What weird thing happened when you were looking for a cache?

bittsen

Last night (or rather early this morning) my caching friend and I were going for a cache along an empty country road a few miles outside of a smaller town. It was just a GRC type cache but getting to it was a little weird.

We had parked a little ways past the cache and were walking back to it at 12:10AM. Flashlights were the only lights around except for a sliver moon and TONS of stars. As we were walking past a drivewaythat was closed off, we noticed a guy in camo that was just "there". There was nothing to do there. There was really no reason why he would be there, he was just there, on a country road after midnight.

What a shock!

We talked to him for a bit. Nice friendly guy who said he was the dad of the kids that placed the cache. He didn't live too far away but not close either.

So as we were driving away we were speculating as to what would entice a person to be standing in a pullout off of an empty country road, dressed in camo at 12:10 at night.

Lots of fun coming up with scenarios...

What weird stuff happened to you while caching?

(P.S. This was a half hour after we had found a cache where there were 20 or so coyotes howling nearby after hearing a distant fire truck)

Edited by bittsen

Sadly, nothing remotely as interesting as that. No aliens, no cammo dressed lurkers, no clowns. I do spit out my fair share of spider webs when I go caching in the dark though. The only time I kinda freaked a little was when I drove out to place the Samuel and Mary cache. I saw a black bear run across the road aways down and there was also fresh bear scat on one of the cemetery markers.

Sadly, nothing remotely as interesting as that. No aliens, no cammo dressed lurkers, no clowns. I do spit out my fair share of spider webs when I go caching in the dark though. The only time I kinda freaked a little was when I drove out to place the Samuel and Mary cache. I saw a black bear run across the road aways down and there was also fresh bear scat on one of the cemetery markers.

I freakin HATE the spider webs around here. The really bad prt of it is you can tell how big the spiders are by the resistance of the web.

I should just say I HATE the spiders here. Hatem HATEM!!!

(BTW, I realized my face was 4 inches from a steroid enhanced garden spider similar to this one)

Araneus_diadematus_1024.jpg

Well thanks Bittsen, for making me pee my pants with that picture. :blink: Now I can't read this thread anymore, :blink: . God, I hate those things too. Voracious little vampires. I have one named Elvira that I let live on my front porch. The rest get pitched into the neighbors yard with a rake. It doesn't seem to matter, they are all back the next day anyway. If I ever found a geocache that had a huge fake spider in it, I would probably keel over with a heart attack.

Did a geocache on the Appalachian Trail one day. Had small children along. As we started down the trail, started smelling something real foul, like a dead animal or something.

Two days later saw a story in the newspaper that a dead body had been found near the trail, the day after we were there. Seems that a man went there to commit suicide 4 days before we were there.

I was glad I didn't find it, not to say if it had been one of the kids. :blink:

No kidding:

I was right next to a graveyard grabbing a cache just after midnight when I noticed a man with a shambling shuffle walking my way, through the graveyard with no flashlight. I almost needed clean shorts. After seeing one too many B rate horror flicks, I wasn't taking any chances. So I took off for my truck, moving pretty fast for a guy my size. I jumped in and took off, rounded a corner and saw a car that flipped in the ditch, steam still coming up from the busted radiator. I stopped and turned around, found the guy and apologized. He had wrecked about 5 minutes before I pulled up, so I dialed 911 to get him help.

(edit grammar)

Edited by Unkle Fester

Well, there's the time we were caching in a remote area and came upon a swarm of LEO looking for a murder victim in the river we were caching near, then there's the time we (my teen son and I) were entering the woods well after dark...as we exited the vehicle and prepared to enter the woods, we noticed a truck go by pretty slowly. As we went deeper into the woods, I noticed a flashlight flanking us, the light went out as soon as I trained my light in that direction. Deeper yet into the very remote woods, I saw the light again, a bit closer and again it disappeared as soon as I trained my light on it.

Not sure what was going on, but wasn't taking any chances either, we made our way back to the Jeep at a good yet cautious pace.

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/528b89...d6e1ade6655.jpg

I could not get this pick to show so click on the link.

This lot includes the hint but its worth reading. But read it after you find the cache if you don't want the hint.

This one was on our rout of 15 for the night. I have to say this one was the most exciting. I got new pics for my gallery and something to put in the strangest things I have seen next to a cache discussion. Let me set the seen.

It was midnight in these woods lightning in the distance. The crickets where singing there legs off or so we thought. I held the GPS and pickledcousin was close by. I walked out on the colbert as the GPS led, and pickledcousin walked down beside it like the hint says. I was standing on the cobert as pickled cousin was touching it and leaning around the tree. Suddenly he let out a sound that resembled that of madness. A long high pitched well that changed octaves mid breath.

