YemonYime V3 ~ Savor The Citrus!

YemonYime

After a week of recovery and PayPal ridiculosity, it's time for me to officially say:

THANK YOU!!!

...to everyone here in this thread, and to everyone who stopped by the Yemonade Stand at GCF'09.

Your enthusiasm, humor and support help keep the creative juices pumping here in Yimerica! For those of you who stopped by, I sincerely appreciate your patronage...GCF was absolutely crazy when the doors opened! And for those of you who could not make it to GCF, I also am also very thankful for your kind words and for playing along with my off-the-wall antics here in the forums. You all make the details worth detailing!

Lots of memories made that weekend in Utah, so where to begin? A big shout-out to Cache-U-Nuts for pulling off a great event. The planning and execution were amazing, and everyone had a great time. Bravo! and thank you for all of your hard work. It was a great honor to meet some fellow designers and vendors. I got a chance to finally chat with folks from the Geocoinstore, CacheAddict, Hogwild Stuff, USAGeocoins, Oakcoins, Landsharkz, Zelanzy, and oh yeah...that Tsun chick! I apologize for not being able to spend more time speaking with others...like I said, it was crazy in our corner!

Not quite sure how I placed 5th in the Geocoin Poker Tourney, but I suppose even a blind squirrel can find a nut. Hadn't played at all since last year's event, so maybe I should actually practice, huh? Well, I'll certainly look forward to seeing GCF'10 develop, and I hope to be able to make it to Minnesota to do it all again. The Geocoinfest tradition is in good hands with the new committee!

So, in honor of my frequent "propaganda" here in the forums, and as a special спасибо (spasibo) to everyone who "red" through this thread...I'd like to offer up one very special coin to everyone via communis...uhm, cointest. It's a variant that I didn't make many of, (21 to be exact) and won't be distributing much. It's a little something I like to call: TH3 R3D YIM3

revoltus.jpg

For the cointest, let's open up a discussion that will be useful feedback for all potential coinmakers and designers. Let's hear what you (as collectors) are hoping to see in the future of geocoins. Is it time for a "revolution" in the hobby, or are we headed in the right direction? Is it time to get back to "old school" traditional thinking, or are we witnessing the inevitable evolution of geocoins into more than an instrument of geocaching? After three Mega-Events that celebrate these irresistible pieces of metal, is our "little hobby" finally growing up?

I'm doing this because I would really like to see where you think this is all heading. What's the future got in store for our metallic affections? What draws you most to any new geocoin being offered here, or anywhere in the market for that matter? What makes a design stand out in your mind enough to want to buy it? What type of geocoin has become less interesting, or redundant to you? Remember, this is an open discussion, so speak your mind freely. But please...there should be no offense given or taken here, because we're trying to all learn something useful. It's okay to be a little negative, but we ARE looking for positive answers to what keeps things interesting and lively to collectors.

Keep in mind, this doesn't need to relate to me, or "YemonYime" in any way whatsover. There's no brownie points awarded this time around. I'll be using the random generator again, but I honestly do wish to drum up some sincere thoughts on this topic. I'll try my best to weed out entries with no substance to the subject matter.

Thanks again for everything, now let's talk about...the FUTURE!!!

Yime

this is a beautiful coin. i got a peek at it at gcf..

i will have to think about where i want coins to go.

"Let's hear what you (as collectors) are hoping to see in the future of geocoins. Is it time for a "revolution" in the hobby, or are we headed in the right direction? Is it time to get back to "old school" traditional thinking, or are we witnessing the inevitable evolution of geocoins into more than an instrument of geocaching? After three Mega-Events that celebrate these irresistible pieces of metal, is our "little hobby" finally growing up?

What's the future got in store for our metallic affections? What draws you most to any new geocoin being offered here, or anywhere in the market for that matter? What makes a design stand out in your mind enough to want to buy it? What type of geocoin has become less interesting, or redundant to you?"

----------------------------------

To answer and not to ramble....

I first noticed geocoins while geocaching. They instantly reminded me of military challenge coins I saw during my active duty years. I liked those coins for their play upon historical emblems and sometimes use of off-kilter humor. I did not enjoy collecting them while in service due to personal distaste towards some methods used by some soldiers that did collect them (Let me note, I have no objection to those coins which are earned by service, but those that are received in other manners --- but I digress).

So when I first found geocoins, I thought, what great swag. WRONG I was, as all the coins I found were activated travelers. I then started taking notice of FTF awards. Seeing FTF coins for sale on the internet, I thought this might be a way to get my hands on some of the nifty coins I had seen floating about. However, most FTF awards in my area were at urban micros and consisted of a small amount of cash or just being able to claim FTF. So I bought a few coins. Then I bought a few more with the intention of placing them in caches as prizes. I have done this, and sometimes leave coins as swag, but my purchase of coins and ideas in my head for cache placement quickly outpaced the number of caches I actually placed (very few if you check my profile). That is how I wound up with a geocoin collection.

