Oregon 300 a little off course!

While I drive with my Oregon 300 on certain highways (I only have the preloaded basemap) the pointer is quite a ways off the highway I am on!!!! It will only come back on the highway once I zoom way out, approx. 3km or more. I am not sure if this happens on all the highways, but it seems fairly consistent.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you

You need Garmin's City Navigator North America road maps for detailed turn-by-turn routing. ((Suggestion of software piracy deleted by moderator.)) Works excellent on my 60CSx and gives me identical routing as my Nuvi in the car. The 60CSx is strictly for backup, but it will work just fine if I need it for street navigation.

Edited by Hemlock

I've noticed the same with mine, and just assumed that the basemap's are somewhat crude, and therefore have the latest version of city navigator on order. But, from what little driving i've done with it so far, it doesn't seem to be terribly off, like has been said the more you zoom in the more it's obvious. I took a 40 mile drive the other day up a local canyon that is constant turns and bends, and I was actually surprised how close it was. (And it tracked extremely well too)

I have the Garmin 24K Topo map installed on my Oregon 300 and I was checking out how the automotive profile worked. My visual pointer kept pointing in various directions as I was driving on NF Roads. It also showed that I was "off" the dirt road as well. As far as on highways, occasionally it would show me driving off the side of the highway but would later show the icon correctly on the highway. I know the 24K Topo is not for highway driving but it did show the highway I was on. Doesn't bother me too much as I use it for off-highway use and hiking. Just a side note, my Nuvi 255W with City Navigator performed excellent in regards to showing the NF roads. It indicated each dirt road and the FS road number.

I have the 400T (US topo) and the map for my county has all roads off about .2 of a mile on the North/South axis and .1 East/West axis. Funny thing is landmarks and waterways are dead on. I can drive a half a mile from my home in to the next county and all roads are dead on. The map show bends in the road to line up at the county lines when in real life there is not. I contacted Garmin regarding the issue and they told me the topo maps are set up to match the contours of terrain not roads. The funny thing is my whole county is flat plus or minus a couple feet. I know for a fact they or USGS screwed up years ago when doing my county. I had the same issue with my Garmin emap and US topo 5 or 6 years ago. Back then Garmin told me it was an error in the map data. You would think they could have corrected it by now, Nope. Don't get me wrong I love my Garmin products, just disappointed to spend almost $500 on something almost useless in my county. So when I geocache in my county it's the nuvi on the dash and the Oregon compass when I get close. Good thing I can hook up both at the same time to comunicator to download GPX files to both. :)

I have the 400T (US topo) and the map for my county has all roads off about .2 of a mile on the North/South axis and .1 East/West axis. Funny thing is landmarks and waterways are dead on. I can drive a half a mile from my home in to the next county and all roads are dead on. The map show bends in the road to line up at the county lines when in real life there is not. I contacted Garmin regarding the issue and they told me the topo maps are set up to match the contours of terrain not roads. The funny thing is my whole county is flat plus or minus a couple feet. I know for a fact they or USGS screwed up years ago when doing my county. I had the same issue with my Garmin emap and US topo 5 or 6 years ago. Back then Garmin told me it was an error in the map data. You would think they could have corrected it by now, Nope. Don't get me wrong I love my Garmin products, just disappointed to spend almost $500 on something almost useless in my county. So when I geocache in my county it's the nuvi on the dash and the Oregon compass when I get close. Good thing I can hook up both at the same time to comunicator to download GPX files to both. :(

These maps are based on the same information as the Topo 2008 DVD. I was sorely dissapointed when I loaded these into my Etrex and found the same behavior for the roads. Called Garmin and they acknowledged the fact and said they would log my dissatisfaction. Now I use the free maps at GPS file depot. More contours and more accurate roads for free.