Garmin Colorado 3.00

allory

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3887

Changes made from version 2.90 to 3.00:

Added Waypoint Averaging application. (For more information visit our new Trail Tech website at http://garmin.blogs.com/softwareupdates/trail-tech/)

Added ability to load maps from any img file in the Garmin directory

Added ability to see a list of points from the map when several points are at the same location

Added customizable text to unit power-on screen (see \Garmin\startup.txt)

Improved render quality of GB Discoverer maps and maps with satellite imagery

Improved power on reliability

Improved connection reliability with Spanner

Improved appearance of depth data field when using big numbers

Fixed some scan points not working properly with Garmin GB Discoverer maps

Fixed issue with Garmin GB Discover maps not showing at some zoom levels with detail set to least

Fixed errors in user grid entry

Fixed the time label of the graph in Elevation Plot

Fixed selection of Leap Day on Calendar, Hunt & Fish and Sun & Moon pages

Fixed hunting waypoint symbols not transferring properly

Fixed issues with routing avoidances

The release notes for 3.0 appear to be a rollup of beta 2.92, 2.94, 2.95 and 2.96 -- nothing new that I can see except this:

# Fixed issues with routing avoidances

This is one I've not seen and I do have occasional problems with:

_ Improved power on reliability

As others have said, looking for a few more features, but not complaining.

Thanks allory.

Does this mean that the unit will recognize more than two maps at a time?

Meaning, you can rename gmapsupp.img > to any name you like and no need to compile all maps in one file like we needed before.

mytown.img

mytopo.img

mynewtrip.img

Having all maps on the Gps or Sd in the Garmin folder, no need to update all maps if you have an update of only one map.

TOTAL map size is about 4 GB

Does this mean that the unit will recognize more than two maps at a time?

Yes

I've had four maps on mine since I was on v2.95, with no issues.

- Topo 2008 (base map)

- City Navigator

- Florida 24k Topo

- some trail I turned into a map

I typically only have 2 active at a time in any one profile.

e.g. my Automotive profile has City Navigator (for routing) and the Topo 2008 (for the shading), while my Geocaching profile has Florida 24k and the trail maps

With this version, whenever I turn on the GPS, the built in topo maps (topo usa 2008) are turned on. It does it no matter what profile you are in. It seems to remember all your map settings except the built in topo maps. I tried renaming them, but then all kinds of weird stuff happened. So I am left with having them enabled all the time. Anyone else notice this?

With this version, whenever I turn on the GPS, the built in topo maps (topo usa 2008) are turned on. It does it no matter what profile you are in. It seems to remember all your map settings except the built in topo maps. I tried renaming them, but then all kinds of weird stuff happened. So I am left with having them enabled all the time. Anyone else notice this?

I'm not seeing the problem you describe.

You shouldn't be renaming the base map, IMO...so I can understand why "weird stuff" might happen.

Do you have any other maps loaded? If so, which ones? Which maps are on internal memory, which are on the SD card? What are all the other maps named?

I'm not seeing the problem you describe.

You shouldn't be renaming the base map, IMO...so I can understand why "weird stuff" might happen.

Do you have any other maps loaded? If so, which ones? Which maps are on internal memory, which are on the SD card? What are all the other maps named?

I think you misunderstood.

I have the 400T and normally do not have the bulit in topo maps (topo us 2008) enabled.

Try disabling the topo 2008 maps, turn off the GPS, and when you turn it back on, are the topo us 2008 maps enabled?

I have the 400T and normally do not have the bulit in topo maps (topo us 2008) enabled.

Try disabling the topo 2008 maps, turn off the GPS, and when you turn it back on, are the topo us 2008 maps enabled?

I just tried exactly that for my two primary profiles.

Geocaching profile - Topo 2008 was Enabled when I re-started the GPS

Automotive profile - Topo 2008 was NOT Enabled when I re-started the GPS

Very odd indeed!

Although, I always have Topo 2008 Enabled, so it's never been an issue for me.

I suppose, if you always have it turned off, you could remove the Topo 2008 data...right?

Noticed something weird after downloading the 3.00:

Before upgrading, when seeking for nearest geocache or waypoint both the directional arrow and the Cardinal letter would appear to indicate direction. When stopped (standing still) only the cardinal letter remained.

Now, the arrow only shows up while moving and either the cardinal letter, degrees, or mils appear when not moving.

Any ideas, my wife really liked it the way it was before.

I just tried exactly that for my two primary profiles.

Geocaching profile - Topo 2008 was Enabled when I re-started the GPS

Automotive profile - Topo 2008 was NOT Enabled when I re-started the GPS

Very odd indeed!

Although, I always have Topo 2008 Enabled, so it's never been an issue for me.

I suppose, if you always have it turned off, you could remove the Topo 2008 data...right?

I have the same problem with the 3.00 version - whenever I turn on my Colorado, the built-in map ( for me it is WW DEM Basemep NR ) is turned on. And for sure it is switched off when I switch off the GPS.

But this appears just in the profile which is selected in the time of switch off. I tried to remove the built-in map as I don't use it at all and it seems it works fine. I will test it more this weekend.

Edited by petrs111

I had run my Colorado whole saturday and it seems that deleted built-in map causes no problem and it worked fine, but of course if you're planning to use it one day again, don't forget to save a copy of it.

I had run my Colorado whole saturday and it seems that deleted built-in map causes no problem and it worked fine, but of course if you're planning to use it one day again, don't forget to save a copy of it.

I shall give this one a go this evening (only just read the forums after 2 weeks away on holiday).

The particular bits that interest me are:

Added Waypoint Averaging application (Finally!)