I am relatively new to this, but I see no need for a revolution. So put down the hammers and sickles. What draws me to coins I purchase: A clever use of shape/color/finish. Moving parts. Something unique. An artist's style I enjoy and can trace through several coin designs --- even those coins that may not be directly related. Nostalgia (I bought a coin at GCF that reminds me of watching a certain TV show as a kid).

I enjoy the concept of a personal coin as a signature item, and like to see that cachers minting personals seem to be moving away from a plain round/"caching since..." formula (I guess these are the ones that sometimes seem redundant to me). But as long as the personal speaks to its maker, I think that is what matters.

I have seen the arguments about what makes a geocoin. I think if it is a coin mostly sold/traded/circulated through this community and geocachers in general - then it is a geocoin. You can make a smartly designed untrackable coin with no references to geocaching - but if the majority of people interested in it are geocachers/geocoiners - I would call it a geocoin. Now, I have no idea who purchased Tatanka coins (besides me), but this could be an example.

So in the end, I seem to be happy with where things are at. I hope to create a personal coin someday... I also hope to place more coins out there for those like myself, that are hopeful for finding an unactivated coin while caching (here is a log excerpt from a finder of one of my caches: "I met with owner yesterday to collect the prized geocoin, tranquility, for being FTF. This geocoin is exceptional. One side is an image of the earth listing all the continents. The other side is certainly a tranquility statement."). I think it is part of our human nature to enjoy "winning" something, like a nicely designed coin. And I'm sure, the shiny objects will continue to catch my eye and siphon from my pocketbook.

I'm not sure where geocoins are going but i've always wanted to say, i can't believe how far they've come! Kind of parallels the sport that created them i think, and it's amazing popularity. :) Pretty special part of caching, as if it weren't special enough.

ps-we are attracted to coins that have a flow of design and color, between/including both front and back. It's been so much fun to see the beautiful, creative designs produced by this community, thanks!

pps-GREAT yime!

Edited by julia51:)

I suppose, being as I am very new to all this, I would like to see the future of geocoins conform to my preferences. :)

I like round, but am leaning more towards shaped coins. I like colors, on both sides. I like 3D on at least one side.

I do not like dated or overly personalized coins as much as those coins lacking these qualities.

In general, 'commemorative' coins, such as Geowoodstock and other events, seem elitest (for the attendees) or pretencious (for the wannabes.)

I am finding it difficult to find differences between the 537 'different' Compass Rose coins out there.

Sorry, I guess I was mor descriptive of my preferred non-future than you wanted.

BTW, I couldn't design my way out of a wet logsheet.

Edited by Minimike2

I like round geocoins best, 1 and a half to 1 and 3/4 inches in diameter. My quest is to collect older coins, particularly Canadian, and coins with intricate designs. I don't much care for 95% of the coins being produced today. Everyone is different in their collecting interests. So be it. :) I am glad that from the get-go, I stayed focused and did not start buying everything in sight.

Hmmm...where to start?

I have to say that there has been such a HUGE variety of geocoins released in the year and a half since I started collecting. Everything from whimsical to artistic, from humourous to serious, from caching related to ??? what the hay is that?? lol!

I guess I really hope that the direction of geocoins -- or at least the direction of some designers -- stays headed towards designs that create unity in geocaching. Excuse my fuzzy feelings here but I am drawn to (well-executed) concepts that depict togetherness of different people across the world (event or group coins come to mind in addition to general themes), importance of cherishing nature and protecting our world, themes of friendship, kindness and helping others, plus coins that highlight the fun of geocaching - the beauty of the adventure - the cohesiveness of a team or family.

As a side note, I do hope that the variety of coins continues as well. We all need some humour, something to remind us of our past (childhood, trips, special events, people), or just something that makes us say, HEY COOL!

I won't go into detail about what I specifically look for in a coin as I ponder whether to add it to my collection or not. It is such an individual thing -- I really like certain colour combos and types of glitter and translucents (the colour scheme is important to me) but not everyone feels the same way.

That took me a lot longer to write than I thought actually so I hope it was clear.

And I have to say, I do enjoy your "off-the-wall antics" YY. I find myself muttering, "what is he up to now?" as I open up threads/posts authored by you. lol! Perhaps I will have a chance to meet you one day in person (you never know).

Looking forward to keeping an eye on this thread and seeing what others say...

