Found a cache that is archived!

KD5XB

I figure this has been asked before, probably more than once, but the search feature isn't cooperating with me -- so --

I found a cache yesterday. I know it USED to be in the system, because I stopped and found it once before, but never logged it because the cache had fallen into a pipe and was inaccessible.

Yesterday morning, I stopped to take another look, and somebody has been successful in getting the darned thing out of the pipe. I signed the BRAND NEW log, but now I can't find the cache on Geocaching.com -- not as archived, not available, nothing.

As far as I can remember, it's been at least a couple of years since I first tried this one -- so how do I search for this cache? I've tried using coordinates, nearby caches, etc., but it just doesn't show up.

Thanks,

Earl

I figure this has been asked before, probably more than once, but the search feature isn't cooperating with me -- so --

I found a cache yesterday. I know it USED to be in the system, because I stopped and found it once before, but never logged it because the cache had fallen into a pipe and was inaccessible.

Yesterday morning, I stopped to take another look, and somebody has been successful in getting the darned thing out of the pipe. I signed the BRAND NEW log, but now I can't find the cache on Geocaching.com -- not as archived, not available, nothing.

As far as I can remember, it's been at least a couple of years since I first tried this one -- so how do I search for this cache? I've tried using coordinates, nearby caches, etc., but it just doesn't show up.

Thanks,

Earl

Remember...Geocaching.com is not the only geocache listing service.

Also, it might be that it is awaiting publication as a new cache.

When I looked at it a couple of years ago, I saw a red elastic band holding a 35mm film can -- and it was laying inside the bottom of a pipe that holds a historical marker up. The only reason I found it before is that it was in a pocket query I made then. Yesterday, those same items were now clipped inside the TOP of the pipe.

It's certainly confusing.

I've tried looking in the geocache listing for the person I THINK owned the cache and came up empty. I'm not sure what to try next, but I sure would like to log it -- lessee -- FTFAR -- First to find after repair -- LOL...

I remember I sent the owner a message via the GC site -- is there some way to find old messages like that? :D

Only if you sent a copy to yourself, or if they replied to you.

There is no way to search for archived caches. If you know who placed it, that's one way. If you know somebody else who found it, that's another way.

Do you still have the old PQ file in your e-mail? If you knew the GCID, that's the only other way I can think of. Otherwise, you're outta luck...unless they happen to find this thread and respond.

Thanks,

Earl

You go to the 'hide & seek a cache' page and enter the GC code under 'by gc code'. This will take you to the cache page.