Added ability to see a list of points from the map when several points are at the same location (This has bugged me for ages - my 76CSx already works this way)

Improved power on reliability (Hopefully this means I won't be flipping the batteries out so often when the unit refuses to boot up)

I just noticed something very nice with 3.00. Maybe this has been mentioned before, but it's new to me. When searching thru Geocaches I can scroll thru ALL of them, in my case today 893 caches, and my last one is 183 miles from my current location.

Unless I'm forgetting how it worked, prior to 3.00 I thought searching this way had a limit either to number of caches listed, or by hitting a distance limitation. (I know custom POIs have this type of limit).

Improved power on reliability (Hopefully this means I won't be flipping the batteries out so often when the unit refuses to boot up)

I rarely experienced boot lock ups before I had installed 2.97beta. They were common for me with that beta (approx 1 out of every 10 boots). Since running the version 3.0 I have yet to experience a lock up, so it seems they have done a good job on that.

I just noticed something very nice with 3.00. Maybe this has been mentioned before, but it's new to me. When searching thru Geocaches I can scroll thru ALL of them, in my case today 893 caches, and my last one is 183 miles from my current location.

Unless I'm forgetting how it worked, prior to 3.00 I thought searching this way had a limit either to number of caches listed, or by hitting a distance limitation. (I know custom POIs have this type of limit).

Just confirmed that myself. I was able to scroll through over 1,800 caches, furthest one is 4,761 miles away.

Not sure which version they changed this behavior and I'm not sure how useful it is for a HUGE list of geocaches.

So far so good. I haven't used the new features that interested me yet (waypoint averaging, seeing a list of waypoints when there are several under the arrow), but I haven't hit any big problems.

One rather annoying new bug/feature in 3.00 is that it insists on switching the base map on whenever I power up. It only seems to be for the one profile (the one active at powerup), but it's pretty annoying. I switched base maps off for visibility reasons (things show up better on a white background than a green one) and now I have to switch the base map off after powering up. Only a small thing I know, but I suspect it'll get old fast.

Crid seems to be experiencing the same bug I reported: Topo USA 2008 (which also contains the basemap) is always turned on for the profile that is active when you start up. What it sounds like is happening is version 3 is turning on what ever map set has the basemap in it. It is a royal pain as before the CO draws city navigator, it draws topo usa even though CN covers it up. So it slows down draw speed. I do ot like the basemap built into topoUSA 2008 so I use another basemap I found on the web.

I don't use the basemap, but do the relief shading or land cover settings allow you to disable the map coloring? With these settings I have an all white map page if I'm using the built in topos but it may work differently with the basemap.

The maps I'm using (OpenStreetMap) have land areas, so I didn't want to switch that off, but turning off DEM shading seemed to do the trick. Thanks g-o-cachers

Crid seems to be experiencing the same bug I reported: Topo USA 2008 (which also contains the basemap) is always turned on for the profile that is active when you start up. What it sounds like is happening is version 3 is turning on what ever map set has the basemap in it. It is a royal pain as before the CO draws city navigator, it draws topo usa even though CN covers it up. So it slows down draw speed. I do ot like the basemap built into topoUSA 2008 so I use another basemap I found on the web.

I'm in Europe and have a Colorado 300, which probably explains the difference for what is, essentially, the same bug. You could try g-o-casher's suggestion above. It worked for me. I don't know if there's still an overhead having the basemap enabled. I'm not seeing the roads on the basemap while I have the OSM map enabled (but they do appear if I only have the basemap switched on).

It's still a stupid bug though. If I switch a map off, I want it to STAY switched off! But the workaround works for me.

I'm not sure if it's 3.0 or the Hotfix data (which I installed at the same time), but I'm seriously impressed with how quickly the unit acquires satellites now. I'm guessing that it's the Hotfix that made this improvement, but previously it always took a lot longer than my 76CSx. Now in the morning it's at accuracy of 20ft before I get the car out of the driveway!

I'm not sure if it's 3.0 or the Hotfix data (which I installed at the same time), but I'm seriously impressed with how quickly the unit acquires satellites now. I'm guessing that it's the Hotfix that made this improvement, but previously it always took a lot longer than my 76CSx. Now in the morning it's at accuracy of 20ft before I get the car out of the driveway!

Yes, the Hotfix change markedly reduced locking time.

Help me here, when did HotFix appear on the Colorado? I've had it on my Nuvi day one. What do I need to do?

I think with 3.00 It is an extra software addition via Webupdater only.

edit: Sorry, it came out with the Type-M GPS software 2.9 which was a separate and earlier release. Via Webupdater only.

Edited by Red90

I think the hotfix for the Colorado is a red herring. At least compared to my Oregon the Colorado takes much longer to lock in the morning even if I was using the previous day.

For me it doesn't seem to be the placebo effect. I have achieved near instant satellite lock after 24hrs off time, numerous times. I leave it in my truck plugged in though. I am not sure if it makes a difference, as it is turned off, but possibly it does some low power tracking even when off if external power is supplied? If I hop in my truck and turn it on, by the time the boot up is done and it displays the map, I already have a position, often before I even get out of my driveway.

I think the hotfix for the Colorado is a red herring. At least compared to my Oregon the Colorado takes much longer to lock in the morning even if I was using the previous day.

Definitely no placebo effect for me. When I switch my GPS on in the morning it's normally been off for over 12 hours. Before installing HotFix it always took a couple of minutes to acquire. It was pretty much at the same place on my drive to work, and at that point accuracy would initially be about 50-70ft until it acquired more satellites.

Since HotFix I now have satellite lock within seconds. This morning I had accuracy of 30ft by the time I drove out of my driveway (the GPS wasn't switched on until I got in the car) and by the time I got to the place where I previously used to get acquisition I had accuracy of 16ft.

HotFix is not part of the 3.00 firmware update. It's a separate install. I think it's only available using WebUpdater.