Note or Maintenance

McBack

Today I was wondering about my own log on my own caches.

If I go and check a cache, even if I don't do anything, should I log it as a Maintenance log or a Note?

If it's a Maintenance log, then other cachers quickly see that I've been there and everything is ok. If it's only a note, then it's only a note in the other logs.

Or how much do I have to do to when I maintenance it, sharpening the pen, change bag... :D

Until today I've mostly used notes, but in one way it's good to see that a cache is taken care of.

But of course, if every second log is a maintenance log, that's no good. :D

How do other do?

If you perform maintenance (e.g. replace the pen or log, add swag, replace/move the container, remove moldy swag, etc.) use the Maintenance log. An annual check of your cache, to make sure everything is still in place, would be considered Maintenance...even if there was nothing to be done. You took the time to maintain your cache (more cache owners should) by checking it was still there and had all the necessary items (e.g. pen, log, etc.).

If you simply visit the cache to drop a bug, pick up a bug, or trade swag, then use the Note log.

If I go and check a cache, even if I don't do anything, should I log it as a Maintenance log or a Note?

How do other do?

I ppersonaly log an "Owner Maintenance" log on my caches every time I check on one. The only exception would be when there is a problem and I disable it.

I think you are right, if the owner maintains their caches and shows it, then people will be more likely to notify them if there is a real problem.

My two cents.

MYater

If I go and check a cache, even if I don't do anything, should I log it as a Maintenance log or a Note?...How do other do?

This is up to you. I do not at all log my maintenace within say 100 miles of my home. Instead I email the last finder.

Outside that radius I likely would use a note. I may even remember to use the maintenance log.

Lil Devil makes a good point. Intent isn't maintance and sholdn't be logged as such.

Edited by Renegade Knight

If you're checking your cache, and it has no issues, there's no problem using an OM log, and in some cases it's a better option that just a note. Some software rates the "health" of the cache based on recent logs. If you've recently had some DNFs, but the cache is still there and in good shape, posting an OM indicates to such software that the cache is "healthy". A note is considered neutral, and would not affect the health rating.

However, if there IS a problem with the cache, please don't post an Owner Maintenance unless you've actually performed maintenance.

And under no circumstances should an OM log used to say that you intend to do maintenance sometime in the future. That's not maintenance, but it makes it appear that you've done some.

I use the owner maintenance log. Especially for older cachers or multi-caches, it encourages seekers that all is well with the hide.

I agree. I always use an "Owner Maintenance" log. It tells cachers you are looking after your cache and they should have no trouble finding it. Unless, of course, it is an evil hide. B)

What bugs me is when a problem is reported on a cache, and the owner immediately logs an Owner Maintenance log with "I'll check on it in a few days." :laughing:

That should just be a Note. The OM log should be used when you've actually fixed the problem.

I posted a needs maintenance on a cache is now at the center of an earth-moving project (thus, not accessible, etc).

The CO cleared the flag without disabling the cache.

Ugg.

What bugs me is when a problem is reported on a cache, and the owner immediately logs an Owner Maintenance log with "I'll check on it in a few days." :laughing:

That should just be a Note. The OM log should be used when you've actually fixed the problem.

I agree, but do know the reason that some people use that method.

I've run across a number of caches where the previous cacher couldn't find the cache and posted a N.M. log to the cache because "it's OBVIOUSLY MISSING" if they, in their supreme dog-like state, couldn't find it. The Needs Maintenance log throws a reviewer flag as soon as it is posted. Say you have in excess of 100 hides and you work for a living. Getting to the cache before the weekend (which may be planned out already) is impossible. You post a note to the page that you will be able to check it on _____. Your busy reviewer doesn't read your 'Note' that you will be out to fix it next weekend and posts a nasty-gram to your cache page. Two days later, they want to archive it because you haven't 'fixed' the problem (which may or may not even exist).

I've actually seen that happen. Posting a Performed Maintenance log takes the attribute off the cache page and pulls the flag from the reviewer's queue. While I don't agree with doing it that way, it does reduce reviewer workload and CO hassle. Hopefully the CO would disable the cache at the same time to keep it from showing up as available until they've had a chance to check it (but that also pops a reviewer flag).

Personally, I had a cacher post a N.M. log to one of my caches and the reviewer posted a note to it the VERY NEXT DAY, stating that it had come up as needing maintenance "for some time", and asking when I was going to go fix the problem. Due to the fact that I am on the road for days at a time, I wasn't able to check my email for two days and came home to find that... Fortunately, I understand that the reviewer is a, likewise, busy person who may not have had time to do more than note the N.M. log and click off the 'post canned reviewer note' tab.

I use the owner maintenance log. Especially for older cachers or multi-caches, it encourages seekers that all is well with the hide.

I agree. I always use an "Owner Maintenance" log. It tells cachers you are looking after your cache and they should have no trouble finding it. Unless, of course, it is an evil hide. :laughing:

I agree.. notes can easily be overlooked, but that Owner Maintenance icon stands out and tells everyone that it's there and waiting to be found. I add one most every time I check on my more difficult caches that only are visited a few times a year.