nearly missed this one...

To start with, I'd like to address - in my very humble opinion, of course - the direction of geocoins. I believe they have already "evolved" from geocaching trackable to collectable. None of us really savor our dog tags because of a neat tracking number or because there are a variety out there. Also, many people purchase geocoins who do not cache or cache very infrequently. With these two points, I would venture that their appeal is already beyond geocaching. That being said, I have often wondered if non-trackables that have a hole or something available to attach a dog tag or a chain or something is the "next frontier" for geocoins. It would be interesting to get some rought statistics of the number of geocoins minted, sold, and then activated, and for the activated coins, how many are truly travelling and how many just frequent events?

Philosophically, I'm not sure three mega-events means the hobby is "growing up." It is definitely changing, and there are certainly multiple opinions out there on whether or not the changes are good, bad, or just plain ugly. I'm interested to see where the future of geocoins lies, but honestly I like finding them in caches more than receiving them in the mail!

One unfortunate fact about geocoins is the pre-sales that never turn out a product, OR that turn out a product too late. I recognize that this is the result of a few sour apples spoiling the bushel for everyone, but the reality is that these few occurrences are negatively influencing pre-sales for everyone. There has already been discussion in the forums regarding the validity and risks of pre-sales, so I'll not beat a dead horse. But I believe it IS something for designers and minters, who are trying to maintain a business of some sorts with geocoins and geocoin design, to remedy and lead by example.

As for the future of geocoins and what makes me interested in spending my meager student dollars on a geocoin? I can answer that for me and me alone! Here are a few that come to mind in no particular order:

1) Translucent enamel. It just gives coins an entirely differently look that appeals to me more than the other enamels. Granted, it won't work for everything or on every metal, but there are lots of examples out there using translucents that I'm sure we forum visitors could generate a long list in short order... And I'll add "glow" enamel in here. There are probably lots of applications beyond moons and stars, and I really like that the coin does something else!

2) More "artsy" and less "cutesy". Again, this is just my opinion, but coins with designs that look more like the Sunday comics have never had much appeal for me, nor do they cause any kind of "visceral" reaction that makes me think, "I don't know why but this needs to be in my collection." I just think if designers can come up with something that has a timeless quality about it, rather than silly, then these coins might be more coveted or desirable than others.

3) Creativity! I mean in the mechanics of the coin. Hinges, really thick designs, or something else that seems to give the coin a "function" along with a quality to be admired. Naturally, these will be more expensive, but not always. The Man vs. Cache with the firestriker seems to be a simple enough idea, but SO fabulous that we all wondered why it hadn't been thought of before!

Geocoin qualities that I'm "bored" with or that have lost appeal for me? Again, only my opinion and in no particular order:

1) Gemstones. Just not for me, AND they don't usually have the longevity that the coins have when moving from cache to cache. (Yeah, I release a few...)

2) Excessive versions. My best example here is the Tranquility coins. It is a great design, and I'm keeping ONE. However, 20+ versions with only changes in color and metal just seems a bit much. Unfortunately, I don't have a number to offer that is an "acceptable" number of versions vs "excessive." However, I will offer that if the versions of a coin are different enough, meaning a nice combination of different colors, metals, metal textures, design features, and the like, might make for a nice series of coins.

Thanks for the discussion! Looking forward to reading more like this!

In the dictionary Bump is.. if you hit your head somewhere... at the excact spot of the hit a bump is created!

So.... ????

OHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh Come on now Gatoulis,

Your much smarter than that. LOL!!!

Think About it!!!!

Opalsns

Yikes! Where's my post? I swear I posted the winner a few weeks ago, but it sure ain't here now is it? No wonder I never heard from anyone! I'm sorry I hung "all yinz" out to dry!

***Edit to add, Hah, here's my friggin issue right here!

PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 45 seconds exceeded in

E:\Inetpub\forums\GC\ips_kernel\class_db_mysql.php on line 457

I get forum time-outs all the time from this old Mac, so blah, this sucks. Now posting from the family computer.