I'm new to geocoins, I only own about 15 of them, and my wife isn't happy with me buying anymore... So I have to be very picky with the ones I do end up buying. I enjoy shaped coins more than round, although a nice round with a unique design is no laughing matter! I don't like coins with alot of writing on them, I'd rather have eye catching colors and mesmerizing patterns...

I'm trying to come up with an idea for a personal coin for myself, but I'm about as creative as a brick buried in a bucket of concrete. We'll see....

Man, that's a hard question to answer. There are so many good things about them...

As a collector, I love earthy collors and nice graphics. Not necessarily flashy, but well defined. However too many coins are now dealing with non-caching topics. I'd like to see a return to caching-rlated geocoins. I know, this sort of limits people's creativity, but you asked...

This, of course, does not include personal coins. I think the best still deal with caching or some aspect of it, but it's your coin (and if i don't have it, I'll trade for it regardless - just ask YY!).

My $.02

Hmm, well I'm new to this geocoin game. I love seeing all of the coins, but I've found that personal coins really don't interest me.

....unless it's well made...you know, clean lines, bright colors, cool designs.

However, I've noticed that I've liked the coins that fit my hobbies, that commemorate something interesting from a different country or part of the US I am not aware of, of is just stunningly beautiful.

That being said, any coins dealing with astronomy, artwork, numbers, clean shapes, celtic lines, and well, hmm, anything nifty looking is ok with me.

I'd love to make a coin myself, and I've talked to a few companies (well, that is when I get an email back from them, as TWO companies that have established websites an pre-sales have yet to contact me back in a month) and I've come to realize that my inability to draw or manipulate artwork is going to be a big issue for me to be able to make that coin.

I mean, do I go hunting an artist, and hope they don't take the idea themselves to a coin company, or do I submit my crummy art and then get told it won't make the pre-sale requirements, dashing my dreams?

I'm a school teacher, so a pre-sale program would really be the only way that I could participate in this aspect of the game.

So for coins, keep doing what you are doing. I haven't seen a coin yet that has your name on it that I didn't like. vibrant colors, clean lines, cool topics...all awesome. But for that revolution, I'd really like to see possibly a few artists willing to help those of us that are art-handicapped. (and if there are a few, I don't know who they are)

ok, I think I'm done rambling. If I think of anything else, I'll add it.

Well I really love personal coins. They tell a lot about the cacher. Their likes/ dislikes and who they are, what they like to do, etc. I also very much like to trade personal coins.

However the creativity displayed by you, the vendor is astounding. It seems to me that every vendor out there is filling a specific niche in the coining community. Some geocaching themed, some through nature, some through the stars or heavens some whimsical some shaped. You name it, they are thinging about producing it. I too like this because some of the coins you all have produced is absolutely beautiful. So thanks!

I do hope that there will be an even amount of personal coins (be they trackable or non-trackable) and vendor coins continually being produced.

Edited by cache_in_hand

I like seeing the things people are doing to push the boundaries of what geocoins can do.

For instance, the midnight stargazer coin you produced (I apologize if the name is wrong, don't have time to double check!) which had the epoxy coat and then glow in the dark enamel on top of it was such a COOL idea. I also managed to pick up a couple of older washington coins that did something similar with a 3d mountain/epoxy/2d design to give a really cool layered effect.

The suncatcher coins are going in some fun directions as well. The canadian (british columbia I believe) coin with the metal center and outer ring with the suncatcher ring between them was a very cool idea.

The coins with moving parts: the hinged butterflies, moving compasses, etc.

So I guess I love seeing people trying new things and pushing the boundaries of what can be done. I have a pendant I got in Zion that is ...erm iodized? silver. It's blue/purple. Then there is a shiny silver layer on top with a design, so the blue/purple bit is the background color. Then there is a gold dragonfly charm hanging above it. I thought if that could be made into a coin I would go broke buying them all. :)

Now with all this said, I still love more classic designs. I like transluscents with depth, all metal with one bold area of color, multi-layer designs.

Of course in the end, I tend to just buy things that make me say "ooooh pretty!" and that's a lot harder to categorize. :)

I'm not much for the "always bigger, always thicker" race, I like my geocoins holding in the palm of my hands!

A real good geocoin should have something related to geocaching, earth, navigation, treasures, anything related to the hobby in any way. And be trackable.

If it is not, any artistically interesting, intricate design will do the trick for me. Color does not have to be flashy, but nicely matching!

What I'm not a fan of are too clearly patriotic geocoins, or religion-related, or memorials. Something that public should not (in my opinion) be used for propaganda... I don't care, I just won't buy those :) The charity, good-cause, attention-attractors on this or that are borderline, if you can relate to said cause, but I'm not a big fan.

