OMG, I accidentally deleted the tracklog off my Garmin 60CSX! Possible to recover it?

Sgt_Strider

This is the strangest thing ever. I've never notice this problem before with the Garmin 60 CSX, but 5 minutes ago, I realized that the tracklog the Garmin 60CSX was not being saved to the microSD card. But before I realized that, I accidentally cleared the tracklog before I even save it to the internal memory. Normally this is not an issue as the tracklog is being recorded to the memory card. However, I made a mistake of not checking the memory card before clearing the tracklog. I have no idea why the tracklog was not being written to the memory card. I examined the card and everything was installed correctly. In fact, the last tracklog that was recorded was on September 15th, 2009! I just checked that file on G7towin everything appears to be good.

Now my question for you guys is whether I can somehow retrieve the tracklog from the 60CSX. Like I said, I didn't save the file to the internal memory and the file doesn't exist on the memory card. Any advice on what to do next would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Sgt_Strider

Yes....

There is no way to recover the data.

Doh! Thx for confirming my worst nightmare :D.

I just don't understand how my unit failed to recover the tracklog to the memory card for today. It has never failed on me before. Could it be possible that the memory card did not had perfect contact with the unit even though I had not remove and reinsert the memory card in nearly a week?

Also, is it possible to check the content of the tracklog from the 60CSX? I'm going to need to do these extra steps in the future to prevent another scenario like this from repeating.

f***, I'm having a terrible day :D.

If you cleared the memory ...the track is not there.

If you are sure that the track is not on the memory card in a GPX file named with the date it should have been recorded..... then, Yep, you're out of luck.

Download all the GPX files from the card to your computer and double check each one for the data in question.

Of course, you know now......always double check before deleting anything. I always download important data to three different programs that I use before deleting from unit.

You can access both the internal tracklog and the ones on the card with the unit plugged into a computer, if that is what you are asking.

Personally, I never clear the tracklog and just leave it recording everything forever.

I think there is a limit on the number of files on the card, so possibly that is your trouble?

Red90 - sorry, but the information I provided in that old thread is incorrect. I've since found out I was wrong about the 50 file limit.

What was happening was that only 50 files were being displayed on the GPS screen (a bit like the closest 50 waypoints, etc) and there were more files on the card. I haven't yet discovered what the limit is, or if there is a limit, but it definitely is not 50.

Bob

You can access both the internal tracklog and the ones on the card with the unit plugged into a computer, if that is what you are asking.

Personally, I never clear the tracklog and just leave it recording everything forever.

I think there is a limit on the number of files on the card, so possibly that is your trouble?

IIRC, someone said the tracklog on the memory card have no limit, but there is a limit to the number of points recorded for the internal memory. That's why I clear the tracklog on the unit everyday. If I don't clear it, then the unit will be at 99% for the remainder of my trip.

I don't think there is a limit to the number of files on the card. I've had 60 files on the card once, but only an x number of it were being displayed. As soon as I take out the memory card and plug it into the computer, all 60 files were present.

IIRC, someone said the tracklog on the memory card have no limit, but there is a limit to the number of points recorded for the internal memory. That's why I clear the tracklog on the unit everyday. If I don't clear it, then the unit will be at 99% for the remainder of my trip.

I don't think there is a limit to the number of files on the card. I've had 60 files on the card once, but only an x number of it were being displayed. As soon as I take out the memory card and plug it into the computer, all 60 files were present.

... but 5 minutes ago, I realized that the tracklog the Garmin 60CSX was not being saved to the microSD card. ... In fact, the last tracklog that was recorded was on September 15th, 2009! I just checked that file on G7towin everything appears to be good.

Today is Sept 15, 2009. Are you saying part of today's tracklog is there and part is not???

Dude, I was hoping for a more practical solution. Are you saying I'm screwed?

If you have a program that "undeletes" files. If you can read the Garmins internal memory in the tracklog area, and if the program can recognize the file structures, and the GPS hasn't overwritten that file location, then maybe, just maybe you will be able to recover the file.

Most likely it's like others have said.

The limit is believed to be 255 files.

I have differant track logs saved, from all over the hunting area. I make maps with them and if I leave it running it won't look as good, plus it will eventually be overwritten.

I export the data to make the maps, which saves the tracklog on my computer. I have a main file with all the tracks and waypoints, so I have a backup. Plus, anyone with a gps, a garmin one anyway, can get my tracklogs. So if someone wants to find my stand I can give them the tracklog to it.

Every few months, I just copy all the GPX files from the card to a "Memory Card" folder on my computer, and delete them from the GPS. Then at my leisure I can view each one and delete the unimportant ones and retain the others. Never have I lost any data or had a file limit problem.

Your GPS starts a new GPX file every calendar day, every time you turn it from off to on, and every time you "clear track log", so you can see how the number of files can add up .