COINTEST: Chickahominy's Cointest - See post #81

Chickahominy

I have come across a few funny chicken facts. I hope these add a smile to some of your faces, as they surely did for me!

• You can literally hypnotize a chicken by holding it and drawing a line in the dirt over and over. The chicken will stay still right there as long as you do this.
  • Did you know that some breeds of chickens can lay coloured eggs? Sure enough, the Ameraucana and Araucana can lay eggs colored in shades of green or blue, depending on the breed and it's ancestry.
  • In Fruita, Colorado, the town folk celebrate 'Mike the Headless Chicken Day'. Seems that a farmer named L.A. Olsen cut off Mike's head on September 10, 1945 in anticipation of a chicken dinner - and Mike lived for another 4 years WITHOUT A HEAD. Mike died from choking on a corn kernel.
  • In Gainesville, Georgia - the chicken capital of the world - it is illegal to eat chicken with a fork!
  • One punishment for an adulterous wife in medieval France was to make her chase a chicken through town naked. The source doesn't state whether it was the chicken or the wife who was naked.
  • Chimney's used to be cleaned by dropping live chickens down them.
  • The closest living relative of the t-rex is the chicken which makes the phobia 'Alektorophobia' (Fear of chickens) slightly more plausible.

Yuor coins are so pretty!!! the copper one is amazing!!! I loved it so much!!! the details n it are perfect!!!!

Well.. I saw in a link how to make the chicken home comfortable, how to make the nesting boxes, about the food you have to give them.... and many other tips!

For now.... this is from the site:

Lice and Mites: Check a couple of the chickens now and then for the pests. If one has it chances are the whole flock will have lice/mites. Check under the wings and around the vent area. If you find any, here is link for remedies: Chemical Insecticides or try using Diatomaceous Earth It's also important that they are given an area of dry, loose ground to dust in. This also helps control the lice and mites.

*** In case you are interested, I can give you the address of the site... :)

Beautiful coin Chickahominy!

We're considering getting chickens this spring. I'm leaning towards Bantam Ameraucanas, with perhaps a Silkie or Showgirl or two, as well. Bantom Wyandottes could be a contender as well. I've been doing a lot of chicken researching to get ready.

You mentioned you want large brown eggs? Then have you considered Marans? They lay the darkest, chocolate colored brown eggs of all the chicken breeds.

taste.jpg

The Maran's are the dark eggs in the picture.

Great coin! Thanks for the cointest!

There's an important social consideration on how to raise chickens. Even if you have a small farm and access to lots of food material, your flock size should not exceed 20 birds.

Why? Well chickens are social, class conscious animals. It’s from chickens that we get the term “pecking order”.

Once everyone knows their place, the pecking order works fine in groups of up to 20 chickens. Add more, however, and your poor chooks’ little brains can’t keep track of who belongs where. The result is constant fighting and stressed chooks.

Beautiful personal coin!

Here's a little something about chickens and eggs :

A chicken can lay more than 600 eggs in her first two years.

Oh, and one extra bit : if one day you're bored, try lifting an egg with chopsticks. Not just put it on the sticks and carry it, lift it from the table. Yes, a full egg, with the shell. Ok, start out with a boiled egg, it causes less damage when it falls down :)

I tried it and succeeded. It's not that easy.

dont think i can come up with any fact that have already been mentioned but i do have 8 of them!!

i have had them for 1 year

and i use to keep a record of how many eggs i got but stopped at 1000!!

here are a few pics of them and also a few pics of the coop that i built.

Plans.JPG

Photo%206.JPG

DSCF0118.JPG

DSCF0146.JPG

DSCF0154.JPG

DSCF0155.JPG

DSCF0158.JPG

oh just a fact that i know works.........

get the male members of the house to :) tinkle around the coop - the urine deters foxes due to a hormone in it......... worked so far never had a fox near the coop.

Edited by daveindeal

Chicks are separated into male and female by chicken sexers. They hold each chick by hand up to a 300 watt bulb to determine if it is male or female (the females are kept for egg laying). A typical chicken sexer examines 1,000 chicks per hour, 80,000 per day, with 99% accuracy.

(I wonder what it’s like on career day at school for their kids?)

Coin looks great,glad I got to see it at the event a few weeks ago. Great Job!!!

A chicken with red earlobes will produce brown eggs, and a chicken with white earlobes will produce white eggs.

Chickens have earlobes?? :)

There are many who will argue this point BUT the white meat of the chicken taste the best ;)

I dispute this! It does not matter how "moist" and "juicy" white meat is, the texture still makes it "dry" in the mouth (imho). Give me a leg quarter any day. :) This goes for turkey as well.

CF30

A chicken with red earlobes will produce brown eggs, and a chicken with white earlobes will produce white eggs.

Chickens have earlobes?? :)

CF30

Yup! Check out the blue earlobes on this Showgirl Silkie.