Geocoins should go more the artistic way. Little shiny pieces of art, truly worthy of being collected. My bank account doesn't like this possibility, though!

Oh, and they should definitely be cheaper to produce, so I could mint more!

And on the GeocoinFest side, I think there should be that kind of parties in Europe, too. I feel so left out... but then again, it might be a good thing for my budget :)

Beautiful coin, Yime!

I like personal coins with subtle things on them that mean something to the creator of the coin. Then, hearing the stories behind the coins. I also like coins that depict or honor a specific place. For these reasons, one of my favorite coins is one that I got from ELTADA. (Out on the Water, Caching By Boat). She has her name on one side (Echo Lima Tango Alpha Delta Alpha) and a map of the area near her cottage, and on the front is a loose depiction of caching by boat (including a boat similar to her father's). On the map is the GC code for several caches that are important to her. In my mind, this was a great way to make a coin personal without cluttering it too much. NICE job!!

thanks SgtMikal for your kind words... :)

My pleasure. I really do love that coin! Yours was only the third coin I ever owned. Even though I have gotten a few more coins in my collection since then, this one still ranks right up towards the top of my preference list.

I feel like some people "over-design" some coins. I have seen some that to me just seem too busy. It's like they cram stuff in there just to have stuff in there. Other coins that have lots of "stuff" on them still look good, like the Celtic Tree of Life coins or the Tengwars, for example. But to me, yours is truly beautiful in its design, its simplicity, AND its meaning.

Edited by SgtMikal

I like to see new ideas and concepts come to life in coin form. I like to see how we can push the boundaries. As examples, I like coins with moving parts, special materials, special features, layers, cutouts, suncatchers, etc.

But at the same time, the design has to be clean and appealing and artistic and colorful. And it has to fit in a small size and be durable. And they have to be priced reasonably. I like both shaped and round coins, it depends on what they are trying to depict.

I like personals, but for personals, I want to interact with that person directly. That is what makes them personal and special. I actually like commercial coins - they are easier/fairer to obtain with no obligation (besides cash) on my part. See a design, buy it if you want. With these, I am going to pick things that interest me. (Personals area about YOU, commercial is about ME).

With that said, I have ideas in my head ... one is a personal idea (and it is round); one is a commercial idea (also round); one is just a cool idea (shaped and moving). Too bad I'm not artistic enough to really make them happen.

tough question, thanks for the chance to win a special version!,

i would like to see more inventave coins, coins no one has thought possible to make, i love to see the new ideas, like the 5th compass has a actual compass in it for example. i think us as designers are pushed to a new level of understanding when this happends. i like to see creative ideas consering geocoins

for me i like a well put togeather design, and uniqueness. i look for elegant style coins, tho i think the celtic has been a bit over done. i still like them tho. :)

Thanks for this cointest.

Coins should just continue on there merry way!!!!

Really, There are so many folks who collect different coins for different reasons and we need to keep everone in the game.

I was once told by someone that they didn't like my coin and only had coins she didn't like because someone gave them to her. As Rude and Ignorant as she was, she did make a point.

Some folks just won't like a certain coin. But they still want a coin.

So we need to keep everyone happy and in the game!!!

Highly Collectable

Enough Available

Non - Trackables

and my All time fav .....

PERSONALS !!!!!!!!!

Opalsns

Like others, I have been collecting some of the older coins recently. I like the simple designs that were more common then. Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying that I dont like were coin design is going. I still like the new coins and the different shapes. I like to see all the little details that are thought of when the design is created and produced.

revoltus.jpg

For the cointest, let's open up a discussion that will be useful feedback for all potential coinmakers and designers. Let's hear what you (as collectors) are hoping to see in the future of geocoins. Is it time for a "revolution" in the hobby, or are we headed in the right direction? Is it time to get back to "old school" traditional thinking, or are we witnessing the inevitable evolution of geocoins into more than an instrument of geocaching? After three Mega-Events that celebrate these irresistible pieces of metal, is our "little hobby" finally growing up?

I'm doing this because I would really like to see where you think this is all heading. What's the future got in store for our metallic affections? What draws you most to any new geocoin being offered here, or anywhere in the market for that matter? What makes a design stand out in your mind enough to want to buy it? What type of geocoin has become less interesting, or redundant to you? Remember, this is an open discussion, so speak your mind freely. But please...there should be no offense given or taken here, because we're trying to all learn something useful. It's okay to be a little negative, but we ARE looking for positive answers to what keeps things interesting and lively to collectors.

Keep in mind, this doesn't need to relate to me, or "YemonYime" in any way whatsover. There's no brownie points awarded this time around. I'll be using the random generator again, but I honestly do wish to drum up some sincere thoughts on this topic. I'll try my best to weed out entries with no substance to the subject matter.