Anyways, I had this long winded diatribe in response to many of the thoughts in this thread, but blah...gonzo. Anyways, forget that for now, I'll get to the winner right away.

By the power vested in my by Random.org's random number generator, I input the cointest range of 150 to 223 and got...

rndmct2.jpg

Post #164

Ashallond!!!

Congratulations to Ashallond, albeit belated. If you're still there, please send me your address. I'll also contact you through GC.com.

Thoughts to follow...again.

So.... ????

OHHHHHhhhhhhhhhh Come on now Gatoulis,

Your much smarter than that. LOL!!!

Think About it!!!!

Opalsns

Well... what comes to my mind is: Bring Up My Post.... but... something doesn't.... well.. My post???

Congrats Ashllond !!!! Woo Hoooooooo!!

Yime, you may want to check the dates that Ashllond won't be able to get mail.

It's on the 52 pick up mission Thread.

Great Cointest, Loved all the ideas.

I believe every designers geocoins are Artistic And should beCollected When affordable to the collector.

Opalsns

Congrats Ashllond !!!! Woo Hoooooooo!!

Yime, you may want to check the dates that Ashllond won't be able to get mail.

It's on the 52 pick up mission Thread.

Great Cointest, Loved all the ideas.

I believe every designers geocoins are Artistic And should beCollected When affordable to the collector.

Opalsns

Thanks for that info, Opalsns. It'll be here waiting until I hear from Ashallond.

*sputter*

I had to read the email THREE TIMES to be sure that what I read was actually true.

Then I did the happy dance.

I've already replied to the email, that I can receive mail to my mailing address, if it's sent this week. I'll be at the school through the 18th. Then for 2 weeks I get rid of all the children and get to sort of relax for 2 weeks, plan a few family visits, hope for one warmish day so I can go caching in E-town and Bardstown, KY when I visit the inlaws (if it works out, I can do 6 cache types in a day up there from what I have planned)

so if it'll be sent out later than the 18th, I can give a second address so it doesn't sit in a post off for two weeks.

I'm still stunned. Also, it's my first Yime! whee!!!!!!

And for those of you who wonder, it's pronounced ash-a-lond. Old gaming name I used to have. Long story.

~Ash

of course when I get the coin...I have a big decision.....activate it for the icon (is there a red icon, or is it still the green icon) or keep it unactivated....

decisions.....

Heya Ashallond, just a quick note to say I got your email, and will be sending out your coin on Monday. The icon will be the standard green one, but I can send you some neat artwork to put on the coin's page if you like.

Cheers!

Yime

*sputter*

I had to read the email THREE TIMES to be sure that what I read was actually true.

Then I did the happy dance.

I've already replied to the email, that I can receive mail to my mailing address, if it's sent this week. I'll be at the school through the 18th. Then for 2 weeks I get rid of all the children and get to sort of relax for 2 weeks, plan a few family visits, hope for one warmish day so I can go caching in E-town and Bardstown, KY when I visit the inlaws (if it works out, I can do 6 cache types in a day up there from what I have planned)

so if it'll be sent out later than the 18th, I can give a second address so it doesn't sit in a post off for two weeks.

I'm still stunned. Also, it's my first Yime! whee!!!!!!

And for those of you who wonder, it's pronounced ash-a-lond. Old gaming name I used to have. Long story.

~Ash

Congrats Ashallond!

There's a first 'yime' for everything! :D

Go easy on him...it's his first 'Yime' :laughing:

of course when I get the coin...I have a big decision.....activate it for the icon (is there a red icon, or is it still the green icon) or keep it unactivated....

decisions.....

Don't Activate it !!!!!!!!

Imagine how much you will get for it in a year or two !!!!

Put it away for that, ....

OH MY GOSH, I have sudden bills and no way to pay them!!!!!!!!

JMHO

Opalsns