should I be able to acess my gps with usb only?

gitarmac

I have to import the data using easy gps or something. I thought that was the way it was done until I read posts from other people.

When I plug my gps in, my computer makes a tone, but when I go to "computer" and try to see it, it's not there.

The problem I have with what I am doing now, is when I "import" the data from my gps, I have to import all of it. If I want to make a map using only a few waypoints, I have to delete the others each time.

I have to import the data using easy gps or something. I thought that was the way it was done until I read posts from other people.

When I plug my gps in, my computer makes a tone, but when I go to "computer" and try to see it, it's not there.

The problem I have with what I am doing now, is when I "import" the data from my gps, I have to import all of it. If I want to make a map using only a few waypoints, I have to delete the others each time.

My first question is which GPS?

My 2nd question is have you installed the drivers for it?

Wow what a quick response! I have a venture hc, and a vista hcx on the way!

I unstalled and reinstalled mapsource because I was getting an error with "trip and waypoint manager". Then I had to jump through a few more hoops to get it to work. I have had to do this before actually. In the past I have had trouble sending a cache to my gps from geocaching.com. But it works now.

So I can get into mapsource and extract the data from my gps. I do not actually see a program called "trip and waypoint manager" I am assuming it's part of mapsource, correct?

I am trying to make maps. I have seen programs on the web but I'm hesitant to purchase them if they either do not work properly, or do what I want them to do. Right now I use gps visualizer from the web. I can get maps that look like this:

3917233344_235a89bde6.jpg

This is not what my mapsource maps look like. I had to download google earth to attempt to put my track on a satilite image. The map does not look good. Give me a moment, I'll post an example . . . . .BRB

:laughing: Well, I just tried to do it but I guess when I reinstalled mapsource, it does not think I have google earth on my computer.

So now I have google earth on my computer, taking up precious space, and the reason I put it there to begin with no longer works. :laughing:

I just want to make maps. In order to make the one I posted above, I had to use windows snip it to select the part of the map I wanted to see which limits the size of the map I can make, if that makes any sense.

I am wondering how expert gps would work.

So I can get into mapsource and extract the data from my gps. I do not actually see a program called "trip and waypoint manager" I am assuming it's part of mapsource, correct?

I am trying to make maps. I have seen programs on the web but I'm hesitant to purchase them if they either do not work properly, or do what I want them to do. Right now I use gps visualizer from the web. I can get maps that look like this:

T&WM is a version of MapSource included with your GPS, the first thing you want to do once you install it is get the latest MapSource update from Garmin's website. Google Earth works well together with MapSource.

What software are you looking into purchasing?

You can find out more on building maps (using free tools) for your GPS at GPSFileDepot.com

Edited by coggins

We need a little more information. What GPS are you using and what computer? PC or Mac?

Forget the above question. Apparently you answered my question while I was asking it...

Edited by RonFisk

Welp, I can go into google earth, which I downloaded onto my computer, and it will get info directly from my gps, then it makes a pretty good map. I cannot seem to edit the track colors or waypoint symbols but it seems to have solved the problem I had when using google earth via mapsource. When I did that, my tracks were cluttered with big squares of trackpoints.

It's just wierd that I was able to veiw my data in google earth while in mapsource before but I cannot now. I think I like doing it through google earth instead though.

Ultimately I would like to edit my tracks and waypoints, I would like to be able to delete sections of tracks that are redundant, delete the straight lines that is added when track log is turned off (in an attempt to eliminate multiple lines) and edit my waypoint symbols and lines.

I cannot use "help" with mapsource because it is not supported by newer OS and the pdf "manual" that came with mapsource (either from the CD or on line, not sure which since I had to "update") does not have much info on it. For instance, there is a "track divide" tool on mapsource but I have had no luck actually dividing a track. I guess there is a certain sequence of steps that I am not following.

I hope my vista comes with a new CD. But if it does I suspect it will screw up everything I have done today to get it to work.

I saw in another forum that others are able to access their vistas by simplly plugging it into the usb port on the computer, I do not understand why I am unable to do this. Every other gizmo I have can be accessed this way, my cameras, my kindle, why not my gps?!?!?

This is why I am hesitant to purchase yet another unworkable gps product. I actully purchased GSAK thinking that I was missing something not having a full version but it's still practicallly useless for me.

I have windows vista but I was using windows xp before and having the same problem. It's not the OS fault garmin does not keep up with their drivers and software.

I am still wondering what else is out there though. In addtion to expertgps, I have seen others while searching. I have not seen any reports of these being used in the forums I go to though.

Here is the map I was able to make using google earth.

3919169577_4fc61d64af.jpg

I would like to reduce the size of the waypoint font, amongst other things but am unable to. I think I may be able to go into another program to do that, save as a file, then access it in google earth. Kind of a lot of steps but I'm going to try.

cover me, I'm going in!

It's not really that it's hard, I'm just having a hard time making my maps look the way I want, and it seems I have to use more than one program to do it. Mapsource seems to be the least useful of all of them, which seems strange to me seeing as how it's garmins software.

At least in easy gps I am able to do a little editing of waypoints. That link I had posted earlier, gpsvisualization, seems to be the best way to actually make the maps. I can control the trail width, color, and some other things.

I would be willing to spend money on a better map program but it seems like what I already have would do as well as any of the others. I would love to hear from anyone that has used expert gps though.