Yime

I think everything is headed in the right direction. I don't think we should go back to "old school." It's not like us humans would go back to primitive ways of doing things.

I like a really good design. I like detail. I also like coins that you can tell the designer has put a lot of hard work into making it perfect.

I'm not big on state coins, country coins, religious coins, any coin with an agenda, or poorly designed coins.

I don't know about how thoughts like mine will affect the future of what is produced but it does affect my buying habits. My collection has a huge diversity. It contains a lot of coins I merely like but there are a fair number of them that I truly love for one reason or another. Here are some of the reasons why.

I don't really have a preference for size/shape of coin or color/all metal (although I'm not usually a huge fan of glitter/glow). What I do find myself most drawn to are coins with a deeper message, whether that is brought about in the design itself, the story behind the coin, or the saying on the coin. I haven't been collecting coins that long but one of my very first coin purchases was the Family Suncatcher. The design on that coin wasn't my favorite but the saying on it really spoke to me and that made it a must have. Kathy's Coin was one that had a very touching meaning without it being explained on the coin itself. I'm not generally "into" the whole oriental symbolism thing but on this particular coin it had so much meaning that it was another must have. Alternately, there have been a few really cool looking coins that I didn't care for the saying that was on them and I just can't bring myself to add one to my collection. There's even one out there that I love everything except the font used and because of that I won't buy it either. :laughing:

Sometimes it's the feel of a particular coin. I was out caching one day and ran across a Good Karma Bad Karma coin in a cache. I pulled it out of the flip to look at it closer and as soon as I did I knew I had to have one of those in my collection. The coin should have felt no different than any other 1.75" round coin but for some reason it did. I spent the next 2 months trying to find one! Another one that affected me this way was the 5th Anniversary Compass Rose. I didn't order one but a friend of mine did. When he got it he wasn't thrilled but he brought it over to show me. I took it out of the box and as soon as it hit my hand I told him I wanted it. I recently traded for another version of it and was affected the same way.

Sometimes a coin will bring back a fond memory. Guardians of the Night was announced shortly after I had an experience with an owl watching me hunt for a cache. The memory was so peaceful (even though I DNF'd the cache!) that the coin was a must have. I love all coins with trains because trains make me think of my grandpa. I've always loved horses and aviation so those themes appeal to me too. Sometimes even I can't explain why I'm drawn to a particular coin.

For the most part I'm less drawn to personal coins. They can be neat and I do have some but unless I know the person who created them it's just a name. Like everyone else, I do have my favorite designers but even there I won't add a coin to my collection just because it was designed by a certain person.

As for where I think/hope the future of geocoins is headed, I don't know. I like that this hobby has so much variation and truly allows people to be as creative as they want.

I started relatively early this year in geocaching. At first our area was devoid of coins (or so it seemed to me), but as I continued caching I came to find and admire geocoins as movable art. It didn't matter if the artwork on the coin was polished and professional or more amateur in nature.

Currently I enjoy collecting all types of geocoins. I have some of the older non trackables (I especially like the group coins such as the nerds v1, MWGB chicks, etc.) as well as the artistic (Tenwar, Tsun's Earth Turtle) and personal coins (Atlantagal's 777 coin, Gelugon's Cache the Dragon).

The best thing that I like about geocoins is that for the most part every single instance of finding, trading, or buying a geocoin is a meaningful transaction. I enjoy finding and sharing coins in caches as part of getting to know the geocaching community. Trading coins gives me insight into others personalities and likes. Buying is a joy as I usually purchase coins that have some sort of meaning for myself rather than just because it is a rare item.

The new revolution in geocoins is great as it allows for more expression. I still like the older coins but the new coins (spinners, firestarters, hinged, 3D, coin minting advances, etc) I think can come closer to what the designer wanted to share with the world. I generally look for a combination of artwork design, idea behind the coin, and meaning to myself. Some of the popular coins don't appeal to me personally but I can see where others would (Sort of like having a favorite Football team). I really haven't run across a geocoin produced for truly commercial purposes yet even if the current collectible nature of today's geocoins are making them so.

All in all I admire those who delve into their psyche enough to produce a geocoin and hope to join their ranks in the near future.

I would like to thank you for making coins that fit in my collection. :laughing: Then, what would I like to see from geocoins in the future?

Well, I do collect coins shaped as food/beverage an shaped as animals so ofcourse I would like to see that kind of coins.

I also like personalcoins that somehow has a connection, a story to tell, from the maker.

But I also can imagine myself to like the "new" within trackables. I mean these "things" that are made trackable, like Signal, the figurine and the geogem.

grodan Karin

I guess it isn't any secret that I REALLY enjoy the "SHAPED" coins, Colorful and meaningful.