371382139_9b57c3f9e0.jpg

Silkies are the only breed to have blue earlobes, btw. (I was saving this tidbit as my next chicken fact, but I couldn't wait 24 hours. I'm just a wee bit chicken obsessed lately!)

Even though the earlobe is blue, they lay light brown eggs. I like 'em because they look like they come from another planet! When/if I get one , I believe I shall name it "Phyllis". ;)

Great coin! Thanks for the cointest!

There's an important social consideration on how to raise chickens. Even if you have a small farm and access to lots of food material, your flock size should not exceed 20 birds.

Why? Well chickens are social, class conscious animals. It’s from chickens that we get the term “pecking order”.

Once everyone knows their place, the pecking order works fine in groups of up to 20 chickens. Add more, however, and your poor chooks’ little brains can’t keep track of who belongs where. The result is constant fighting and stressed chooks.

So, if you plan to have more than 20, you need to keep seperate flocks, and don't mix them around...once a pecking order is established, keep the same birds together. Didn't read that anywhere, but it's my entry.

I can't wait for your next coin, which might be a nest full of beautiful eggs??

There are many who will argue this point BUT the white meat of the chicken taste the best :)

Well.. I heard something strange once.... It is not ... well... do not panic... I am not Hannibal Lecter... ;)

I heard in a documentary that human meat tastes like chicken!!!

Sarks do not like chicken meat! so most of the deaths of Humans that were attacted by a shark, were because of the blood loss in the sea!!!

Ok, this mostly has to do with sharks, but....

Oh, I have to follow the Rules, so... THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY FOR THE COINTEST! :)

capitals is not yelling.... just to make it clear that my post will not count! ;)

There are many who will argue this point BUT the white meat of the chicken taste the best :D

Well.. I heard something strange once.... It is not ... well... do not panic... I am not Hannibal Lecter... :D

Sarks do not like chicken meat! so most of the deaths of Humans that were attacted by a shark, were because of the blood loss in the sea!!!

Oh, I have to follow the Rules, so... THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY FOR THE COINTEST! :ph34r:

capitals is not yelling.... just to make it clear that my post will not count! :P

:):);) I took a bite of myself and I don't taste anything like chicken :D;)

Anyway remember to include a lot of calcium to the feed to increase egg production, egg shell hardness and bone structure of the chichen which can lead to skeletory problems. You can find calcium in oyster shells.

Chickens can cross breed with turkeys. The result is called a 'Turkin'

If your chickens are stressed they will lose their feathers.

??? they can cross breed with Turkeys??? WOW!!! Can you imagine a rooster that instead of the normal voice will have something between the rooster's voice and a Turkey's voice??? :);)

Or... did you meant.. Turkey's ;):) Ok... ok ... bad joke... I am bad!! :D

There are many who will argue this point BUT the white meat of the chicken taste the best :D

Well.. I heard something strange once.... It is not ... well... do not panic... I am not Hannibal Lecter... :D

capitals is not yelling.... just to make it clear that my post will not count! :)

:blink::);) I took a bite of myself and I don't taste anything like chicken :lol::ph34r:

Anyway remember to include a lot of calcium to the feed to increase egg production, egg shell hardness and bone structure of the chichen which can lead to skeletory problems. You can find calcium in oyster shells.

:);):D:ph34r: Hmm... have you tasted a raw chicken too? :P:D:D

The reason everyone says various meats taste like chicken actually has to do with the function of the mucsle being eaten. Frequently used muscles actually taste different than infrequently used muscles. Since chickens have a good balance of both types of muscle many different animals tend to have similar flavors to one part of the chicken or another.

your flock size should not exceed 20 birds.

you are allowed up to 50 birds befor you have to register with D E F R A..........but you have got to be a serious egg eater for that many.......50 eggs a day..........350 eggs per week........1400 eggs per week.........18200 eggs a year :lol:

Chickens can cross breed with turkeys. The result is called a 'Turkin'.

Chickens can also cross breed with the ring neck pheasant..........is the result must be chickant or pheken!!

Egg shells are composed of over 95% calcium carbonate, same as sea shells and coral.

Yoy have to supply your chickens with a oyster shell (£2 for a kilo) otherwise they lay really strange eggs....... ive had a few that are like a ballon filled with water.... squidges all around but when opened is a fully formed egg.

You also have to supply them with grit..... they store it in there crop (pouch in there mouth) and use it like a mill to grind up there food. its also £2 per kilo or you can by a kilo of mixed for you guessed it £2

Are Your coins for sale anywhere, Yet - THEY meet My criteria :lol::lol::lol: !

