My dog chewed up my GPSMap60C, I need a new GPS

Search1128

Ok, So the topic title tells the story...

My dog found my GPS and thought that the rubber covered antennae was a neat chew toy. :blink: Well I found it a couple hours later and now my dog doesn't think the GPS is such a neat chew toy but the GPS is dead. I need to replace it. Any suggestions for a good GPS?

I know that there are literally hundreds of them out on the market now, but what are most of you all Geocachers using for your caching adventures? Which do you find most accurate, most rugged, with mapping, expandable memory, color screen, etc.?

I am partial to Garmin since I have had Garmin brand GPS since 2003 when we started caching. The map60 was the best one I have had and lasted several years until Rufus (the demon dog) found it. But if there are others out there that have surpassed the Garmin quality I am will to check it out.

So anyway... Any suggestions? Thanks. :blink:

Kirk

(aka. "Search1128" in the geocaching world)

Come on!!

You can come up with a better story than that one.

You just wanted a new GPS didn't you?? A little smear of bacon grease here and there. The "accidental" drop off of the counter to Fido's bed. The little "trip" to the grocery store for some supposedly forgotten item. I know how this works.

I'd look into a Garmin Colorado or Oregon unit if your main use will be Geocaching. If your main use is backpacking, back country use - you can't go wrong with an upgraded 60CSx. Both those also work well for on-road navigation paired with City Nav. If you are really into maps and map detail - go for the Delmore PN units.

If all those are a bit much for your budget - look at a Garmin Venture HC as a minimum but nice unit.

If you want to take a bit of a risk on a newer unproven but promising unit - go for one of the Lowrance Endura series.

Ok, So the topic title tells the story...

My dog found my GPS and thought that the rubber covered antennae was a neat chew toy. :blink:

So anyway... Any suggestions? Thanks. :P

Kirk

(aka. "Search1128" in the geocaching world)

Can I borrow your dog? :blink:

Seriously, I have a (still-working) 60CSx (no dog, sadly), and I've just about decided to upgrade to the Oregon 550t. It's a bit on the pricey side for my taste, but I can't resist the three-axis compass and the built-in camera with geocoding. I'm saving up my pennies and nickels, and hope to make the big buy in the next month or so.

--Larry

Hi. Sorry to hear about your dog and his chew toy. I saw you are pretty loyal to the Garmin brand, but that you might be willing to consider something different. I'd encourage you to read up on Delorme PN series GPSr's. There are lots of discussions about them right here on the Technology forum. I recently switched from Garmin to Delorme and I can't see ever going back. It's less than a lot of the Garmin paperless GPSr's, comes with maps included and if you get an optional $30 yearly Map Library subscription you can download aerial and satellite imagery right onto your GPSr. It's like having a mini Google Earth view on your screen with streets and caches clearly marked on it. It is so cool. Anyways it's your lucky day I have to run so I can't talk your ear off. Do check out the Delorme PN series GPSr's they are very nice and a lot easier to learn than some folks would say. Good luck on finding the right GPSr for yourself and if I can be of any assistance feel free to contact me via my profile page. Oh, if you buy a Delorme trust me you won't be punishing your dog, you'll be loving it for getting you to the point of buying a new toy. Good luck! :blink:

Hi. Sorry to hear about your dog and his chew toy. I saw you are pretty loyal to the Garmin brand, but that you might be willing to consider something different. I'd encourage you to read up on Delorme PN series GPSr's. There are lots of discussions about them right here on the Technology forum. I recently switched from Garmin to Delorme and I can't see ever going back. It's less than a lot of the Garmin paperless GPSr's, comes with maps included and if you get an optional $30 yearly Map Library subscription you can download aerial and satellite imagery right onto your GPSr. It's like having a mini Google Earth view on your screen with streets and caches clearly marked on it. It is so cool. Anyways it's your lucky day I have to run so I can't talk your ear off. Do check out the Delorme PN series GPSr's they are very nice and a lot easier to learn than some folks would say. Good luck on finding the right GPSr for yourself and if I can be of any assistance feel free to contact me via my profile page. Oh, if you buy a Delorme trust me you won't be punishing your dog, you'll be loving it for getting you to the point of buying a new toy. Good luck! :blink:

I like your little sayings at the bottom of your posts...killer!

I would second the PN series, a great paperless caching tool for less than most of the competition! (I'd say all, but I think the Lowrances and Magellans are quite cheap as well...). Maps come right in the box, so routing isn't an added expense. Some will tell you the routing isn't good, I find it to be very reliable but a bit slow on calculating routes. As MC stated, you can buy the $30 subscription which allows unlimited downloading of aerial imagery as well as other topo and NOAA maps. You also get Topo 8, a great tool which gives you many features, all included with your initial purchase!

Hey Larry, you could always just send it to me and pretend you lost it :blink:

Nice try. :blink:

Actually, I'll probably keep my 60CSx as a backup after I get the Oregon. After three years of rough use, the labels have worn off the buttons and half the rubber around the edges has worn off, but otherwise it's still going strong. The 60CSx is a great unit; I just want to do paperless caching without hauling around a separate PDA, and the three-axis compass and built-in camera are cool, too.

--Larry