It helps that it is geocaching related but sometimes, coins are made to mimic the cacher's geoname and that is quite Alright :blink: . AS long as there is a story and meaning behind ( and icon :laughing::P ) The beauty is in the eye of the maker who sincerely hopes that the buyers will also agree.

I know that IF I were to make a coin, it would reflect my name (maybe).

I like the direction geocoins are taking. It seems like we're pushing past the conventions imposed on us by monetary coins (circular, single tone finishes, no colours) and starting to make geocoins into real works of art.

A few examples of specific things I liked in certain coins:

- I like the custom color options for the PURE Color travel edition coins

- I love the transparent enamel poured over the 3d art work on the Project GAME coins

- the pearlescent enamel on the Landsharkz personal coin

- Unusual shapes. You could tell a Yime even if you were blindfolded.

Things I would like to see:

- Different materials, like with the crystal compass roses or the geogems.

-Maybe coloured enamel onto (or into?) a clear "coin"? (hmm, Like the glass turtles I guess, in retrospect)

- An electronic coin. With a watch cell I'm sure someone could make something that lights up. Or makes obnoxious sounds :laughing:

- A one piece sun catcher coin. I'm not a fan of the 2 piece construction I keep seeing

- An end to the "thicker is better" trend. It really isn't

Maybe some of these things already exist; Unfortunately I don't get to see as many coins as I would like.

As for what makes a coin appeal to me. Hmm. That's sort of like asking what makes a painting good. Craftsmanship counts for any product I buy, but that really doesn't have anything to do with design. I guess it's a bit of an impossible question.

*snip*

Of course in the end, I tend to just buy things that make me say "ooooh pretty!" and that's a lot harder to categorize. :)

True, how true.

*snip*(Personals are about YOU, commercial is about ME).

*snip*

This is so very true. People have maligned "commercial" coins before, but it seems like people's definitions tends to be: "If I like it then it is a relevant subject for Geocoins, otherwise it's a commercial coin, and that's BAD!!!" No it isn't. We all like our shinys just a little different than the next guy does, and that's ok. Not every coin is done for a wide audience. The quote below captures this point well...

i think we should continue to let the process evolve...

as opalsns said there are so many people with so many tastes that it is already hard to make eveyone happy. if the coins get too specific then many people will not one.

Taste is a fickle thing.

I like series Geocoins (Compass Roses, all-in-one, evil micros and Kansas Sunflowers to name a few) but do not care for endless variations (I think the Compass Roses have been guilty of this). I like shaped coins, I like coins featuring frogs and sealife. I like micro coins. It takes some talent to turn out a clean, nice-looking coin on such a small chunk of metal.

The biggest change I would like to see is the end of "limited editions". There are a number of fantastic coins I would love to have in my collection, but they have all been snapped up. I'd rather pay the coin maker than someone on eBay for the coin. But eventually, that seller on eBay gets my money.

The red Yime looks awesome. I'd love to have one.

But short of the random number generator smiling on me I don't think I ever will. :o

...now I've gone and depressed myself.

The biggest change I would like to see is the end of "limited editions". There are a number of fantastic coins I would love to have in my collection, but they have all been snapped up. I'd rather pay the coin maker than someone on eBay for the coin. But eventually, that seller on eBay gets my money.

Gosh that was well said, our thoughts exactly, thank you. :o

Not entering the cointest but the collector in me is replying now :D

There were a couple people who mentioned (paraphrasing now) that no changes were needed. Just let what happens, happens.

I'm in line with that.

People like what they like and they know it when they see it. I think the designers/vendors should do what they enjoy doing without trying to please everyone since we know it can't be done.

I think there is plenty of diversity for everyone to get a little something they like that I've seen. If there are those that don't feel something is being well represented or think everything has been done before, than I challenge them to do the designing, there's plenty of room for designers to try their hand at it :o

I've seen some very creative "coins" lately, fancy moving parts and pieces that as a collector I think are impressive but I don't really view them as traditional geocoins but maybe more novelty trackable items with some coin flare :) I'm personally not into all the gadgety coins but I do love seeing them and seeing how much these "coins" can pushed to the limits. I loved the MOGA pistol coin but for personal reasons otherwise I probably wouldn't have collected it.

My point being is that let things develop naturally and as designers put out coins it breeds imagination and ideas. It pushes the limits, imagination and creativity and I love seeing that even if I personally don't collect certain coins.