No :o Not for sale anywhere. I have been packaging and mailing out some that I had pre=traded for other personals. I also have two events this week and will be handing out to local friends :lol: Quantities are getting smaller and smaller...... which greatly saddens me. :sad:

Consider the location of your hen house and chicken run. A hen house can be as simple or elaborate as you want, but it must meet a few requirements. It must be

* accessible so you can provide food and fresh water to your hens. To clean their home regularly, you need to be able to sweep, rake, or hose down their space easily.

* dry. Hens hate being wet and will get sick if you don't keep them dry.

* protected. Depending on where you live, you might have a variety of chicken hunters from raccoons to dogs.

Are Your coins for sale anywhere, Yet - THEY meet My criteria :lol::lol:;) !

No :o Not for sale anywhere. I have been packaging and mailing out some that I had pre=traded for other personals. I also have two events this week and will be handing out to local friends :lol: Quantities are getting smaller and smaller...... which greatly saddens me. :sad:

( If only I were a local friend :lol: )

capitals is not yelling.... just to make it clear that my post will not count! :)

B):lol::o I took a bite of myself and I don't taste anything like chicken :lol::ph34r:

:sad::lol::lol::lol: Hmm... have you tasted a raw chicken too? ;)B)B)

Just what I was wondering.

You can easily put most chickens into a trance. If you try this, let me know how it works.

pet the chicken to calm it, then lightly restrain it and gently lower its head down to the ground, holding its beak on a coin or a rock that contrasts with the surrounding ground; hold the chicken's head in place for about 30 seconds, then slowly remove your hand. Once hypnotized, the chicken will typically remain physically frozen until it is touched or startled.

2nd entry!

While chicken feed should constitute the bulk of a chicken's diet, it is desirable (for both you and the chickens) to provide nutritious snacks.

Some favorite snack items include cooked pasta (with or without tomato sauce), steamed brown rice, seedless grapes, fresh greens, chopped cooked potatoes, whole grain bread, cheese, tomatoes, cottage cheese, chopped apples, melons, the seeds and "guts" from melons and squash, bananas, assorted veggies, yogurt. I've heard mealworms are a favorite. Eggs are excellent too, just be sure not to feed them in the shell, as you don't want to encourage them to eat their own eggs. Basically anything that is good for you is good for them. Likewise, don't feed them anything that is "bad" for people- moldy bread, sweets, salty foods, things that have turned fuzzy in the fridge.

Feeding your chickens supplemental foods will lead to tastier, more colorful yolks than you will ever find in commercially grown eggs.

Here is a great resource- BackYardChickens

You can find all sorts of good info here. :lol:

"Introducing odd treats can result in some very quizzical looks... "

2667094575_9c37654012.jpg

Edited by team moxiepup

In other countrys, there is a martial arts, where a chicken is cut and the blood is dripped on to the warrior. it is during a cerimony to accept the person into the martial art, and is considered a high blessing to have done. i cant tink of the name of the martial art, off the top of my head but if you would like to know i can find out,, just let me know. :lol:

Over at FaceBook, there is a game called Hatchlings - they have an EXCELLENT egg that hatched into a cool rooster :lol:

There are Egg Buddies too! Find the Eggs of the day and share them with friends :o

There was an egg of the day just today that reminded us of Gatoulis, :sad: it had the Rhodes Harbor Stags on it!

Edited by catsnfish

Over at FaceBook, there is a game called Hatchlings - they have an EXCELLENT egg that hatched into a cool rooster :lol:

There are Egg Buddies too! Find the Eggs of the day and share them with friends :o

There was an egg of the day just today that reminded us of Gatoulis, :sad: it had the Rhodes Harbor Stags on it!

From the comments I've seen...that Egg reminded lots of people of Gatoulis!!

Over at FaceBook, there is a game called Hatchlings - they have an EXCELLENT egg that hatched into a cool rooster :P

There are Egg Buddies too! Find the Eggs of the day and share them with friends :D

There was an egg of the day just today that reminded us of Gatoulis, :D it had the Rhodes Harbor Stags on it!

From the comments I've seen...that Egg reminded lots of people of Gatoulis!!

:D:D:o

Want better tasting eggs and chicken - raise them as free range chickens - Free the Chickens :P

There are many who will argue this point BUT the white meat of the chicken taste the best :P

Well.. I heard something strange once.... It is not ... well... do not panic... I am not Hannibal Lecter... :P

Oh, I have to follow the Rules, so... THIS IS NOT AN ENTRY FOR THE COINTEST! :D

Y

capitals is not yelling.... just to make it clear that my post will not count! :o

I am giggling when I shouldn't be. Don't know where you found this little bit of info! You seem to be enjoying yourself :D

The best part about raising chickens is the part when you get to pick original or extra cripsy!!

Oh and a chicken is made up of 75% water, so if you ever get thirsty, just go drink 3/4's of a chicken!

OUch! Poor chickens... I hope I don't have to eat my chickens. We get our original and extra crispy at KFC... Keep From Cookin'!