"What??? I asked.

He stammered something like there is a spider or something the size of a crawdad in the tree, as here ran back up to the trail.

When he got to the trail still very jumpy he said when I was looking around the tree my nose came with in an centimeter of what looks like

a crawdad and a spider combined."

"Sounds like a scorpion" I said

"It had antenna scorpions don't have antenna" he replied

"well I think there is a type of scorpion that does I got to see this. Is it still there? I asked."

"I don't know I'm not going back down you look" he replied.

I walked down and flash light out and carefully looked around the tree. I saw it. I could not blame him for being so freaked I was expecting it and it freaked me out. It looked like a spider with a big horn on its butt, and yes it was as big as a crawdad. The body was easily as big as my thumb. I decided to take some pics check them out.

I should of had something to place beside it for size but I did not want to get any closer then I had to. After I took pics I looked around and started to see more of these things. But none were close to the size of this one. They were all over the place and I kept thinking of that big horn on its butt and wondering if it could sting or bite.

We went back to the car with out finding the cache. After we got back to the car I looked at the camera to see the pics. Not too bad for this cheep camera in the night.

After I got to looking at it I said. "I think its a cave cricket I have heard of them before."

"That’s a cricket like Jiminy Cricket? well if it started talking I would not be surprised." pickledcousion said.

"If it took us hostage I would not be surprised" he added.

"I’m going to catch it and take it home to show the kids." I said.

"You do that I will be right here." he replied.

I got a big gulp cup and headed back. I guess you don't get that big buy being stupid she was gone. ( I say she because she was the biggest and in the insect world that’s the way it works)

There was still lots of the little ones around. I say little ones compared to the big one but even the small ones were bigger then any other bug.

I thought well probably better to leave them be, a pic is enough.

I went back to the car.

Pickledcosin said "I think I know wherer the cache is its by the other tree."

"Lets get it" I said

We went back down and got the cache it was not by the tree with the big cave cricket on it. But there was small ones all over this tree to.

I got the cache and handed it up to pickled cousin he stayed on the trail. did not want to even see the little ones.

We got out the log and signed it.

Thanks for showing me a bug I have never seen before check out the picks.

Edited by pickleddreams

As requested by PM (by a party or parties who wish to remain anonymous) I present now, for your esteemed consideration, completely unedited pictures (except for some resizing) of the stuffed gorilla driving the (circa 1919) Ford Model-T that I found while doing a cache hunt as mentioned in my previous post. The white building, or structure, you see to the right in the first pic is a whole story unto itself...

But without further adieu, allow me to present Gorilla Driving Ford Model-T:

First, from a distance...

DrivingGorilla.jpg

Aaaaaand a closeup of our driver:

DrivingGorilla2.jpg

http://img.geocaching.com/cache/log/528b89...d6e1ade6655.jpg

He stammered something like there is a spider or something the size of a crawdad in the tree, as here ran back up to the trail.

When he got to the trail still very jumpy he said when I was looking around the tree my nose came with in an centimeter of what looks like

a crawdad and a spider combined."

That's a cave/camel cricket. They like dark, damp places like caves and crawl spaces under houses. We have a small kingdom of them under our house (Jerry is their king, we've met).

I've seen crawdads ranging from a few inches to nearly a foot long.

Sometimes the caches can be pretty strange. A body part left by someone's uncle; a container full of bloody eyes; a tombstone in the middle of nowhere; an ammo can along steep shorelines that is accessible only in drought years.

It's probably not all that weird to have come across lovers who did not know a cache was placed in their secret spot; or two rattlesnakes trying to see which one can raise themselves the highest; or the usual assortment of personal items that are sometimes found in cache locations. Still, what was the object floating in the sky and how did that cow get there?

Edited by Erickson

I went on an overnight backpacking/geocaching trip once. As I was hiking back to my car, I met a man walking down the trail holding a towel and a bar of soap who didn't have a stitch of clothing on. :)

Edit: the man didn't have any clothes, not the bar of soap ;)

2nd edit: Well, I guess technically the bar of soap didn't have any clothes on either.

3rd edit: But I wasn't really looking at the bar of soap so I can't be sure.

Edited by mertat

I went on an overnight backpacking/geocaching trip once. As I was hiking back to my car, I met a man walking down the trail holding a towel and a bar of soap who didn't have a stitch of clothing on. :)

Edit: the man didn't have any clothes, not the bar of soap ;)

2nd edit: Well, I guess technically the bar of soap didn't have any clothes on either.

3rd edit: But I wasn't really looking at the bar of soap so I can't be sure.

Why does it always have to be a naked man?