I figure if the designer is designing what they love, someone else is going to see something they love about it too. Some designers are going to push the limits and people will love that, some people are going to stay more traditional and people will love that and other designers will be somewhere in the middle and people will love that. Lots of choices and everyone is happy :D

If you don't like the route geocoins have gone, well you know where the door is :laughing:

I just love seeing what people come up with even if I don't like it on a personal level, I still see value in the design. Do what you love, love what you do :laughing:

I just want to add a little bit of Off Topic chatter for a sec... at GCF, I took a few minutes after closing up shop and walked around briefly and looked at vendor tables and at coins. I was really surprised at what I saw on the tables that looked SO much better in person than what shows in pictures. I could feel that desire to start wanting alot of what I saw but I was smart enough to just take mental notes for possible trades down the road.

As a collector let me just say "thanks" for all the efforts.

(I love animal/nature themed and shaped coins but I'm pretty sure that's pretty obvious by now :))

Edited by tsunrisebey

oh, how interesting. I got so wrapped up in reading everyone's responses that I forgot this was a cointest....

As I peer into the crystal ball of geocoins past, present and future I am disenchanted by what I see:

TOO MANY COINS JUST MADE FOR PROFIT...

I would like to see more personals as I prefer my collection to have some meaning other than just "chunks of metal coated with lead based paint" (derschlings)

And, yes even though I have not been a collector from the beginning of time...I like it old skool.

THE PAST

I personally hate it when a beautiful coin design is repeatedly used, I am not one of those who has to have the 'whole collection' for example, the tranquility coin.. It was one of my favorite coins too.

I also don't like it when a previously used design is made into a new shape but remains otherwise unchanged. This has happened recently...

And one more thing, wow! I must be an old timer, I forgot what I was going to say. :)

Oh, yeah....I even get tired of a series if the coins aren't varied enough....take the Australia coin for example. Widely sought after (and yes I pre ordered the 2009) but time to change the design! It's worked so far, everyone is 'comfortable' with it, but to me...that map side is the same old story and I feel gipped like I am buying two sides but getting one! Change it up a bit, there's no rule that says it has to be the same every year...I WANT A SHAPED AUSTRALIA COIN!!! Hmm, maybe I should do one? :)

OK, thanks for that I needed to get that out there. Now back to my crystal ball....

THE PRESENT

I am very happy with the recent influx of personals...darkonyx, vanelle, ECplus3, turlutortue, and suckerish to name a few...

I love coins with fruit ( :o ) , insects, animals, environment, technology (if it's caching related), traveling related/place related or geo event related.

I am surprised that in these times of economic upheaval coin collecting and manufacturing is still going strong.

THE FUTURE...

Hard to say, I ain't no pysychic....just an opinionated ____ who needs to get out there and get caching!

Cheers!~

Thank you Tsun, Six Little Spookies and many above, I think that the geocoin future is heading where it heads. The designer has to design what they like or feel or whatever motives them to make that coin. They need to be true to themselves, now as a buyer, we are a tickled bunch aren’t we :)

One moment the coins you produce fly out of your hands, the next time it’s like pulling teeth. One important lesson I had learned from collecting is – buy what you like, not what you think will make you money in the future. By the time the future has rolled around everyone is on a new craze and your left holding what you bought. I was reminded of this from my wife and I told her when the time comes I’m either going to release all the coins or take them with me :o

So the question begs, is there a revolution – IMHO – no, there is an evolution that is happening, designers pushing limits of the manufacturer and that’s good. Are we heading in the right direction – who knows, was there a direction in the first place or was it for the love of finding a shiny bobble in a hidden spot (we’re all kids when we play this game) which answers are we growing up, yah right, we or should I say some would like to think we are and I would say, so you walk, drive or do whatever you have too to find Tupperware, with possible shiny metal or items in them, that’s grown up? :)

I like what we do, I enjoy collecting and sometimes I will trade an item that I like for something I like more or wish to share with others. That makes me feel young once again; it reminds me of the days of my youth when trading cards and looked for treasures with my best friends was the ultimate :D

I guess I haven’t grown up at all.

I haven't been into this long, so I could be way off base. But I did go to film school, do a bit of photography work and have a small screen printing business dealing with record labels and gig posters, so I see good art and bad art. Which is where I hope it heads. People spending time on their art and selling out of coins. Art people want to see and hold and feel. I know this isn't good for geocoins in general since if something is nice enough, it sure ain't gonna see any ammo cans. But on the other hand, do the fancy materials, push the boundaries of the geocoin makers, but do the simple versions, keep 'em cheap and do lots of them for the people who still release these things into the wild. Do a thousand of them and remint them. But do the nice ones to fund the not fancy versions and the new projects. I see a ton of these geocoins that just don't seem to show any love or dedication behind them, well, I think they all have that, just from the outside from someone who appreciates something that looks good, well....

I'd also love to see more fun and games behind these. If I ever do a coin, I'd love to do a special mint and the only way to get it is to find it, out in the wild. I'd leave it behind in my favorite caches or some of my new ones and it would be a run of 50 at least.

I think the only thing I already don't like is people doing a mint of 25 or less and doing it, JUST to make money off of it. I know times are tough and you want to do do new projects or whatever, it's just rough on the people who actually like to collect coins, especially complete collections. I see this all the time in record collecting and it's frustrating and a stab at collectors in my opinion. Though I suppose if I was in the position, it might be a lot easier to do then not, lol.

Amazing looking coin!

Very new to the geocoin side of the game with a staggering 1 coin moved on my resume.

BUT!, My inital impression is that the advancement of coining techniques and design est.. is clealry a double edged sword.

I know just from shoping around for a few coins to get my collection going I look at these like "showpiece" type coins and the 1st thing that comes to mind is "Well Im not going to stick that out there somewhere look how kick a** that is Ima keep that one" (These coins are so nice there put in protective sleaves!) and to that effect "Well how about i just get 2 one to hold onto and one to put out there".

However I get the whole idea of making coins look attractive enough that people would want to buy them nobody wants to put money into anything that sucks. However from a fairly objective (and green) perspective I'd like to see more ruggid style geocoins that focus more on the functionality of the coins. Coins that could so be hardcore durable I can just let it clank into the bottem of an ammo can w/o a sleave and just forget about it.

Which by no means is to say lets make some "ugly chucks of metal the will be cheaper last longer and will be less likely to get stolen casue...there ugly" lol . But Id like to see a the functionality of the coins advance as far and the art obviously has.

Some of the Ugliest Chunks of metal are highly sought after, LOL!

I have one, It's a washer . It's trackable! And It was a fun cointest.

It may not be worth much but I won't give it up!!!

I like when the picture on a coin Bursts out of the center or hangs a hand out of the frame, like an overlap.

And I kinda like when there is alot on a coin to look at. Little hidden under the enamel icons etc.

Opalsns

revoltus.jpg

Yime

I think everything is headed in the right direction. I don't think we should go back to "old school." It's not like us humans would go back to primitive ways of doing things.

I like a really good design. I like detail. I also like coins that you can tell the designer has put a lot of hard work into making it perfect.

I'm not big on state coins, country coins, religious coins, any coin with an agenda, or poorly designed coins.

I myself have always been interested in country-related coins over the showpiece coins. That's not to say that there aren't any artsy coins that have caught my eye. But I like the national/regional coins because I imagine that the designer feels great pride in their homeland and wants to celebrate it with a geocoin. That to me is a lot more important than how many layers of celtic knots or swirly bits they can coax a mint into producing.

I do like a coin with simple clean lines -- I think the Art Deco period produced some of the most spectacular designs in modern history. Coins such as CinemaBoxer's Seize the Day and YY's new v3 coin evoke this simplicity. I don't think it is a regression; I think it is a return to things that still work and still have merit.

And I gotta say, I love that Red Yime poster! I am a big Soviet propaganda buff!

I do not know if the cointest is over... it is probably and once again I missed a yemon yime!!!! Oh boy.... :)

Anyway... I like coins that when I see them I will just love them so much!!!

I like nice clear details, nice design and actually I like to understand what is the coin about, they have a reason and they are not made just for the profit!

Unfortunatelly, my wallet limits are very low especially this year (wthout a job!) so...

Except that, why all this thing with paypal etc??? Why if I do not have a paypal account or a credit card and have cash to find it so fiddicult to buy a coin I like??? This is stopping me buying coins and only if the maker has coin and he takes cash I can take a coin I like.... :)

Even though I've only been into coins for about a year I'm definately addicted. For me I'm not into the 'old school' coins very much-just not what I'm looking for. I really like bright colors, but not so many that the coin looks overwhelming. Its all about numbers, symbols & shapes, but I also like coins that are of a historical nature or tell a story. Anything Celtic is great too. I've found that I'm very attracted to compass roses (of all types) and multi-level designs like Neptune's Compass with covers two of my likes. I know some people don't care for them, but I do really like to buy a coin for an event I've gone too. I do also have a soft spot gnomes and flower, but not animals too much. And finally I obviously really like anything pirate related. I myself don't feel the need to collect every metal of a particular coin and like black nickel, nickel & silver way more then gold or copper (which I don't care for in the most part)

And the people bowed and prayed

To the Goddess Yime had made

And the sign flashed out Steelers

to all the geocoin dealers.

And they were sold to the people

that could make it out to the event

It was heaven sent.

And whispered in the sounds of citrus

Edited by opalsns